Univega 2000 DS-950 Full Suspension Bike

4.06/5 (16 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Magnum, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Strafford, NH USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is a well designed full suspention bike. Its not to heavey and hold up to extream riding. Its a great bike and also has lots of potential to become even better. It also comes with a Cane Creek AD10 wich is a geat rear suspention choice.

Weaknesses:    It has mechanical disc brakes and has a low end fork, but with a little bit of money it could have a decent fork and hydrallic disks.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great bike. I really like it. I have rode many bikes and I seam to like this one the most. Its not very expensive but it still is pretty good quality. It also has lots of room to become better.

Favorite Trail:   local snowmobile trails

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   I havent used much that really is the same type of bike. I had a Haro escape 8.1 and a Gary Fisher wahoo. The Haro looked good but was terrible. It was always braking down and never seamed to wook very good. It also came with cheep components and never lasted. Stay away from cheep bikes !! The Gary Fisher wasnt bad, although I did was something a little better. It worked almost all the time, If I were to buy a new bike at a bike shop I would be looking at Gary Fishers along with other thing. I wouldnt ever consider a Haro.

Bike Setup:   Its a Univega with a manitou magnium for the fork. It has a rear suspention cane creek AD10 which is great. and I am running WTB 2.4 on it and that give it a serious ride. It still has LX components, but I am plaining on upgrading it to XT or XTR.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Snoqualmie, WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Strengths:    Low initial price, full-suspension frame

Weaknesses:    HEAVY! Promax Disc Brakes and RST Rear Shock really lame.

Bottom Line:
First of all, what a bargain! I paid $500 for this unit from Supergo and considered it a great deal, if only for the frame alone. I rode this bike stock for the first season and it felt clunky and heavy. Not much travel in the RST rear shock, poor braking with the Promax discs. Over the winter I put another $1000 into it and it's now a sweet ride. I switched out the Manitou Magnum for a MARS, went back to XT V-brakes and shifters, new XT cranks, and a Rock Shox SID XC rear shock. Now it cruises over the roughest downhill with 4.5 inches of rear travel. The upgrades also dropped 5 pounds. The frame is beefy and gives me more confidence than some of the lighter-weight frames out there. Some might consider it stiff, but I like to let the shocks do the work. Great frame for 200-pound "plus-sized" riders.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   The only thing I left stock on this bike is the frame! Re-tooled with XT cranks, V-brakes, SID XC rear shock, Manitou MARS front shock, new stem, seat post, saddle, bars, grips, levers, shifters, tires, BB, everything.

Submitted by Joseph Andrada a Cross Country Rider from W. Covina, CA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Strengths:    Durability, Looks, Handling

Weaknesses:    Pedals, Brakes

Bottom Line:
For the price, excellent. Replaced the pedals, stem, fork and brakes. This bike can handle anything now. It will keep up with the other bikes! So far I don't have any problems w/ it. Completely satisfied with it.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Meadows

Purchased At:   Bicycle Discovery

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by john a Weekend Warrior from pissed

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    fork is pretty good, wheels, and the brakes are ok thats it

Weaknesses:    where can i start, the rear shock is cheap the inner arm unscrews everytime i ride it and it has broke twice, the shifting is horrible and doesnt shift when you tell it to, it also came unaligned to the cassette, the frame doesnt look that great, and the bike is just fallin apart

Bottom Line:
not a good bike, its like a bike you buy from toys r us its just cheap. I laugh at the thought that they actually sold these for $1000 its pathetic. My chain broke on me, the rear shock has broke on me, the shifting skips all the time, the chain falls off i mean come on thats not up to its price. I only bought it for 500 and i think that was ALOT to pay for this. the tires are also to big for the frame and when the fork bottums out it skims up against the tire. I also broke one of the bars inside the wheel and the rear shifter. Its just cheap. i recomend that you dont waste your time looking at this bike. you would be much better getting a sugar 3 or some kind of known brand thats not gonna fall apart

Purchased At:   supergo

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Staunton, VA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Strengths:    tires, frame, wieght, look, pedals, for, etc.

