Titus 2001 Loco-Moto Full Suspension Bike

4.64/5 (33 Reviews)

Submitted by NoSanBa a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    Efficient, plush, relatively light.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This is a "first impression" review, I've only ridded the bike twice on Desert Classic - so I'll update after I'm able to ride on a more rigorous trail.

I was a bit nervous about buying a single pivot frame, but the LM has put me at ease. VERY efficient climber, especially in the 4" travel mode. Fox Float L shock is very plush.

The frame itself is a piece of art. The anodized finish is beautiful.

For my first ride I had a '99 Manitou SX-R 80mm fork installed, it rode OK. After I installed the Duke SL 100, the bike felt much more balanced.

More feedback after I get more rides in.

Oh, thanks to Bob at SMC for the great build.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes

Purchased At:   South Mountain Cycles

Similar Products Used:   SC Superlight

Bike Setup:   2002 LocoMoto (new front triangle design, black medium), RS Duke SL 100mm, mostly XT components, XTR brakes, SRAM shifters, MonkeyLite bar, Mavic/XT wheelset, 959 pedals.

Submitted by Rich Salami a Weekend Warrior from South Florida

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2002

Strengths:    Beautiful looking bike. Top notch craftsmanship. Lightweight and strong.

Weaknesses:    The frame recall. The finish is so nice looking it hurts when it gets scratched.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike never having seen a Titus in person. The reviews here were great about the bike and the people at Titus were extremely helpful. I spoke to Alan at Titus before I purchased the bike. I asked him a bunch of questions and he asked me a lot himself. After asking about riding style,height,etc. he told me exactly what to buy. Size frame,stem,style of fork(even how many spacers under the stem),etc. I ordered my bike and had it 10 days later. I almost passed out as I pulled it out of the box! A work of art. I took this bike to PA,CT, and FL. This bike rode and performed exactly like Alan said it would. I continued to ride the frame even after the recall. I didn't back off at all and it never failed me once. Finally in June 02 a new frame which I used as an oppurtunity to purchase a SB. Bottom line: this is a great frame. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a First Rate single pivot frame from a Top-Notch company. Lots of versitility in bike setup. Feel free to contact if you would like more info.

Favorite Trail:   Markam Park(FL),Westwoods(CT)

Purchased At:   123.Bikes

Similar Products Used:   01 Schwinn Rocket 88,02 Titus Switchblade

Bike Setup:   01 Loco-Moto(M),XT cranks,shifters,XTR M953 GS,Thompson stem and post,Easton CT2 riser bars,King headset,Hope Mini's and Sport hubs,Mavic 317's,02 R.S. Psylo SL Disc,IRC Mythos XC

Submitted by J Mann a Cross Country Rider from Upstate

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2002

Strengths:    At this point NONE! BEWARE! You may be VERY frustrated by this company and this frame.

Weaknesses:    I sent the frame back for recall in December . . . It's May 18th and they still have not returned the frame.

Bottom Line:
This has to be the WORST customer service I have ever seen. I purchased this bike to replace two lesser bikes. The company recalled the frame and that's the last I've ever seen of my bike. I've got a $1200 frame that is worthless to me at this point. Titus says - don't worry it's on the way. 6 months later and it's still on the way! They did send me a T-shirt so I guess I should relax ... of course it was the wrong size so what can you say about that.
A bike that you cannot ride is worthless. This customer service is deplorable and I caution anyone who wants to buy a Titus. HUGE Dissapointment.

Favorite Trail:   none since December

Purchased At:   online - frame only

Similar Products Used:   K2s, Jamis, and others

Bike Setup:   Right now it's in a box at the Titus factory where it has been for nearly 6 months!

Submitted by Neil a Cross Country Rider from Berkshire's in Ma

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight and strong
Plenty of standover
Geometry perfect for singletrack

Weaknesses:    No place for water bottle or battery back for night light.

Bottom Line:

2002 Loco-Moto

I loved my old Pro-Flex 756, but this new Titus does everything and more. Handling is right on for tight singletrack, even with a 100mm fork. With 4" of travel up front and rear it goes down and over or up and over almost everything. There's no noticeable bobbing while seated and even when standing it does not seem to rob you of power, and you can lock out the Fox Shock on smooth climbs. I'm 5'8" and was told to go with a small frame. Trail tested a medium and it fit perfect with a 110 stem. Go see Dave at Mean Wheels in Lenox. It's a great little shop with lots of bikes, knowledge, and good tales.

