Specialized 2000 Stumpjumper FSR XC Comp Full Suspension Bike

4.47/5 (45 Reviews)
MSRP : $1949.99

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou MARS, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Matt from Wilton CT USA!

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Very light, good rear suspension system, all in all a great XC bike.

Weaknesses:    The manitou mars absolutly SUCK, i have had to overhaul it 2 times already, so i just recently bought 2002 rockshox psylo SL, and its great.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike

Favorite Trail:   jackrabbit run

Purchased At:   Cycle Fitness

Similar Products Used:   my friends Shwinn

Submitted by JEFF R a Cross Country Rider from GLENDALE

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    good uphill traction using this type of rear angle. excellent rock shox and fox combo light weight. comfortable feel

Weaknesses:    obviously the spec crank set. stock spec handlebars feel like wings.

Bottom Line:
although i came from a hardtail, but for an avid rider this bike made me feel at home. you can lock out the rear when your climbing on cement or hardpack, or kick it loose for awsome grip on loose rocks and. the frame feels comfortable for me, but the first swap out was that handle bar. the specialized crank set is always a piece, so i thrashed it quickley and replaced it with xt. the head set does not feel as smooth as other bikes i have used, but it holds up just the same. the specialized tires that come stock are freakin dangerous. i replaces those after a few falls with mythos.

this bike has taken hard...and i mean hard hits that i have dished out and has helped up great. if you drain the 15 weight oil out of the rock shox and put in 10 wieght it will feel smoother and plunge easier.

for this price..great, but specialized needs to either improve or drop there accessories

Favorite Trail:   SYCAMORE

Purchased At:   SUPERSLOW

Similar Products Used:   coming up from a hardtail, so not much to compare with.

Bike Setup:   now: ct2 carbon bar, xt crank and bb. rollin on mythos, just screwed on atac carbons.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth ride, when suspension dialled in correctly. Great climber

Weaknesses:    Seat, cranks, hub bearings

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. After owning a hard tail for 4 years this Stumpy was a great improvement. I'm a little narked at all the components I have had to replace, hubs, front derailleur (no fault of the bike), chain (shimano chain sucks) ,BB after 14 months and suspension bushings. These problems aside I have enjoyed the bike no end. The XTR/XT componentry is legendary. Once the suspension is dialled in correctly the bike is a pleasure to ride. I recently rode a 2001 Stumpy pro and in all honesty there was little difference. The secret of the suspension bushings is to keep them well lubed. The reason for replacing the bushings is a fair amount of wet muddy and then dry dusty riding conditions. All in all a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai

Similar Products Used:   2001 Stumpy pro

Bike Setup:   Panaracer fire xc tyres, Sram chain, Magura hubs, cool stop pads

Submitted by rob a Cross Country Rider from ludington michigan

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2001

Strengths:    fast and smooth

Weaknesses:    bottom bracket could be higher, the main swingarm bolt kept coming loose, despite a low strength locktite. The problem was fixed with the heavy duty locktite. After a 30-to-0 endo, the fork wouldn't hold air. 3 weeks for Manitou to get it back. One of the Time pedals sprung a spring and had to be replaced.Of course the bars and seatpost need to be cut way down, and I ditched the stock rubber. Seats OK though.

Bottom Line:
A great bike, with some shakedown problems. I weigh 200#, I think the bike iw weighing 26.5#

Favorite Trail:   Zaleski

Purchased At:   Crystal Adventures

Similar Products Used:   rented a schwinn rocket for 2 days at the Gorge.

Bike Setup:   dart in the front, a Ritchey in the back, stock

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    I did a review recently but made a change to the bike I must let all of you kow about!

Weaknesses:    Rear dropout bushings; bottom bracket height; noisey cranks; bars way too wide, had to cut down; hard seat

Bottom Line:
The 2000 FSR has cheap plastix bushings in the dropouts. I bought the Mountain Speed X Factor and Dropout Bearing kit.

Anyone who owns one of these bikes has to put these two items on their bike. My biggest complaint about the bike was the very loose and sloppy back end. I swear, on hard riding, the back end would pass me up! It was all over the place. Standing on the pedals for hard cranking up hills and such only made it worse.

The MSP stuff stuff did the trick. A really good bike before; now a lot better.

Purchased At:   Cupertino Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardtail

Bike Setup:   changed tires to WTB NanoRaptors 2.4, front and rear; added Mountain Speed X Factor and Dropout Bearing kit. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Other items still stock.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2001

Strengths:    good adjustment on the front and rear shocks, easy to dial in, nice shifters, good brakes, full suspension works well for amount of travel.

