Trek 2001 Fuel 90 Full Suspension Bike

4.05/5 (130 Reviews)

• Fully independent cross country suspension at a hardtail weight. Alpha SLR aluminum in a Pro Race geometry.
  • Rolf Satellite is a paired spoke design that's strong and light. An optional disc brake package, with Hayes Hydraulic disc brakes and Rolf Dolomite wheels, adds superior stopping power in slop or steep descents.
  • Manitou SX R fork (80mm travel) Fox Float rear air shock (up to 3" of rear wheel travel) are dialed for XC racing.
  • Bontrager Comp crank and Shimano LX/XT 9-speed shifting.
  • S, M, L, XL
  • Matte Black

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent looking bike design, entry level full suspension in pro category, full hydro disk brakes, disk wheels, 24 spokes only!

Weaknesses:    The rear Rolf Dolomite Disk rim has cracks at 3 different nipples (I was told that the "small" sized frame is meant for a rider that is at most 5'6" & 170lbs and I'm currently 5'7" & 210lbs).

Bottom Line:
    UPDATE: This is an update on my 7/22/2005 review.
    I still own and ride this bike...
    1 - I've had to replace the rear wheel on 2/16/2007. I replaced it with a Sun Rhyno Lite (Black/32H) rim, Shimano Deore XT disk (Black/FH-M756) hub, DT Swiss Champion (Black/2.0mm) spokes, Silver nipples from www.bikecanada.com.
    2 - I had the original seals (2001) on the Fox Float rear shock replaced. Air loss was up to -10psi over a month. It was the ONLY cause of my bikes creaking/cracking/squeaking sound noticed since June 2005. I was very lucky that a cheap $20 item solved my problem as I have read other online owners complaining of noises relating to - cracked frames, damaged bottom brackets and having to replace crankarms & chain wheels.
    The majority of the repairs & upgrades to my house were completed in 2006, I'll have a lot more time to cycle in 2007. The BLT Metrino 15 night light system that came with the rear wheel that I received on 2/16/2007 now won't limit me to day-time only riding as in 2006.
    Bottom Line: The BEST BIKE for the $$$ I've ever had!!!

Purchased At:   Earl's Cycle / went out of business 2003

Similar Products Used:   1996 GT Ricochet - stock and then updated with numerous parts from 1996 to 2001 (I still have this bike and use it when my Trek is in the shop).

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk (stock + updated + added parts) - seatpost, grips, tires, tubes, brake pads, computer, air horn, head & tail lights and now a new rear wheel.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2005

Strengths:    Good geometry. Warrenty works. Runs great after a tune up. Little suspension bob. Climbs good for a full-suspension.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck. Frame creak. Crack at the seatpost. Overall lose feel in the controls. Frame sometimes feels flexy. Bontrager crap. Roff wheels too weak, breaking spokes.

Bottom Line:
    I bought the bike new, and right away experienced the chain suck. I took it back, and the local bike shope said to put on new cranks. That didn't work. It would shift good for 2 or 3 rides after tune ups. Sometimes it was so bad the chain would get stuck between the frame and cranks. I broke the chain in a fit of rage trying to get it unstuck.

Then it started to creak. I took the bike from shop to shop trying to fix the problem. They couldn't figure it out and I kept spending money on tune ups.

Finally the frame cracked at the seatpost. The shop I bought the bike from had me thinking Trek wouldn't replace the frame, so I went to another shop. They said Trek would have to decide if it was under warrenty. They called back and said I would get a new frame in a week or so but I would have to pay to have the bike rebuilt. I also picked up a new fork and head set from Jenson online. When I picked up my bike I was bummed. Trek only replaced the main part of the frame. They didn't give me a new linkage or rear-end. The new main frame was black with a big Trek sticker and headtube logo. Nothing else. Now the bike looks funny and will be harder to sell because the rear end is old and the front is new. I would have been happier with a whole frame replacement. I also had to pay $100 for the rebuild and shock instation. Trek should have paid for the rebuild, not me.

This will be the last Trek I buy.

