Univega 2000 DS-900 Full Suspension Bike

3.2/5 (5 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Henniker, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is bombproof
Rims are bombproof
good geometry
price was unbeatable

Weaknesses:    nothing so far. I swapped out the parts I didn't like, but on the stock one the spring in the rear shock was too soft for anyone over 25 lbs, and the Jett fork bottomed out when I leaned over the handlebars...not good, i'm only 175 lbs. Also, the stem was kinda funny shaped.

Bottom Line:
I basically tried to turn this XC bike into an all around bike, something that I could DH and Freeride with, but since the local mountain doesn't have lift service, I needed to be able to crank up the hill, as well. My project went very well, and I ended up with 4 inches of travel in front and back, and one hell of a bike. The only thing I may put on it is a 50mm X 10 degree Azonic Shorty stem, because one of the things they did with the bike to make it easy to climb with is to give it a long stem, and the frame's geometry wants to make you lean forward. This is the best bike i've ever ridden and is the most versatile as well. And for a total of around a grand including upgrades, who's complaining?

Favorite Trail:   anything with drops and DH

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my first FS bike, but i've ridden many other ones before, and this is the best one yet.

Bike Setup:   2000 Marzocchi Z3 100 Air fork, Fox vanilla R shock, Selle Italia Karve seat, avid rim brakes and levers, XTR rear derailleur, 18" frame, everything else is stock.

Submitted by Martha a Weekend Warrior from La Jolla

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    Smooth ride for a non serious biking enthusiast. Much better than my old bike without the rear shocks. Makes a big difference at the end of the day in terms of comfort. Makes riding more fun.

Weaknesses:    The bike is a little bit on the heavy side for me (but I'm only 5'5' and 120 lbs. But for the price it's worth it.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike! Very smooth shifting and handles cross country trails in San Diego easily.

Purchased At:   Pacific Beach

Bike Setup:   Rox Shox Jett forks.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Dallas , TX USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    The DS900 is a comfortable bike to ride. The frame is fairly light and there is not alot of flex in the rear swing arm.

Weaknesses:    The rock Shock (Jett) are very basic. I have recently upgraded to a SID air system.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this is a very good bike for the price. It's no Cannondale but still a very good bike. The setup is comfortable and effective, I will be riding it for a long time. This is a great bike for the average or slightly agressive rider.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Ridge

Purchased At:   Cycle Spectrum

Bike Setup:   Rock Shock (SID) otherwise a factory bike

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    frame is pretty tuff. the wheel and tires are okay. the seat and seatpost are light.

Weaknesses:    Crankset-Truvative "FIREX" what a piece of $h!t. I already bent the "granny" chainring on a steep climb. that's totally WEAK man!!
Rockshox Jett- average
Front Derailleurs- I'm still trying to figure out what the hell it is. What ever it is.. it needs replacement.
Shifters- some old a$$ shimano 8 speed/ with a deore mega9 Rear derailleur?????what the heLL??

Bottom Line:
This bike is a total trash. I would not recomend anybody to buy this. If your trying to upgrade to a DS bike. save your self the trouble and get something more durable. Buy something that you can see. I ordered this bike from supergo and I got about half of the components they had advertised. They sent me some old a$$ parts that does'nt even match with what they had advertised. Anyway, the bottom line is spend your money wisely. this bike is not worth it.. even for just $300. . The mix of components are chosen poorly and cheaply. I guess I can't expect much from a cheap bike!!! This bike should be sold at Wallmart or Super K-mart. Even Flea Markets have better bikes than this.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere challenging

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Non- this is my first dual suspension and I already hate it.

Bike Setup:   scrap metal that somewhat rolls.

Submitted by Robert Sully a Downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Strengths:    Derailleurs, brakes and shifters

Weaknesses:    jett fork

Bottom Line:
I love riding down hill as fast as possible. I don't race or anything and I didn't want to spend more money on a tricked out bike then I would for a small car. I choose the Univega DS 900 because of the price and mix of components. After riding it hard for a good amount of time, my only complaint is the Rock Show Jett fork. It flexes a lot for my size (6' 5" 240lbs) and the travel doesn't feel as plush as I think it should. When I get the $$ I plan on getting a marzocchi. Other then that, I got the bike I was looking for at a great price. if you want an AFFORDABLE full suspension bike, look no further