Trek 1999 Y SL 200 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Trek Y SL 200, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Bob from Carlsbad

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2002

Strengths:    Light,Rear triangle makes for easy maitnance

Weaknesses:    Hard to dial in at first

Bottom Line:
This bike is great I, bought it originally in 1997 and it has been through many miles. No problems, just a smooth ride. I hear a lot of whining about the rear triangle not being "active". What I like most about it is the simple maintnance. I've several others riders with bikes having so many pivots, they can't find the squeek and it drives them nuts. If the "Y" squeeks, take about ALL THREE BOLTS, lubricate and get back on the road.

This bike is great

Purchased At:   Cycleworld

Bike Setup:   XT

Submitted by Taylor from Golden, co

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Everything.

Bottom Line:
Three words: Unified Rear Triangle. I think Mongoose bought this design and you can now get replacement parts at Kmart. Trash this junk and go ride a better bike. Unified rear's are for losers to don't know anything about mtn bikes... period. Got all caught up in the market bullsh*t. Go do your research and finish your highschool education. morons. this is junk!

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   All

Submitted by ricochet95 a Cross Country Rider from Bangor, me

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    i'm a 235lb rider and no frame breaks yet very responsive.light whole bike is 24.6 and very fast

Weaknesses:    rear swing arm......400 to replace they did add a rear derailuer drop out. not disc compatiable or a chance for more travel...........being outdated.............

Bottom Line:
great bike if you thrash, wanna take 4ft drops jump stuff ride down huge drops can handle what alot of newer bikes are made for......alot of people can't belive i haven,t broken it yet always get stares when riding even when in shamble condition............if you wanna do 6ft plus drops then this bike not for you........but if ya wanna have a mini north shore adventure slighty scaled down then saddle up biiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaat@@@hhhh cause this is da shiz nit.. i give this bike a thumbs up in da value dept i bought mine slightly used and have rode this thing through hell and back..and it keeps on a comin.........getting new bike only cause the rear arm situation plus disc will end up being half of a newer full suspen with disc's grrrrrrrrrrrr.......will keepp it as a 2nd ride for when i'm cruise with the misses and use my kona with the boys

Favorite Trail:   eye for an eye,lost diamond trail,malachi's trail,hayden's trail

Purchased At:   rose's bike shop

Bike Setup:   y33 oclv xt/lx componets primo pedals mythos xc irc tires yeti grips nuke proof stem psylo xc forks, club roost riser bars,wilderness saddle,ritchey headset

Submitted by REN a Cross Country Rider from Belmont, CA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Strengths:    Light Weight, Very Cool desgin, Price

Weaknesses:    Dated Suspension - but still rocks

Bottom Line:
I owned a 96 Y22, and this was the closest catagory I could find. My Y way stolen in 98, and I replaced it in 99 with a Santa Cruz Superlight XT/XTR. I was originally going in to buy a Trak Carbon HT, but walked out with the Y.

I have to say that I still remember my Y22 and the ride. This bike was about the same weight as the Superlight. Adding the Air cartridge to the Judy ballanced the suspension with the Rear (Which did not have any adjustments). As with any full suspention bike, set up will make or break performance.

The URT has a more predictable rebound, I never endo's with the Y and can still remember the controlled rebound when you use the front brake. Most "modern" active full suspention designs, which work under breaking (including the Superlight), will launch you if you hit the front brakes with the rear shock compressed, unless with break first with the rear (to decompress) - but will you always remember???

I rode the Y22 in almost every park in NorCal - Annendale, Mt Tam, Diablo, Skyline and a few trips to Moab. I did White Rim in a day, and the usual rides.

With over 2000 miles on the bike I never had a problems - just keeping it out of theives hands. Although I love my superlight, I am now looking for a Y frame to build as a second FS rig.

Favorite Trail:   Ho Chi Min

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Catamont, Santa Cruz

Bike Setup:   XT, Judy with Air Cartridge

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, nimble, nice component package

Weaknesses:    "springy" suspension, average lateral stifness, price

Bottom Line:
When I first purchased my YSL 200 I was happy, very happy. The bike was as fun to ride as it was to look at. After a few weeks I had to trade in that hard to adjust SID shock for a more reliable Stratos XC Pro. Having done that I was able to set -up the rear suspension to suit my aggressive style. Climbing with this bike was a hand full previous to the nes shock. The frame is great for off road riding and racing. I have done a few races and cna see that in my class a top 5 finish or even getting on the podium is possible. I am about to trade in that SID fork for a Marzocchi ASAP. No offense to Rock Shox, but there product is hard to dial in and maintenance is non exsistent if you don't have the tools or time. Overall I'm happy with the outcome of owning this bike, but if I could just get that Foes I rode, LOL!