Favorite Trail:   Amasa Back

Purchased At:   The Bike Shopee

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attiude

Bike Setup:   Replaced cranks with LX. Upgraded to XT shifters. Upgraded to Marzocchi Marathon XC.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Weaknesses:    The rear Rolf Dolomite Disk rim has cracks at 3 different nipples. 2 small, 2 med. 2 large in length. The large crack runs from the center of the rim to the edge then parallel to it in an "L" shape.

Bottom Line:
    I still own and ride this bike. I'm 5'7" and weigh 190lbs.
    I picked up the bike and rode it home right after I had dropped off my luggage after returning from a 16 day trip to Florida where I rode my 1996 GT Ricochet. I found the stock seatpost (30cm long) as being 5cm's too short as I rode the bike home with the seatpost at max. height. Within a week I had it replaced with a Bontrager 45cm long version (for an extra $50/CAN as the shop would not let me swap it with the stock 1 for free). At the same time I switched out the knobby Bontrager Jones 26"x2.0" tires at 60psi for Michelin Wild Gripper City 26"x1.5" tires at 80psi. Then the Cheng Shen or Norco tubes of 26"x1.75-2.125" to Bontrager Narrow Super Light 26"x1.25-1.75" tubes. I had Kevlar/Spin Skins inserted until they crumbled and caused a flat in 2004, I now use SLIME. I've fallen off the bike 4x from Oct.15,2003 to June 30,2005.
    The 1st after clipping a pedestrian at night, I came off and only the left grip ripped. 2nd was after I was trying to go left and the front wheel hit and ran parallel to the sidewalk, but I went down holding on. 3rd was on an elevated wooden bridge, I thought it was the moonlight but no - it was frost. Again I was going to the left but the bike went straight with me still holding on. The 4th and final one was on June 30,2005. the day before CANADA DAY.
    The city, after waiting 6 months opted to fill in washed away asphalt with loose gravel. I fell on my left side again and still holding on. I had been out on the exact route during the day (with no gravel), so it caught me off-guard, but the bike still held-up! The wheels have never had to be trued. This past March 2005, I had the shifter cables re-tensioned. This past May-June (5 1/2weeks) it was out of action, the right Hayes hydro brake began to leak even after re-building it 3x. A mix-up with the back-up parts ordering guy cost most of the time loss. My bike too has developed a creaking sound by the cranks/bb area. I loosened, cleaned, tightend allen bolts and even used WD-40 but it only quieted the sound (by 30%) temporarily.
    Bottom Line: The BEST BIKE for the $$$ I've ever had!!!

Purchased At:   Earl's Cycle / went out of business 2003

Similar Products Used:   1996 GT Ricochet - stock and then updated with numerous parts from 1996 to 2001.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk - stock and then updated seatpost, grips, tires, tubes. Added a computer, horn and lights.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    Very smooth ridding bike. Pedals well with little suspension bob. Hayes Hyros are tremendous. Dolomite wheels are strong as nails; albiet a bit on the heavy side.

Weaknesses:    I have replaced all of the Bontrager parts. The cranks were replaced within the first month to help with the notorious chainsuck. Still has chainsuck even with new cables, chain, and rings. Also has the characteristic frame creak. Manitou fork blown twice.

Bottom Line:
    I have waited quite a long time to write my review on this bike. I am a bit of a Trek loyalist but I have to admit the first year of this bike was not too great. The bike has dramatically improved my riding (when it is working well) but some of the quirks with the first model year have taken a good bit of the fun out of it. For the most part, I have upgraded everything on the bike except the frame, shock, wheels and fork (it should be). My local trek dealer has been very unhelpful.

I am not an agressive rider but do ride 4-5 times a week. If I where considering a new bike (next year), I would look at the newer fuel models but would also consider Specialized, Elsworth, and Santa Cruz

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain

Purchased At:   MTBR

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Fuel 90, Hayes Disks, Easton Monkelites Low riser, King Headset, Thompson Stem and Seatpost,All XT drivetrain, Panaracer Fire,

Submitted by Tomas a Weekend Warrior from Prague, CZE

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Strengths:    Just a great bike. It has perfect riding qualities in both descends and climbs. Perfect relation between value and price paid. And last but not least - cool design (esp. black frame w. white Psylo).

