Santa Cruz 2001 Bullit Full Suspension Bike

4.96/5 (52 Reviews)

Submitted by tony a Cross Country Rider from san diego

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    Durability, simplicity of design, great geometry for all day riding, flexy rear end, great bargain

Weaknesses:    Weight, drivetrain induced pedal feedback

Bottom Line:
I've been beating this thing for 5 years now and this is a follow up review. While the Bullit is no longer being made, I have to say the design is a lasting one as there is an iteration of the single pivot from almost every manufacturer these days. While the biggest detractor is the pedal feedback in the small ring, there's not much else to complain about outside of the heft. It was never meant to be an xc racer and for my use as an all-mountain/xc ride, there's hardly anything new out there today that can match the Bullit in regard to durability, weight, value, and sheer performance.

Nothing fancy about this design, but it just plain works. If the Santa Cruz Bullit were a car, it'd be that hard working, beat up, reliable pick-up truck that just gets the job done.

I've gone through steel, carbon, ti, 4-bar, mac-strut, other single-pivots and I can say that of the 20+ bikes I've owned, the Bullit has been my tried and true favorite.

The best thing I can say about this is that if it ever breaks, I'll go out and get another one........new or used.

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth, Titus Motolite, Trek Liquid, Trek Fuel, Titus Loco Moto, Santa Cruz Superlight......many, many more

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by Jeff Bowers a Downhiller from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    Everything. Great at downhill, freeride, dirt jumping... etc. Strong, single pivot design. can be set up for agressive XC or FR and DH. Inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    fox rc is decent, but upgrade to a 5th element and 7 inches travel

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and wouldn't trade it for anything... except maybe the vp free. It feels great on steeps, 15 foot drops, big jumps, rockgardens... it feels a lot more nimble and not as sluggish as a full on dh bikes. The perfect bike if you are looking for a freeride bike that is also good at downhill and is possable to ride uphill.

Favorite Trail:   Dogbone, Northstar

Similar Products Used:   specialized bighit, yeti asx, cortina dh8, demo 9, enduro, kona stinky, V10, orange 222 etc...

Bike Setup:   bullit, whitebrothers dh2, hayes, MRP, North Shore cranks, trail pimps, azonic, chris king, thomson...

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from The Right Coast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Strengths:    Durable
Excellent ride, corners, handles excellent.
Suspension works well

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
What can I say? Going on four seasons and riding this bike still makes me happy. The pivot bearing is still tight and smooth and the brakes outside of swapping the pads have never been touched. This bike has a few thousand miles on it easily. The shock needs to be serviced (for the 2nd time) so I'll take this opportunity to upgrade to a 5th element. I guess I'll hang on to this frame until it cracks, which may be a long time from now !

If you're looking for a long travel trail bike and don't mind the additional heft I can't see how you can go wrong !

Favorite Trail:   Anything with rocks

Carbon bar
Thomson post

Submitted by Jason from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review for the frame...I'm 230 lbs. and I have hammered this bike! I've broken two Specialized full suspension frames. I use it for XC, trail riding, jumping, and DH. Now keep in mind my weight...it's survived 5 foot drops to concrete, 6-8 foot drops onto dirt transitions (basically any drop I can get up the courage to do), and BMX track jumping when all I knew how to do was case every double. It's biggest claim to fame is how well it performs and holds up to my weight on harsh DH chair lift days (i.e. Whistler mountain bike park). I'm amazed at how much abuse it can take! I do stuff on it that should be reserved for a full-blown DH bike. And it rides so smooth. It's simplistic design makes it effortless to maintain and ensures years of reliable service. So you do end up breaking it...Santa Cruz offers a no-fault lifetime warranty to the original owner (you can get a new main frame for around $450 and a swing arm for around $250). That's a lot cheaper than shelling out $1,200 again. Bottom line: it's one of the best performers and THE best value in the business!

