Airborne 2001 Corsair Hardtail Bike

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

• $1330-$2240
  • You Choose Each Component to Create and Purchase your Dream Bike Online.
  • Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame
  • Cold Worked Seamless Titanium Tubing
  • GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) engineered seat and chain stays.
  • Sizes: 14,16,18, & 20”

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jake a Cross Country Rider from Allentown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, Climbs well, quite nimble, cheap, fun project to put it together on a budget.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailuer hanger. XT rear hub (I'll get to this later)

Bottom Line:
    First, the Flex. When my brother first tried to ride the bike he thought there was something loose. The bike is just like that. I definitely like it, but some may not feel the same way. Also, on the first ride i went on i went over the handlebars (remember, i shaved off like 7 or 8 pounds of bike from under me, this thing is light) and the bike came down on the derailuer and bent the frame. I was devistated. I brought it back to the bike store where I bought parts of the bike (i made an order to price point for the other parts of the bike and assembled it myself) and told him the story. Since bike stores hate when people put together their own bikes he charged me for the frame straightening and sent me on my way. I've raced the bike 3 times on the collegiate level with little difficulty. One thing that did happen was a problem with the XT hub, it seems to come loose (so that the rear wheel can wobble side to side) quite often. Took it back to another bike shop and had them tighten it up. It's starting to happen again so i think i'll have to bring it back soon. Anyway, getting to the bottom line. If you're willing to spend the money this bike will not disappoint you. If you're looking for a bike that will inspire you to ride more, or just one that's a little nicer than something you have now, i'd suggest this bike. It handles better than any bike i've ever ridden and as a result is fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Jim Thorpe

Purchased At:   online / bikestore (NJ)

Similar Products Used:   not really similar, but I used to ride a Bianchi Lynx SX Aluminum Mtb.

Bike Setup:   Manitou SX-E fork (best deal on the bike 80 bucks from pricepoint) Cheap "Answer" stem. Kore aluminum Handlebar, full XT. Mavic 517 rims, Thompson post, selle italia Flight saddle. Time Atac Pedals

Submitted by Blake Thrasher a Cross Country Rider from Champaign, IL

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    Great looking,that is for sure, the look of Ti is just sweet. Does have a better feel than say a cannondale hardtail, more compliant, more responsive.

Weaknesses:    Not quite the dream ride, never felt one with the trail

Bottom Line:
    This frame is a good one and I would recommend it. The weight is right, the look is right, the compliance is right, but there is something that just did not dial in with me. I never felt totally comfortable on it. I do attribute some of this due to a little movement in the fork, and some component issues. But even when everything was working the bike did not relax me and let me flow like I would feel when I switched bikes with my friends. I recently got a curtlo steel hardtail and feel about twice as confident and comfortable. I would recommend the curtlo twice over before the Corsair, but I do know that everything has to do with bike fit and I think the few sizes available to me did not work right.

Favorite Trail:   Kickapoo

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Demoed many bikes, Trek VRX 400

Bike Setup:   General crosscountry setup about XT level gear

Submitted by Christopher Latanich a Cross Country Rider from Ridgewood, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, Cheap, Rapid Delivery, strength

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
    Very nice frame. the guys at the bike shops will be hesitant to reccomend it largely because of the fact that for $600 they cant match it. you might hear complaints about the welds or their methods but these qualms are irrelevant, the welds are great and the frame is amazing. a very good investment!!!

Favorite Trail:   Massabesic Lake

Purchased At:   Airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   Just the frame... i have now gone through almost every type of metal. Ti, Al, Chromoly...

Bike Setup:   All Shimano XT and XTR, Rock Shox Sid XC, Race face headset, Time ATAC Carbon Clipless, Mavic Crossmax UST front and rear

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Strengths:    Where can I start, great frame, light weight, beautiful decals and the luxury of choosing my parts

Bottom Line:
    OOOOOOOOHHHH man, this is a nice bike, this is an update of my earlier post, and it definately deserves five chilis. Have ridden it a good bit, and I love this bike, once dialed in, I love it, I wish that I had gotten a bike like this earlier, come on, where else do you get a beautiful Ti bike for under $2000, I think that Airborne is about to bust out, 'cause they are the shiz-nit, go out and test ride one now, buy one and you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   see below

Purchased At:   Woody's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830, GT Karakoram, Schwinn Homegrown Suspension

Bike Setup:   18" frame, XT/LX mix, XT/517 wheels, Duke SL fork

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2001

Strengths:    Price, Lust factor, ability to custom pick your components, weight, warranty, fit

Weaknesses:    You can't get manitou Blacks, or race face or tru vativ cranks

Bottom Line:
    I rode this bike at the shop, and immediately fell in love with it. Ordered my new bike on the spot, and can't wait for it to come. My freind has an old Lucky Strike, and he loves his, and now I will soon be able to join him on my own Ti steed. I am sad my old ride was ganked, but....I do get this as a replacement. right now 5 chilis for value, and fit of the bike as well as custom component factor

Purchased At:   Woody's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   GT Karakoram, Schwinn Homegrown Suspension

Bike Setup:   Just ordered a LX kit, upgraded the cranks to XT, got the XT/517 wheels, Duke SL, riser bar, everything else basically stock LX kit

Submitted by Mel Chan a Weekend Warrior from Campbell, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent titanium frame bike. Can order the bike with a custom-selected set of components. Can be set up as a lightweight XC bike, or a more modest titanium trail bike. Ordered bike and then received it via DHL overnight about a week later. Customer service is generally responsive when contacted. 10-day money-back return policy and 60-day fit warranty. Lifetime warranty can be tranferred to a new owner (by frame warranty recertification program) if bike is sold.

