SoftRide 1999 Powerwing MTB Full Suspension Bike

Softride Powerwing MTB

Submitted by Aaron a Cross-Country Rider from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight.
Comfortable.
Maneuverable.
Decent looks.
Balanced.
Hardtail if you stand up.

Weaknesses:
Stem is not exactly supple.
Hardtail if you stand up.
Rear suspension is a little stiff.
Company a little fruity.

Bottom Line:
Well, where to begin. I bought this bike used for about $600, so it had some scratches and stuff and I did the usual $200 immediate upgrade (bb was sho, etc.), needed some misc other stuff. Since them have gone to ceramic rims with corresponding pads and seen much improved braking. The stock Avids (2.9 levers with 1Ds) are still going strong (God bless Avid).
The bike had about a year or so of use. Previous owner (great guy outta CA) was gong into downhill. I've used the bike very extensively, about 500 miles a month for almost five months now. Perhaps in part because of getting used to it, I enjoy it more and more everyday. It's a medium and I'm 6'2', but the size has never been a problem and the shorter wheelbase is real benefit for maneuverability between cars as well acceleration. The long stem also helps (the Softride stem is probabl 155 mm).
The Softride stem shock is not exactly supple, but it's 50mm of travel do the job well and take a lot of sting out of the so-so roads down here. Which leaves you with a rigid fork (aluminum) that tracks as perfectly as possible. It is not disc brake compatible. Think I might go over to an AMP F3 sometime in the future.
The rear suspension is great. When seated it does wonders although it will never be as forgiving as a true full suspension. But this is why I list it as both an advantage and disadvantage. If you are seated, you have a double bong bike. But if you stand to climb, it's a hard tail. Or if you stand up to decend, it's a hardtail. A subtlety on the beam suspension is that it improves your cadence. If you peddle too slow or too fast it will bob. This is wonderful for encouraging you to maintain the proper rpms.
This bike is a joy to ride. I cannot comment on the off road aspects as I'm 100% pavement, but since the streets are anything but glass here, the dual suspension is much appreciated. In fact, I love it. I don't know how I could ever go back to a hardtail unless it had a suspension seatpost.
This bike is superb. I love it more and more everyday. It makes riding a joy. For the price I paid, it was a deal. Yes, I've invested several hundred more, but has anyone bought a year old bike and not had to do the same? You owe it to yourself to check out the website for pics and specs.
My only complaint is that the company is a little sketchy. Don't like to answer their e-mails. Kinda lame if you ask me. That would go a long ways toward customer endearment. Plus they don't seem to redesign their stuff ever. Nonetheless, highly recommended.

Alameda