Purchased At:   Mean Wheels, Lenox

Similar Products Used:   Owned Pro-Flex 756, tried lots of 2002 FS's

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Duke SL, Shimano XT & Sram 9.0 drive train, Easton CT2 seatpost & Flat bar, Spinergy Xyclones, and IRC MythosXC's

Submitted by Jeff Cutler a Cross Country Rider from Hingham, MA USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Strengths:    Customer service, versatility, performance, light weight, looks, uniqueness.

Weaknesses:    None, now.

Bottom Line:
Have raced and ridden the Loco for nearly a year and wanted to add a glowing commentary on the service and attention that I received from Titus and SpeedGoat Bicycles.
In the recent review from Nori, you read about a top and downtube issue on the early 2001 Locos. I got worried.
Nori and I ride the same trails, do some of the same races and have a similar riding style. His bike was 2 months older than mine but was the exact same model, size and color.
Since I was worried about the same issues befalling my Loco, I called SpeedGoat and Titus and they both jumped to help me. I'll soon be the recipient of a new-design Loco at minimal cost and at a great relief to me.
Love the staff at both SpeedGoat and Titus - they truly understand the customer/retailer relationship.
If you want a great CC racing machine, get a Titus Loco Moto or the RacerX. Both come in at 24lbs or less and let you hammer the crap out of them without fear.
If you need the BEST PLACE to purchase your Titus, go to SpeedGoat. Free shipping and real humans who know and ride bikes.
Peace out.

Favorite Trail:   Wompy, Nam, Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   SpeedGoat Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Truth, Intense, Superlight, Bullit

Bike Setup:   2x9 SRAM drivetrain, RF stem, Thomson SP, Tru-Vativ cranks, Avid mechanicals, Marz. Z3 Air fork, Fox Float shock.

Submitted by Nori a Weekend Warrior from Medford, MA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    Plush ride, light, relatively stiff, sweet looking ride

Weaknesses:    It broke

Bottom Line:
First of all, let me say that I love the bike. Its perfect for the bony, rooty, rocky New England terrain. I bought the bike so I could try a 24h solo w/o crushing my back. And the bike was awesome for it. The FS was confidence inspiring as I started to try more drops and jumps...nothing huge.

And then the downtube broke followed immediately by the top tube. I was riding some singletrack in Saratoga (thanks Joe, Jason and Mike for showing me around) and I tumbled. This was just after cleaning a steep rock. Luckily, I didn't try it again or I would've cased hard.

This is most likely a defect w/ the '01 downtubes. Some of the '01's and all of the '02's have a gusseted downtube (as will mine when it comes back from Titus). I'm 165-170lbs...not really a finesse rider but no 6ft drops either. Hopefully the gussets will do the trick.

The customer service has been great so far and I always believe in supporting the smaller but higher quality innovators/framebuilders. But my trust has been a bit shaken and it will take some rides before I totally fall in love again w/ my sweet ride.

3-chili's until I ride the new frame for awhile. Stay tuned.

TAKE HOME LESSON:

I heard some faint creaking a few rides back but attributed it to some loose bolts - stem, bar, fork, something...but never checked it out. It was probably a crack in the frame. ALWAYS CHECK!!!

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam, MA.....Mr Toads, Tahoe, too

Purchased At:   MeanWheels Lenox, MA and Paramount Somerville MA

Similar Products Used:   First FS owned. Tried Aeon Isis, Intense Tracer

Bike Setup:   Fox RC (lockout is key), X-Fly 100, Avid Mech, SRAM on Rhyno Lites, XT/GripShift, King headset, Thompson seatpost

Submitted by manuel a Cross Country Rider from dallas

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2001

Strengths:    great bike i really like it but!!!!

Weaknesses:
my frame after 27 rides craked where the top tubes joing.It has been almost a month without my bike. because mailing the craked frame from one(123bikes) place to another(titus)and then to me can take up to 13 days and the worst part is that when you finally have your frame again the quality paint is terrible(they were some spots without paint)and you realize that your options are or live with it or sent it back to them.My decision was if i pay 3000 for a bike i should have perfect at list for a litte while so i sent it back to titus (3days) titus changed the part the same day and shipped next day (+3day)to me. after all this ###~~~`
I'm going to have my frame in 3 days ready to ride.

firts to 123bikes when

that the paint finish was not 100%top quality like the top dollars that i paid for my bike

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   123bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive

Bike Setup:   XTR brakes,9.0sl sram shifters and rear derailleurs,XT front,thomson seatpost and stem,2001 psylo Sl,chris king hubs with mavics 517,fox r rear suspension, chris king head set,C2 carbon strait bar,race face bottom bracket, race face the next LP crankset,SDG grand prix seat,time carbon pedals, panarecer xc pro tires etc...

