Motiv 1999 HighRidge Full Suspension Bike

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

Motiv HighRidge

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim, CA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2004

Strengths:    Aluminum frame, decent components, sturdy and great looking.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money, and a nice way to go for someone just getting started with mountain biking who doesn't want to spend a lot of money to have some fun. I bought one at Costco for my son and I liked it so much I bought one for myself a few months later. I've had mine for one year and I've had no problems. We trail ride on weekends and it takes a fair pounding and always bounces back.

I purchased mine from the guy who takes all the returns from Costco and reconditions them. I only paid $150.00 for a brand new bike. Even at the regular price I don't think you can go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Trails near my house.

Purchased At:   Costco

Bike Setup:   Completely stock, except I added a computer.

Submitted by John Reinhart a Weekend Warrior from Pinellas Park, Florida

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Strengths:    Great components, very functional, great looking, sturdy frame and suspension.

Weaknesses:    Front shocks bottom out very easy - not enough travel.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for several years and it is a excellent bike... only complaint is the front shocks stink (I am only 180lbs and the front shock bottoms out on the smallest twig!)

I would not have a problem with buying another Motiv HighRidge, it's a great sturdy bang for your buck!

Here's a current pic of my bike:

Purchased At:   Sams Club

Bike Setup:   Stock bike except I removed all the gaudy stickers, added head and rear lights, added computer and added GPS

Submitted by jerry a Downhiller from seattle, wa, usa

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2002

Strengths:    cheep, 4 inches of rear suspension, somewhat good components. after upgrading several things its a very nice bike, able to whithstand big drops

Weaknesses:    fork sucks (i bent the stear tube in one day but it was from jumping an 8-stair set a couple times) fork bottems out easily. fork is masivly heavy. rims suck. crank sucks. tires suck. grips suck.

Bottom Line:
its a great bike for the money. if you don't liek dishing out alot of cash, and you want a bike that's good for trail riding and able to withstand drops and jumps, then this is a good bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   big drops

Purchased At:   sam's club

Similar Products Used:   k2

Bike Setup:   everything stock exept for tires(wbt motoraptors), fork(jr t) rims (sun/ringle mamoth), grips, crank(truvativ hussefeld dh), and pain job.

Submitted by 42-iiii mnnn a Downhiller from cinnabun NJ

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2001

Strengths:    out of this price range the RockPoint 2000-01 Is a suprising
5 out of 5. For the less serious Advanced Or A Rigid Beginner looking for rough&tough ride. This will suit you.***** Five stars.Customer service will help with any replacement parts No Questions Asked. And Prompt Shipping. No hassiles or Runarounds.

Weaknesses:    Some welding Infractions I've been told, None I've seen yet. I pounce all day, And no sign of fray. The frame is a bit heavy though, But Fun as hell.

Bottom Line:
Over All In Rain, Mud, Or, SNOW!!! With Hutchinson Alligators, Road use Musquito's by Hutchinson.
Comes in Blue Red Yellow, Or Red Blue Yellow. Either Way Hutchinson makes those tires in Black,DoubleYellow, Or Black doubleRed. I'm Almost sure that they have Blue. But the red bike Accented with yellowblack tire looks K-rad Alright.

Purchased At:   Sams Club

Similar Products Used:   Acer Shimanos 24speed(+), Gondo Forks(oversized(+)),REAR Disc breaks capable(++),6061 T6 Aluminum Oversized Frame(++)
98% Aluminum (except for the Rear Cassette,And Bar-ends, Tires, Handle Grips, Carbon Handle Bar.Other than that (98-95%)Aluminum

Bike Setup:   For Extreme Off Road In mind This Bike will take you anywhere you wanna go. Especially Street With Alligator Hutchinsons(yellow) you get great traction in rain, mud, Even SNOW!!!! Really try that with a MTB With ALLIGATORS ($60A pair) All year round bike. BEWARE OF LOW SEAT POSTS. THEY WILL BOTTOM OUT ON TIRES. Get two posts, One long for rode use. And A shorter one for heavy off road use.

Submitted by dave from warrington england

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    frame,price,stability

Weaknesses:    not a name (like that matters)

Bottom Line:
its a moitv yukon this is a nice bike, the componentry lasted and is still going on my hardtail but got upgraded when the bike was resprayed (black a gray looks the bol';@ks) the rear shock is a bit touchy and the pivots take some work to look after but thats only due to the work they are under in the wet of england. the pivot point being before the bb means supurb power transmisson even when out of the saddle. it handles like a dream going down hills and over jumps but with a quick change of seat post runs the cross country stuff like no ones business. if your after a cheap bike then this is the one i looked at the ground pounder but it was to heavy and had worse componentry then this bike. go out and get one and sod the purists who think that a bike that costs 2000 quid is better bike for it this machine rocks. altough getting hold of the company is proving a bit hard with there website not up and running so if you have any idea how to do this tell me ?