Weaknesses:    front deraileur, rear shock

Bottom Line:
This is a really nice bike. i think that the clamp hitting the tire when the fork is close to bottoming out is sorta like lockout but thats my twisted idea. otherwise i dont think i coulda found a nicer bike at this price. the tires are like crash protection cuz when you fall theyre big enough to bounce you back up. the disc brakes are a nice little addition and i havent experienced any problems yet like some people have (i.e. screeching).i only give it 4 overall because there are many better bikes out there.

Favorite Trail:   Little Levels

Similar Products Used:   my first fs bike

Bike Setup:   stock except RS coupe deluxe instead of the el crappo RST.

Submitted by peter a Cross Country Rider from ny

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, Durable, Good Looking, Good rims & tires. Disc Brake, Shimano Deore/LX Mixed.

Weaknesses:    Cheap Rear Shock.

Bottom Line:
The Best bike you can get for under 500 dollar......period. However, Derby USA have decide to cancel the Univega line. hopefully they will still fullfill the warranty on this bike

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Hoodoo AL, Jamis Dakar Expert.

Bike Setup:   Stock, With Rear Shock Upgrade to Fox Vanilla R

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Barrington

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Strengths:    Manitous are pretty nice, tires, look

Weaknesses:    Peddles suck and the rear shock is no good

Bottom Line:
Great bike. you cant expect much better for something only $500 especially sense its dual suspension. It can use some upgrading if you hit any drops or jumps. Im getting a new rear shock and pedals on the bike. The fork is kinda messed up and whenever i come close to bottuming it out it skims my tire. I would get a new fork it i had the cash because im 125 lbs and i bottum it out on jumps when i get 5 feet of air or so. Good bike though. If you are looking to buy this for $1000 i would look more into the Trek Fuel 80 or something. IF you like to just ride out with your friends and have some fun its a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   I Like jumps and mud

Purchased At:   Super Go

Submitted by greg a Racer from alton,il.

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Strengths:    love the sedona 2.25 tires.can anyone really tell the difference between LX and XT.this bike has not missed a shift.a very cool looking bike.

Weaknesses:    i've heard alot about the discs screeching.haven't experienced it.i honestly haven't had a bit of trouble.

Bottom Line:
i guess i wasn't the only one to pick up on that supergo deal.quite simply the deal of a lifetime.i'm a sport class racer and would not be scared to race this bike.i find myself spending more time on this bike than my trek,and i love my trek.

Favorite Trail:   shawnee national forest

Purchased At:   supergolove the

Similar Products Used:   first dual suspension bike ridden,so i might not know better.what i don't know won't hurt me.

Bike Setup:   LX drivetrain.avid brakes.discs.wtb extras.what do you want for the money?

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, Fl US

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Strengths:    Cost decent components for the $
Seems pretty well built and durable...for 500 bucks probably the best you'll can get for that price range.
Nice wide tires, full suspension...name brand components.
Much better than any Dept. store deal.!

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but hey..what you want for $500 bucks.
Mech disc brakes are not the best... but not too too bad.

Bottom Line:
if you looking to get into a FS mountain bike.. and can only spend $500 this is it.. havnt seen a better deal for $500 unless its used or something. Probably not the best of XC long hauls due to its weight but probably do fine for a few hours of fun.
I use it as a back up bike for when my bikes in the shop or when a buddy with no bike wants to ride.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Trek y11, GF sugar 4

Submitted by Lou a Weekend Warrior from Hopewell Junction ,NY

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight frame, Massive tires, Disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Front and rear shocks

Bottom Line:
I spent two Months researching different bikes online and in the stores. I test rode and had a deposit on a Schwin Rocket 88 stage II but took a chance on this bike because of the value and boy am I glad I did. First, this bike climbs like a Goat. I was able to climb hills that my last bike (mongoose dr40) couldn't. Second, there is no other bike on the market for under $1000.00 with all the "stuff" that this bike comes with. Third, I can upgrade the things that I need to without breaking the bank. If you can still find one buy it and if you don't like it email me I have five jealous friends who want one.

