Moots 1999 Mootaineer Full Suspension Bike

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

1999 Moots Mootaineer, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano XTR components, Answer Manitou SX Ti, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by smglasbiker a Racer from Bloomington, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    Full Titanium, Flawless metal work, Spot on handling, Pride of ownership, Amazing suspension feel and performance, Durability.

Weaknesses:    27.2 seat post size(rather at least a 28.6). Initial bushing squeak that was solved completely with bearing upgrade. Red loctite your head tube badge. Only made 3 years.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the finest handling cross country full suspension bikes I have ridden. It delivers a very precise and efficient ride do to the design of the M-Arc suspension. I never have to ride it locked out due to its efficiency. I was a dedicated hard tail rider before demoing one of these for 2 weeks. I realize the limitations of the bushings, as mine came with them, but I personally did the work upgrading mine to sealed bearings and now it is flawless(I would not recommend doing the upgrade yourself unless you are good with a lathe). This bike was over 8 years in the design process. It was designed by legendary bike genius Kent Eriksen and it shows in its performance. I feel the frame was technologically ahead of its time, but now that we have the Fox RP23 and Talas it has really come into its own. I normally run it at 100mm and with tubeless pythons the handling is so good it is almost like cheating. My bike is not set up light, it weighs 27 lbs and I am a 220 lb rider that rides at an expert level, so it gets ridden hard and fast. My friend has the exact same Mootaineer and we have ridden the frames to failure(all frame break eventually if they are really ridden). Only long term weakness we have found is the drive side chain stay near the bb pivot which was fixed by Moots for a smoking deal($60). It doesn't get any better than that for a second owner. We also broke the bar that goes through the top of the shock, which has been redesigned and is stronger. I absolutely love this bike and after two years it puts a smile on my face every time I ride, can't ask for more than that. Do to the expense of production for Moots and the cost to the consumer there were less than 150 of these produced, very cool. Feel free to email me if you want to chat about Mootaineers: smglasbiker@hotmail.com. This bike has found a permanent home with me, if society and the economy all go south I will ride out of town on this bike forsaking all others...ok maybe towing my custom hard tail Cherry Bicycles Dear John on my Bob Trailer. The Dear John and I have a history, can't leave it behind.

Favorite Trail:   Any in Sedona, AZ

Purchased At:   The Bay

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer, Cannondale Super V, Santa Cruz Super light, Specialized FSR, Scalpel, Jekyll, Trek Fuel, Klein Mantra among others

Bike Setup:   08' XTR Dual Control, 180/160 Discs, Crossmax SL, Moots Riser Bar Stem and Post, Gobi Saddle, Tubeless Pythons, King, 09' Fox Talas RLC and RP23

Submitted by Ross Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2000

Strengths:    Everything.

Weaknesses:    Price,price,price,...

Bottom Line:
This bike is truly stupendous, but after reading all of the reviews before testing it, I expected to be more blown away than I was. Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that shooting the poodle is a very sensible option, just make sure you're not all that attached to dear old Schattzie. I felt similar performance out of bikes that were priced at $1000 less. Of course there wasn't the same drool factor, but the ride was just as good. Maybe you have to own one of these beauties to truly appreciate it. Anybody who does purchase one will most likely have a smile on their face for a good long while and feel perfectly justified sleeping in the garage while the Mootaineer gets the bed. That's just a lot of bones to fork over for a bike that isn't going to be ridden by a devoted racer. It's kind of like a Ferrari: everybody wants one, and it's a fantastic car, but there's a reason you don't see too many of them at the Sunday drags.

Favorite Trail:   Burma Peak

Submitted by Mark Ullmann a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2000

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Creaks/squeekes

Bottom Line:
I had one of the first off the line. I had it on order for well over a year, from the time they announced it. Awesome ride. The best ever, by far. I ride 3 times a week on technical terain. It has never let me down. Its fun, light, nimble, fast, fatigueless. But once it starts to creak you have to take the whole bike apart and redo (I get about 4 months after the first redo. When new I got about 8) or it will drive you crazy.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek

Purchased At:   Evolution Pro bike, Buckingham

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Zazbo, Canondale Super V

Bike Setup:   Rock Shock SID All Travel, Syncros Cranks, Gripshift.

Submitted by Hugh a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    1 year update
same as before.
alignment is perfect.

Weaknesses:    price/value is a very subjective concept, but the workmanship is outstanding here.

Bottom Line:
after almost 1 year and mucho gonzo abusive backcountry mtn miles on the Mootaineer, I still love this bike...transient annoying creaking did develop after 8 months or so, but was easily remedied by standard servicing (cleaning and regreasing pivot points and all bolt seats)...still the most awesome all around handling cross country true trails bike on the planet.

