Titus 2001 Racer X Ti Full Suspension Bike

Submitted by Steve Belt a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Strengths:    Climbs like a goat. Very stiff. Perfectly sized. Beautiful welds.

Weaknesses:    Stickers are coming off, as a result of the high rate of speed the locals rocks keep hitting them...like that matters.

Bottom Line:
This is a Ti version, with the X-link. It was custom designed for me, my physical size, and my front fork. I worked with Chris (the owner of Titus), to design the bike perfectly, and I couldn't be happier. A lot of kudos need to go to Rage as well, for the great job they did building up my bike, and the post-sales support they've given me since.

The bike is just a dream to ride, on dang near anything I have the guts to ride. It's climbing ability is outstanding. It's XC prowess is superb. The bike loves to go fast, and it do so with ease. The only trail in Phoenix the bike isn't perfectly suited to is National, but that isn't a trail I ride frequently. For basically every other trail in Phoenix, the Racer-X is sweet, and that includes Trail 100, McDowell, Hawes, Pima/Dynamite, Desert Classic. You name it, I've ridden it, and ridden it fast and clean.

If you've got the $$$, and you like to ride XC, you are going to be hard pressed to buy a better bike than a Ti Racer-X from Titus.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 8/1A/220

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Marathon S 100mm; Race Face Next LP crank with ISIS bottom bracket; XTR rapid rise, cassette, brakes, hubs, and levers; XT front der; Mavic 517 wheels; 959 pedals; MonkeyLite bar; Thomson seatpost; and FSA stem. You know, typical build.

Submitted by kevin a Cross Country Rider from cazenovia

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, durability, consistent fast ride!, Excellent handling.

Bottom Line:
This is my second review (see kevin above) on the same bike, but now after one year of serious riding I need to complement Titus. The Racer X has been flawless, and when I needed support Titus was very available and helpful.

I have found Titus doesn't have too many dealers - but you should know that Titus will take orders through your local bike shop.

If you are looking for a light weight fast (but very comfortable) xc bike, the racer X is outstanding.

Bike Setup:   sid sl fork, xtr rear der, bontrager ss revolt semislick is fast, bontrager valiant rims, xtr brakes & shifters

Submitted by DTC a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Strengths:    Quality of construction, smooth, even welds, light weight, lack of bobbing, strong acceleration, excellent fit, smooth shifting, nimble but stable handling, tremendous lateral stiffness, headturning appearance.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2002 Hammerhead 100 Titanium (Titus Racer-X Ti modified for 100mm fork). Simply put, this bike rocks. It rides like a hardtail, with minimum to no bob, until you hit something. When you do, you don't really feel the rear shock compress like alot of other FS bikes -- the impact just seems very muted, like you just ran over a pebble. The bike is quite light, nimble, and is a very strong climber with really good traction over rough terrain. It also exhibits little to no bob during out of the saddle efforts if your spin is halfway decent.

One of the best things about this bike is that the fit and geometry should be perfect for you -- because you get it made to your size and geometry specs. I had the frame adapted to take a 100 mm fork, have more standover, have a longer wheelbase, and have a slightly more relaxed geometry (70.5 degree headangle) than the typical Racer-X or Hammerhead 100. Titus does this at no additional charge for the titanium triangle, which also comes with a lifetime warranty. Titanium never corrodes and is much more impact resistant than aluminum and the welds on the titanium frame are much smoother than on an aluminum frame. All in all, the titanium option is well worth the extra cost.

Deciding on the specs of a custom rig takes a bit of time and can be somewhat daunting. However, the folks at Titus and Charles Coker at Hammerhead are very friendly and extremely helpful in guiding you through the process. Charles is a real standup guy to deal with and puts out the extra effort to make sure you are completely satisfied. He also offers some outstanding deals on the buildup, with the components being priced considerably better than some of the big mail order places.

While the bike is definitely on the pricier side of life, you get every penny's worth in this elite class bike. In summary, if you can afford this baby and buy it, you'll have no regrets.

Purchased At:   Hammerhead Bikes -- Charles Coker

Similar Products Used:   A lot of the well known brands -- GT, Trek, Giant,Cannondale, Litespeed, etc.

Bike Setup:   Titanium hardware option, Fox Forx Float 100 RLC, CK headset and hubs, Dave's Speed Dream Wheels, XTR brakes and shifters, XT Hollowtech cranks, XT derailleurs, Selle Evolution saddle, Raceface XY post and stem, Answer Hyperlite bar, Hutchinson Alligator Gold tires, Maxxis Ultralite tubes.