Submitted by carlos a Downhiller from zaragoza aragon españa

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Strengths:    the best of the bike is the well contruction of the frame, don´t crack!!

Weaknesses:    the worst thing is unavailable disc of 8" and the part where i fix the shifter, doesn´t remove

Bottom Line:
la bici esta bien pero lo dicho, lo de la puntera del shifter y no poder poner disco de 8"... eso es lo malo, pero para subir lo hace bien y el bajar mejor.

ARAGON YE NAZION!

Favorite Trail:   pinares de venecia in my city

Purchased At:   a guy from guadalajara (SPN)

Similar Products Used:   a national brand, monty, made a similar frame, about 6" of travel, giant atx 1 dh,...

Bike Setup:   marzocchi jr. t ´01 formula 4racing 03, stronlgiht century, xt/xtr, mavic d521, michelin, kujo dh....

Submitted by MIKE D. a Weekend Warrior from BRUSSELS BELGIUM

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Strengths:    CLEAN DESIGN ,HANDLING ,SUSPENSION FEEL WITH 5TH ELEMENT ,A 7" TRAVEL BIKE THAT ACTUALLY CLIMBS!

Weaknesses:    NO REPLACEABLE DROPOUT(CURED WITH A SRP WRECK DEFIER BOLT).BIT OF CHAIN GROWTH.

Bottom Line:
WANT A BIG HIT BIKE BUT NEED TO RIDE UP THE HILL?HERE'S YER TICKET MATE! AWESOME HANDLING WITH THE SUPER T ,5TH ELEMENT SHOCK IS FAB:100 TIMES BETTER THAN THE FOX. IDEAL BIKE FOR HEAVY DUTY FREERIDE AND AMATEUR DH RACING.NOTHING BAD TO BE SAID REALLY.BIT OF PEDAL FEEDBACK MAYBE...

Favorite Trail:   COTE QUI CRAQUE

Purchased At:   HOT WHEELZ

Similar Products Used:   KONAS ,SPECIALIZED ,SUS1300(great lateral travel,not much vertical though) ETC.

Bike Setup:   2001 17" FRAME,5TH ELEMENT ,SUPER T PRO 2003 ,HOPE M4 ,KING H/SET AND HUBS ,MAVIC D3.1 ,GAZZALODDIS ,DEORE ,XT ,AZONIC STEM ,THOMSON ,DMR PEDALS ,SDG ,ODI.

Submitted by Mike DiStefano a Downhiller from Scottsdale, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Strengths:    This bike rules the trails. Not only can you drop the sickest lines or huck the big gaps, you can also climb back up the hill!

Weaknesses:    8' rotor in the rear would be key, no replacable dropout. build kit is weak, beef up the bb

Bottom Line:
I have thought about getting a dh only frame, but you can do all the big stuff on the bullit.I am 100/ satisfied with this one and recomend anyone to take one for a spin.

Favorite Trail:   Papago Canal Park

Purchased At:   Bicycle Showcase

Similar Products Used:   bighit, kona stinky, giant atc

Bike Setup:   large frame, monster t, sun doublewides,azonic stem,bars,loveseat,raceface ns with bash,fox vanilla rc

Submitted by Kevin Radford a Weekend Warrior from Roblin, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Strengths:    Very nimble on the trails and on the stunts. Very solid feel on the little hits and on the 10 footers. More than decent climber considering it weighs in around 40lbs. The Fifth Element has 7 inches and lots of dialing in to work with-have been playing with the rebound dampening and have found that is very nice on the bigger hits. Very plush and capable 7" boxxer with ti/nitride up front. front and back 8" rotors in fr/back are very nice when you need them.

Weaknesses:    My rear-fifth element- shock needs to have the air pressure pumped up on every ride(but the manual does tell you this). I am wondering where my air pressure is going and will this be a problem in the future? I keep it at around 125psi. but on the next ride it is always around 110psi. I am not sure that my Fox pump which came with the fork is messing with me or not? There is some pressure loss when you take the pump off the shock valve so you need to put the pressure higher if you want a good setting.

