Titus 2000 Loco Moto Full Suspension Bike

4.81/5 (36 Reviews)
MSRP : $2000.00

Our revolutionary low pivot, fully active inspired design utilizes an ultra-stiff motocross style swingarm and monster cartridge bearing pivots to ensure your new Loco-Moto is as maintenance free as it is stiff. The Loco-Moto has 4.25 - 4.75" of adjustable travel and rate as well as the option of using either an air or coil-over shock. Additional features include a universal disc brake mount standard, and a replaceable derailleur hanger.

Submitted by locominute a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2015

Strengths:    laterally stiff---pedals well enough--beefy rear end. Made in USA?

Weaknesses:    wish seat tube would have been 1 inches shorter-- but this was designed before dropper posts were around.
relatively narrow rear tire space-- 2.35 Maxxis Larsen TT barely fits.

Bottom Line:
Got frame in 2001-- but never liked it for various reasons-- sucky forks/ improper air pressure in rear for my weight.--it just never felt right over bumps. It sat in the garage for the past 5 -7years. I just did not like it. I thought about selling it.
Thanks to the Buzzy Pollenator air pump, and reworked Pike for, the bike got resurrected and more. Climbing is not a problem. Bumps are not a problem. Depending on pressure the rear can bob or not, and the rear is relatively psi sensitive. I can feel the difference between 135 vs 138 vs 145 quite easily. AT 125lb for my weight, it feels cadillac plush, but a little squishy going up steep stuff. I wish the seat tube could be shorter, so I can use taller 110mm 3position tmars post. More than satisfied with 90mm 2 position tmars however. The bearings are still very smooth, but they should since the bike has hardly been ridden. A real fun bike!

Took it to Mammoth last month and had a great time on it.

Favorite Trail:   Demo/waterdog- Anything Moab

Duration Product Used:   on off x 14 years

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   db mission 3 with Lyric solo air/ derby- rims -squishier than Locomoto but still fun--alas, my son has take int over.

Bike Setup:   built up with older 140mm Pike/ tmars seat post/ rear shock is rp23 set at 130psi opened setting (I am 190 kitted up). LB 38mm wide rims front tire 2.35 igniter(20psi --rear 2.35 (25psi)maxxis larsen ttt
sram 9 speed race face turbine crank azonic 3inch rise handlebar. fox rp23 at 130lb zero rebound dampening.set at 4,75 inch position
30lb with pedals

Submitted by Tris a Weekend Warrior from Orange County

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    Handling, stiffness, overall feel

Weaknesses:    Bobs a little, could use a lockout.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! It's the best combo of cross country and freride. It handles like it's on rails, climbs well and feels great. A great all-mountain bike (and light too!)

Favorite Trail:   Too many

Purchased At:   mtbr

Similar Products Used:   Manitou fs, DBR V-10

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z-4 flylight, King Hubs and HeadsetMavic 517 Wheels, Sram 9.0sl shifters and rear derailer, XTR brakes, Easton Carbon bar, seatpoast, stem.

Submitted by tony a Cross Country Rider from san diego, ca

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    Light. Clean lines. Simple design. Versatile. Inexpensive. Titus service.

Weaknesses:    Poor climber. Fragile? Not the stiffest.

Bottom Line:
I like the bike for it's versatility, but this bike really hits the middle of the road between freeride plush and racebike quickness. I wouldn't say it'd be a great freeride bike or a great racebike, but depending on parts, you could use it for either in a pinch. I've built it up as a "trailbike" which suits me well; it's good for all day epics. I've had bikes that have climbed or descended better, but this one does both reasonably well. I got mine used (so who knows what kind of abuse it saw before I put my licks in), but the top tube developed a crack 3/4 of the way around; pretty scary. Titus was good enough to sell me a new '02 front triangle for cost, which I thought was extremely nice; hopefully this one lasts a bit longer. Overall, I give it a thumbs up and would buy another. It's a great value and serves up about 80% of the performance of a fully active ride. If you're a hucker or leg-shaving racer, get a dedicated ride. For those out there who are looking for a great trail bike, look no further.