Similar Products Used:   lots and for many years

Bike Setup:   primo...may switch to z1xfly.

Submitted by Franklin a Cross Country Rider from Mountain town, Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Strengths:    Welds, innovation of the time (2 years ago)

Weaknesses:    Cost, Creaks, flex, complexity, lack of cartridge bearings and horst pivot

Bottom Line:
Bottom line...this bike will undoubtably impress the pants off of the posers in the parking lot of white ranch, but those same riders will quickly want to drop you beacase of two reasons...you probably suffer from some severe insecurities to have chosen this pricey of a ride, and they will want to run from what one friend of mine described as a bike that "sounded like he was being chased by a rabid chicken". Hats off to moots, with headphones on this bike rides nearly (but spongily) perfect, but the downsides ultimately outweigh the glam. With a few refinements, this bike could satisfy the sultan, but probably not forever. The Sultan will probably choose a less high maintanence (and lower cost) bride when it comes time to enjoy the long haul...beauty is simply not worth the screeching!

Favorite Trail:   horsethief

Similar Products Used:   you name it, Ellsworth, Sugar, NRS, Rocky, etc

Bike Setup:   full pimp

Submitted by Bud Merritt a Cross Country Rider from Milledgeville, Ga. USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Strengths:    1. function
2. form
3. welds

Weaknesses:    Limited warranty on Superlight version.

Bottom Line:
For years I've prided myself on being quite data oriented, i.e., "show me the numbers." Based on this I've bought several FS bikes primarily due to both good reviews in the press and reading a number of articulate MTBR.com folks debate the pros and cons of the various suspension designs. Not only did I buy them but also I RODE them -- even raced them. And never was I particularly disappointed -- Y2K brings us to a period replete with good FS bikes. But nagging away at me was my memory of the first Mootaineer that I saw several years ago on Moots web site and that I personally examined while in Steamboat Springs last summer. I discovered that I could suppress the memories by buying, building and racing a new frame -- for a while. Then like the phoenix it would rise again. But, alas, where's the data? I could find virtually no reviews and I could stimulate no debate at Techtalk regarding the Mootaineer. Am I going to spend this much money on something for which I have so little information? And does a ti FS frame even make sense Well as a favorite MTBR.COM poster, Mike T. told me "if you want it, if you have the money, and if mama says it's OK then go for it." And as one of the MTBR.COM gang who ain't getting any younger I did, indeed, go for it. Soooo after this ramble what is the bottom line? Amazing in a word. Suspension so smooth and progressive that I'm clueless as to how they pulled it off. What is this design? A three-bar linkage bike or what? Does the flex of the ti substitute for a dropout link? Beats me but, oh, does it ride. I’ll let the engineers figure it out. The initial travel turns gravel and stutter bumps into asphalt BUT it doesn't blow through on the big hits, the geometry of the small/medium is perfect for me, I can sprint and barely activate the shock, and I can adjust the travel of the shock in a design so clever that you have to see it to believe it. Yeah, I like it -- I like it a lot. Pretty strange to give 5 flaming dead horses for value to a bike that as built could retail for close to $6K but, hey, good ole boys in this neck of the woods have more than that in their four wheeler, not to mention their personal water craft, or the bass boat or the trailer – did I forget the truck?

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Werner network - Steamboat

Similar Products Used:   1. Proflex
2. Titus
3. Santa Cruz

Bike Setup:   Check out my homepage for the build specs

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Woostock, GA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2000

Strengths:    The build. The welds on this bike are way clean. Strong like bull.

Weaknesses:    The box it came in was stronger than any other as well, but I guess that would be the only weakness. We will see over time. Not a product but my checking account is a little weak right now.

Bottom Line:
WOW. This bike rocks. Yes I could have 2 bikes for what this cost, but neither would be built as good. Moots builds a very solid clean bike. It's a personal thing though as my wife digs her heckler and thinks this bike bobs too much on real steep stuff or standing.
She does agree that this bike rides and steers like it is wired in to your brain. See it! Clean it! Climbs anything you point it at. This is based on maybe 14 rides so I can't give this bike a full review. It's nice to have the lockout on the Float RC, but have yet to find a situation that I felt it was better to lock it out. It seems very durable. My local shop owner Mike P. at Cartecay River in Ellijay, GA ( THE ONLY PLACE YOU SHOULD BUY A MOOTS IN GA) has had his for a few years and the only complaint he has is that mine has the head Badge and Zerk fittings on the pivots. Zerks make lube chores a no brainer. Will pop back in for more detailed review when I've had a season on it.
At this point if you can do it and still make rent and car payment or your wife will not leave you as a result get one. Well if she leaves you let her have anything she wants except for this bike. Value rating is subjective. If you can afford it then value has nothing to do with it

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   First dualie have had ton of Hardtails, but no point in judging them against this.