My frame is a 2002 but SC has made changes midway through the 2002 model. The seat tube is now straight, there are cable/hydraulic hose routings, and a beefy top/down/head tube gusset was added in (all great additions so look for the differences if you are buying soon).

The paint, yah well. It just looks tough with the chips! And really i drop the dam thing on rocks so what do you expect!

Bottom Line:
I took my time riding a lot of different bikes, some good and some not so. But it came down to two things for me. One, it fit me really well(large size)and comfort in the saddle means a lot more time spent on the ride! Two, SC Bullit has a great reputation as a bike that can do the dirty deeds we tend to enjoy in our little freeride world!

You can build up your bullit a lot cheaper or even more expensive but if your gonna do it...

Favorite Trail:   Whiskey on the Rocks, Rossland,B.C.

Purchased At:   Frame and Fork West Coast Cycles/ build kit at Larry's Bike Shop in Kelowna

Similar Products Used:   Norco VPS Launch and Team DH, Specialized FSR. And a handful of others that didn't make enough of an impression to remember their names.

Bike Setup:   Dream Bike for me! Full XTR, Hayes Hydraulic 8" fr/back, Boxxer with Ti/nitride 7", Progressive Fifth Element with 7", Race Face Diablo stem, Chris King headset, Race Face DH bar, RF XY seatpost(warrantied once allready), RF splined BB and DH crankset, Mavic 521 with Formula(F) and XT(R) hubs, ODI grips and Lockjaws(fantastic), Schwalbe Space 2.35 tires.

Submitted by Braden a Downhiller from St.Albert AB Canada

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Everything...Basicly i think every part of this bike is beautiful..Amazing craftsmanship, Beautiful Shock, Sexy Paint, And I'll Never have to worry about bending another derailer hanger.

Weaknesses:    I havn't found one yet

Bottom Line:
If you want an absolutly perfect bike which feels plush yet never bottoms is light for what it is and can take the big hits and u like to upgrade over the years basicly u can tack anything on to a bullit without worrying about compatibility (24 inch wheels a Monster T Shivers etc.)and now with all the available shock upgrades its more versatile than ever.THIS IS DEFINATLY THE BIKE FOR YOU and you can't complain about the indestructable hanger and sexy custom paint jobs which they offer.

Favorite Trail:   The One I Haven't Ridden

Purchased At:   A BIke Shop

Similar Products Used:   Norco Vps 1, All sorts of Devincis, Rocky Rm7, Giant DH Comp,Fisher Repack, Norco Shore,Specialized Team DH, Specialized Big Hit Pro, Santacruz Super 8

Bike Setup:   2001 Bullit Frame, Fox Vanilla RC, 2002 Marzocchi Super T, Shimano XTR cranks, Shimano XT Hydros, Mavic D 321's

Submitted by Runcidude a Weekend Warrior from Lancashire, UK

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame, light, climbs well for the amount of travel it has. Thinking of realising its full potential though by adding a 5th Element Ti shock and Risse Trixxy fork = 7" of lush travel at each end.

Weaknesses:    Weak paint jobs - SC should spend some of the time that other manufacturer's do on a good paint job or hard anodising. cables rub through in days. Fox Vanilla RC shock - ask yourself why Santa Cruz have changed to Progressive's 5th Element????? Because the Fox is crap and the their service is worse.

