Trek 2000 STP 300 Full Suspension Bike

4.63/5 (16 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by kate a Cross Country Rider from eureaka

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Strengths:    the components are good xt and xtr the sid shocks are nice because they are light the bike is overall very light being carbon fibre.

Weaknesses:    the frame cracks and dies within three months i was getting trek to ship me a new one. so far im on my third frame. and if this one cracks then i will have to get a different frame because they discontinued the stp the carbon fibre has flaws thats why they dicontinued it.

Bottom Line:
don't buy it used because you will no longer have the trek warentee and will not be able to replace the frame when it breaks. all the components are good but haveing a flawed frame makes it useless.

Bike Setup:   mostly just newer versions of the same thing like the frame?!?!?!

Submitted by ophir a Weekend Warrior from tel-aviv, israel

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    Fast, excellent in transforming leg power to forward motion, good climber, balanced geometry thus nimble in singles and sufficiently stable on doubles, low maintainence.

Weaknesses:    A bit flexy, low BB means you are going to nock the pedals on rocks, ICON crank a joke (and a bad one), tight tire clearence.

Bottom Line:
bought mine over the net as a previous year leftover at a great price (1400$ for STP 200 before upgrades, no taxes). good shop: attentive on the phone service, bike packed tightly exactly as agreed.

topography here (Israel) similar to So-Cal.

this is not a true double suspension bike but a very quick and comfortable HT: a race bike that can also do other stuff, but it shines when one just wants to go fast. it is faster than a HT in almost every situation, and often u can stay seated and mash the pedals in terrain that would force you to ease up on a HT.

on long rides, the little travel (1.25 inch) does make a big difference. SID shock very tunable with positive and negative air-chambers ( much better than crude coils found on some soft-tails).

geometry balanced: nimble in tight turns, rider very easily centered, but stable enough for open and fast doubles. adaptation to bike immediate and intuitive.

carbon frame holding up nicely, just need to wrap susceptible spots with nice and thick duct tape.

do yourself a favour and not use the original crank (probaly changed by now anyway), the teeth of the big ring will be bent and lost faster than imaginable.

botton line: a great race or fast play bike. buy one instaed of a HT.

Purchased At:   ultimate bicycle, charlotte, NC

Similar Products Used:   seven titanium soft-tail (a one off), KHS cro-mo soft-tail, HT (C-dales and others) and double suspension (Palamino, SC Super-Light, others)

Bike Setup:   SID XC, XTR/517, SD7 brakes (great!), XT brake+shifters combo, xt/lx (e-type) derailers, WTB seat, 747 pedals

Submitted by Nick Adams a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, Md Usa

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Strengths:    Awesome handling, climbs like a beast, best frame ive ridden in awhile. Climbs like a mov, light as all hell, and is super sweet.

Weaknesses:    XTR front der. seems a bit sketchy being carbon where it attaches!!

Bottom Line:
THis bike is hot. Its off the wall, bombs down the downhills, handles 3-4 foot drops into streams, climbs like a bat outta hell, and tracks a perfect line on the singletrack. Plus my back stopped hurting from riding my zr9000 klein. Gives you great climbing without the pricy trek fuel 100. Plus its carbon, who can argue.

Favorite Trail:   Avalon

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Klein, full xtr.
Specialized full xt.
Trek Fuel 90 full xt
Trek Fuel 100 full xtr
Dirt research, 853 reynolds, full xtr
Trek 9800

Bike Setup:   Trek STP 300, full xtr, mavic crossmax wheelset, rock shox sid sl, king headset, thompson stem and seatpost, easton carbon handlebar-sl, time carbon pedals, sdg kevlar ti rail saddle.

Submitted by Edward Gottschalk a Cross Country Rider from Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Strengths:    Stock Wheels, Weight...

Weaknesses:    I crash alot on it? Cranks...

Bottom Line:
When I first got the bike I was coming off a Giant ATX 980 full suspension that weighs like 30+lbs. I have tried in the last two years to increase my ride lengths to like 30 mile rides. One complete lap at Island lake on my Giant would kill me. The first day I got the STP I rode two complete laps 32 miles. The leaf spring helps absorb the stuff the rigid guys get beat up on. Riding has become funner because the bike has helped me climb and basically made me able to put on heavy miles because of the weight loss.

Negatives... I have noticed that the wheelbase is considerably longer then bikes in it's price range? Which you would think would make the bike more stable. (wrong) I have been crashing alot on the bike since I got it. I can't really say what it is yet? Me or the Bike? I would say it is me. ALthough I put 500+ trail miles in last summer and never crashed. I was only like 3 min slower last year on the same 1/2 hour long trails. The front tire keeps washing out on me. I don't know if I am wheighting it too hard or too fast or turning the bars without setting up the bike first? I have crashed practically every other ride. I ride island lake alot and do both loops in one hour flat. That is a pretty good clip. I assume the falls are my own doing and I know will be riding this bike still in 3yrs.

Oh yeah last week I was going down a paved road no handed at 25mph+ catching my breath and I got the tank slappers on my stp. (scared the s@#% out of me) I wouldn't advise anyone trying to repeat that test...

