Outland 1999 VPP5 Dual Crown Full Suspension Bike

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

1999 Outland VPP5 Dual Crown, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Tyler Pace a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    This bike climbs amazingly well; I've owned 60+ mountain bikes in the past 10 years, and this beats them all.

Weaknesses:    The pivot point below the crankshaft; get them replaced and toughened up and the bike rides like a cloud.

Bottom Line:
I was worried when I bought this off of Ebay.....it looked as though it was going to fall apart. I was very wrong. This bike is bomb proof (just fix the pivots). I was climbing better on this bike (with the dual-crown Bomber) then I ever do on my GT SGS-1. It's amazing.
If you're serious about climbing, as well as taking some good jumps, this is for you.

Favorite Trail:   Green Valley/Stucka Springs Loop

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   GT I-Drive, Specalized Enduro Pro, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Spinergy Rev-X-Rox, Marzocchi Bomber Jr. T, Chris King, Syncros Titanium.....LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT!

Submitted by droffats remark a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2000

Weaknesses:    White rust

Bottom Line:
If you have had problems with your frameset developing white rust (aluminum corrosion), go to valleypowdercoat.com. They sand blasted and powder coated my beat up frame. They did a killer job, great service, and sent the frame back to me packed up like it was their own. Awesome job.

Actually, I recomend them to powder coat any frame.

Bike Setup:   X-country

Submitted by some guy you don not know a Downhiller from calgary AB

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Good

Weaknesses:
Company

Bottom Line:
I am really writing this as a response to those who think that outland went tits up. I know the designer of the outlands and the company did get into to trouble but they recently sold it. The problem is the guy that bought the company has not kept up his end of the bargain when it comes to the production side of things.

tested or demo'ed only

Rocky Mountain DHO

prototype of VPP6 and stock VPP5

Submitted by Ron a Cross-Country Rider from Orange County

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1999

Strengths:
suspension quality-it is extremely plush with no noticeable bob when pedaling

Weaknesses:
lateral stiffness, but it is still better than most

Bottom Line:
Although I have not needed anything from the company since I had the zirc fitting upgrade I had no problems with returned phone calls of e-mails. At the time they were all extremely helpful and friendly. I would recommend the grease ports to anyone who has pivot problems. I weigh 230 lbs. and do moslty climbing with many downhills. I have yet to hear a creek from the pivots and it's been about a year now. By the way my riding form is not all that good so this frame has only made my riding better. I really love it.

Ortega Highway-Bluejay trail

schwinn hardtail, GT LTS-1

For vanilla Rx, Marzocchi Z-1 BAM,Shimano xtr,Sun Ringle RPM wheels

Submitted by Martin S a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton AB

Date Reviewed: April 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just thought I'd let you know that Outland seems to have gone tit's up. I know someone who worked for the shop that machined some of their parts, and outland gave them a bunch of frames because they couldn't afford to pay their bill.

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by Mike Thompson a Weekend Warrior from Lawton

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Strengths:
It's a pillow. Soaks up the bad stuff like it isn't there.

Weaknesses:
Costs a bunch.

Bottom Line:
Buy one if you like to Banzai the downhills and it climbs without bobbing. Wish I could.

12 Miles of Hell course

2 Years

Nothing like this. Have had four other full suspension bikes but this one is THE one.

Fox Air

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix AZ

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Strengths:
I feel it does everything great.

Weaknesses:
company support.

Bottom Line:
I have not found this bike to have the problems that I have heard from others, my pivots all seem fine after two yrs but I do not ride in much wet stuff. This bike does everything great I have riden other FS bike and have found flaws in them in some way shape or form but this one seems to excell in all the areas. I can say that the company support does suck and that may be a reason itself to buy something else but that would be up to the individual.

South mountain National trail

2 Years

Many URT and other linkage type bikes.

Manitou fork (not great)
All XT/XTR
Hershey brakes

Submitted by mark a Weekend Warrior from alamo

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1999

Strengths:
works great downhill

Weaknesses:
wears out pivot hardware when stressed under heavy climbing (lateral) loads.

Bottom Line:
the frame wears out the pivot hardware when used for lots of climbing. the pivot shafts are made of titanium and should have been made instead from chrome moly steel. the bushings, o-rings and glide washers are a complete and total pain to replace. and the replacement parts are close to impossible to get from outland so the last time i ordered them i bought 3 sets (about $50 each set). in fact, i found tyring to do the replacement of the pivot parts impossible and i take the frame to a shop (castro valley cyclery in castro valley, california 510-538-1878) and have them do it. that costs another $45 just in labor (albeit a well spent $45). also, don't expect any help from outland. i called them 3 times without a return phone call and finally on the 4th try spoke to someone who proclaimed he knew nothing about anything related to the bikes and he said he couldn't forward me to speak to someone who did. i askded him to have someone call me, but, no one ever called back.when this frame has fresh pivot hardware it works fantastically well, but, if you don't live next to a shop that can support you and this frame (like c.v. cyclery) i suggest you buy something else. anything else.

back creek

tons

rock shox super deluxe and a risse terminator

Submitted by Rusty a Weekend Warrior from Chino, CA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1999

Strengths:
5 of travel front and rear. Frame was built custom. It is larger than most and has an extra tube between the top tube and seat tube.

Weaknesses:
Company will not return phone calls

Bottom Line:
I love the bike, but I would like to stock up on some replacement parts. If anyone knows how to get bushing kits or dropouts, please post it here. I have called Outland many times, but no luck. Calling Outland directly doesn't work.

3 months