Bottom Line:
About to get a serious additional upgrade as I realise I am only using half the potential of this frame. Risse Trixxy 7" going on the front end, current Z1s are good but out of synch with the potential of the rear end. 5th Element with Ti spring going on there (7.5") as the Fox Vanilla RC is crap and has blown after very little hard work at all. What can one say, I would love to be able to ride this bike as hard as it can take it. The set up helps build confidence and skills fast catching up after several years off due to work commitments. This like is what MTB riding is all about. A classic and if I don't upgrade it I will keep it as is and buy the 2002 frame to build into a Dh/ freeride beast. Full 7" travel and good climbing ability with a 34lb build. People in my club give me strange looks when I turn up for a XC ride but the additional work on the uphills is rewarded on the down where I can hit almost anything and ride away from it. The fun has just begun with this baby and it is going to love forever as far as I am concerned. Would give it 6/5 if I could. Would only get 4/5 if I wasn't replacing the Fox (POS that it is!!!). Get out there and buy one and open a whole new world of riding!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Coed y Brenin

Purchased At:   Bicycle Cafe, Canmore

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche, GT Zaskar LE, GT Zasker Race, GT LTS DH, San Andreas,

Bike Setup:   Bullit 01 frame, Z1 MCR QR20s (new Dirtjump lowers), WTB Laserdisc DH wheels, Conti Survival Pro 2.3s. Hope M4 (awesome brakes), Monkey lite carbon bar, ODI lock-ons, Raceface Northshore, V12 pedals, XTR/XT mix, Avid Flakjackets.

Submitted by Mike Rogers a Downhiller from Prince Rupert B.C.

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Strengths:    This bike is the best bike I have ever ridin!! It handles every thing 6 to 10 foot drops and I dont even feel them! the over sized tubing is really #$%#@ strong and there is not much to mess up on the frame it is real simple.

Weaknesses:    These really dont matter but the only ones are no 8" on the back and weak paint but those dont really matter.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have ever tried If u are looking for a new bike stop now and buy this bike it u will be very happy with it. It does it all.

Favorite Trail:   celltower

Purchased At:   mcbike /terrace

Similar Products Used:   This bike is better then all the other bikes I have ridin

Bike Setup:   Santacruz bullit 2001,Dirt jumper 1's, fox 6" rear,hays 8" front, 6" rear, North Shore XS,XT rear D, and so on...

Submitted by Justin a Downhiller from Corona, Ca, US

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    OMFG yes the stiffness is so good. The frame itself is pretty light and the single pivot design is so simple, pretty hard to screw something up there. The fox shock was ok until i bolted on my 9" romic which put my 01 bullit at 7" plush plush plush inches of speed sensitive travel.

Weaknesses:    NO 8" ROTOR IN THE REAR?!?!!@#$% whats the deal with that. The bike is yelling for an 8" rotor when riding fast trails like snow summit. Other than that none. Except I have one small question. Santa Cruz says the 01 bullit cant handle a 7" fork.. Well I just put my 02 super T on it and now I am afraid to hit anything big:(
If theres anyone else out there running an 01 bullit with 7" or more in the front let me know!!!

Bottom Line:
If an 8" rotor could fit on the back of this pig i'd be happy with this bike for life. WTF am i talking about i'm still happy with this bike. Im gonna give it 5 flaming thingies.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline (Troy Lee Trail)

Purchased At:   sshhhhh

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive (CRAP CRAP CRAP OMFG SO MUCH CRAP)

Bike Setup:   01 bullit, 02 super t, xt shifter pod and der, mrp guide, intense 2.7s front and rear!! romic shock (omg dont waste your money and time waiting for SC to come out with the progressive kit, just go to romic in hisperia and they will build you a shock right infront of you for $350. this shock is so amazing, will make your bike feel like a dirtbike)

Submitted by Dougie from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Strengths:    The sheer Beefiness of this baby. Takes everything I throw at it with ease. Santa Cruz' reputation is second to none.

Bottom Line:
I've tried alot of bikes, and there's alot of crap out there that shouldn't be. The Bullit isn't one of them. This bike is the most capable whip i've ever rode. I travel to North Van on a monthly basis, and it's like the bike was carved from there. Do yourself a favor, stop looking right now. I mean it...STOP!!! You're not listening to me. You have to end your search ....right now! The Bullit really is the living end.