Favorite Trail:   Brighton Rec, Poto, Mayburry

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   First nice bike I have ever owned

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to XTR cranks 180mm, XTR frnt Derlr, Body Geometry seat...

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Ruston, La.

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Light and fast! Handles well.

Weaknesses:    Crash damage could be a problem. But it has held up to major abuse for a year, so...

Bottom Line:
The bike belongs to a friend, I have had a chance to try it several times and really like it. It handles well and feels very fast. His "PR"s in our off-road TTs have improved sence he got this bike. If you have the cash and want a great XC racer that will be easy on the ole rear deck, then look here.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   Ruston Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   Most everything.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Eyal Inbar a Cross Country Rider from TA, Israel

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2001

Strengths:    Rear shock tunability - From FS to HT takes a Shock-pump and 5 minutes.
Stable Geometry.

Weaknesses:    Icon Crank.
Frame is a bit flexy.
Front shock contributes to flex.
Avid brakes + Shimano levers do not stop very well.

Bottom Line:
The best thing about this bike is the ease and effectiveness in which you can play with the rear-shock. If you are a HT fan like me, alter the 60/30 recommend positive/negative pressure (for 180 lbs rider) to 70/25 and you'll get NO bobbing. The shock still works beautifully for anything bigger then gravel. For me the STP is the most comfortable HT I know. Also, traction is like no HT i have ever ridden. In my case the seatpost does the small stuff filtering.
I have a friend who is more into FS. He set his STP with a lot of negative pressure, and for him the STP is lightest FS available...

Other than that the bike is very nice. A bit flexy (frame AND Sid) - coming off a Cdale, but the comfort makes up for it. It is relatively fast and safe - due to low and backwards sitting position, and it corners like it's on rails.

Purchased At:   Art Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   TI softtails with simple (primitive?) rear-shocks.

Bike Setup:   Immediately changed original setup to:
Seat: Serfas Lola.
Seatpost: Moots laidback.
wheelset: XTR/Mavic/DT.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Strengths:    It's VERY light given some of the components... strong frame... it climbs like you wouldn't believe... etc.

Weaknesses:    I read the reviews before i bought the bike and i couldn't understand how the icon crank could be so bad... well, it is. Also, the rear bearing that others have mentioned that was a manufacturing problem had to be replaced. I asked the bikeshop PRIOR to purchasing it if they had replaced them and the sales dude said they had.... well, they hadn't. However, when it did bust, they fixed it w/o any complaints... still, they should have done it in the first place!

Bottom Line:
This bike is EXACTLY what i've been looking for. I've always been a hardtail man because of the weight and great climbing abilities... i was considering moving over to FS but with reservations. i was considering a Sugar or Fuel b/c most bike shops i talked to said that the soft tails were more for back east riding and that they weren't too effective out here. b/c of that, i got a killer deal here b/c the STP's don't really sell. i got mine at almost half-off and they threw in some extra goodies as well! I have been so pleased w/my purchase. I've ridden it at Moab and southern Utah and it has treated me great! i can't get over how well it climbs. i did however, have to make a few adjustments in my riding b/c of the light weight... i can't hardly keep it underneath me! I think it's plusses far outweigh the few problems i had as described above.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa or Slickrock

Similar Products Used:   In trying to decide between soft tail and FS, I rode a Trek Fuel. I can't quite explain, but this bike just felt much much smoother. ~perhaps the difference in fram materials?~

Bike Setup:   Stock except Selle gel saddle and Time pedals. My VERY next upgrade will be an XT crank.

Submitted by Burbs a Cross Country Rider from Rye

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Strengths:    light, fast, forgiving, excellent climber and not a bad looker either

Weaknesses:    as mentioned by others, some of the house brand components are weak

Bottom Line:
when looking for a new ride i was torn between the sugar style fs bikes and a softail. i am not disapointed in my choice. with the stp you get hardtail handling and climbing ability combined with comfort - part of my motivation to buy a new bike was lower back pain which has all but disappeared (keep in mind i was coming off a 8 year old c'dale delta v hardtail, can you say rigid?). the stp is light, fast and made for speed. i never thought a bike would improve my riding so much (you know..its not the bike its the rider) but it has. see your trek dealer today....or buy used like i did.

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   all stock except rolf propel wheel set

Submitted by David Acker a Racer from Lexington, Kentucky

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight; Stable geometry; dampens the rough stuff, but jumps when you ask it to. Climbing is outstanding.

Weaknesses:    Faulty freehub body in Rolf Uraco wheel. Warranty covered this completely. Trek sent me a brand new wheel with a good 'ol Shimano freehub body, and I haven't had any problems since. Apparently, all of the Rolf mtb. wheels now come with the Shimano freehub body, but beware if you are purchasing a used STP 200, 300, or 400. Make sure you can still get warranty!