Weaknesses:    Only 76mm (3") of rear travel :-(((, although it feels like longer travel.

Bottom Line:
    It is my first FS bike and I still love it. Manitou SXR was a bit too hard for me so I've changed it for Psylo and now I can ride nearly everywhere without having my hands and butt bruised. Perfect choice for people who just don't want to make huge drops, but like to have comfortable bike with good parts for a reasonable price.

Bike Setup:   Psylo SL U-Turn, Fox Float, hayes hydro, XT/LX, rolf dolomite disc, bontrager stuff

Submitted by Jon a Racer from Dillsburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent suspension design. Virtually eliminates bounce on uphill riding.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck problems. Poor front suspension. Break levers are wearing out, and fast.

Bottom Line:
    It's a good value for what I paid, and it's been a great first bike for me to start racing on. I wouldn't suggest buying it if you are considering superiorly progressing at racing. But if you are looking for a fun and awesome bike to start out on and learn on, go for the FUEL. They for the most part rock.

Favorite Trail:   If I told you I'd have to kill you

Purchased At:   Holmes Cycling and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Cliff Cooper a Weekend Warrior from Indnpls. IN

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    As soon as you get on this bike you feel faster. Its very fast on singletrack. Climbs very well. Decends excellent for a bike with 3 inches of travel. Very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    the suspension bobs pretty badly when climbing in the bigring, The frame flexs alittle, comes with fox float the only problem I have with the bontrager parts is the chainrings wear quickly

Bottom Line:
    this is a great bike. I have no regets from buying this bike. This is the best sport I have ever tryed.I really dont have anything to say but I love this bike and I would spending money on trek products they have allways been good to me.

Favorite Trail:   green river state park kentucky

Purchased At:   Bicycle Garage Indy

Similar Products Used:   bullit,nrs 2, trek fuel 80(wich I still own and love,great buy),trek 4300

Bike Setup:   hayes hydrolic discs, rolf dolomite disk, rolf hubs, xt, lx derailiers, Fox RLC 100mm fork

Submitted by Mr Hammer a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    I purchased ONLY the Frame, and built it up from my exisiting parts.

Great suspension system - feels great, hammers almost like a hard tail. Reasonable weight, and looks great! I went for the '01 for the Matte Black Paint job... Geometry was perfect for me. Fast on the flats, climbs very well, and is smooth on the bumps - what else could you ask for?

Weaknesses:    The rear shock - replace it with something a bit higher end (Float RL/RC). The stock Float can be a bit of a pogo stick at times I find, but otherwise works extremely well on the trails.

Tends to be a bit more lateral frame flex than I would like, but nothing unusual by any stretch - I'm used to riding a 95 Klein Attitude which is insanely stiff. I've noticed the frame flex (and slight suspension bob) to really soak up some serious pedalling energy at times - usually hammering on the road, but I don't think it's anything unusual for this type of a frame. I suspect on the '02 with the ZR9000 Aluminum, there may be a reduction in frame flex.

Clearance between chain rings and the chain stays can be a problem if you run standard size rings... because of how the rear swing-arm is welded, the spacing between the middle ring and chainstay is very tight (to the point where throwing the chain can do some big-time damage to your chain stay). But, I run a rather large middle ring, so I imagine a smaller ring (and for sure compact drive) will fix that.

Bottom Line:
    Overall I'm extremely happy with this bike. This is my first serious venture into the XC full suspension market, and I'm very pleased. What sold me on the Trek was the similar geometry to my Klein, the killer badd-ass black paint, and the price. Not to mention, it's a BLAST to ride! The feel overall, is very nice - small bumps are almost completely gone, big hits are soaked up nicely -- but as mentioned, a better rear shock (lock would have come in handy a time or two this year) is in order I think.

If I were buying from scratch, I would certianly save my pennis and go for the 98 - some of the stock Bontrager parts are pretty crappy (even throughout the entire line). If you can afford it, buy a frame and build it the way you want.