Favorite Trail:   delamere forest

Purchased At:   costco

Similar Products Used:   trek, viper,

Bike Setup:   deore mechs, fsa powerpro cranks, rst disc x frount and rear (with the help of a2z adapter from woollyhatshop.com) bomber z5 100mm tioga 2.3 dh for the fun stuff ricthey omega/alpas for the cross country mavic rims deore rear disc hub hope joy front hub

Submitted by Anita a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    Motiv Ground Pounder - Great entry level Mt Bike, inexpensive, durable, name brand entry level components (Shimano Acera front, Shimano Alivio rear, Grip Shift SRAM MRX plus...), looks good.

Weaknesses:    Location of water bottle holder (underside), somewhat heavy.

Bottom Line:
My bike is actually the Motiv Ground Pounder. I was looking to replace my old Mt Bike (12 years old) and start doing more biking. I really wanted to have a dual suspension, so I spent a lot of time looking at entry level Mountain Bikes at several LBS's (dual was out of the question price wise), and I got to the point where I was looking at spending about $800 on a reasonable entry level hard tail. I had to back up and rethink, because I was just a weekend rider and I really actually wanted a dual suspension. Then I came across this Motiv at costco and thought, what the #$%@@, at least I'd only be out $250 if I didn't like it. I took it to my LBS and they said it was the best dept store bike they'd ever seen. It had also been put together very well (apparantly a big issue). My shifter was a little rough, so they replaced a cable and it has since been problem free and a joy to ride. I love it! My boyfriend bought the Gary Fischer Sugar 3, an awesome bike, but I must say, I have no problem keeping up with him on my Motiv. We ride the same trails, and when the day is through, we've both had a great time, we are both happy with our bikes perfomances, and I'm $1000+ richer. Purists turn their noses up at it (without even giving it a try), but this bike does get a lot of looks anyway (very good looking). If you're just looking for an entry level mountain bike (although I intend to keep mine indefinately & upgrade as needed), and you don't mind the scrutiny of the purists, this bike is as good a deal as you'll ever get! $250! Five flamers all around!

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fischer Sugar 3

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mark cxunningham a Downhiller from va

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    cheap, strong, ive had over 6ft air on this sob, and it didnt break, (my leg did.)

Weaknesses:    it needs some stuff upgraded. (Get sun rhinolite rims, for one)

Bottom Line:
I love motiv because they have no-b.s. customer service, cheap products, and pretty decent quality. keep an eye out 4 the guy with two right-hand forks!!! peace.

Favorite Trail:   backyard downhill coarse

Purchased At:   sams club

Bike Setup:   !!!YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET A FREE SUSPENSION UPGRADE!!! i weigh 220 (6ft 3in) and the front suspension just wasnt cutting it, so i called motiv and asked them if they could help. they sent me a suspension fork with two right-hand forks for free!!! (warning: this makes the suspension twice as strong, but if your big and into downhill, it works out great. it seems to handle better to.) If you do, get a bolt and a nut that is the same size of the shear pin in the front end (the piece that holds the steering tube to the front forks) and tap the pin out and replace it with the nut and bolt. I have had 2 break because the pin broke or slid out and i didnt notice until to late. Keep An Eye On It!!! look for anything suspicious.

Submitted by TROYE MEYER a Weekend Warrior from ENCINITAS (SAN DIEGO)

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2001

Strengths:    IT SEEMS DURABLE (WELL, AT LEAST THE FRAME) AND THE SHOCKS SEEM FINE - ITS GREAT FOR THE BEGINING RIDER (YOUNG OR OLD) I,VE ATE IT ON THIS BEAST A FEW TIMES WITH LITTE DAMAGE

Weaknesses:    ITS HEAVY, AND NOT VERY HIGH QUALITY (WELL IT WAS $200) I PULLED THE GRIP OFF IT YESTERDAY IN A CRASH.

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE FOR NEW RIDERS AND A GREAT PRICE - IF YOUR ALREADY INTO THE WHOLE BIKE THING ALREADY AND LOOKING FOR A NEW BIK, THIS AINT IT.

