Univega 2001 DS-900 Full Suspension Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Dino a Downhiller from MA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Strengths:    Promax discs

Weaknesses:    Damn square taper cranks, SRAM drivetrain(I have SRAM shifters)

Bottom Line:
SWEET bike, make sure u tighten the swingarm bearings once a month, and get rid of the factory cranks and shifters. This bike can be used for DH,XC,DS and freeriding.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Department srore "VALUE"

Bike Setup:   Avid discs, XT drivetrain, Azonic seat stem and handlebar, Sun Rhyno Lite rims, IRC Kujo DH 2.25", Marzocchi Z1 drop-off fork

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from nj

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    Good price for an entry full susser. Good mix of components. Disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    The stock Sunrace crankset. Flexes too much and makes crankin too noisy. My LBS swapped out the cranks after my second visit and said he will try to get Univega to pay for them under warranty. The ShimanoXTs are much, much, better.

Bottom Line:
I was an avid bike rider in my youth and lost the ambition to ride and stay in shape. After being diagnosed with diabetes at age 38 I got back into the fitness mode. I started to look around for a mountain bike that would fit my budget and was going to buy a Trek hardtail when my LBS owner showed me the full susser and since it is fully upgradable and affordable, I went for it.
Three months later and 25 pounds lighter, I am up to 10 miles every night and have most of my youthfull skills back again and this bike has taken all the punishment that I have given it. I would recommend this bike to anyone who is looking into getting an inexpensive full susser.

Favorite Trail:   Paulinskill

Similar Products Used:   Department store junks that freinds have bought.

Bike Setup:   Promax discs, Sram 5.0 rear, Shimano front, Sram grip shifters,Alex rims with Joyteck hubsets, Sync front shocks, DMN Bomb rear shock. Stock other than the XT Cranks.