Norco 2001 VPS Drop Full Suspension Bike

4.88/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    hardy beefy frame

Weaknesses:    grip shift are retarded. go to bunny hop off something and shift gears in mid air, n when you land and pedal out you skip gears and smash your knees on the handle bars. THEY ARE STUPID!! and the crap shock that has no rebound adjust so no matter what you do you will always have a fll 1-2 second delay before shock returns to normalit. change it out for something faster like a vanilla RC, roco, dhx manitou any thing that is adjustable.

Bottom Line:
this is a minty bike. minus the stock setup, once you upgrade almost every thing to better newer junk this bike absolutly rocks your world. dont bother buying one unless its upgraded alredy or else your going to have to spend more on part than you did on the bike. that said, the bike its self is great

Favorite Trail:   A-line, whistler

Purchased At:   pink bike buy sell

Similar Products Used:   brodie 9 ball, but with less travel

Bike Setup:   Marzzochi super T pro, sram trigger shifts, stupid vanilla slow spring shock, beefy 3.2 no name tires.

Submitted by Joel Sell a Weekend Warrior from Philly, PA USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    DH wheels, comfy seat, 5" of travel is really nice when your old bike only had 3", disk brakes, beefy looks, it has handled EVERYTHING I have thrown at it- 7ft drops to flat, 12ft drops, major crashes

Weaknesses:    5" of travel isn't enough after a while, SRAM HALF PIPE SHIFTERS- GET RID OF THEM IMMEDIATELY!, the bike is a bit heavy if it's gonna be your only bike, the non-adjustable Fox Vanilla shock- I blew it after a year

Bottom Line:
This bike took me from a wannabe freerider to maniac on a bike. There was no hill too steep, no drop too big, no set of doubles too far apart, nothing that stopped me. The bike felt and still feels like riding a motorcycle. It just feels BIG and STRONG. The fist night I got it, I was out riding it in the dark in a park and WHAM! I hit a 5" log that had fallen across the trail. I flew about 20ft and landed on my shoulder. I dislocated it. The bike was FINE. Everything has held up great on the bike. I just recently bought a hardtail and I started noticing just how heavy my Norco Drop really was. Other than the weight, I can't complain.
5 chilis for value
4 chilis for the not-so great rear shock and the weight

Favorite Trail:   The Crippler

Purchased At:   Pinkbike Buy and Sell Pages

Similar Products Used:   Nuttin

Bike Setup:   Stock except for re-drilled link plates and a 5th element in the rear for almost 8" of travel, Shimano Rapid fire shifters, ODI lock on grips, RockShox Boxxer (7") forks, Avid mechanical calipers

Submitted by Matt Priest a Weekend Warrior from Chilliwack, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Strengths:    Unbelievable bike for the money, handles any drops 6ft and under no problem (I weight 220lbs), great frame, good rims, good components, and awesome front fork for the money.

Weaknesses:    Z-5 fork a little weak for me but possibly new springs and heaviern oil could help somewhat

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks ass for the cash. A great bike for a beginner to intermediate downhiller that can be upgraded
to a kick ass downhill machine that anyone would ride. This bike is strong it has handled all the punishment that I have given it and it always comes back wantin more. Buy a Norco, cause Canadian bikes rock and are superior produsts. They look damn sweet too.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock except switched grip shift to rapid fires and shortened Funn handle bar by 1 and a half inches at each end

Submitted by Joe Carcasole a Downhiller from North Bay Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is very solid. Rear suspension works very well for it's non-adjustable state.

Weaknesses:    Grip shift, switched those out already, cranks came loose...defenitly not good.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, can handledrops well, very very nice...i still get excited when i ride it.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore road off Penninsula

Purchased At:   Cheapskates

Similar Products Used:   GT RKS, Specialized FSR Ground Control, Kona Stinky, Kona Stinky Five

Bike Setup:   Z.5 Bombers, Deore Rapid Fire

Submitted by andy a Weekend Warrior from victoria

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Strengths:    everything. the suspension is great front and rear, the hayes hmx have to be broken in but then they're rad. the rims are super strong.