Submitted by poser from California

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    simple single pivot, no "bob" out of the saddle, good price, adjustable travel, nice geometry/ dimensions.

Weaknesses:    as mentioned already the rear tire clearance is somewhat of a problem. 2.25 geax won't fit but 2.35 ritchey's do!?

lack of useable h20 mounts (one located under downtube)

Bottom Line:
This is one of the most balanced bikes I have ever ridden/owned. It climbs better than my old ti hardtail, descends like no other, inspires confidence in technical, go-big scenarios.

Weight - 29 lbs Two lbs. more than previous hartail - I don't notice the extra weight- not racing anymore so why worry?

Fun factor is greatly increased. Head high drops are easy. Long distance rides are easier due to less fatigue.

The main pivot is huge and the massive amount of metal around the pivot point looks real strong. The strength of this area concerned me after witnessing several santacruz bikes break where the swingarm clamps onto the pivot. Anyhow.... As previously noted by other reviewers.....This bike kicks b.u.t.t.

Similar Products Used:   heckler (demo), cromo/ti hardtails

Bike Setup:   medium, z-1 mcr, vannila RC, lx/xt/xtr, king, rhyno lites.........

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from The Woodlands, TX , USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    Handling is very precise but certainly not nervous. Climbs extremely well, especially when the terrain is anything other than smooth. Descend's equally as well. (Suspension works so well in these situations) Lateral stifness is a non issue. Very beefy design! Attention to detail is impressive.
Adjustibility

Weaknesses:    Anodized finish seems to scratch fairly easy. This is my first experience with an anodized finish so I'm not sure if this is inherent of anodized finishes or not. Oh well, I can live with it because the ano fish is so pretty to look at!
Rear tire clearance...... 2.1's fit fine but 2.3's are a little tight.

Bottom Line:
This bike definatley lives up to it's reputation. After 3 months of exhaustive research and test riding, I finally decided on the Loco. I was initially skeptical because of the issue with suspension bob. I quickly learned that this was nothing but a set up issue and the complaints were from people that didn't have the shock set up correctly. It took me a few rides to find the correct setting's for my weight and riding conditions but once dialed in, this bike is awesome. With all the available adjustability,I think it's about as close as you can come to an all purpose X/C design. Set the travel at 4 in. and go race or set the travel at 4.75 and go bomb a really rough trail.

Without sounding too redundant, this bike certainly lives up to all the hype and it's just so dam# much fun to ride.
I highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, well built full suspension bike.

Also, I bought my bike from Charles Coker. Great guy to work with! Really knows Titus' and won't sell you something you don't need. In addition, he has great prices.

Favorite Trail:   Rockyhill, Warda

Purchased At:   Hammerhead Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz SL, Cannondale Jekyll 2000, Specialized Enduro Pro, Aeon Isis

Bike Setup:   Avid Mechanical's, X-Fly 100, Chris King headset, Monkey lite low rise, XTR cranks and der's, Thompson seat post,Serfas dual density pro seat

Submitted by Kirk a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA(soon California)

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    Loco-Moto is a great "big boy" bike. Before I bought it, I worried about rear suspension flex(I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs), but have noticed only minimal feedback. I knew it would descend well, but it climbs rooty/rocky stuff better than my old hardtail. It tracks well on tight singletrack, and is very forgiving on rough stuff. It inspires confidence and so far it has held up well(STRONG!) I took it off of a 3' drop onto pavement and it ate it up on the shortest travel setting(4"). Amazing for someone my size.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I asked the guys at Dirty Harry's(Pittsburgh) for great Full suspension bike for a big boy, and they delivered. This bike is a confidence builder. I've only had the chance to ride it on local Pittsburgh trails, but the difference is very noticeable. I take lines I would have never attacked before, go over obstacles with ease, and make technical climbs that used to test me(on my hardtail). Yes, the price is steep. My hope is this bike will last me for 8-10 years. I'm headed to California soon, and can't wait to see what I can do on the left coast trails. Bottom Line: Great big boy bike.

Purchased At:   Dirty Harry's

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F900, Trek 930, Specialized Rock Hopper(back in the day).

Bike Setup:   Large Frame, Hayes Hydraulics(wow!), Fox Float RC, Rock Shox Psylo, Chris King Headset.

