Access 1999 Titanium Hardtail Bike

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Access Titanium

Submitted by BB from Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    Finish, uniform welds, low weight, overall value for Ti. Ti doesn't rust on salted winter roads here in MI!!!

Weaknesses:    No product support, as Supergo is no longer in business; cable guides on top tube are sharp! Decals, which were never even applied when the bike was built. No disc-brake mounts.

Bottom Line:
Light, strong, and built easily: BB threads were clean, shell and headset were faced perfectly.

I've ridden this bike over the Rubicon Jeep Trail in the High Sierras with granite drop-offs, through tight singletrack here in Michigan, wet-rooted singletrack in Washington state, NORBA circuit at Pacific Union College/Los Posados Natl. Forest, and steep single/doubletrack in Alaska. It excells in all conditions, including studs in the snow! Climbing is a breeze with a low-weight build, and the geometry is extrememly balanced, just on the agressive side.

For the money, there's no better TI frame!

Purchased At:   Supergo Online

Similar Products Used:   Speciliazed Stumpjumper Comp, Klein Attitude

Bike Setup:   Manitou MARS, King/Mavic wheels w. Panaracer Fire XC tires, King headset; Bontrager Racelight stem, bars, and post; XT brakes, crankset/BB/cogset, and Deraileurs w. SRAM Attack 9-spd shifters; Flight Ti saddle; Time Attack pedals.

Submitted by nando a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Strengths:    Ti. Geometry similar for Gary Fisher's Genesis

Weaknesses:    Decals?

Bottom Line:
We can't all afford a Litespeed, so this little frame was a heaven sent when I was shopping for either a steel or titanium frame (I find aluminum too harsh for a hardtail bike). It's been two years riding in steep, tropical island trails; sandy and rooty trails in Florida, and now the awsome trails of central Texas. The light weight has helped my riding (fast, prone to a lot of bunny hopping and mediumdrop-offs) and the frame has held up good. Sadly, it is no longer offered, but those of you on a budget looking for smooth titanium ride should try Airborne bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Auténticos in Juana Díaz, Puerto Rico

Similar Products Used:   Jamis aliminum, rocky Mountain Chro-Mo frames

Bike Setup:   Manitou Sx-Ti fork. Spinergi Spokes wheels, XT brakes and drivetrain. USE XC shock seat post. etc..

Submitted by Rome a Cross Country Rider from Coupeville, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Resilient, Corrosion proof- It is Titanium after all! This poor man's titanium frame.

Weaknesses:    No rear disc brake mounts. Sooner or later I will want to give in and trade in the V-brakes!

Bottom Line:
This frame rocks. I am a clydesdale class rider, but the frame and the wheels seem to hold up pretty well. It doesn't have the "sportscar" handling of my Klein, but it is very forgiving. It may not have cost me as much as a name brand Ti frame, but it is Titanium all the same. No complaints except for the lack of the disc brake capability.Don't think that Supergo sells these anymore though. Happy riding!

Favorite Trail:   Ft Ebey State Park

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Post Trek Klein Pulse Pro, 1999 DBR X2, 199? Trek 830 Antelope, 1991 Cannondale SM800

Bike Setup:   1999 Marzocchi Z2 Superfly, Gold Raceface Headset and Red Turbine crank on Real Design BB. Kore Lite 3 stem and Easton EA50 flat bar, Dean Ti seatpost, Flite Ti saddle, XTR derailleurs, SRAM 9speed shifters and chain, Shimano PD-545's and custom built wheelset(I built it myself!) with XTR rear hub, 3X drive/radial non-drive Mavic 217's laced with DT Revolution 15/17ga spokes and Red Spline Drive nips. Front- Red GT CNC hub, Mavic 217 rim laces with DT Revolution spokes/Red Spline Drive nips laced radial. IRC Back Country 26x2.125 Kevlar beaded tires. GT Titanium skewers, Tektro Mt20 Linear pull brakes with Avid 2.0 levers and carbon fiber brake boosters, and ODI "Yeti" Lockjaw grips with red lockjaw clamps. Red Ringle water bottle cage, and new Serfas mini bar ends.

Submitted by Don from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight(3.37lb.);no care Ti frame;nice comfortable ride;
NO problems with any welds and I ride hard and fast;

Weaknesses:    High standover height;not the quickest steering,but this gives you a more stable feel on fast downhill runs.

Bottom Line:
If you don't have any problems with the standover height
and the frame fits you,you can't get a better deal.I don't
buy that BS about Chinese made Ti frames aren't any good
and will break.I ride fast and hard and do fast DH runs and haven't had any problems.All manufacturers have had frames
that break.I rode this frame hard right away to make sure
I didn't buy a frame that had any quality defects.Two years
later and I'm still riding.I can't see spending a lot of cash on a HT. Get one that fits. I'll spend my cash on a
new FS as I'm tiring of my old FS bike.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Steel and aluminum HTs and FS bikes(no other Ti frames)

Bike Setup:   SID 100;XTR&XT;Avid Arch Rival 50;WTB tires;Ibis Ti handlebar;Tahoma stem;Cane Creek suspension seatpost

Submitted by Dave Fielders a Cross Country Rider from SF, CA,USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Strengths:    Ti, hardtail

Weaknesses:    Wields - My right chainstay pulled loose will descending thru a rock garden causing - I don't wiegh a whole lot (150) so I would not recomend this bike - and the thing is Access told me that this was "Unreasonable abuse" and that they could fix it for $350 - no thanks

Bottom Line:
I would look else where - forunatley it was pretty cheap so I think I'll live - go try a litespeed.

Favorite Trail:   well its not quite legal so......