Submitted by kevin a Weekend Warrior from Cazenovia, NY USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent handling.
Durability is unsurpassed.
Lightweight.
Agile, quick, & powerful = XC dream bike.
Custom Ti frame = comfort and speed.

Weaknesses:    Rear der. hits horst link.
Rear triangle is rectangular aluminum and can catch mud.

Bottom Line:
Titus is great to work with. Although it took 9 weeks to get the bike and it was shipped with the wrong fork, Chris is a gentleman and in the end handled the delivery problems well. If you're not comfortable working direct with Titus over the phone, I suggest working through your local bike shop.
Three weeks after I got the bike I rode it in the 400 mile TransAlp Challenge. In this ultra-brutal marathon the Titus was flawless. 0 mechanical problems - Zero. The pro race mechanics that did some minor tuning had never seen a Titus - they were in awe and were very clear when they said "This is one of the nicest bikes on the race", and there were 700 other bikes!
The ti and the perfect welds give you all the confidence to push to new limits.
The Racer X is perfect for someone looking for a XC winner, but it is also great even if it's your one and only all around bike. Lastly, if your spending a few (or four) thousand on a bike why not get a custom ti frame?
Nice work Titus!

Purchased At:   Titus

Bike Setup:   xtr/xt; chris king headset; sid sl; titus ti stem (beautiful); slr saddle; bontrager valients

Submitted by Rich Brown a Racer from Eagle, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    Start with a custom, hand built, Titus frame that is truly a piece of art. The welds are absolutely incredible! I challenge any frame builder to create frames with better quality. Built up with quality parts the bike then rides as beautifully as it looks. The handling is great in anything from hard pack mellow descents to tough, technical race course downhills. Climbing on the Racer X is just as great, very well ballanced ans smooth.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness the Titus Racer X will have is bad component selection by the owner. I truly believe this frame has no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that I wish I had purchased my Titus Racer X sooner. If you are in the market for a full suspension cross country ride/race bike and you don't consider this bike your are MISSING an opportunity to ride/race a DREAM BIKE! I can not stress enough how great the craftsmanship of the welds on the frame are. Look at bikes on the market and you will not find a comparable bike, period. If I could rate this bike a 10 Flamin' Chilis I would.

Favorite Trail:   Fisher Creek, Stanley, Id

Purchased At:   Titus Cycles

Similar Products Used:   None-This is a custom full suspension frame from Titus. I chose it because no other builder builds a comparable custom frame.

Bike Setup:   TITUS RACER X-Custom made Ti frame,XTR-Cranks,BB,Front DR, 9 SPD Ti Cassette, SRAM-9.0 Shifters,Rear DR 9.0, AVID-Ti V-brakes and Levers, THOMPSON-Post,Stem, O2 Air 40 Seat, Chris King-HS, FOX-Vanilla RC w/Lockout,MARZOCCHI-Z2 Atom Race, MAVIC-Crossmax Wheel set, TOTAL WEIGHT-24.5 lbs

Submitted by Rusty Batza a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, CO

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2001

Strengths:    Handles beautifully, climbs incredibly, not to mention that the frame is an absolute work of art.

Weaknesses:    Convincing the wife that I needed to spend $3500 on a mtn bike; rear derailleur hits Horst link (I’ve screwed the tension screw all the way in and it didn’t help; I zip-tied a piece of inner tube there to stop the banging, will glue a rubber pad when I get around to it.

Bottom Line:
This bike instantly makes you a better rider! The frame was custom built for me (I am 6’5”) and fits me perfectly. The frame was delivered in 5 weeks (Titus told me 4-6) and Speedgoat had it assembled and shipped the day after they got it. I was a little concerned about the handling being too quick for me but Chris at Titus convinced me not to change the head angle (71.5); I’m glad I listened to him as I love the crisp handling. The first time I rode it I swore I would take it easy until I was used to it; I felt like I was just cruising but was right on the tail of a friend that I am often hard-pressed to keep up with. Not to mention that I climbed sections that I had never been able to before. There was almost no learning curve; within five minutes I felt totally at home on the bike. I kept stopping and saying to my friends, “I never knew a mountain bike could be like this!”. You must have this bike. Do whatever it takes to come up with the money—sell your house, sell your children, sell a kidney. It is the best investment I have ever made.

Special note: I heartily recommend Speedgoat. I got expert advice, prompt response to any question or request, overall much better service than I have ever received from a local shop.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat Bicycles