Favorite Trail:   Anything steep n' deep

Similar Products Used:   everything else. And I mean everything: Kona, Intense, Fisher, Karpiel, Ellsworth, GT, Yeti, K2, Schwinn, Marin, etc. (i'm a bike tester for a magazine),

Bike Setup:   boxxer, hayes, race face NS cranks, Answer pro taper, Tioga Ithys, Sun double wides, Maxxis MOFO's

Submitted by Mike Richards a Weekend Warrior from farmington NM US

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2002

Strengths:    Basically every aspect of this is a strength. It is an all around bad ass rig. Eats drops for breakfast. And plus it climbs very well for a longer travel full suspension.

Weaknesses:    None, except i would like to be able to run a larger tire size.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line can be summarized using two words Mutha Trucka. This is a Mutha Trucka of a bike. One of the best ive owned. If you purchase this bike dont forget to keep your pants on. Take it form me pants are important. And so is the Santa Cruz BULLIT.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim Moab

Purchased At:   PTP

Bike Setup:   Lg frame transparent red with black swing arm, Mrp kit with Race Face north shore cranks. Xt Derailleur. Hayes Hydralic disk brakes with 8" rotor up front and 6" in the rear. Monster T. Wtb laser disk dh wheels and Wtb Moto 2.4 tires.

Submitted by Big Ken a Downhiller from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Strengths:    No weird design on this bike. Single pivot=simple, strong, effective. Climbs like a dream. Very light for a freeride/dh bike. Love the oversized tubing. Matches a monster t pefect.

Weaknesses:    are you for real?

Bottom Line:
I thought the gspot was a sweet rig. My new Bullit wipes it all over the hill. I literally am laughing when droppin in on a new line that's rutted and tight. I thought the bike would be sluggish and slow to respond due to the huge tubing. Ah, no...WRONG!! The bullit is as tight as you want it to be, and opens up for wicked descents. I was on an eight hour epic once in Greece, and I thought before I left that after the ride, I'll be looking for a new lighter xc bike. Again, wrong! The bike performed top notch. All those things you've been hearin about the bullit, believe it! IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST ALL AROUND 6" TRAVEL RIG ON THIS PLANET. Hands down.
I'm gone.

Favorite Trail:   ladies first

Similar Products Used:   cove gspot, giant XTC, Ellsworth dare (but only for a weekend).

Bike Setup:   'zoke monster t, panaracer fire dh's..2.45, Sun rhynolites, thomson stem & post, shim xt hyds.

2001 Bullit question

I scored an older 2001 bullit for under $100 bucks on Ejay. It's the first gen 6" version. I think they had a fairly steep HA at the time...but I'm not sure. So, I want to drop this bad boy down as much as possible and turn it into a low/slack flicking machine using a shorter air shock and zochi ... Read More »

2001 bullit swing arm post? What are they for?

I am very new the bikes with no motors. Anyways I just picked up a 2001 bullit that is in need of some work. I am taking everything apart to powdercoat . The little post in the middle of the swingarm that are sticking up about half inch maybe 1 inch.....what are they for? Sorry if I don't use the co ... Read More »

2001 Bullit what shock length for upgrade?

I am trying to figure out the right length and stroke for a older 2001 bullit. The current shock is a 7.875x2. The newer bullits come with a 8.5x2.5 and are recommened to run with a 160 MM front fork. I have a 160 MM fork that I am currently running and my shock is due to be replaced. Does this mea ... Read More »

2001 Bullit how to fit larger rear rotor?

I just picked up a 00 or 01 Santa Cruz Bullit. I didnt know it at the time but the rear swingarm will not accept anything larger than a 6" rotor. I am a clydesdale rider and I have already ordered a 8" rear rotor. Has anybody had any luck retrofitting the rear swinarm/axle/hub?Read More »

My 2001 Santa Cruz Bullit

What do you guys think? Will it will be good enough for whistler with 2004 super t pros on the front and fox vanilla rc's on the back? And should I get a chain guide for it?Read More »