Bike Setup:   Z2 A Bomb with Speed Spring travel kit, Race Face Post , stem, bars. King H/S Shimano Drivetrain

Submitted by wendell a Cross Country Rider from driggs, Idaho

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2000

Strengths:    construction, geometry

Bottom Line:
almost one year and 5000 or so miles later, and the honeymoon is not over...I love this bike! I am planning on disk brakes and new pivot bushings, outher than that I am running a 100mm Xfly up front, and it rocks...later!

Submitted by Rick Hillger a Please Select from Nantucket Mass USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2000

Strengths:    light, extremely well built, simplicity, ability to get you outside!

Weaknesses:    Bolts.

Bottom Line:
Well, I tell ya , if anyone had told me I would spend more money on a bicycle than on my Harley a couple of years ago, I would told them they were ----ing nuts! But, stranger things have happened I guess. Had a GT before (see reviews gt 2000) Can't even compare, production to hand built. Don't even try. Like I told the people that made this ride , "Thanxs for stopping the aging process". Set up as described, 24 lbs. extremley nimble,quick to react,predictable,(as much as one can when screaming) and it would seen undestructable. But ith a lifetime warrentee, who cares. Go nuts. Have at least 1000 miles off road on this machine with no failures, road time as well, no failures. The only drawback I have found, (and I look) is the bolts. Especially the lower pivot. Moisture does collect here,behind bolt head and such and the corrosion on the bolt makes for an ungodly noise untill you finally figure out to take the pivot apart. I figured it was something else, A cable, saddle or whatever, but just the corrision on the bolt was the problem. Well Moots sells a Ti bolt kit that would prob. solve that problem. Why have't I got one you ask? I got the bike don't I, Another year to save for the bolt kit! The bottem line, What an outstanding ride! Mountains of New Hampshire, Sands of Nantucket, Pines of Durango,goat heads of Utah, I've had this bike to all. Like the review above, shoot your poodle. It will be worth the wrath of your ole lady! (or man)

Favorite Trail:   still lots

Similar Products Used:   Gt-2000, Trek Y, and a few others.

Bike Setup:   fox shock, bam 80mm, paul brakes, Daves dream wheels,sram esp 9, xtr front, syncros ti bb, race face cranks&rings, monkey light low rise, thomson post, wtb saddle and pedals(stealth)

Submitted by Hugh a Cross-Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1999

Strengths:
light (superlight version @5#)smooth active 4 travel with fox rc impeccable handlingwork of art

Weaknesses:
mucho pesos

Bottom Line:
incredible balanced handling, lightweight, 4 travel xc mtn bike; yes, this is an ultimate backcountry machine; climbs as well as it descends. One should be in the finest Museum of Modern Art.

any good singletrack

3 months

lots

white bro scul92moots stem, post, barxtrking, mavic, dtrevo

Submitted by John Seydler a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, Texas

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
I was fortunate enough to meet the owner and founder of Moot's bicycles: Kent Eriksen at the 1999 Mercury Mountain Bike tour In Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Just after he finished racing Kent let me take his personal bike for a spin. This bicycle is magnificent! The best feeling FS I've ever ridden (and I love my GT XCR 3000). I didn't have enough time to run it through it's paces but I could tell right away that there was something special about it. This is a very well made bicycle. You should see the textbook perfect welds on this work of art. Forgive me. I'm wrong. I've never seen a weld this good in ANY textbook (or anywhere else for that matter). There is also something special about Kent and his team of bicycle builders. Even though it was fairly obvious that I was a novice (actually a beginner) none of the Moots people acted snobbish toward me or made me feel like I didn't belong. They were more than happy to answer my many (and sometimes stupid) questions. These folks are truly interested in helping people and advancing the sport. Thanks Kent!

Whatever I can find!

tested or demo'ed only

GT's XCR 3000, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, and a bunch of others.

Submitted by Wendell a Cross-Country Rider from Driggs, idaho

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1999

Strengths:
Light, plush or stiff, tunable, elegant

Weaknesses:
funky (but effective) cable routing

Bottom Line:
What can I say...this is the most sublimely amazing bike I have ever thrown a leg over. Stiff. Plush. Snappy. Light. Superlatives leave the description short. Get an insurance policy on your poodle, then kill it...then go buy this bike. Buy this Bike. Worth every penny...Life is short, and it is only stuff...get the best.

less than 1 month

Marin Mt. Vision, Kona

Fox Float Rc, marzocchi Z2 w/ superfly crown

Submitted by hate to wait... a Cross-Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1999

Strengths:
want to know

Bottom Line:
someone please review this bike objectively...mine is already paid for, but still i wait!

pole canyon