If you're a fairly active recreational rider, this is a fantastic bike. Even as a serious racing platform I can see it working extremely well... with some (major) stock upgrades mind you.

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude, Rocky Element.

Bike Setup:   2000 Bomber Atom 80, XTR Brakes and Levers, XT Shifters, XT/LX Deraileurs, Mavic 517's with XTR/Syncros Hubs, Easton Monkey Lite Bar, Thomson Stem, Race Face Cranks, Race Face Seat Post.

Submitted by Scott Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Papillion, NE USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    Climbs like a mountain goat, scary fast flat out

Weaknesses:    Bontrager chain rings, XL frame broke (replaced), stock wheels braking surface seems weak, the single bolt seatpost was worthless-replaced with Raceface

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike. I am 6'4" 215 pounds. The frame cracked in two places like many of the other XL frames. It was replaced and rebuilt by my LBS in less than two weeks. Great service Trek and Bike Rack!

This bike is very fast. I can keep up with guys on road bikes for a few miles if I really try. There is just no wasted motion with pedal bob if you pedal smoothly. Even if you mash it up hills, you just don't feel much bob at all.

I am still trying to figure out what stem I need to get fit correctly to the bike. I am a little tall for the current set up and find that my arms and hands get numb after about 1.5 hours of riding. I don't have the problem when I lower the seat down a little but then I don't get the same leg extension.

I loved the fork when I first got the bike (Manitou SX-R). I did change the spring out to the stiffest one they make. I am starting to think it is a little too soft for my weight but it is still OK. It soaks up big bumps really well but is a little squirly on fast, bumpy downhill. I used the Fox tuning manual to set up the fork but maybe it still just needs some tuning. It is quite adjustable. If I had $500 to blow, I would put a Fox fork on it. I will live with this one for a few more years anyway.

The only real problem I had with the bike was the front chainrings. I thought that they just did not shift well at all. I had the bike tuned up a couple of times at the LBS and it would shift fine on the stand but just stunk when I was on the bike. I put on the 180mm XTR crankset with an XTR front derailleur and now it shifts flawlessly. I find that I actually use all three front gears now. I can heartily recommend this combination.

I have two wheelsets now. The Rolf Satellites are plenty strong. I ran flat on, straight into a tree once and did not knock the wheel out of true at all. I could not believe it. I had a few pretty spectacular wrecks last season and did no damage at all to the wheels. Anyway, I left the Bontrager Jones AC's on those wheels and use them for paved trail and crushed limestone riding. Those tires are awesome for hardpack and trail riding. I do not understand why they get bashed so badly by everyone on this site. They do pack up in mud, but so do most tires. They are fantastically fast. My other wheelset is Hugi 240's with Sun Rhynolite rims. These are my offroad wheelset with Panaracer FireXC Pro's. They are a little heavier but are very stiff. The tires are much better for general offroad riding. Don't get me wrong, the Jones AC's are fine on hardpack and damp surface dirt. They just aren't much good when it is wet, sandy or muddy. The Fire XC Pros are much better for those conditions. They suck on paved trails and make an incredible amount of noise. Run the air pressure pretty high and you still get excellent traction.

I guess this is a pretty long bottom line.

In the end, I can tell you that for me - 6'4" 215 pounds, this bike rocks. It is not made for beating hard on. Get a Liquid Fuel, a Jekyll or something heavier duty for that. This is a race bike. It climbs very well and is really fast. It corners well but not as well as smaller bikes. My friends can pull away from me in the winding sections of track but I can always catch up on the uphills and flat sections. I think when I finish fitting myself properly to the bike, it will corner better also. I don't think you can go wrong with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson Park, Platte River State Park

Purchased At:   The Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   Old rigid frame

Bike Setup:   Stock except XTR cranks and front derailleur, Hugi 240 hubs and Sun Rhyno lite rims, Raceface XY seatpost

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2002

Strengths:    Good parts, Good value. Manitu black shocks!!!

