Psyclewerks 1999 wild hare Full Suspension Bike

psyclewerks wild hare

Submitted by dean degeorge a Weekend Warrior from wisconsin

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2000

Strengths:    it is a very tuff set-up,

Weaknesses:    i hit a rock and bent the derailer hanger,it striped the threads out.i called psyclewerks they told me to send it in and they would fix it.but i needed another one for the weekend race,(the thought of using one of my other bikes made me sick).so i bought one for $300 and had it overnite.they could not fix my old one so they gave me a new one,now i have a spare. it's not a weakness but it was my only problem in 2 full years of racin.

Bottom Line:
this bike strong. im 6'2" and 225 lbs. on the downhills i keep up with and even pass some of thoses skinny bass-turds i tried other guys bikes and they don't even come close especially at speed in the big ring.it's not the lightest thing around but it rides like a 71 caddy. and yes if it got STOLD i would buy another.

Favorite Trail:   WORS all of them

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   nothing

Bike Setup:   z-2 bam,spam 8-speed,daves wheels,raceface,real,avid,king,time,thompson and other stuff i can't think of right now.

Submitted by Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    STOUT, Caddy-plush, probably less than 5 in your town (LA-area not inculded), STOUT, GREAT customer service, raised my envelope, worry FREE bushings, STOUT, no-frills design & looks, handles coners and berms like my old Yamaha YZ (BRRR-AAAAP!), did I mention it was pretty STOUT?

Weaknesses:    causes owner to neglect WORK, girlfriend (she wasn't right for me anyway), family, dog, etc.

Bottom Line:
Consider this an update to my review found in the "frames" section. After almost a year of happily BASHING my Hare around Texas (and a week in Tennessee), I have three words for you, the would-be buyer: " BUY THIS BIKE!" You WILL be the only rider on the trail with one, and you WILL be simply AMAZED! It took me some time to adjust to the tallish front end (long travel 'Zokes can do that), but the solution made me a faster rider. Screw braking, throw it in HARDER and lean it over even further! I found myself railing through a fast downhill berm in the woods in Smithville, TX almost dragging my knee. No sh*t! Rough entries into fast corners aren't an issue what with its oh-so-groovy active rear end. Once I started riding it like my old moto-x bike, I found BLISS. The pivots are STILL quiet and smooth as ever after countless grungy rides, and the frame finish, while a bit blemmished from all the abuse still looks good. Even with coil/oil at both ends, my rig still comes in at a shade over 26 pounds. With a lighter Z1 BAM (the Z1 Alloy has cast lowers and is a bit porky for it) it'll lose a few tenths of a pound. I don't get a whole lot of stares because of my rig's conservative off-white mainframe and blacked-out rear (and everything else) color scheme. But hell, who buys a bike to get complements? Buy it for the RIDE. Once you tune into the bike's aggressive nature (it prefers to be ridden at 100%) and find that symbiance, it's like your own little magic carpet for singeltrack. It feels NATURAL once things go more vertical. It's not a downhill bike. It's not a cross-country rig, either. It's just a BOSS rig that does it all! Some bikes look more refined. Others (not many with 4-5 inches of travel) may be lighter. Compare the Hare to the early Suzuki GSXR's from the mid 1980's. Fiesty spirited, tough as a ROCK, not for the faint hearted and fast as SIN. Five screamin' Cheetah-Wheelie Chilies. Out.

Favorite Trail:   always searching for it

Purchased At:   built @ West U Schwinn, Rice Village, Houston, TX (thanks JEFF!)

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Homegrown Sweet Spot (old trusty), Fisher HT (my first bike- SIGH), Special ED FSR

Bike Setup:   'Zoke Z1 Alloy 4", Shimano XT, Fox Vanilla R rear, Nukeproof Warheads, simple goodies both LIGHT and STRONG

Submitted by Pete Chagaris a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, Az South America

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Strengths:    Stout bike overall. I've ridden it a couple times a week for two solid years on all kinds of terrain, and never had a problem. Can ride it as hard today as I did the first 6 months and it holds up, stays strong.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I've gone through a few cogsets, a bunch of rear wheels, a fork, and a couple deraillers, but the frame stays strong. This bike handles greaton any terrain. Put a QR 20 on it and it rides just as nice. I'd buy another one before anything else. They stand behind it too. Great people.