Similar Products Used:   AMP B4; Trek Y22; Klein Mantra; Ellworth Truth

Bike Setup:   X Fly 100; Float RC; Hayes discs; Hugi 240/317; Tioga DH 2.3f/2.1r

Submitted by Jerry Meyers a Cross Country Rider from Shilo, MB

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, handling, climbing, descending

Weaknesses:    could be lighter like the 2001
bobs a bit, but I only realized it when I watched the rear shock while riding (don't try this at home folks)

Bottom Line:
This is a true do it all bike. I've been on a wide variety of terrain on this bike in the past year and never wished that I was on somthing else. My setup might be a little heavy if you race but it makes an excellent trailbike. It makes it up tight and steep switchbacks as well or better than my Kona but descends better. I also feel that the 2002 psylo SL is perfect on this bike because of the U-Turn feature. You can adjust the height of the front end by 45 mm and change the head angle by 2 degrees. Very usefulwhen the going gets steep in either direction. I would like to try a Swithblade for a plusher rear end but for the price the LM is great.

Favorite Trail:   Ganaraska "E"

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   87 Kuwahara Shasta, 89 Stumpjumper Team, 96 Y22, 99 Kona Explosif (frame only), 97 RM Spice (frame only)

Bike Setup:   Fox Float, 2002 Psylo SL, Avid discs

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2001

Strengths:    Suspension action, anodized frame, cable routing, design simplicity, and quick handling

Weaknesses:    Limited space for large tire size in rear, soft derailier hanger

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. It is a fine example of how to get light weight, pivot simplicity, quick and balanced cornering, stiff tracking, confident climbing, and plush descending out of a bike. Overall, I would put this into the trail bike category. You could race it well but it wouldn't be as efficient as the Racer-X.

The Loco Moto is perfect for the hard-core cross country type looking to add bigger drops, bigger air, faster downhilling, and increased big ride comfort. I have my suspension on the 4.75" setting and will only reduce it if I have extended steep uphills on the road.

My complaints are trivial to what this bike offers. It would be nice to have the option of fitting a 2.3 in the back but overall, the 2.1 suits it well. I run the Tioga 2.1 DH because it's almost as big as you can get in the rear and the tread pattern works well in the conditions I ride. I also thought the fit kit grossly under estimated my body size resulting in a much shorter stem and lower suggested seat height setting than what really works the best for me. I'm 5'10" and weigh 155 lbs, ride the small frame (perfect fit), and would not go shorter than a 120mm stem for climbing reasons. This could be a matter of riding style. Also, the derailier hanger is softer than other hangers I've had in the past. I typically bend it right back while it's still on the bike. I guess it's doing its job by protecting my sweet blue anodized frame.

My trail rides consist mostly of tight single-track, loose rock and sand, hard-pack, fixed rock obstacles, 40% climbing/40% descending/20% flat. With dirt roads or paved roads in between, they can last up to 7 hours. It's the perfect enduro bike for rough country.

Buy one from your local shop or from Titus. I've heard the mail order bikes often need extra attention to bolt tensions and other details.

Long live long rides at high altitude!

Favorite Trail:   Horsetooth Mountain Park trails

Purchased At:   The Cycologist

Similar Products Used:   Sugar, Rocky Mountain bikes, Specialized FSR, Giant XTC, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   120mm 5 deg. stem, Tioga 2.1 DH tires, Azonic 27"x2" riser bars, Marzocci Z3

Submitted by Clint B a Weekend Warrior from Tyrone, GA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Craftmanship, customer support, handling

Weaknesses:    My only complaint is the der hanger. I've gone through three so far. Better the hanger than the swingarm.

Bottom Line:
When I first built this bike I ws more into cross country. Now my taste has expanded to free-ride. The bike first weighed in around 25 lbs. It was great for racing. Then after disc brakes, heavy tires it is around 28. I really can't appreciate the difference. There is virtually no bob in the suspension. The only suspension related sensation I get is from the new Marzocci Z5 100mm fork when I peddle out of the saddle. The frame is strong and simple. It descends well whether in the 4 or 4.75 mode. It tracks straight without chatter when braking hard. With a short stem (55mm) it handles quick enough for dual slolom. The biggest drop thus far is four feet, no problem. I can't seem to find a fault with this bike, nor can I find anything it can't do. Although I don't have a world of experience with an assortment of bikes this Titus Loco Moto seem to be most capable. I depend highly on Mtb Review for real life information. After 18 months of trials, I can highly recommend this bike without reservation.