Weaknesses:    noisy, need to keep suspension lubed to keep it quiet, noisy cranks too, tires too skinny; 2.1's would have been better, low bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
great bike. For all around riding, it fits the bill perfect. No bobbing on the uphills, able to handle jumps without bottoming out if setup right. The shifting is flawless and feels positive al the time. Full suspension made all the difference after riding a Specialized hardtail for 15 years. I would recommend to anyone. One downfall is the wobble in the rear if you stand on the pedals; back end, with the fully active suspension, gets "loose" after a while.
"Go over, not around!"

Favorite Trail:   anything singletrack!!

Purchased At:   Cupertino Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardtail,

Bike Setup:   stock so far. I will change the rear shock setup for increased travel and switch to the bearing cartridges for the rear suspension soon.

Submitted by Stefano Ereno from Padova, Italy

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Strengths:    Rapporto qualità-prezzo, la bici è leggera e performante in salita. Prima full di un rigidista convinto, mi ha letteralmente sconvolto: basta pedalare e passa sopra a (quasi) tutto!

Weaknesses:    Le boccole del carro posteriore necessitano di manutenzione costante e attenzione alle coppie di serraggio dei fulcri, altrimenti la sospensione tende ad irrigidirsi. Il registro del rebound della Mars 2000 viene letteralmente sparato nelle affondate più violente, perché è inserito a pressione direttamente nel fodero della forcella: ne ho persi tre, poi non l'ho più rimontato (uso una chiave a brugola).

Bottom Line:
La geometria della sospensione con il giunto Horst è uno standard che moltissimi costruttori hanno copiato (a volte male) a Specialized: la sospensione è davvero sempre attiva, anche in frenata con i v-brakes. Sui fondi veloci non fa rimpiangere le front, è senz'altro la bici ideale per le granfondo.

Favorite Trail:   Colli Euganei, Dolomiti, Altopiano di Asiago

Purchased At:   Racing Bike Sport, Padova

Bike Setup:   Body Geometry S-Works saddle, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 rear, Specialized Team Control 2.0 front, Zoom 10 cm 10° stem

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    weight, handling, climbing

Weaknesses:    stock brakes are ok but not the greatest, cranks could be better. stock tires are really hardpack-oriented, and the dirt here is a little too loose for them.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I should say first that I'm a relatively lightweight rider - 145 pounds, so if you weigh 200+ your mileage may vary. I got a closeout deal in February this year on a 2000 model for $1250.
I ride this bike a lot, mostly on moderately steep climbs and descents with generally bumpy, rocky terrain. I was hesitant to convert to a dualie after 12 years riding hardtails but I am really glad I did. I have the bike dialed in relatively stiff so for me it climbs like a hardtail but still takes the edge off fast, bumpy descents. My only complaints are that the brakes are a little short on modulation for extremely steep stuff - they are as good as any cable-brakes I've ever tried but if you were more downhill-oriented I think you'd want hydraulics. Also the cranks are a little flexy, but at my weight it isn't really noticable unless I immediately hop on a buddies bike which has much stiffer cranks. If I have the money I may change them next year but if not it won't be the end of the world. Otherwise, I'll leave this bike alone and just enjoy the ride. The stable handling and tremendous grip I experience with this bike has made me a much better rider this season. It is much more confidence-inspiring and capable than my previous bike (hardtail stumpjumper) over any terrain I've ridden so far.

Favorite Trail:   Beacon Hill

Similar Products Used:   assorted hardtails, 2001 Enduro FSR Elite

Bike Setup:   Completely stock with the exception of the tires. ritchey megabyte front/panaracer smoke rear.

Submitted by Jerry Gentry a Cross Country Rider from New Fairfield, CT

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2001

Strengths:    Overall fit and suspension design. Lightweight, built to ride off road

Weaknesses:    the cranks

Bottom Line:
I looked at full suspension for a while and this bike really seemed to hit the mark for me. I've worked at finding the right tuning, or variations of tuning, for the different types of rides I do. The litmus test is that each time I see it in the garage I look forward to the next ride. I doubt I would go back to a hardtail again (although, the GT Avalanche is still a fantastic bike). My rear Fox shock compressed a few days ago and the bike store owner was able to unstick it. He showed me where in the Fox owners manual it talks about how to do that and explained that I probably had my rebound dampening set too high and was defeating the negative release. It all made sense. I re-read the manual and tried a different combination of compression and rebound; took it out to a rocky forest trail and was very satisfied. Besides, its red!

