Oryx 2001 Super Freak Full Suspension Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Jonas a Weekend Warrior from Lantana, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Strengths:    Solid construction for great Durability. Higher level OEM products

Weaknesses:    Its a bit front heavy, altho the Tail is pretty light

Bottom Line:
This bike is for the beginer or the expert. It is unbreakable. I have had a few whipe outs on this bike, yet I still have ALL the original parts. I originally thought this would be a downgrade to my Specialized, but it was pretty identical except for the weight.

Favorite Trail:   ALL of EM!

Purchased At:   Ebay.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FXR

Bike Setup:   ALL origianl parts. Shimano Crank and Brakes. Fox Rear independant Shock, 2003 Judy TT Rockshox Fork-TRAVEL: 80 mm. oval stubby Bar-Ends

Submitted by Tyson Scott a Downhiller from Idaho Falls, Idaho, US

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    This is actually a review for the Freak 250. It is an excellent bike for the money that I paid for it. Took it off of a six foot drop off, and it didn't even phase the bike (or me).

Weaknesses:    The left crank has started to squeak, and the seatpost as well. The nose of the saddle has never been able to go level either, but that could be fixed if I just went and bought a new one.

Bottom Line:
The whole bike is like a rock (in a good way). Takes hits, never had any damage to rims. Just barely popped the tube this week. I love the tires, they kick butt. Wish the back shock were a little better, but it handles stuff as good as most anything else. I LOVE the fork and rims. Sprocket is sounding like the bearings are wearing out, but that can be expected when you do a lot of riding through creeks. No damage to the bike that I can blame on anyone but myself, so all I can really say is if you can find an oryx somewhere, it will be well worth the money. Although it is an obscure name, it is the pimp dizzle. Took a risk buying it on ebay (never having heard the name before, and never riding it either) but I have NO complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Mink Creak Area

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Glen a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Strengths:    Overall ability to climb anyhting. I'm a big guy, who needed a big bike. This bike is built for big dudes. Since picking up my Super freak. I've been able to climb further and faster, been able to increase my speed on decents and overall, the bike has improved me as a rider / racer.

Weaknesses:    The way the frame is set up it makes it very difficult to rack / store the bike. It's a Y-type frame.

Bottom Line:
The best bike I've ever ridden. Three of my team mates
are jealous as hell. We are all at the same level of fitness and skill. But they opted for hardtails, I can
outclimb then, and I can beat them on the down hills.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bikesports

Similar Products Used:   I tried a trek fuel 80 / 90 / 100.
Kona Caldera / Kona King Kakapu / Stinky (way too heavy).
three to four different Kleins, and two Cannondales.

Bike Setup:   M