Submitted by lito from sta monica ca

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
this is just a follow up from my previous review
my bike just turned 1000 miles
i have had 2 gnarly crashes but never had anything serious on my bike(strange it always happens, but everythings on me)
the frame still tracks excellent, never felt any flex on the rear triangle and with the different shock positions you can set it up with your kind of riding, i have never enjoyed climbing as much, its so fun to ride and going downhill is even more fun
i've bent my rear hanger due to a freak accident and called titus up, they sent me the hanger and got it 3 days later!!
service is excellent, enough said
when youre in a market for a frame(trail riding) i would definitely recommend the locomoto, its just a do everything frame, cant go wrong, of course its a TITUS

Favorite Trail:   anywhere dirty

Bike Setup:   marzocchi xfly 80mm, hayes hydro, king discotechs, full xtr
thomson post/stem selle italia ti

Submitted by greg a Cross Country Rider from huntsville,al

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Strengths:    single pivot fully active, adjustablity, weight, finish

Weaknesses:    bottle placement, difficult cable routing

Bottom Line:
love this bike, replaces lts1000 that i thought hung the moon, this thing rails, tracks where pointed, climbs well, descend like nothing else. relativly light 27# built to last and be dependable not built with the slightest thought at being light. frame size seem odd called titus made a perfect recommendation. i ride things now that i was very cautious over before. love it by far the best frame for the money. the best combination of travel weight.

Favorite Trail:   pine torch loop

Purchased At:   huntsville bicycle (256) 534-5921

Similar Products Used:   ellsworth truth, gt lts1000

Bike Setup:   psylo sl, syncros bar stem post, xt drivetrain, avid ti single digit brakes, wtb rims, tires,

Submitted by Tred a Cross Country Rider from Malden, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2001

Strengths:    A do all workhorse. -Fantastic frame. -The welds are beefy. -The ride is great, there's a tremendous range of 'feels' to this bike depending on where you set the shock. You can have a plush ride or firm it up if you're looking for more speed. This bike rocks.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of. There are things this bike isn't designed for, but you have trade-offs with any all around trail bikes. ...It's not a XC racer (but close), it's not a megatravel DHer (but it can be very plush).

Bottom Line:
If your looking for something that does a little of everything and want an all day ride -this is it. I find this bike climbs well, and decends really well. It's active without any noticeable bob and has a range of feels depending on how its set.

Granted I've only had this bike for a month, but I've used it a lot. I wanted to hold off on the review, but it's been so fun I had to share.

Purchased At:   hammerheadbikes

Similar Products Used:   GT iDrives

Bike Setup:   Stratos XC Pro shock, '01 Marz XFly100, XTR drivetrain, King headset, Syncros lo-rise bar w/ Odi Lock ons, WTB Stealth-V seat, Thomson post & stem, Hayes disc brakes, King disc hubs laced to Velocity VXCs, Avid Flak Jackets, and some Lizard Skins.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Weaknesses:    Cracked frame!

Bottom Line:
Here's a follow-up to my earlier review. Last week I cracked the frame where the top tube joins the head tube - all that was holding htings together was the top strengthening plate on the top tube. This happened during normal x-coountry riding and light free-riding (no big drops pr air). I love the frame, it's now on it's way back to AZ for a warranty replacement but I will be stuck on my old h/tail for the biggest race of the season coming up next weekend. Titus say this is the first frame failure they have ever seen, i must admit I'm a little worried about it happening again seen as it wasn't used THAT hard. I'm gonna have to drop to 3 flaming welds because of catastrophic failure.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Submitted by Shawn Davis a Cross Country Rider from Lewiston, ID USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Strengths:    You can build this bike heavy or light and still get a great ride.It was everything Titus said it was and more.

Weaknesses:    Water bottle location.Fox air shock noise

Bottom Line:
When I first looked into purchasing this bike I thought it would be just another FS bike. My climbing skills have improved so much that I now have to wait for my friends instead of them waiting for me. This bike climbs like a Hells Canyon Goat and descends like a Semi on a hill without bikes. I have raced this bike 5 times and improve my times from last year. There is no bob in the rear, unless you stand up, then there is little but not felt. I was alittle worried when I purchased this from Steve Morgan (Conway Bikes,AK), because I was unable to test ride. The bike was everything Steve said and more. I stand 5'10" and I was between sizes so I went with a small frame. This was the right decision as it tracks very well and I am not crowded in the saddle. If you are looking for a bike like this E-Mail or call Steve at Conway Bikes. If you are looking for a FS bike,but your weight or bike weight is a concern do worry, I weighted 240 ILS when I purchased this bike.Thinking more look back on the 2000 reviews.

Favorite Trail:   Waha Mountain