Titus 1999 Racer X AL Full Suspension Bike

1999 Titus Racer X AL, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy C, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by chris a Racer from front range, co

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Strengths:    Durability, Agility, Liveliness, and a great friend. She can be loud and annoying sometimes telling me to go faster but as soon as I get her in the big ring she starts to smile a little. Great bike in the climbs, She's a little bumpy but she hooks up real nice. Her angles are perfect for me and she has lasted a long long time for a full suspension wife. I did have a crack in the the swingarm box but titus fixed it for me. Thank you titus. The shock w/the butterfly design takes SO much stress that I am truly amazed it has lasted this long. no leaks and still as strong as the day I got her. The bearings on the other hand are being replaced tomorrow. 3000+ miles to wear out the bearings not to bad. 20 bucks.

Weaknesses:    not a plush ride. The newer ones with the x-link are much more plush. I went from an FSR to this and this was definitely not a downhill champion but it doesn't mean that you still can't smoke a pack on it.

Bottom Line:
Couldn't ask for a better race/trail bike. We now have 2 in the family as for mine I'm going to retire it from seasonal duty but I will still mount her occasionally. Great bike definitly worth the price. Thanks titus for the kick ass ride.

Favorite Trail:   don't ask, won't tell.

Purchased At:   wheat ridge cyclery(don't expect a deal from these guys)

Similar Products Used:   I've tried to ride everything I can get my hands on. And this bike w/the geometry is the king.

Bike Setup:   racer-x. Me on top. she's on bottom.(most of the time)

Submitted by Eric Brock a Weekend Warrior from West Chester, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Best bike I have ever ridden! It does EVERYTHING great. Best climbing bike period. Makes riding a pure joy.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Even though I got my Racer X frame for $500, it is worth the retail price and then some. This frame is simply awesome...it will make you feel like a better rider instantly.

Favorite Trail:   Vulture's Knob

Purchased At:   W.Chester Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Giant NRS, Sugar 1

Bike Setup:   XT group, Marzocchi air fork, Fox air shock, Easton carbon fiber bar, Thomson post, Avid Arch Rival 50 brakes, King headset, Mavic 517 rims, Race Face stem, WTB saddle.

Submitted by Mel a Cross Country Rider from Saskatoon, SK. Canada

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    The geometry of this frame is awesome. It does not have a lot of travel in the rear but you don't need that much if you are a racer. It is damn sexy now that I have built it all up.

Bottom Line:
I have my dream bike all spec'd out with the best! It only costed me about $1300 to put it all together. I purchased all my equipment here on mtbr. To buy brand new it would cost about $4000 to put and spec this bike. Sure it took me awhile to get all the parts, but it was worth it. I had questions about the frame and parts to go with it and Titus always returned my emails. If you want a simple, reliable cross country full suspension design this is it. I am very pleased with my new ride!

Purchased At:   mtbr.com

Similar Products Used:   Tried out Rocky Mountain, Cannondale and K2 full suspension bikes.

Bike Setup:   Race Face low riser air alloy riser bars, 120mm stem, team sl headset, xy seatpost, bb, and Lp Crankset (only the best). Sram 9.0sl carbon shifters and rear deraileur (8spd) and Xtr front derailuer. Rear shock is Fox alps 5, it doesn't have a lock out but I only weigh 135 pounds. Front shock is Rock Shox SID xc. Brakes are Magura hydrolics. Rims are Spin carbon with Continental Explorer pro in the front and Escape in the front. Fizik Nisene with Ti rails and shimano 515 pedals.

Submitted by Paul Pinella a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Strengths:    --Solid American craftsman, artful welds, lightweight frame, precision machining, buffed aluminum tubes, fun factor

Weaknesses:    --The rider (someday, I hope to be as good a rider as the bike deserves)

Bottom Line:
I'm new to mountain biking this season, and searched all winter long to find the right bike. (Not bad for a first bike, eh?) I took longer to make up my mind on this purchase than I did when I bought my house. Based on what I read here plus after numerous conversations with Titus (and my Texas dealer, Charles Coker) I went for the Racer X.

I'm glad I did. When I ordered this spring, the "factory" was a little backordered and it took a week or two longer to build than the original estimate (apparently the Titus folks were all at a bicycle trade show). But when it came via UPS and I opened the box, the bike was absolutely flawless. Being new to the sport, I took it out the next day and promptly crashed six times (those clipless pedals do take some getting used to). The Racer X came through my beginning abuse with nary a scratch. It's artwork but built strong like a Russian tank. I'm also happy with the component mix, including the oil-bathed front fork and Avid stoppers.

Would I be just as happy with a cheaper bike? It's hard to say. But now that it's a sunk cost, the price doesn't matter anymore. Plus, I'll be riding this bike for a long, long time.