Favorite Trail:   Laurel Mtn, NC

Purchased At:   Wheatridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT/XTR, Bontrager stem/seat, Marzocci Z2X fly, Mavic, SRAM, Icon bars.

Submitted by Sunshine a Cross Country Rider from Gay Bay, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    The more you ask from it, the more it gives you. Strong! Handles everything!

Weaknesses:    Some say the weight, I say perfomance outweighs it. Ha!

Bottom Line:
Great Bike! Couldn't ask for more, I never drool over other peoples bikes anymore cuz this one does it all so well.

Purchased At:   Over the Edge Sports

Bike Setup:   Z-2 XFly, Raceface stem/crankset/BB, Chris King Threadless, Thompson Elite, Mavic Crossmax UST wheels

Submitted by R. Cordova a Weekend Warrior from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    This is a great bike, even for a 225lb rock crusher like myself. It has a beautiful amount of travel.

Weaknesses:    I have not found any.

Bottom Line:
Most everybody has good things to say about this bike, so I won't repeat. However, I went to the shop in Tempe where they build this bike. It is a small fiendly place, and they were very friendly and open to all my stupid questions. I got a nice demo of their process, it sounds like they are doing things the right way. For me it is great to know who built my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Shnebly Hill

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   http://www.kalomtb.com/

Similar Products Used:   I demoed a few specialized bikes, and a san adreas.

Bike Setup:   XTR rear, XT everywhere else

Submitted by Matt from Heber,UT

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    Weight,rigidity,Allen at Titus, and Not everyone is riding one.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This is actually for the 2001 but the link didn't work for the it. I love this bike. I only thought that it was a nice bike after the first two short rides. Then I rode Porcupine Rim. Man what a difference it made in my riding. I climbed better than on my hardtail because the rear suspension could absorb some of the steps that you have to go up. I was able to decend much faster and more cofortable. I was able to clean stuff that I did'nt think that I would ever be able to do. This bike builds confidence and it great. I am 100% satisfied with it. Alan at Titus helped me get the fit dead on and he was great. Darryl at Pattersoncraft.com was great to work with. Don't buy a titus until you talk to him (pattersoncraft@aol.com)

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   PattersonCraft.com

Similar Products Used:   Foes weasel

Bike Setup:   WB AT-3, Louise disks,thompson seatpost & stem, frogs, wtb laserdisk xc wheels

Submitted by Mike P. a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight
Adjustable geometry
Color (blue)
Ride/ feel
It's a Titus (nuff' said!!)

Weaknesses:    Yea right!

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. I have my medium built up to 26 pounds and that's with some LX and Deore components. It rides like a Racer-X with more travel. The bike soaks up big hits like nothing I've ridden before. A trailbike should not be this plush and this fast!!! On my first ride I got caught out on a tight, rocky technical trail at night with no lights, I couldn't see a thing!! The Loco-Moto just soaked up everything that I couldn't see. It literally saved my butt several times. If I had been on my old Sugar I'd have been toast for sure. It carves tight technical corners as if it's on rails. It has an Extremely stiff rear end.
Plus Titus is by far the BEST company on the planet. The frames are made in-house in Arizona and the customer service is a 15 on a 1-10 scale.
Thanks to Charles at Hammerheadbikes.com for spending a lot of time making sure I have the right frame size and components for my style/type of riding. He definately goes that extra mile. If you're in the market for a quality bike give him a ring, you won't be disappointed.
Oh yea, GO GEAT A LOCO-MOTO!!! It's definately THE ultimate do-all trail bike.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Hammerheadbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   FSR, Sugar (not really similar), Marin Rift Zone, Racer-x, Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Nothing fancy, just set up for the ride!

