Schwinn 2001 Rocket 88 Stage 3 Full Suspension Bike

Submitted by nynoobie a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    Its a good overall package. Decent components. My first full suspension bike. Rides like my specialized hardrock, which is impressive for a full suspension bike. Climbs really well. love the rapid rise shifters. handles well. It keeps pace with my pals 2-5k rides.

Weaknesses:    so far no complaints

Bottom Line:
Its my first full suspension bike and it is older so I made some minor upgrades as noted in bike setup. Overall I am very pleased with it. If you can pick one up cheap and its in good shape go for it.

Favorite Trail:   none yet

Similar Products Used:   hardtails

Bike Setup:   upgraded to xt front deraileur and replaced the rear with another new xt, upgraded to avid7 brake levers, new grips, tires.

Submitted by Brian Sanchez a Weekend Warrior from Yuma, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Strengths:    Great starter bike for price w/room for upgrades. Upgraded the saddle, stem and bar for fitting purposes and the wheelset, cassette, chain and crankset as new updates. Everything removed, except for the chain, was still in good shape though after 7 years of original use.

Weaknesses:    I did start to notice a squeak after about 200 miles of use. Ended up being the bolt that fastens the upper linkage to the rear subframe assembly. It had elongated the hole on the subframe. The long shaft that it threads into doesn't go all the way thru into the other side of the subframe. This leaves some threaded portion of the mating bolt to ride within the hole of the aluminum subframe. Needless to say the steal bolt won. Anyway, I had the area re-welded with a steal insert pressed in to keep the small portion of threads from eating into the aluminum again. While I had it off I pressed in new ABEC5 bearings and the thing is tight, smooth and squeak free. For obvious age reasons the lower internal shaft seal to the fork has begun to leak and I have to check the fluid level every few rides. Unfortunately, only bushings and upper seals are available for sale on this older fork. Since it's adjustments work so well and the internals still look like new, I'm going to special order the lip seal from a seal manufacturer along with a few spares. Really easy and inexpensive fix vice the cost of a new 3.5 pound XC fork.

Bottom Line:
Awesome starter bike for the price and my local weekend enjoyment. At only $500 total invested, I continue to ride with the same speed and confidence as my fellow riders on $2K plus dollar rides. However, if you come across one for cheap, be sure to closely inspect the frame and linkage for signs of wear. If their OK then go for it, if not, you may want to reconsider if you don't know how to do the corrective maintenance yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Sugerloaf

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None. New crossover into the sport from motocross.

Bike Setup:   '01 SX-R fork; '01 SID shock w/rebound TITEC gold stem & 2+" rise bar; Original XT rear & LX front derailler; Firex crankset with bash guard; LX/MAVIC wheelset; Specialized Saddle; & lizard skinz for the stay, shock & forks!

Submitted by Jon Sillito a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, UK

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2005

Strengths:    Good set up for the price, reasonably light and well behaved.

Weaknesses:    Needs alot of maintainance.

Bottom Line:
For the money, this is a very nice bike. I got it second hand, and it was noisy as hell. I bought a replacement teflon bottom suspension bushing, which made the suspension silent, and alot less sloppy. Also, upgraded to Hydro disc brakes front and back, which was a pain in the arse, as I had to find an adapter for the frame to fit them. Got a riser bar and a shorter stem, as I wanted to enjoy the hills/drops a bit more. All in all a good starter bike, but be prepared to look after it and keep it well greased/adjusted, other wise it will be v. noisy! And get a Lizrdskin to get rid of the chainslap. After I have done all this upgrading to my bike, I really enjoy riding it in all conditions. The extra time and money spent is well worth it. I'm still gonna buy a Norco A-Line next year tho!

Favorite Trail:   Marin Trail

Purchased At:   EBay second hand

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded wheels, forks, brakes, tyres, bars, stem, get a lizardskin for the chainstay!

Submitted by Louis B a Cross Country Rider from Burns Harbor, IN USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Strengths:    Light and responsive, great set up right out of the shop. It feels more like a bmx bike. Great rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    Riser bar is too damn wide!!!! Bash gaurds don't last too long. Front suspension is awesome except on steep downhills.

Bottom Line:
Best way to get into a dual suspension bike. It was alot cheaper than anything else and takes a lot of abuse. Tires work great in about anything. Couldn't beat the price for the components you get with it.