Weaknesses:    Cheap stickers on front shocks

Bottom Line:
    When I was looking for I new bike I couldn'y decide which one to choose. But after reading some reviews for the Fuel 90. I decided to try it out. Best bike I tried out. Bought it a week later.This is what i think of the bike: Excellent off road bike. Very light frame. Best I've ever owned. Could be a bit pricey for the average biker. It could have better shimano parts though. And this bike isn't geared for young kids. I recommend this bike for the beging mountain bike enthusiast. But if you look at the big picture, this bike beats a lot of bikes in part qualtiy and price. In short, you can't go wrong with this execellent bike!

Purchased At:   some shop in bethal

Bike Setup:   Full suspension

Submitted by Wouter Verburg a Cross Country Rider from Den Dolder

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light Weight, swift handling, full suspension with a hardtail feel.

Weaknesses:    Frame design issues

Bottom Line:
    Bought a Fuel 90 disc and modified it completely to suit my liking, changed the disc brakes, other fork and changed some minor components.

Just love the bike, goes like the wind uphill and downhill. Had some problems with chainsuck and changed the 'granny ring' to an aluminium version - no problems since. Had a strange squeaky noise from the saddle down and found after 9 months of riding that the bottom tube had broken just above the rocker link mount. The local bike shop called Trek and within one week I had my new frame waiting for me (Fuel 98 2002 including OCLV rear fork) under warranty. Rebuild the bike and did a complete yearly overhaul. Have been riding it for one month now and the squeaky noise is back. Frame detorioration is showing in exactly the same spot. If the TREK Fuel product manager reads these reviews: guys, I think you need to do some work on this frame design. I am not over 200 pounds (only 80 kgs), don't do drop offs or hard riding, I am a XC guy, haven't done any Houffalize trips yet with the new frame and still it is already breaking under my ....

On a technical level much can be improved on the frame engineering design. Take Giant NRS for example: they knew the frame construction was not strong enough welding thin walled aluminium and exposing it to frequency loading. They added a bracket to the seat post to at least make sure all the forces of the suspension system are balanced out.

Tomorrow I am going to check with the Local Bike Shop and ask them to set up a meeting with the technical guys from Trek. See what comes out of that. But, still the bike goes like a dream and is fun to ride.

Explanation with ratings: Trek has got an excellent concept with the Fuel XC FS, just too bad the one downside is in the frame design. If they haven't changed it within one year from today, they will be rated again because their marketing and feedback from the 'voice of the customer' is lousy.

Favorite Trail:   Houffalize

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX 950

Bike Setup:   XT disks, SID sl, full XT, Fox float RC

Submitted by Karl a Cross Country Rider from Petaluma, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2002

Strengths:    Nice stable ride, fairly light with the right components.

Weaknesses:    Frame, rear disk mount.

Bottom Line:
    I purchased the 90 Disk model. Over the 10 months I've owned this bike, I got rid of most of the Bontrager anchors. It was 29 lb when I got it (size large), 26.5 after the upgrades. My first problem was a creaking noise in the seat post area. After several tries myself, and a few trips to the bike shop, it went away on it's own. After that I suffered through the rear brake noise problem, which was only solved by the hokey brace Trek made to solve the problem. Strangely enough, all the bikes the shop I go to that were converted to disk never had this trouble. None of them used Hayes, so it must be a combo of the Hayes brake and Trek disk mount. I even upgraded to the carbon rear end. I finally just put V-brakes in back.

The rear suspension seems to only work well on medium to large hits. The preloaded pivot bushings have a substantial amount of friction. However, their design is light and easy to maintain.

The final straw with this bike occured when I got to borrow a Scalpel for a 3 hr ride. I liked it so much better than the Fuel, that I ordered one. In the week I was waiting for my new bike, the Fuel frame cracked just in front of the top-to-seat tube weld. My first broken frame in 12 years of mt biking. I had the seat post inserted at least 2" beyond the min line, and don't do jumps or big drops. When I get the warrantee replacement, the bike will be sold.

While I liked the bike overall, I've never had so many problems with a bike before. The Y11 I rode for 5 years before getting the Fuel was trouble free.