Favorite Trail:   Little Bear, Flag

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky, Ellsworth truth,

Bike Setup:   Marzochhi Bam '99, race face, XT, Tioga 2.1

Submitted by Anthony Albers a Cross Country Rider from plattsmouth, ne, usa

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    I bought this frame on a chance that every one else I talked to said save my money and buy it. I was going to get a Gt Lts, santacruiz, K2, Klien, specalized, I looked at all rated bikes but every one told me go for the wildhare. So I did. I was very sceptical since I never road or even seen one in person. But I ordered it anyway complete with custom paint and annodizing. When I it arrived I was Speechless with the quality and workman ship of the frame. I walked around the store carring the frame and showing it to everyone. They all agreed it was Awsome. It took me 2 days to build up with full XTR, race face, and rock shock SID SL.
When I first hoped on it I was in heaven. IT IS THE PERFECT BIKE. I have owned many other bikes of top quality, Klien, GT, Univega, Trek, Gary fisher, None even come close. It the differance from a geo metro to a Rolls Royce. The price is high but worth every cent. If your serious about ridding, looking good, the perfect feel and the ultimate in undistructible quality you have to get a Psyclewerks!
The frame comes with 2 t-shirts, extra stickers, spare hanger, and spring. great customer service. This bike is perfect for the downhiller, the weekend warrior, racer, cross country, or to hang on the wall in the living room.

Weaknesses:    ?? Try to find one.
ITS ALL GOOD

Bottom Line:
The best bike on the market!

Favorite Trail:   sadona AZ

Similar Products Used:   KLIEN, GT, TREK

Bike Setup:   XTR, mavic 217, sid SL, raceface,

Submitted by Carl Case a Downhiller from Riverside, CA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Strengths:    HUGE pivot bolts. Many "in house", large, machined parts (swingarm yolk, BB shell and many other widgets). Overall simple design. Rigid enough to feel like a hard tail that soaks up big bumps. Has more than 4" travel. Interchange-able/Upgrade-able frame suspension components.

Weaknesses:    Bushings not bearings. largest rear tire 2.25 IRC Kujo/2.1 Tioga DH. American standard only disc brake caliper mount(requires adapter for Int. std. and small bolt mod. for good fit)

Bottom Line:
Best consumer all purpose MTB for the money. Good expert level race and ride machine

Favorite Trail:   Shuteye

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Giant ATX PRO, Intense UZZI DH, M1, Plo Frex, Mcmahon, Rotec

Bike Setup:   LX/XT drivetrain, HOPE O4 Front brake caliper/open #1 rear, HOPE Big-un hubs, mavic 521, White Ind crank, King headset, Berserker seat, IRC's in the desert and Tiogas when it's wet.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Cape Cod Mass

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2000

Strengths:    Attention to detail in all aspects of the bike; design, welding, bombproof, reasonable weight, price, company support and an incredible ride.

Weaknesses:    After two years of riding I'm still a very Happy Hare guy

Bottom Line:
For a true picture of the Wild Hare, be sure to read the 60 plus reviews in the "frames" section of MTBR's Product Review area.

I love the Wild Hare. It is a reasonably priced, well thought out, very well designed and put together bombproof reasonably lightweight full suspension frame. I ride mostly hilly wooded singletrack and this bike handles it very well. It goes where steer it, climbs well especially after I learned to keep my weight back, and the down hills are a dream. I'll never go back to a hard tail after riding this bike. Psycle Werks was incredible supportive of my decision making process a couple of years ago since at that time they had no East coast dealers. (I ordered one through BC USA). They sell a bushing replacement tool and kit for those of you that are exceptional hard on your bike but I have found no reason to need one yet. I'd buy another in a second if this one disappeared.

Favorite Trail:   Trail of Tears

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y, Schwinn Sweet Spot, Specialized FSR, Klein Mantra Ventana MP, Rocky Mountain Element

Bike Setup:   Mix XT and XTR drivetrain (8 spd) and brakes, RaceFace cranks, Just added a Z2 XFly (replaced a Judy SL/Englunds)Cane Creek AD10 rear shock, Mavic 517w/XT Hubs and IRC Mythos tires, Titec Ti Riser Bar, Moots Stem, Titec Ti seatpost and WTB saddle

Submitted by Brad Rogers a Downhiller from Elburn, IL

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1999

Strengths:
Adjustablity of travel
3.5-5.5. Clean welds and simple design.

Weaknesses:
back cross bar on chain stay gets alot of leaf build up.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike its tough and the travel is so smooth.

The Gravel Pit