Weaknesses:    Some popular components may be out of stock, and this delays delivery of the bike, or bike is built with substitute components. Hard to determine fit without seeing the bike, so have to go with best guess. Airborne has no local dealers in Santa Clara valley area (northern California, San Jose area), at least those bike shops I tried to contact.

Bottom Line:
    Although I've had the bike for less than two months, I really like the Airborne Corsair bike I put together with components I selected. A titanium bike definitely has a better, less stiff ride than an aluminum bike. The bike is lightweight, so I can climb hills more easier, and I can accelerate more quickly. Also, it is easier to maneuver around obstacles on a trail. By the way, for new owners out there, it takes a little time to adjust the saddle for comfort (e.g., forward-back and tilt adjustments), allow the bike to break in (i.e., adjust for cable stretch, adjust the front and real deraillers, adjust the brakes), and generally get used to the bike. Overall, the bike is simply a joy to ride, and I do so whenever I have the chance.

Anyone looking for a titanium hardtail bike should definitely consider the Airborne Corsair. I was concerned about build quality before seeing the bike, but the welds, frame finish, and frame alignment seem fine to me. Although Airborne gives customers a $25 credit toward service, which can be used to pay for someone else to put the bike together, the happiest customers would probably be those who can do their own basic service on their bike. The bike does get delivered almost fully assembled--just put on the handle bar, the front wheel, pedals, and seat post. Also, it's important to do some research on what components to build the bike with since these can change the character of the bike completely. Airborne's customer service can help with component selection, but really the only person knows the type of riding a customer does, is the customer.

Those new to mountain biking probably shouldn't buy this bike. New mountain bikers should try biking on a less expensize bike and learn what type of bike would work best for them. When they are ready to upgrade, they should look at Airborne.

For the money I spent, I don't think there is a better bike (even if on sale) at any bike shop in my area. The only competitive titanium bike would have been a Litespeed Pisgah, which lists at $2800.

Airborne's Corsair is great mountain bike and I recommend it to anyone looking for a hardtail. It's a terrific value. Happy riding!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge Tr., Santa Teresa County Park

Purchased At:   www.airborne.net

Bike Setup:   Airborne Corsair 18" titanium frame, full Shimano XT componentry with V-brakes, Duke XC shock, King headset, Race Face stem and handlebar, Airborne titanium long bar ends, Thompson seat post, Terry Fly saddle. Weight listed from website as a little less than 25 pounds.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Schenectady, NY

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    This bike rocks. Beautiful finish and welds. Rear triangle is a thing of beauty. Climbs like a raped ape.

Bottom Line:
    Titanium rocks. This is the sweetest bike I have owned by far. Unbelievable climbing power. Handles like a dream.

This bike is ideal for th XC rider who likes to climb alot and descend fast, with total control.

I built this bike up little by little however Airborne's site makes it possible to customize your bike to your own specs. Airborne is great to work with. Any technical questions I had were answered the same day. Truly great service. I would definately go back to Airborne but I don't think I'll need to. The Corsair is so sweet that I think I'll break before it does.

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Soul

Bike Setup:   Manitou SX-R, Mavic 517's, XTR hubs, Full XTR (except XT f. der, b.b.) LX cranks, Chris King headset, Thomson stem, Panaracer Fire XC.

Submitted by Uri a Cross Country Rider from Boise ID

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    The Titanium frame is excellent at absorbing stutter bump vibrations, yet has a stiff rear triangle that allows you to hammer.

Airborne.net was an exceptional customer experience. Customize your bike completely and if you need to adjust something or have a bad part and they'll send you replacements to swab out. Send the old ones back and your in business, no questions asked. WOW!

Weaknesses:    These came from some of the components I selected and can't be attributed to the frame or the company.

The Minori(?) water bottles failed quickly. A weld in the wrong spot that wore out.

Bottom Line:
    Great frame, you pick the parts, great customer service.

Purchased At:   airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back Full Suspension Race, Specialized, & Ionic front suspension

Bike Setup:   XT components (drive train, brakes, shifters, & brakes) Thomson seatpost (wow!)

Submitted by Stephen Jay a Racer from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2001

Strengths:    It's ti! Light, good-looking, not a lot of flex, and it's Ti!

Bottom Line:
    I'm very happy with my Corsair. It is a great all-around performer, tracks well, and is stiff enough to really hammer. Time will tell whether it holds up long term, but so far this bike has exceeded my expectations.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Cane Creek HS, Rock Shox SID SL

Submitted by Bryan Cooper a Cross Country Rider from Tupelo, MS

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    An unbelievable value! Coming off of an Aluminum frame hard tail, I was most surprized with the plush ride. The Ti frame absorbs most of the irritating vibrations that used to bother my wrists. It is really an amazing bike that looks awesome too. I'm constantly getting compliments from other riders including Merlin and Ibis Bow-Ti owners/riders. You can't go wrong with the Airborne Corsair.

Weaknesses:    Not disc brake compatible; but if that was an issue I would have ordered the Lucky Strike

Bottom Line:
    Whether your a weekend warrior, or a racer, this bike can meet your needs. If you want the most bang for your buck, then try the Airborne Corsair. The on-line ordering process is hassle free and lets you choose exactly what components you want on your bike. One basically gets a custom made Ti framed bike for about half the cost of a Merlin or Lightspeed.

Favorite Trail:   Elvis Presley Lake