Similar Products Used:   Foes, FXC, Specialized FSC

Submitted by Stuart Scott a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, KY

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2000

Strengths:    Looks, Weight, COnstruction

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This is my second Y frame. The only reason I got rid of the first was because it was too small for me. I have got to give these frames credit, i weigh about 235lbs and I am 6'2". The Large frame has given me the best ride I have had lately. This bike has been abused by previous riders, it has scratches, also what looks to be carbon stretches, however hasn't let me down yet. I have taken this frame off Steps numbering in the 6's and 8's, and not even a flex. The bike was going to be a racer for me this season but I decided to go hardtail. It is Lighter then most full suspension bikes, Sexier, and not as common. These bikes are dying out because they are getting harder and harder to find.

The bottom line: This bike is still a great fighter, and a very comfortable ride to 1st place. You will not be unhappy if you choose a Y frame. I even have LX parts on it and it still does it's job!

Favorite Trail:   Wherever I am

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y22, Trek 8000, Trek 9.9 Pro, Trek STP.

Bike Setup:   Pimped out, Time World Champ Pedals, Rolf Propel rims, Icon Sterling Crank, All graphite components, LX/XT drivetrain.

Submitted by Hans Whipple a Cross Country Rider from Hooksett,NH

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2000

Strengths:    Nice components, Fairly light full suspender, Lock out rear shock

Weaknesses:    Frame tends to sing (hollow & noisy), rear suspension bob on hills when not locked out

Bottom Line:
My first full suspension mountain bike. I've ridden for two full years now and has been a very durable cycle. I was spoiled though when riding a Fisher Sugar in Moab for a week. I really like how the passive rear suspension worked on the up hills while pedaling. I'm used to locking out and going rigid and seem to lose a little traction compared to the Sugar. I've been sold on the newer technology full suspension rides and am looking to purchase the new Fuel. What I've been told from the local guys that went out to WI for test rides this bike is nice! The Y has been a nice ride for me (well balanced,quick) and don't want to discourage anyone from owning it. I just think it is a little outdated now with the newer class of bike coming out.

Favorite Trail:   River Loop

Purchased At:   S&W Sports

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar(Nice)

Bike Setup:   Noleen Cross Link Suspension up front, riser bars, grip shift

Submitted by Tom Doyle a Cross Country Rider from Hayward, California, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    Carbon frame, Rolf Dolomite weelset (sweet!), decent climber, bombs pretty good on decents (for an XC bike), well balanced.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox SID dual air (front & rear) air shocks. I've had the bike 6 months, and already I cannot get the shocks to hold any air pressure for more than 24 hours. The bike is currently in the shop. It still remains to be seen weather the Rock Shox warranty folks do right by me or not.

Bottom Line:
I really do love the bike. It is my first full suspension purchase, and I try to split ride time between it and my hardtail (99' Gary Fisher Paragon). This problem with the Rock Shox is really making me ill, however. Outside of the fact that the suspension cannot hold a steady air pressure for more than a couple of days, I really have had trouble fine tuning it ever since I have owned the bike. Just when I thought I had it dialed, I had to put it in the shop. Of all of the other bikes listed above that I tested, this one seemed to have the most stable ride. I especially love out of the saddle climbs. The lateral stiffness of the carbon frame translates into more power to the pedals. I know this bike wouldn't win many races if I did race it, but for XC riding 3-4 times a week you can really beat it up and feel good about the money you spent! I picked mine up at an end of year sale for $1,999.00. For that I will give it 4 chilis in the value category. 3 chilis overall due to the Rock Shox disappointment.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Chabot Loop

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3 & 2 (tested)
Klein Mantra (tested)
Gary Fisher Joshua F1 (tested)
Gary Fisher Level Betty (tested)

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for a pair of Icon bar ends.

