Ventana 2000 El Saltamontes Full Suspension Bike

MSRP : $1995.00

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Buyer's choice components, Buyer's choice fork

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Culver City, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    Beautiful craftsmanship, strong, light and a little bit esoteric.

Weaknesses:    A little bit pricey??? But again, if you’re looking for something from a great little company that’s making good stuff…

Bottom Line:
UPDATE

Well I’ve been riding this frame for a year now and upgraded the frame suspension from the FOX Vanilla Coil R to a Float RC. The adjustment that the air spring allows is fantastic. And I really like the lockout feature. Great on the climbs. No complaints, after a year I’m just as jazzed as when it was new!

I understand that Ventana is coming out with some new stuff, check them out on the web.

This past spring I’ve built another YETI ARC (see my first post), so I’ve got a hardtail in my stable again too.

Favorite Trail:   All of them!

Bike Setup:   See below

Submitted by Raymond G a Cross Country Rider from Campbell, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    great downhill bike
great climbing bike
beautiful bike
well made bike
strong as hell bike

Weaknesses:    some coin

Bottom Line:
what can i say. i expected nothing less from ventana after riding the marble peak fs, i knew what i was in for. an awesome riding experience. on the downhill, the el salt is like a cradle. hugging turns, bombing singletrack, rocky drop offs, and fast on rolling slopes. solid construction and design really makes this bike the best out there. the el salt is also an awesome climber. it performs on hard-pedalling rolling slopes, and even the steep terrains. as a cross country bike, i couldn't be happier. well done ventana!

btw, the electric super dust color is breathtaking. it's a looker especially when equipped with the raceface system (submarine yellow) i feel proud when driving with my bike up on the racks.

Favorite Trail:   braille trail in woodside

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   factory direct

Similar Products Used:   mcmahon moonshot, santa cruz heckler/superlight, specialized stumpjumper, ventana marble peak fs

Bike Setup:   raceface next lp cranks/stem/headset, marzocchi z1 cr, xtr front and rear derailleurs, xt disc brakes, easton monkey lite handlebars, fox float air shock on the rear, xt hubs, mavicx317 rims, richey zed tire on the rear, and wtb enduroraptor in the front

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Culver City, CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Strengths:    Full on sweet!

Weaknesses:    A bit $$$, BUT worth it if you like quality!

Bottom Line:
Electric blue Salt! I've had my eye on the great stuff coming out of
Ventana for years now and finally saved enough to build what I wanted. I have
been riding a Yeti ARC / XTR / etc. for a few years now (great bike!) but
finally put a crack in the head tube! This helped me expedite my move to
the Ventana!

Well lets see... I've been riding light weight hardtails for nearly 14 years now
so a full suspension rig is a change to say the least! As I said, I've been
keeping my eye on the great stuff from Ventana for some time now, this isn't
an easy thing to do, the hardest part about getting into one of their frames
is the fact that I couldn't find anyone (no more St. Henri's) down
here in S. Cal / Los Angeles that even has one to look at let alone test
ride. A great name to remember is Charley, he's the guy at Ventana I had been
talking too, he invited me up (Ventana is located near Sacramento, CA) to
the shop for a test ride, a ride out on the local trails! Well unfortunately
(I will take him up on his offer to see the shop next time in in N. Cal) I
couldn't get away and couldn't make the 6 hour drive. But I did do my
research and was able to at least see a El Salt. Anyway long story short, I'm
now the proud owner of an Electric Blue Ventana El Saltmontes. I had to order the frame and fork from a shop in N. Cal, this is a story, not a great one, in its self. Here is the build: 19" frame, White Bros. AT-3, XTR drive train and braking system, Answer Hyperlight bar, Raceface stem, King headset, avid flack jacket cables, Thompson seatpost, Flight Ti saddle and Mavic X-MAX wheel set.

I got the frame and built / tested it a week and a half before a week long trip to Utah, needless to say I brought an full shop tool kit just incase. I was able to get in a few short test rides before the trip too… Well everything went great on the trip and the bike was GREAT.

If your looking for quality hand made, small company, not something everyone else has, full suspension x-country bike then do yourself a favor and check out the stuff at Ventana!

Favorite Trail:   Anything your have to ride UP as well as down!

Similar Products Used:   S-Works FSR, etc.

Bike Setup:   See below

Submitted by Bruce a Cross Country Rider from Mountain View

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Strengths:    finish, suspension design, strength

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This review is premature since I haven't built the bike yet. The finish (electric super dust) is the coolest bike I have seen. The welds and metal-work are a work of art. It is sitting in my living room driving me crazy as I wait for the parts. The frame weighs 5 3/4 pounds (postal scale). I will report back later on how it rides.

Favorite Trail:   Manzanita