Weaknesses:    i changed the grip shifters to deore rapid fires when i got it because i knew they would suck. bent one of the pins on the pedal the first ride and can get it out

Bottom Line:
this bike is the best. on small drops you don't even feel them. off jumps the bike is really stable it doesn't feel like my old hardtail but i'm still geting used to it. it's great for the money to because you get top quality parts. this bike climbs better than a hardtail so even a hardcore x country person could ride it. this bike is good for anyone

Purchased At:   oak bay

Similar Products Used:   vps launch, vps shore, hardtails

Bike Setup:   stock but with deore rapid fires

Submitted by bruce a Racer from halifax

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    -the moncoque front end is sweet
-the priced compared to a stinky with leser spec
-the z5 QR20

Weaknesses:    the gripshift were too long and very dangerous at high speeds when braking. it could use a rebound ajuster on the shock.

Bottom Line:
this is a sweet bike for an agressive xc rider that wants to do drops but doesn't want to be out of a bike when waranty time comes. this bike is an excellent decender, and it climbs like it was Lances tour de france bike, well maybe not that good but it is good at the short technical climbs, better than my xc hardtail. I haven't had problems with the pivots but the 2001 have cartridge bearings. i'd also like to say that i'm 200lbs and ride very fast and do 6 ft drops to flat regularly. I've also seen in a video where a guy tries this 20 ft high road gap, totally cassed it and landed on the pavement and all he hadf was a warped rim, no frame damage

Favorite Trail:   the crazytrain

Purchased At:   the coolest shop in ns

Similar Products Used:   5" stinky
spec fsr big hit

Bike Setup:   stock setup except for magura julie disc brakes, a specialized evil twin 2.5 tire in the front and a maxxis moffo 2.35 in the rear.

Submitted by Robert a Downhiller from montréal

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    Frame construction, stiff,strong so you can trust it, great on climb better then my hardtail, rims, and all exept the weaknesses ..

Weaknesses:    Grip shift, to long seat post so I cut it, hayes mecanicals( my V-breakes on my X-country are a lot better).and the strange sound of the freame ( but on a DH) you dont notice it.The paint( but who cares ) it's scrach easely.

Bottom Line:
I love my bike, the Z5 and the rear shock are ok, but I want more, so I upgrade, because i want and not because i need to...WELL A GOOD FREERIDE BIKE, and it's Canadian.
(sorry for my english i'm a french guy)... RIDE AND RIDE AGAIN AND AGAIN . :-)

Favorite Trail:   Bromont and technical DH

Purchased At:   Quilicot

Similar Products Used:   Norco charger, Specialized stumpjuper FSR with a Z1,

Bike Setup:   Stock, for now, but, next summer i'll have a Z1 FR QR20 or a M.T 2000, at the rear a stratos helix, and magura Julie FR ( FR/R).

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Kelowna, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Strengths:    SUPER STRONG FRAME, BEEFY RIMS, GREAT FORK, REALLY PLUSH SUSPENSION, IT'S CANADIAN MADE!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    THE BRAKES ARE GOOD BUT NOT GREAT, IF I EVER GET ENOUGH $$$ I WILL UPGRADE THEM TO HYDROS, THE SRAM HALF-PIPE SHIFTERS SUCK, SO I AM GONNA PUT ON RAPIDFIRES AS SOON AS MY LOCAL SHOP GETS 'EM IN!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE IS RAD! IT'S REALLY BOOSTED UP MY RIDING AND PUSHES ME ALL THE TIME!THE MARZOCCHI Z-5 QR-20 IS A GREAT FORK AND THE FRAME IS TOP-NOTCH! TEH COMPONENTS ARE GREAT, OTHER THAN THE SRAM SHIFTERS, DITCH 'EM RIGHT AWAY, YOUR LOCAL SHOP SHOULD DO THAT FOR YA' FREE OF CHARGE! I'M 14 AND WEIGH AROUND 150 SO IF YOU WEIGH ANYMORE THAN THAT I'D PAY THE EXTRA $$$ FOR HYDROS! BUT THIS IS THE BEST BIKE EVER FOR THE PRICE AND I LOVE IT! SHE'S A BEAUT!