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village

Purchased At:   Michigan City Bike Stop

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   All Stock

Submitted by Dan T a Cross Country Rider from Ral

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Strengths:    Value

Weaknesses:    Evidently the frame

Bottom Line:
Well this is a follow up and I guess I jinxed myself w/my last post. My frame failed the other day at the weld point on the top tube where the seat post brace joins it. Actually the whole top tube cracked deep anf far enough to see daylight through it. I always worried about the frame, but this is NOT where I thought the weakest point was. OH well. LBS says Schwinn has sent a new frame (I was really worried they mgiht not have any more) , before they even got a look at this one, so I can't complain. Still I am worried it wil just happen again. Still a great value especially if Schwinn stands behind the frame.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90/98, Spec. Enduro, KHS Alite, Old GT Pantera

Submitted by Matt Gustin a Cross Country Rider from Redmond,WA,USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    Indestructible so far, rear suspension is nice and tight. Geometry of bike is right on.

Weaknesses:    Needs better components, (working on that), wheels were pretty weak.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, especially since I bought it for seven or eight hundred less than the bike shops. (jerks, they jack prices like nothing else) With the five inch shock and the wheel upgrades, I am kinda in between free riding and cross. Whatever, as long as the frame and rear suspension hold up, I feel I got the best bang for the buck. If you are looking for a good crosscountry bike with full suspension, I feel you cannot go wrong with the Rocket. If you can find it now.

Favorite Trail:   Kachess Ridge

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Sugar, Fuel, Kona Bear Delux

Bike Setup:   New to bike: Marzocchi Z1 QR20, Atomic Trail Pimps, Magura Julie Disc Front and Rear, Easton 70 seat post, Titec Shorty Stem. Still standard: Fox Float rear shock, Schwinn seat (very nice), Titec Hellbent riser handlebar, TV cranks.

Submitted by Dan T. a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2002

Strengths:    Great value, Schwinn quality

Weaknesses:    Schwinn went belly up, bottom mount for rear shock looks kinda weak, but it's held well for over a year of hard riding. I'm 6'2" and approx 200lbs, and beat my bike for a XC guy

Bottom Line:
Was looking to get back into ATB stuff last year and found a screaming deal at Supergo, on both the Stage 3 and Disc. LBS matched the Stage 3 price, but couldn't get he Disc anymore when I bought. Wish like hell they could have, but w/ the price match on the Stage 3, I gladly gave them my money. Best move ever. They have totally taken care of me and the bike. Above and beyond in my mind. Ok here's the bottom line. Great bike, especially for the money, but w/Schwinn looking questionable any warranty stuff has been sketchy, but if you're reading this to researc a used buy that don't matter to you. My advice, checkout the bearings in the 4bar linkage and look for frame cracks around the bottom mount for the rear shock. If those things check out, I can definitely recommend it. 5 chili's for the value, only 4 overall (let's face it, too many bikes get a 5 when that should be reserved for the truly great ones like an Ellsworth, Rocky Mountain, or other exotic.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90; Specialized Enduro; old GT Pantera hardtail (now retired). The Trek and Specialized were rentals after I bought the Rocket. They were nice, but not noticebly better than the Schwinn (except for dics brakes)

Bike Setup:   Bone stock, so far, but I'm about to upgrade the rear derail. to an XTR, the wheelset to a deore disc hub/sun rhynolite rim, and to either Hayes or Avid mech disc brakes

Submitted by Takashi a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Strengths:    Of course, fully active rear suspension. Feels plush enough - lets me ride up Vail, Copper Mt and all other ski resort will some efforts. Heck, the price you pay going up pays off when you go down, and it's aint that much price! Pretty rigid frame for all these pivots. Ride all year long and nothing has come loose. Good componentry - LX/XT and TV cranks - good enough for the price. Added points for being rare bike any more! Good' ole days now.

Weaknesses:    Front form leaks just a bit too much from the rebound knob. Not that harmful as long as you keep it maintained. Had to get rid of the raiser bar. Needed to replace Avid with LX. Wish chain was a bit higher grade. Chain hits the lower yoke when going downhill. Wish the seat post was straight. Dull color...

Bottom Line:
Wish Schwinn is still alive and making this bike. I would've gone with Stage 2 in the couple of years - but that's not possible any more. Bought it at REI for the price last summer (before Sch went belly up). They did a crappy job setting it up - but then again, I enjoy doing this part, so need no help from them. Anyone know good alternative to this? I don't like Sugar, and I see Fuel everywhere... Big S is pretty common as well. Damn...

Favorite Trail:   Jeffco Open Space