Moots 2001 Smoothie Full Suspension Bike

Submitted by Steve Marshall a Cross Country Rider from Steamboat Springs

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Strengths:    Everything!!

Weaknesses:    Maybe the additional weight

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a Moots YBB for a few years now (see reviews on YBB page)and this bike does fill a small weakness that the YBB has - the rear triangle.

I demo'ed a Smoothie on two different occasions recently - once in Steamboat for a quick spin on the Prospector Trail near Nipple Peak and then in the Ketchum area on the epic ride in Idaho - Fisher Creek.

Both experiences were similar in my take away impression of the bike; it has all of the strengths of the YBB - quick handling side to side, responsive frame (springy Ti feeling), and it adds an element that is missing from the YBB - a solid feeling to the rear triangle.

Where that shows up is in climbing traction - the rear wheel is always grabbing rather than hopping - and in high speed downhill - the rear end stays behind the front wheel; it is not easily deflected by obstacles in the trail. Example - I have now ridden Fisher Creek Trail on the Smoothie and my YBB within a 1 month period - I went faster down the "luge" parts of this trail on the Smoothie than on my YBB; just a question of confidence.

I am happy to say that there will be a new bike in my life next Spring and maybe a sweet YBB in yours (see above) when my current ride goes on sale at the same time.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail that I have ridden

Similar Products Used:   Moots YBB, GT LTS-1

Bike Setup:   Smoothie - XT Gruppo, Fox Vanilla 100, mechanical disk brakes, Mavic Cross Roc Tubeless with Python rubber.

YBB - XTR/XT Gruppo, Mavic Cross Max with Hutch Scorpions, Fox RLC 80, Race Face Next LP crank, Moots seat post, Answer Taper bar, Moots oval stem, Terry Fly seat, Shimano 959 pedals.

Submitted by T.R. a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Strengths:    A beautiful full Ti suspension frame. Nice finish and weldings, beautiful headtube badge. Light but durable, sealed bearings, Disc and V-brake option. No squealing, even after muddy rides. The best craftmanship in business. It's a perfect XC Bike. It 's effective on climbs and comfortable on descents. Very smooth on rough trails. Neutral handling in all off road situations. Stable at speed on fire roads and fast on narrow winding single tracks. It's as fast as my Hardtail. It does not bob very much on climbs, even on asphalt. I do not use the lockout of the Fox Float RC during climbing. For me it's a perfect bike!

Weaknesses:    Very expensive, but it is a frame of the highest quality.
Decals are only stickers and can wear off, I would prefer lasered decals, like Morati frames.

Bottom Line:
I only rode hardtails till I get the Smoothie. The Smoothie handles everything better than my hardtails, except asphalt climbs. But even on asphalt climbs it's effective without using the lock out of the Fox Float RC. I think about selling my Hardtail, because I do not ride it, since I have got the Smoothie. You wont be disappointed with the Smoothie, if you are searching for a durable, lightweight XC - fullsuspension bike.

Similar Products Used:   Noone.

Bike Setup:   SIDney fork, full XTR, XTR hubs with Mavic X618 Ceramic and black DT Comp, Chris king headset, Moots Ti Beam stem and Seatpost, Schmolke Carbon handlebar, Flite TT, Tune barends, Schwalbe Jimmy light tires, Panaracer Greenlight,

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Hunterdon, New Jersey, USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Strengths:    Nimble, Great climber, Looks great, rides better.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Great cross country bike. Very nimble, yet handles the rocky downhills with no problem. Has the lateral stiffness of a hardtail. Very little if any bob. I agree with the Moots motto- Perhaps a high end expensive mountain bike is the last thing you need, but if you love riding like we do, maybe it's the first thing you need.

Purchased At:   Evolution Pro Bike

Bike Setup:   xt, White Bro. XC4, Avid Mech.(front), UST Tubeless, Mich. Wildgripper xls, Selle Prolink, Thompson Elite stem/post, Ibis Rosies, King headset,747 pedals

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Studio City, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2001

Strengths:    workmanship, replacable derailleur hanger, rear dropouts, welded in waterbottle inserts

Bottom Line:
great bike, no complaints. Kind of expensive if you dont ride alot but worth it all the same. The lockout works great. No squeaks or creaks. It is a very comfortable frame all the way round. This bike climbs great and is unbelievable on the descents. I rode a Merlin extralight for 5 years and the recently a ti seven sola for the last 3 years and I could not see going back to a hardtail. The smoothie all ti is insane!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Backbone