Submitted by Brian Winkler a Cross Country Rider from Tinley Park, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Strengths:    Frame, Wheels

Weaknesses:    Clear coat

Bottom Line:
I have riden this bike with my girlfriend on the local paved trails and with my buddys on some great xcountry stuff. The bike has been perfect (after I got it setup right). The price was real good for the products you rec. I could no be happier.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, GT, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   stock w/LP seatpost,bars,bar ends

Submitted by erik from oregon

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2000

Strengths:    single pivot low maintenance design....fully active very plush

Weaknesses:    inefficient single pivot, low-tech design..... too plush basically a lazyboy barcolounger with wheels... loooking for a comfy bike that will never see dirt this is it.....

Bottom Line:
with this frame design there will be no podium finishes, but then not all are racers....... this bike will give you comfort without the upkeep of a four-bar design..... just not the performance...

Submitted by Brian Brown a Cross Country Rider from Washington, Pa

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2000

Strengths:    Carbon Fiber is really light compared to Aluminum. Good all around bike

Weaknesses:    Flexy

Bottom Line:
I bought an original Y-50 with the cool paint job. I had lots of trouble with the shock and learned the rear end was welded crooked, putting torque on the shock. No problem after two whole months I had the newer design frame. It would have been much faster had they been able to get a rear triangle that was not welded improperly like my original. After the third one the LBS said they got one. Now when I ride I have noticed just how bad the frame flexes at the bottom bracket. If you own one of these I highly recomend getting the frame checked for straightness. The bike shop figure with the same problem in a couple of the triangles it may have originated in the jig at Trek. I still enjoy it but not like I used to, but it is a great all around bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Edge

Similar Products Used:   Test ridden several set ups

Bike Setup:   Custom Y-50 frame

Submitted by Paul Maupin a Racer from Chattanooga TN

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1999

Strengths:
Supper smooth ride, Light, and Strong

Weaknesses:
None Yet

Bottom Line:
This bike is absolutely awesome. Trek has put a great assortment of components on the bike. The only weekness if any is the Rock Shox fork, simple exchange though, put a Marzocchi on it. The YSL 200 is the perfect bike for some people. If you don't like the bike quit dogging it, no one is forcing you to ride it. But for me it is the Sweetest bike.

Prentice Cooper, Chillhouwee

Trek VRX 500

Marzocchi Z2 Bam, Mavic 517, Fox RC & Strata Shock

Submitted by Baloneyroll a Cross-Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1999

Strengths:
light, stiff, soaks up bumps

Weaknesses:
mild biopacing

Bottom Line:
Jubbi's a dumba$$. Try owning the bike and riding it under all conditions for several years, dip$hit. Design has flaws, bu tthey all do. Works great as an all-around bike. Biopacing is minimal if you know what you're doing. Look at the avg rating - do you really think there'd be so many good reviews if the bike was that bad? Give the bike a serious demo and if you don't like it, don't buy it. 5 piles.

any-n-all

more than 3 years

Too many to list

Y-22

Submitted by Jubbi a Cross-Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
Not much

Weaknesses:
Design, components

Bottom Line:
The floating drive train on this bike amounts to making it a high price seat post suspension system. The bottom bracket and pedals attach to the swing arm, and the distance between your feet and butt change as you ride. I can get a good susp seat post for $150, why bother with this horrible design? I think the only advantages might be when you climb out of the saddle to go up very steep hills. But you shouldn't have to do that much if you are a good rider and know how to slide on the seat to keep pressure on the rear.Don't be conned folks. One chili for looks (Maybe two for cheapness, but I can't raise the rating any, it's overblown already.)

all tech trails

tested or demo'ed only

Many full susp (k2, trek, specialized, schwinn, klein, cannondale, santa cruz--they're all mostly crap, except K2/Proflex--get the original, it's still the best)

Submitted by Mike a Cross-Country Rider from Pembroke Pines FL

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1999

Strengths:
lightweight, components,wheels and of course looks

Weaknesses:
nothing yet

Bottom Line:
This bike is great. I just did a 12 hour endurance race on it and it performed flawlessly. The freehub blew up in the Rolf wheel due to a manufacturing flaw but I had a new one at no charge in about 4 days. Getting it out the door at 2200 did not hurt either. I highly recommend this bike. Oh by the way...got third at the endurance race. Was it the bike? Who knows

Any not in Florida

less than 1 month

just about every type of full suspension bike out there

right now staight stock set up sid xc Rolf wheels Icon and XTR stuff