Purchased At:   Bike Express

Similar Products Used:   RockHopper, GT Avalanche

Bike Setup:   Standard, except I changed out to a Marzocchi Atom 80 front shock, Time pedals and Mythos tires. Next will be new wheels and then cranks.

Submitted by Bob Manipis a Weekend Warrior from Issaquah, WA, King

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Strengths:    Light, fast, great climber, front and rear shock easy to adjust and lube, brakes. I have put around 200 miles and so far mo major problems.

Weaknesses:    Seat (too hard) & low bottom bracket (pedals hit the ground).

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I was able to get a 2000 closeout model for $1200.00. This bike climbs great. The Deore shifters,the brakes, shocks perform very good. Very little bobbing noticed when peddling.

I rode a hard tail before and I can really tell the difference. I have more control on the trails and my rear feels a whole lot better. For the price I paid, this was a steal relative to other bikes at this price point.

I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a FAST, LIGHT bike.

I have heard some negative things about the plastic bushings and how they wear. I put a teflon lube on them so I hope I can prolong their wear.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain

Purchased At:   Pacific Bikes

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Rob Lenseth a Cross Country Rider from Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Handle bars bend on me with in a week but upgraded them with a downhill style and have been great every since. The tires also sux. Upgrade those

Bottom Line:
Great bike for price. Will never buy another bike for any other manufacturer. Specialized makes great bikes at fair prices

Favorite Trail:   Grahm hills

Purchased At:   Bike Express

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Stock with new handle bars and tires

Submitted by Kel Boisvert a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Sask Alta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2001

Strengths:    Great component package wrapped around a nice light frame. Colour is a real eye catcher!

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket is way too low for getting over logs and rocks that other bikes seem to breeze over. Why does it not come standard with a body geometry seat?!! Bad pedals, I had those replaced before it even left the store.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike, other than the ride height which was a real pain until I purchased the longer travel link. Why specialized didn't offer it themselves baffles me still. Light and easy to throw around in the trails. Great value for the dollar.
I would have given it a 5 out of 5 for overall, but I was pretty ticked about the bracket height and the lack of adjustability on the rear linkage.

Favorite Trail:   It's all good baby!!

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Not many that I haven't!!

Bike Setup:   Monkey lite bars, Hayes disc's, RaceFace Next cranks and rings, Risse racing link to increase rear travel (and bracket height!), RaceFace stem and a set of Panaracer tires.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight for a full suspension at this price. Mine weighs 26.5 lbs. Great component mix (XT/XTR). Very tunable suspension. A five psi change in the FOX Float R makes a big difference in the ride. The Maitou MARS responds the same way. Be sure to set up the sag at about 25% to get obtimum response from the suspension. Great paint job! The bike has 200 miles on it, including some uh-oh drops, and still looks like new, dispite one cartwheeling episode down a mountain-side.

Weaknesses:    The FOX Float R went flat 30 days out of the box, but FOX repaired the shock and I was back riding in one week. No problems since. The suspension will creak and moan if not maintained. The bike needs to be cleaned regularly and the rear suspension lubed with a few drops of motor oil (per the Specilized web site). I tried this and it seems to do the trick. The noise does not affect the ride, but a bike at this price should be quite. I've had no crank problems like some of the other reviews, but have broken a few teeth off of the large chain ring with only minor hits.

Bottom Line:
If not for the failed rear shock and the persistent creaking from the rear suspension, this bike would rate 5 flamin' chilis. Great value at the price I paid.

Purchased At:   Art's SLO

Similar Products Used:   Sugar 2

Bike Setup:   Stock. XT/XTR, XT shifters, Avid brakes, Mavic 225 rims. Everything else is Specialized.

Submitted by Logan Watson a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    Good overall bike. XT/XTR is the best feature, along w/ full suspension. Frame is light/unbelievable!

Weaknesses:    Pedals are difficult to release, tires are not nobby but extremely fast.

Bottom Line:
I really like the performance of the bike. I am a completely different rider on this bike now, confidence is through the roof!! I go over ever thing without hesitation. The XT/XTR is so smooth and precise. FAST AS HELL. I like the thinner tires(1.9) than I have had in the past, but do not work as well in mud. Full suspension is definitely the difference. Manitou MARS and Fox R are perfect, uphill/downhill. I did bend the largest ring on large fallen trees(covered by warranty - 5 yrs). Go buy, if you have the money. The bike is perfect for a person my weight -170lbs. You may have seatpost problems with more weight. Do not avoid FS, you will love it.

Favorite Trail:   New Light