Oh yah, be sure to order the right frame size. The small frame is a good fit for me, and I'm 5'9", 172lbs. And if you have any questions, get on the phone and call Titus. They're back from the trade show and hard at work building the best mountain bikes in the world. 5 steamin' hotdogs

Favorite Trail:   Other people's yards (kidding, sorta)

Similar Products Used:   Psycle Werks Wild Hare, Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   --Marazochi Atom Bomb 2000 fork, XTR shifters and hubs, Avid mag brakes, Flite gel saddle, XT cranks and bottom bracket, Monkeybar carbon handlebar, Carbon Atac pedals

Submitted by Bart a Racer from Utah

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2000

Strengths:    I just raced on my new 2000 Titus Racer X-Lite AL. It is bar none the best light weight FS bike on the market. It handeled even better then last years Racer x and I barley noticed the shorter travel. It seemed to spring to life when climbing out of the saddel.

Weaknesses:    Uh like Uh well let see uh hell can't think of one weakness

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is if you are a xc racer or live in mountain terrian or like LIGHT real FS or are a hardtail racer who is thinking of checking out FS this is da bike. It is stiff when climbing(you can get this bike w/ a lock out rear shock) like you woud not believe and is a real FS bike when decending unlike some of the pivotless designs that are really hardtails.Get this no BS my bike weighs 23 pounds. And will get a touch lighter and I am 6'3"

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest Trail

Similar Products Used:   Sana Cruz, Intense, Specialized

Bike Setup:   White Bros X-4 UL72,Bontager racelite's,Avid Magneesium w/ Ultimite levers,IRC Notos,XT Cranks,Grip shift half pipe 9 speed,XTR cogs(Front D)Easton Bar, Thompson SP,Flite,Sterling Stem,Titus Ti stubby bar ends King Head set

Submitted by RJ a Cross Country Rider from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Strengths:    Beautiful craftsmanship. Bullet-proof, proven, race winning design. Handles like my porsche and climbs like a goat

Weaknesses:    Rear brake brace clearance is too close to rear wheel- picks up leaves, twigs, etc. Cost?- you definitely get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I have no regrets buying this bike. It is simply awesome. Climbing, negotiating tight twisty singletrack, rock gardens, downhill, whatever, this bike excels and looks great doing it. Very light feeling, very responsive, and at my 150 lbs with the shock set correctly for sag I feel NO BOB- even on road rides. This bike is very firm under acceleration. This was important to me because I just came off of a hardtail. I looked at semi active designs like the loco moto and the superlight, but in the end, fully active won out. It is well worth it.

Plus got great customer service and a smoking deal from Charles at Hammerhead bikes (http://lonestar.texas.net/~ccoker). Where else can you get a great deal on a high end bike and have the owner take you on a test ride? Thanks Charles.

Favorite Trail:   city park

Similar Products Used:   K2 Razorback, Santa Cruz Superlight, Giant NRS, Specialized FSR.

Bike Setup:   Full XT plus options like Sun Ringle Lite wheelset, Marzocchi atom .80 fork (simply unbeatable), easton monkey lite bar.

Submitted by dave a Cross-Country Rider from richmond, va

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Strengths:
light, stiff, fast, fun

Weaknesses:
no disc mount at present: they say they're waiting for a standard mount to evolve.

Bottom Line:
Excellent all day ride, ear to ear grin, durable, no BS, well made. But needs a disc mount.

pisgah nat'l forest

3 months

cannondale, specialized. Did no try the intense tracer - that may or may not be a worthy alternative, and it also has compression adjustment with lockout. (Can't say I miss those features.)

White bros. UL 72, XT

Submitted by clif monteith a Cross-Country Rider from cullowhee,nc

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Strengths:
*stellar workmanship is present in every weld.
*no lateral flex--one stiff ship!
*i have a ti litespeed at 20lbs -- the x kicks its ass up any hill (as long as you stay in the sadle).*this bike is well balanced (especially with a z2 bomer up frt.) it can climb like a monkey, its fast, it can descend well.

Weaknesses:
i had to use student loan money to buy it -- and i can't afford to get a quasimoto too!

Bottom Line:
the best all around trail bike. it can do it all. if you like to ride in the back counry all day and want great performance without too much of a weight penalty this is the bike. don't let the name fool you it is not just a race bike (it is a piece of art -- even if your not into aeshetics, you have to appreciate the craftmanship -- it makes you want to buy the welder and designer a brew -- feel free to contact me and i'll give you the complete low down -- viva la titus!

pisgah forest network

3 months

litespeed obed
yeti arc
intense uzzi sl

xtr gruppo, syncros revolution cranks, spox rims, monkey lite carbon risers, syncros hinged stem, mar. z2 bomber (another stud piece of machinery), ti frog pedals -- about 25.5-26 lbs -

Submitted by Charles Coker a cross-country rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

well, if you read the other reviews on the RacerX they are very accurate.
I went from a Rocky Mountain Element TO to the RacerX
I will keep this short.
this is the stiffest (frame), quickest, most nimble and best handling FS I have ever been on.
if you want a FS bike that handles like the quickest hardtail you have ever been on,
this is the one to get.
I was really skeptical about a non linkage design.
in terms of plushness, it is nearly identical to the Element TO but the frame is a _lot_
stiffer.
in short, it out corners and out climbs the Element TO
it is extremely well built and Titus has stellar customer service.
this frame _exceeded_ my (high) expectationsCharles Coker