Favorite Trail:   Fawnstock State Park

Purchased At:   SUPERGO.COM

Bike Setup:   Manitou Magnum fork, RST-22 rear,Promax Disc brakes, Deore drivetrain

Submitted by dave kolceski a Weekend Warrior from syracuse, ny

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    decent geometry & weight, good tires/rims, disc brakes, good shimano throughout

Weaknesses:    crappy rear shock, front derailer cable frame mounted @ angle...cable rubs/catches

Bottom Line:
For the price, you can't beat this bike with a stick, and they're pushing the ds-900!
I dont care what others say about the brakes, I think they are great...good modulation & stopping power-who wants to mess with hydraulics??!!
Front fork could use an upgrade, rear shock is crap.
If you want into this sport for under $500 and dont want your bike to fall apart under you as the others laugh and laugh, this is the bike to get.
Thank God for the recall last year on those diacomp's that were crapping out...now you can get a great bike for real cheap!
I give it 5 piles of stew for value, and 4 mounds of poo overall

Favorite Trail:   don't have a fav

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   schwinn s-10

Bike Setup:   stock but ditched the clipless pedals for some flats...

Submitted by Zach Richards a Cross Country Rider from Anacortes, WA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Strengths:    Components-tires, rims, shimano parts
lighter than previous bike

Weaknesses:    chain kept chatching on little pins in the cranks, but were smoothed over with dremel
cheap rear shock
brakes often squeak

Bottom Line:
excellent bike for price with very nice perfomance and agility

Favorite Trail:   anything

Similar Products Used:   FSR Sport

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Englewood

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Weight / Price / Disc Brakes / Tires

Weaknesses:    I haven't experienced any yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm a climber/mountaineer by trade and wanted to get a reasonably priced bike to stay in shape instead of running. I did my homework and for the price you can't beat this bike. The components aren't top of the line but are more than satisfactory and do a great job.

As for people who trash a lot of the products listed on this website, here's some reality:

If you spend $300 - $700 on bike don't expect the thing to perform anywhere near that of a $2000 bike. Would you climb Denali or Aconcagua with a Walmart tent and Coleman boots? You get what you pay for!

As for this product, I am new to the sport and think this is a great deal for someone starting out and not entirely sure of how far you plan on going into MTBing. The admission price is low and if you don't like it, hell, you spent less than $500 that you could probably get back selling it. Great price, Great bike!

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of the pedals.

Submitted by Aaron from CA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    suspension is active and most of the componets are good. Great deal for the price, cant beat it.

Weaknesses:    first time i went hard up a hill the chain snaped.
the breaks, Promax somthing are useless. every time you stop they sound worse than fingernails skraping a chalk board, i tried lubing them up but that dint do anything.

Bottom Line:
I think this is one of if not the best bike out thair you can get new for the $$$. It is light as far as FS's go and the suspension definetaly works. If you have the $$$ get somthing good, but if your like most of us Poor than thain you should look in to it. I do a lot of jumping and drop offs, bottmed out the shock easely ganna be the first thing i upgrade, next to the crappy breaks.

Favorite Trail:   anny place around carlsbad

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Raligh, Fisher, C-dale.

Submitted by Don Scroggins a Cross Country Rider from Seminole, TX USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Strengths:    Great ride, excellent components, and superb acceleration in rough terrain. For the trails that I ride in West Texas, I could not have made a better choice.

Weaknesses:    I have not found any.

Bottom Line:
I am certain that I can take this bike on any trail in nearly any condition. Here in West Texas we have some of the rockiest single track around and I was continually losing my line and traction. On my first ride on the Univega 950 I found myself screaming along trails that I had previously struggled.
If you are interested in racing or just having a great single track experience, I recommend this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Caprock Caynons and San Angelo State Parks in Texas