Submitted by Puzman a Cross Country Rider from Wallingford, CT

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    light weight
stiff
plenty of standover
geometry dialed for singletrack
plush, adjustable suspension
ano finish looks bada$$

Weaknesses:    cheesy decals
limited mud clearance

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a do-it-all trailbike to replace my 3 year old Mantra. While I liked the seated plushness and climbing ability of the Mantra, I wasn't psyched about the suspension quirks. I seriously considered a Fisher Sugar, but for the trails around here (endless rock gardens, roots, mud, tight switchbacks, etc), I felt like I needed more travel and perhaps quicker geometry.

The Loco seems to fit the bill perfectly. Its handling is very quick, even with a 100mm fork (more so than the Mantra w/ the same fork), but feels more stable at speed or down steep dropoffs than the Mantra did. Suspension action is much less noticeable than the Mantra- saddle height and wheelbase don't change and there is no brake-jack. There's no noticeable bobbing while seated, and seated climbing is amazing- great rear wheel traction (I'm sure that the Alligators help!). I feel that it climbs technical stuff as well as the Mantra, and that's saying alot. When you stand and sprint, bobbing is more noticeable. The rear end is very stiff, and the bike tracks through turns really well. As built, the bike weighs 26 lbs, and I figure will be ~25 lbs with Pythons and lightweight tubes. By the way, I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam, and I'm riding the Medium with a 100mm stem. Fits great.

In sum, I think this could be close to the ultimate New England woods bike. If you want something to race on, take a serious look at the Sugar. If you want a something with plenty of travel that is light, low maintenance, and quick handling, take a serious look at the Loco. Give Charles Coker at Hammerhead bikes a call- he's a great guy to work with and will give you a great deal.

Favorite Trail:   still looking for it

Purchased At:   hammerhead bikes

Klein Mantra, Sugar

Bike Setup:   Z3 100 Air, XT/SRAM9.0SL drivetrain, avid v's, xtr/valiant wheelset, king, thompson, monkeylights

Submitted by spunky a Cross Country Rider from oregon

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    simple, smooth, effective, and adjustable rear suspension. light. unique looks. stiff. tracks straight and effortlessly. great value.

Weaknesses:    swing arm is very close to seat tube.

Bottom Line:
titus has really done a great job with this frame. i bought a 2001 model and they have dropped about 1/4 pound from the 2000 frames by using a double-butted tubeset, anodizing and an extruded rear triangle. the rear triangle is also anodized, which looks pretty sweet. as others have posted, the rear suspension is simple and incredibly smooth. the single pivots rides on cartridge bearings making for a quiet and amazingly smooth ride. i wanted to buy the rear shock with lock-out, but the titus guys advised strongly against it for a few reasons - the fox rc has more stiction, it weights more (about 2 oz) and their design doesn't require it. after riding the bike, i strongly agree. the frame came with the rear shock set at 4.5" of travel and after experimenting i think it's the optimum position. now i see why - the rear end design doesn't really require a lock-out, especially when the travel is set at 4.5".

overall, the impression that i get everytime i ride this bike is how smooth it is and how well it works. no noise, effortless suspension - in fact you don't realize how well the rear travel functions until you see how far the shock has compressed. i also like the way the design keeps the chain length even. i rode a santa cruz superlite for a while and the higher shock position increases the length of the chain when the suspension is engaged, causing the rear end to pull back. kind of annoying. i also rode a tracer for a while, which to be honest is really a different type of bike. a great ride, but the frame is a lot heavier and is probably more of a true all terrain free-rider.

as far as the bad news, it's really kind of minor. the clearance between the swing arm and the seat tube is pretty close. i went for a muddy ride and gunk would fly into the gap causing some gritty, grinding sounds. a quick wash takes care of it, but i hadn't experienced anything quite like that before. also, as someone pointed out in a previous review, the rear brake brace is pretty close to the tire, if you run a fattie. you can invert the brace and get a bit more clearance, but if you always ride in mudbog style conditions, it might not be the frame for you. titus also state that brakes like the avid arch style brakes should not be used on the frame. important info if you've already forked over the big bucks for some ultimate arches and want to use them on this frame.

titus lists the frame weight at 5 lbs. for a small. my titus weighs in at just under 23 lbs. (i ride a small frame) which makes it a killer climber and easy to maneuver. with the sweet rear end, it does a great job on steep descents as well. i ordered a '01 sid sl which i'll put on this month. for my style of riding and my small size (130 lbs.) the sid 100 is a bit of overkill.

so in case you couldn't tell, i love this frame. a great value compared to the competition (you can buy a comparable superlite for about the same price and a tracer runs $1650 for the frame only).