Favorite Trail:   WATER TOWER BEHIND MY HIGH SCHOOL

Purchased At:   COST CO

Similar Products Used:   BRANDIS POC

Submitted by Darryl Bradley a Weekend Warrior from Laurel, Marylan

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2000

Strengths:    Very affordable
Aluminum frame
Seems strong as hell

Weaknesses:    Heavy
Should have came with a sealed bottom bracket
Cheap wheels(but what do you expect for the price)

Bottom Line:
All right, so I've got about $600 into it now, but it was the only way I could get around my wife and spend this much on a bike.This thing rocks, the frame is strong as a bull, a little heavy,probably due to the heavy welds,but this thing will take a beating.
I will upgrade the rear shock,way later,but I like the way this thing rides.I had a K2 Ecotec 3 a couple years ago, and I think this thing has smoked it. I really like the way the rear suspension is set up, beefy a$$ rear end and it doesn't seem to want to throw me head first over the bars like some of the other full suspension bikes.
For anyone just looking to get into mountain biking, this thing is a great deal. The components that came on it aren't the best, but they will last and are all entry level for mountain biking.So, if your are looking for something fun to ride and want to get into the mountain biking scene, this will do the trick easily.Just ignore those people on the expensive machines and have fun with it.
It gets 5 chilis for value rating as it is a bad bike for the price, but they only get 4 chilis on overall rating for putting that sorry bottom bracket in it.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail I can find

Purchased At:   SAMS Club

Similar Products Used:   Proflex full suspension

Bike Setup:   Actually, a Motiv Rockpoint with Icon straightbars, zokes pro shocks, LX hubs with sun sub 6 rims,Revolt ST tires,Sugino 700 crankset,STX rear derailluer, and XT bottom bracket.

Submitted by PaulBaby a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2000

Strengths:    Its pretty light, the suspension works great for my needs..I got this baby up t0 40 MPH and I didnt think I was going to die like my old bike..

Weaknesses:    I dont really like the sram shifters and I had to buy a new seat right away..this one hurts the gonies..

Bottom Line:
There is some guy who sells these things out of a wherehouse near my home..FOR $130!! Its unbelievable..I used to race BMX and I love to jump, my old bike nearly broke in half and this thing keeps on tickin'. I recomend it if your not a pro or a superficial freak who needs to ride a $3000 bike..those guys always stare at my bike and I just say 130 bucks bro, 130 bucks..

Favorite Trail:   Chino Hills, im lazy its 5 minutes away..

Similar Products Used:   2000 Mongoose

Submitted by Jack a Weekend Warrior from South Windsor, CT

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1999

Strengths:
Value (price, frame, suspension). Well equiped introductory bike (21 speed). Very informative Customer Service dept.

Weaknesses:
Off-brand and a bit flimpsy chainwheel. The smallest one is too close (4mm) to the frame. Chain stretched, over-shifted, felt off and stuck between smallest chain wheel and frame, gouging soft aluminium frame. Cable housings(deraileurs, brakes) are a bit shorter than needed, get tugged when the rear suspension flexes.

Bottom Line:
Very good value bike for beginners looking for more than a plain-old MTB. I have been looking for an inexpensive but safe introductory mountain bike. Found the bike at Sam's Club at $200. Overall it's a great value (full suspension front and rear), light weight aluminium frame, brand-name components (Sram twist shift, Shimano cogset and derailleurs, linear brake, etc.)
I got into the habit of riding the bike more often (every other day and weekends) than anticipated. In another year or so, chain wheel and rear cogset may need to be upgraded for smoother shifting off-road.

Local rail trails

6 months

Trek, Raleigh 60 (bought for wife)

Raleigh 60

Submitted by Jack a Weekend Warrior from South Windsor

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1999

Strengths:
Price, full suspension introductory bike. Very informative Customer Service dept.
Brand-name component (Shimano deraileurs, Sram grip shifter, etc.)

Weaknesses:
Weak chainwheel, the smallest one mounted too close (3mm) to the frame (not sure it's specs or assembly issue). Cable stretched, chain felt off the smallest chain ring, stuck betweek it and frame, gouged soft aluminium frame.
Cable housings on back are too short and got tugged and bent when frame moved with rear suspension.

Bottom Line:
Very good value for introduction to MTB. Full suspension eases me into off-road rides. I enjoyed the bike and riding almost every day and weekends. May have to upgrade chain wheel and hubs to do more active off-road. Highly recommended if you can find it. According to Motiv, bike is only for wholesale to Sam's Club and the like. Definitely should work with a local bike shop for adjustments after 30 days or so.

6 months