Favorite Trail:   All the Crawford Trails

Purchased At:   Gericks Cycle Kelowna

Similar Products Used:   I'VE DEMOED A '99 GARY FISHER LEVEL BETTY, ASWELL AS A KONA STINKY, WHICH SUCKED!!!!!!

Bike Setup:   STOCK BUT I'M GONNA' CHANGE THE SHIFTERS TO LX RAPIDS!!!!!!!

Submitted by Manish a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Strengths:    BEEFY MONOCOQUE FRAME DESIGN, VUELTA RIMS AND OVERALL INSPIRING COMPONENTARY

Weaknesses:    AVID 5.0 DISC BRAKES, NO CHAIN GUIDE, SRAM GRIPSHIFT SHIFTERS

Bottom Line:
AS WELL AS SERVING AS A DH BIKE IT ALSO HAS MANY OTHER CAPABILITIES SUCH AS DUAL SLALOM, URBAN THRASH AND TRAILS RIDING. THIS BIKE IS A MUST FOR THOSE BEGINNER DOWNHILLERS.

Purchased At:   Pedal Inn

Bike Setup:   MARZOCCHI QR20+ Z-5 BOMBER, KENDA KINETICS, SRAM SHIFTERS, AVID 5.0 CABLE/HYDRAULIC DISCS, F.U.N.N HANDLEBAR, THE FENDER

Submitted by Olivier from Bromont, Qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Strengths:    I bought a rental at the end of the season. They were giving really good big rebates. And although it's been riden about 30 times by other people this summer, it's still feels solid and like it's just been out of the box. This bike can that A lOT of abuse!!! I just like the overall kinda solid ans "secure" ride it provides. You always want to push harder with this bike...that's when you know you have a good bike in your hands.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side, Hayes mechanical. Hayes makes great hydro disks brakes but if you're gonna have a mechanical disk brakes system I prefer Avid.

Bottom Line:
You always feel you can push it harder...a great bike...specially at the price I paid =)

Purchased At:   Bromont mountain Sports Expert

Bike Setup:   upgraded to Hayes hydro disk brakes

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Kelowna , BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2001

Strengths:    BEAFY FRAME, SUPER PLUSH SUSPENSION, SWEET FORK (MARZOCCHI Z5 QR20), SOLID RIMS (VUELTA DH DISC), AND GREAT BRAKES FOR ME (HAYES MECHANICALS)!!!!!

Weaknesses:    I'M JUST FINDING IT HARD TO GET USED TO THE SRAM HALFPIPE SHIFTERS, I'M THINKING OF GETTING RAPIDFIRES INSTEAD! IT'S A LITTLE HEAVY, BUT I'LL GET OVER THE WEIGHT PROBLEM FOR SURE!

Bottom Line:
FOR THE SHORT TIME I'VE HAD IT, I LOVE IT! EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT, OTHER THAN GETTING USED TO THE SHIFTERS. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO ON A COUPLE MORE RIDES AND SEE WHAT THIS BIKE CAN HANDLE! BUT THIS BIKE HAS REALLY RAISED MY CONFIDENCE ON MY RIDING, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW FAR I CAN PUSH MYSELF WITH THIS BIKE! IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! SO IF IF U WANT TO PUSH YOUR RIDING, THEN I WOULD RECOMEND THIS BEAST OF A BIKE TO U!

Purchased At:   Gericks Cycle Kelowna

Similar Products Used:   TESTED A '99 GARY FISHER LEVEL BETTY!

Bike Setup:   STOCK, SO FAR!

Submitted by Matt Milford a Weekend Warrior from Kanata ontario canada

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Strengths:    You guys keep messin up, You sayed this frame is aluminum when it is actually monocoque but other than that Everything is great. Gotta love them QR 20 forks.

Weaknesses:    Nothin

Bottom Line:
Awsome bike. I demode one and my friend owns one. My only beef is the price. Its about $700 out of normal peoples price ranges unless you work at the bike shop. Bring on the big drops because this will eat them up and still ask for more. Its will take more than my other friends XCR with its massive travel JR.T fork. Better put this bike in your will because chances are it will out live you.

Favorite Trail:   kanata lakes