Favorite Trail:   long, steep and dry

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz superlite, specialized fsr, intense tracer, ionic ion-4, ibis bow-ti

Bike Setup:   fox float r rear shock, sid 100 fork, king headset, thompson stem and post, monkeylite bars, avid mag brakes & levers, bontrager racelite wheelset, hutchinson python air lite tires w/greenlite tubes, xtr ti cassette, sram 9.0sl shifters and rear der, xtr front der, real ultimate ti bb, ionic billy cranks, race face chainrings, speedplay frog ti pedals, sdg saddle, a bunch of ti & aluminum bolts.

Submitted by RK a Cross Country Rider from PENNSYLVANIA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2001

Strengths:    STIFF CHASSIS DECENT WEIGHT ACTIVE SUSPENSION

Weaknesses:    HAVE NOT FOUND ANY.

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE DOES EVERYTHING WELL.HAVING RACED MX I KEEP IT IN LONG TRAVEL MODE.THE SUSPENSION IS ALMOST AS ACTIVE AND NEUTRAL AS A HORST LINK BIKE.THE FRAME IS SUPER STIFF.STEP ON THE PEDALS AND IT JUST SQUIRTS AHEAD.0 LOSS OF ENERGY.HANDLES QUICK AND PRECISE IN THE TIGHT STUFF AND IS STABLE ON THE FAST STUFF.THIS IS A VERY WELL BALANCED CHASSIS.I THINK PART OF THIS HAS TO DO WITH THE SHOCK BEING MOUNTED IN THE CENTER OF THE BIKE.AS FAR AS WEIGHT MINE BUILT UP AT 24 AND A HALF POUNDS.THAT IS WITH SOME LIGHT WEIGHT PARTS.THIS IS A DECENT XC RACING WEIGHT.THE 01 FRAME IS CONSIDERABLY LIGHTER.THE BUILD QUALITY IS EXTREMELY HIGH.ALLEN AND ALL THE PEOPLE ARE INCREDIBLY NICE AND HELPFUL.IF YOUR IN TO XC RIDING AND RACING AND LIKE A 4-5 INCH TRAVEL BIKE WITH GREAT BUILD QUALITY AND HANDLING TRAITS YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG.ESPECIALLY AT THE PRICE.A LOT OF BIKE FOR THE MONEY.

Favorite Trail:   ANY TECHNICAL SINGLE TRACK

Purchased At:   TULIP BIKE

Similar Products Used:   FSR,FSR XC ,VARIOUS SUPER V,AND MANY OTHERS.

Bike Setup:   XTR,EASTON,AMERICAN CLASSIC,STORCK CARBON CRANKS,HOPE XC 4 DISCS,HANEBRINK FORK.

Submitted by Jules a Weekend Warrior from Auckland

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, beautifully constructed, decent amount of travel.

Weaknesses:    It's $2450 in NZ$ which is a lot for frame and shock only. Mind you, that is more the fault of a very weak New Zealand currency. You get what you pay for! The rear seat stay brace above brake posts sits only 5mm away from tread if you have a 2.3inch tire.

Bottom Line:
I bought the new 2001 frame which is about 5pounds weight. Don't know what total weight is - maybe about 28-29. But who the hell cares! This is a fantastic frame, very well designed! It's low maintenance, with only 1 main pivot to worry about and the rear shock is tucked in centre of frame away from the worst mud collecting areas. One thing I would say about the air shock is you need to make sure you have just the right pressure; if it's not quite enough it will bottom out with a large 'clunk' during big hits. I thought it was the frame first time it happened half expecting to find a dent in the frame!
I am only 6 rides new on this bike so will be looking forward to posting again after 6months of careering down some more hills...
Titus makes some very classy frames. Good enough to hang on your wall with a big fat, gold frame around it!

Favorite Trail:   Whakarewarewa Forest, Rotorua

Purchased At:   Speedgoat (frame only)