Because of occasional chain suck, I eventually paln to upgrade the Trek Icon cranks to Race Face or XTR.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding and racing for over 10 years, and I have always been very stubborn about steel. I had no interest in switching to carbon fiber for fear that it wasn't durable or strong enough. When my team got a deal with Trek through a local bike shop, I decided to give carbon fiber a try at the urging of my teammates. I'm now a true believer in OCLV! I can't imagine a better frame material for a mountain bike. It's ridiculously light (the entire full suspension bike weighs just 24 lbs., and that's a large frame size equipped with middle of the line cranks, BB, stem, bars, seatpost, and pedals. If I was a weight freak, I could spend some cash and probably shave another pound. The ride is very forgiving and comfortable, without sacrificing an ounce of responsiveness compared to other frame materials. In fact, I believe that this bike feels more responsive than other steel and aluminum bikes I have ridden or tested. It's expensive, but worth every red penny, whether you are a racer or a weekend warrior looking to go a little faster and feel a little better at the end of the ride. The expensive sticker price was the only factor that kept me from giving the bike top rating for value, and the mediocre shifting performance of the Icon cranks prevented a top overall rating.

Favorite Trail:   Land Between The Lakes in Western Kentucky

Purchased At:   Demo Bike

Similar Products Used:   Deore XT - equipped Fuji Hardtail. (Hardly similar, eh?)

Bike Setup:   XT / XTR shifting; upgraded to Rolf Propel Wheels; Trek house brand cranks, stem, seatpost and bars.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from WI

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Strengths:    Very light and fast, climbs like an animal

Weaknesses:    Everything on this bike works flawless except for the cheap Bontrager RE-1 pedals.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line, everything on this bike works flawless except for the cheap Bontrager Pedals. I have broken three, count them, one, two, three, THREE pedals in a little over a month that I have had the bike! If you by a bike that comes stock with the Bontrager RE-1 pedals have them swap them out for Shimano!

Favorite Trail:   Like them all

Bike Setup:   Stock 2000 STP 300

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Winston-Salem, NC

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Strengths:    Light, great handling and climbing.

Weaknesses:    I had the bearing problem as well. Don't expect too much from the rear shock. Definitely not a true full suspension but that's not a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I've ridden it ~40-45 miles a week for about 3 months through various east coast terrain with little problems other than replacing cables frequently and it's performed exceptionally. This bike can do anything XC you want it to and then some.

I would recommend this bike for somebody who wants to ride or race seriously. This bike setup was so good this year I don't think they changed a thing on their 2001 model.

Have fun! M

Favorite Trail:   Sauratown Horse Trails

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6500, 7000

Bike Setup:   Factory specs except XT cranks.

Submitted by Pat Smallwood a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    EVERYTHING!!! THIS BIKE really is incredible...pedal over things that normally tossed me around on my C-Dale...

Weaknesses:    OK, this is a dumb complaint, but it is so light, that it was hard to keep under me for the first 50 miles!!!

Bottom Line:
INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!! IT is expensive, but it climbs better that my CAAD 4 C-Dale hardtail. I was skeptical b/c I wanted an xc racer, and love to climb, but this rig is amazing. Carbon frame is fast and absorbs shock. no more bouncing over hard rocks. Wait til you can buy one and do it! I loved C dales b/c they climb well and I could lock out the fork. But the STP300 (with upgrades) is just over 22 lbs. Its extremely fast!

Favorite Trail:   50 Year Trail

Purchased At:   RandR Bikes

Similar Products Used:   none. only ridden C-Dale w/ Headshok

Bike Setup:   upgraded everything. Propel wheels, XTR Cranks, Ti Cassete, Seat, Thompson Post, pedals, full XTR Drive train. Answer MARS CL.

Submitted by Dean A a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Strengths:    This bike is simply flawless, it really is. Light, nimble and responsive, the rear suspension works just enough that The bike tracks perfectly, yet retains all the pluses of a hard-tail. It climbs like a goat and descends like an eagle, gracefully.

Weaknesses:    The rear bearing broke on me out in the middle of nowhere. I was not happy needless to say. It was fixed for free (replaced with stronger ones), but it bothers me that Trek new about the problem, yet decided to sell its bikes and just see if the bearings break or not. I guess I am not the only one. Was not impresses with the shifting so I changed the crankset to an Shimano XT, perfect now.
So if you buy this bike, ask that they replace the rear bearings before you take it out foe a spin.

Bottom Line:
This bike will make a good rider a much better rider. You will find yourself riding much longer and faster than before, yet a 4 hour ride will seem like an hour ride. This bike climbs extremely well, I ride a lot in the mountains, and it is simply amazing. The rear shock works perfectly in that you really don't think you have a shock, but the way the bike glides over rough terrain, you know you have one. Ride it and you will know what I mean. Considering what you get the bike is actually a good deal, it is a lot of money, but a good deal.
I considered several other bikes, the closest contestant was the Gary Fisher Sugar (which everyone raves about), but the bike just felt too soft once you really took it out on the trails ( played around with different settings, but to no avail). I also thought the STP just handled better. I read the review in Mountain Bike Magazine (I believe it was in there) and I honestly thought the reviewer gave the bike a bad rap. The bike is an extremely good bike and one of the best out there, in my humble opinion, period.

In any event, obviously it all comes down to the rider, a good rider will do good on any bike, but this bike is a true joy and gem, and it will make you not only a much better rider, but a very happy one too, that I can promise you.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dean

PS: Feel free to e-mail me with any question.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch