Mongoose 1999 D40R Full Suspension Bike

3.26/5 (66 Reviews)

Mongoose D40R

Submitted by Eric Moore a Weekend Warrior from NY,NY,USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is built like a tank and it accepts standard mtb parts. I went over the handle bars while riding down a NYC street and the bike was fine. (stock cranks and sprocket bent). Its heavy but I like that. I hated the front fork at first but put it back on later

Weaknesses:    Everything but the fork and frame. I rebuilt the bike from the bottom up.( Its about 20 pound lighter) RIms bent if you look at too them hard.

Bottom Line:
I ride both street and off road with this bike. When I first got it I needed to carry around every tool I had. Now a wrench, pliers and allen set do fine. Although I probably spent 3 times the bike amount on the rebuild it was cheaper then buying a new one. I know every inch of the bike and with this sturdy frame do not have to worry when I take a spill

Purchased At:   Bradleys

Similar Products Used:   had it since 2002 so I don't remember my previous bike

Bike Setup:   Steel cheapo rims. Can take a beating. Alvio rear Derailleur , Decore front Derailleur. Alvio cranks. Titanium chain, Sealed crank shaft. Shimano freewheel 7 gear sprocket. fenders. Aluminum extended seat pole. The rest are parts from old bikes or what I could get a deal on.

Submitted by fullmoon86 a Weekend Warrior from sacramento

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    The bike looks good and strong

Weaknesses:    Some parts needs to be upgraded for quality

Bottom Line:
From what i really think...about the bike. The bike is fine to me the set up is good enough for its price even though it might be a little bit heavier but thats still ok cause most Mongoose MTB are heavy. But what i really think is that some people take out wrong things about this bike. People seems to put the bike down and say bad stuff about it and leave behind bad comments about it. I think that is just all b*llsh*t. This is what people tend to do. They go out and buy a low end bike and force it to do the stuff that a high end bike would do. Like hardcore offroading or just beat the crap out of it and expect the bike to stand up to what they are putting it through. Of course an 300 hundred dollar bike and lower are made cheap and they know that deep in there mind but no they want to go cheap and save a couple of bucks in there pocket and buy the low end one. Do you guys understand the difference between abuse and taking care of it. Well let me explain.... if you abuse it, of course everyone will know that it wouldnt last at all. The expensive will but that means about 1000 buck for it and some people dont have that kind of money. Expensive one will last but also needs to be repair more often. Cheap bike will break apart! And if you abused the cheap one that means that bike goes bye bye. Well i do understand that mountain bike are made for offroading but dont be so harsh on it. What ever you pay thats what you get. I know every knows that term. Even though you buy a cheap bike if you take good care of it and put a little bit more time into it. That cheap bike will last forever. Like for example Toyota's now those crappy cars just last for ever. Well overall i think its not the bike its how your ride the bike. Every bike is made good and it also was tested good before it came out to the market. Every bike has its own purpose it up to you to find out with one is it. So last words just take good care of it guys and that bike will serve you well and have alot of fun with it for many long years to come....Thanks

Similar Products Used:   Hyper bikes

Bike Setup:   Its all fine...

Submitted by Dave S. a Weekend Warrior from Franklin, NH. USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    Solid frame design. Accepts current technology parts. Wheels okay for smooth trails and roads. BB set okay- mine was sealed. Very stable as set up.

Weaknesses:    Weight as-sold is a ground-crushing 41 lb! Components all garbage, especially crank/chainring set (heavy steel coated in plastic!!!) Stiff, heavy triple-crown fork barely moves except on huge hits. Handling slow and front end washes out too easily (raising fork tubes 1" in the triple clamps solves most of this). Underdamped shock bounces madly. Rear frame pivot a royal pain to disassemble for greasing. I plan to drill it and install zerk fittings to eliminate the aggravation!

Bottom Line:
These were being closed out cheap, so I bought one for a project. Used stock from '01 to '06, then overhauled. Bike was first major build I've done since '92 (did it in '07). An easy build, although stripping off the factory crap was inordinately hard. With the new components installed and dialed-in, it's a simple, highly functional trail bike. I ride on surfaced trails that get a lot of washouts and bumpy segments- it is absolutely perfect for this. It's stable, steers nicely and strength is never a concern! Cheapo RST shock works quite good (hard to adjust, though), and plush Rockshox Indy rides beautifully. Even with all the new lightweight parts, this bike is no lightweight (estimate 30 lb). If you know how to wrench on bikes and want to make your own bike for short bucks, FROM SCRATCH, here would be a great starting point. I enjoyed rebuilding mine. With that said, it cost me about five times the bike's sale price to make it into an enjoyable ride. If you want an inexpensive turnkey bike, look elsewhere!!

Favorite Trail:   Winnipesaukee River Trail

Purchased At:   Wally World!

Bike Setup:   Removed poison-yellow paint and stripped bike down to frame. Painted nice Ferrari red. Rebuilt w/Bontrager Maverick wheels, cheapo Schwinn center rib/chevron tires (that I love!!), Koski v-brakes, Shimano 8-speed pods, Shimano STX RC front crankset & chainrings, Shimano 8-speed cassette, Avid brake levers, Rockshox Indy XC fork, Ritchey Logic sealed roller bearing headset, RST shock, Bontrager riser bar & stem, Terry "prostate saver" saddle (yes I'm old), Promax seat post, Sram ESP derailleurs, Sram PC850 Powerchain, Shimano compressionless shifter cables, Jagwire brake cables, and Wellgo platforms.

Submitted by cameron from Sidney,Ohio North America

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    big open frame with e-brake legs for off road jumping

Bottom Line:
haven't really seen hardly any of these bikes matter of fact i can barrly find any thang info on these.

Purchased At:   my frind gave it to me,he got a free agent

Similar Products Used:   lot of dk's cinnattii,step-up,general lee
razor seige 180 (i like them both i did own)
gt comp

Bike Setup:   mostly dk parts/sun rims 14mm(both)back sealed. pro max brake system. sealed crank and thread less front end sealed. dk three piece chop stix.

Submitted by Nick Abruzzini a Downhiller from oakdale, CA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Strengths:    frame for sure (it's a beast) it looks cool, shocks are good for awhile.

Weaknesses:    gearing is not all that great (i downhill ride mostly, so no need for pedals or gears) the seat hurts, and the rims are a little weak( ibend them every time, carry a spare spoke wrench!!!)

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on it, it's worth to me about 150 bucks just for the frame because it makes the perfect inexpensive downhill bike!

Favorite Trail:   Half Moon Bay area

Purchased At:   yard sale

Similar Products Used:   I have a hardtail Giant Boulder SE with shimano shifters( i suggest these overall when replacing the mongoose's)

Bike Setup:   big yellow frame, black rims, black forks, and black rear set-up, double-crown for forks making it stronger

Submitted by AUGUSTUS BROWN a Cross Country Rider from CAMDEN,SC,USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    COLOR, GRAPHICS,NICE STRONG FRAME, AND SHIFTERS

Weaknesses:    DERAILERS, RIMS, CRANK, PEDALS

Bottom Line:
THIS WAS MY FIRST MOUNTAIN BIKE AND I HAD A LOT TO LEARN. THIS WAS A GOOD BIKE TO LEAR IT ON. AFTER REPLACING ALL COMPONENTS, I WAS VERY CONTENT WITH THIS RIDE. IT IS STILL ONE OF MY TRUSTED STEEDS, THAT I STILL LIKE TO RIDE OFTEN.

Favorite Trail:   ANY OFF ROAD

Purchased At:   WALMART

Similar Products Used:   D-60R

Bike Setup:   FROM GROUND UP REPLACED EVERY THING WITH ALIVEO PARTS.

Submitted by Aaron McGraw a Cross Country Rider from Oil City, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Strengths:    The front-half of the frame (nice aluminum with blue and white paint!) a REAL Diacompe Aheadset.

Weaknesses:    The back-half of the frame (gas-pipe hi-tensile steel) ALL components aside from the headset.

Bottom Line:
Okay, this is actually a Mongoose XR-150, which, in 2001, replaced the model listed here. Otherwise the XR-150 is a similar piece of crap, originally featuring a Shimano CO-50/ Tourney drivetrain. The stock crack is laughable with its stamped steel rings and riveted design. Tourney front mech is garbage. Shimano twisters (Revo) are junk...being Rapid-rise they are double junk. The CO-50 derailleur is rather nicely crafted, but weighs as much as 4 XT derailleurs (yes, I actually did upgrade to an XT derailleur!). Bottom line? The frame on this bike isn't bad. For someone who can only lay out a minimal amount of cash and isn't embarassed riding this bike as is....and plans to upgrade along the way....this bike is "just OK", really, there are better (cheapo) choices available on E-bay from Lance, Lake, and Tank cycles (they'll need upgraded, too--but the original frame materials are superior, plus there are some bonified "real" mountain bike components on these bikes). After ALL of the upgrading, I do really like this bike (my roomie absolutely loves it), but who wouldn't be okay with bike with these components? Bottom line? Even at this price range, there are better choices. Either save up for a better (bike shop) bike or hop on E-bay and buy an entry level rig from an importer (after some research...heck, e-mail me, if you want an opinion).

Favorite Trail:   Oil Creekk/ Allegheny/ Sugar Creek Trail System, Venango County

Purchased At:   The Evil Empire (Walmart)

Similar Products Used:   1988 Fuji Cadenza (hard tail), 1996 Royce Union Alumina (hard tail)

Bike Setup:   I replaced darn near everything. Manitou Magnum fork, Kore stem, Titec bars, Weinmann Rims, Formula hubs, Alivio brakes, SRAM 9.0SL levers, Sram MRX shifters, Nashbar cassette, Shimano BB, Truvativ crank with Syncros outer, LX middle, and stock (steel) Truvativ inner rings, Deore Front Mech., XT rear derailleur, Profile bar ends, Welgo Smootie DH spd-style pedals, Taya Relief chain, Mutanoraptor tires, DMT rear shock (this IS original), SDG Comp saddle, THE fenders, Kalloy seat post with alloy clamp, Lizard skins goodies.

Submitted by anil s a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    -shox
-strong frame
-light weight rims
-nice colors
-mongoose
-price

Weaknesses:    -rims arent very solid
-the worst drivetrain ever made on this world
-my grandmother can make a better drive train
-needs to go on a diet

Bottom Line:
its a good bike for a beginer and intermidiat biker. ok mabey it weighs abit but make it go on a diet please. the rims are good but please change em after two years

(ts very fat)

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   wal mart

Similar Products Used:   diamond back, schwin, kona, giant, equinox, gearshifers oh yea!

Bike Setup:   original + stuff

Submitted by Bill Thorton a Weekend Warrior from San Diago, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    The frame is really strong.

Weaknesses:    Heavy!!!! All original parts are junk.

Bottom Line:
The frame is great, though way too heavy. Every other part is junk. If most everything is replaced it is a very respectable bike. After spending 5 times the original cost on parts its a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Walmart

Bike Setup:   Fork is a dual crown Manitou X-vert, the crank is half Shimao, Mavic D541 rims, Shimano hubs, Orbit XL Headset, Azonic stem, The only thing original is the rear derailier (new one in the mail - the old one is junk), Mongoose race saddle

Submitted by Kyle (Kile) a Racer from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    Well....I have replaced everything that it came with originally except, front skewer,handlebar (dented) and brake levers (although they are in really bad shape from wrenching them back in place after being bent) Bike looks great.

Weaknesses:    Everything, no joke, replaced everything, my team still laughs at me form when parts would just randomly break on rides,I was suprised the bike hasn't started on fire yet, knock on wood. was glad to find out this frame accepts all current mountain bike parts, ended up putting over $2000 into it over 4 years (ugh). Crazy heavy.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a freeride bike before freeride was a term. This was a great starter bike for me (and possibly for you), I originally bought the bike to help me look for lost children as a lifeguard in MN. It turned to a regular weekend warrior trail bike. I now race the thing, and doing well. I learned everything I know about bikes from building it up and keeping it running, I am now the Mechanic for my mountain bike team. I am about to get my new bike I've been building up and running so I'll be hanging this one up. Even though I've grown attached to it I have to let it go because it is holding me back as a racer. Future trainer, probably. I have thought about putting a large travel shock in the back and taking it downhilling, just ot give it some action but I'll see....

Favorite Trail:   Austin TX is MTB Mecca

Purchased At:   Good `ol Wal-mart

Similar Products Used:   first and only MTB bike for 4 years

Bike Setup:   Here we go, Can you say Franken-bike? The bike has served me well for 4+ years, and now I race it. I got most of my parts for this bike from a 1997 Specialized FSR. Fork is a dual crown Manitou X-vert, canks are son of strongarm from the FSR as well as the complete 24 speed LX build. Thompson seatpost, really cool flamed yellow lightweight race saddle of unknown brand. Mavic D541 rims(unbreakable) XT hubs. STX RC V-brakes. What really looks cool is if you put the Hutchinson Python Gold tires on it gives it a really cool Euro look to it, thats when people start thinking you have a nice bike. I put this bike on a diet program the day I bought it, I got it down to a less than respectable but well improved 35 lbs. thats about 10 lbs less than when i bought it.

Submitted by Jason Hicks a Cross Country Rider from Viburnum, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Strengths:    I like the front and rear shocks.. smoothe ride, like the twist throtle style shifter, front derailer is working fine, tough frame.

Weaknesses:    The rear derailer is junk.. i have hardly rode the thing and i have went through two rear derailers, the rims arn't very tough at all. rear sprocket messed up.. used huffy parts to fix it..rear axle makes all kinds of racket.. needs better brake system.. they work good they just make for a hastle getting the tire off. seat is uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike hoping to make a good investment, and i thought i did for a little while, the bike will not last you at all if you are a rough rider.. i rode it pretty hard, muddy trails, through the woods..it just didn't hold up like i would have hoped it would have from a mongoose, but i think i kind of abused it. This bike would be a good buy if you were going to just do mild riding. IF YOU ARE A HARD RIDER you would have to have better wheels, derailers, and rearsprocket and axle.

Purchased At:   WAL-MART

Similar Products Used:   western flyer mt. bike

Bike Setup:   not sure

Submitted by Bryan McAlister a Downhiller from bountiful, UT

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2001

Strengths:    solid frame good pedals not a problem with them yet headset front and rear shock

Weaknesses:    everything except for what I have listed for strengths especally that mega range pile of $hit I mean come on shimano you can do better than that.

Bottom Line:
good for beginners but if you are like me and my 2 friends and have advanced to pro and race downhill and go out doing 10 foot hucks (drops for all you beginners) its not all that great I have gone through about 6 sets of rims which really sucks because I am sick of adjusting rims cause of the stupid v-brakes. If there were disk mounts I would definently have Hays Hydrolic. So in other words if you arent a beginner do not get this bike unless you are some rich guy who wants to go throw somthing off of a cliff go for it.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley

Purchased At:   good old Walmart

Similar Products Used:   a rock

Bike Setup:   taperd handlebars, shimano components, rockshox Judy SL front, rst rear

Submitted by Bogdan B a Weekend Warrior from Philly, PA, US

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Good value, decent quality overal, nice looks ;-)

Weaknesses:    heavy, seat, tires (traction&weight)

Bottom Line:
Good value for beginners, easy to update, good looks, heavy uphill, weak rims, weak shifters. Shifters should be updated next; I have 1500 miles on it though ;-)
Did't do much trails, so I trued the rims only once.
You need something else to go on the trails though, the suspensions are not good enough, as even the manufacturer warns the buyer. It's good for off road tough, and comfortable in the city. Breaks are great once you update the tires so they skid less ;-)

Favorite Trail:   Fairmount Park

Purchased At:   Wal Mart

Similar Products Used:   this is my first MTB

Bike Setup:   updated the seat/seat post (Nashbar/Profile), changed rear tire to Specialized Ground Zero, Cateye computer, added a rear fender, changer the pedals to Specialized (metal) (total value now is $210)

Submitted by lee hammock a Cross Country Rider from Eatonton, Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    brakes, rear shox

Weaknesses:    rear deraillur, front shox stopped working after 4 months

Bottom Line:
good bike for beginners. mine has gone through a lot of sh#t since i bought it. its been stepped on by a horse, wrecked at least 40 times, and has been flipped 5 times. over all a tough bike.

Favorite Trail:   my privately owned 4 mi trail