Marin 2001 East Peak F.R.S. Full Suspension Bike

Submitted by Jeff from Kitimat, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    The twin monocoque frame is the same from the East Peak to the Mount Vision Pro model, great foundation to build on. Bike is unique design, turns heads as it is different from everyone else. Hardly any bob for a FS bike. Marin is a quality brand and is highly under rated. This is my second one, my first is 10 years old and still running strong. Never had a problem with anything.

Weaknesses:    The IRC tires are crappy but a few $$$ changed that problem for me. Most of the components are low end and ovation parts are Marin's answer to building a bike that is affordable to anyone. They work fine but don't hold up to serious riding and lots of miles. Most wore out fairly quickly.

Bottom Line:
This was my first full suspension bike and I'll never go back. I was a bit unsure at first but after getting used to the way this thing handles on the trail it kicks ass. I got a good enough deal from the start to be able to justify upgrading the parts the way I did. If you don't get a good deal buying this bike you might want to consider going to a higher model as the upgrade costs will run you up to the Mount Vision price range. I got this one for a grand off as it was brand new but the previous year's old stock. Paid $1500 Canadian for it and went to town on the upgrades.
I love this bike and will never give it up until they pry it out of my cold, dead hands at the base of a cliff. It handles like a dream. It climbs like a mountain goat, I mean it is a great climber due to the light weight. Before any upgrades were done it weighed in at 26 or 27lbs. With all the race parts I put on it is probably less than that now.
This is a strong workhorse of a bike and won't let you down in any way. Great for a beginner, great platform to upgrade on right up through the ranks. I can't say enough good about this bike. If you shop around it is a great value for the $$$ and stands up to all the more popular name brands with ease.
With 4" of rear travel and my upgrade to 4" of front travel it stands up to any drops "within reason". I weigh 190 lbs and haven't even come close to bottoming it out. You'd have to hammer it real hard to do so and if you hit a drop that hard with this bike you are probably using the wrong equipment so smarten up and get a parachute before you hurt yourself you crazy kid.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt, rocks and trees

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike City, Calgary, Alberta

Similar Products Used:   Rode some Kona's, Rockey's and and a GT. Nothing came close to the feel that this bike had for me.

Bike Setup:   Stayed with the stock twin monocoque frame, obviously. Kept the Fox float rear shock as it works great. Upgraded everything else and I believe I now have a better ride than the Mount Vision Pro for about $1500 to $2000 less than the cost of the M.V.P. in Canadian funds. Marzocchi Z-3 100 front fork, XTR v-brakes, shifter/levers, front and rear deraileurs and cassette, Race Face Turbine Crank with bottom bracket and chain rings, Race Face seat post, stem, riser bar and headset. Salle Italia XO XO saddle and Salsa skewers and seat clamp, Stayed with the stock Mavic wheels for now with Tioga skins(much better than the IRC). Upside to all the upgrades was that I was able to use most of the parts on my old Marin hardtail to update the parts on it so they didn't go to waste. Anything that was too wore out got tossed or tore apart for salvage.

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Tucson AZ

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Strengths:    Great, light, stiff, well-designed, strong frame. Good rear Fox float.

Weaknesses:    Entire drivetrain wore out in under a year, the Mavic 139 rims bent, the Manitou SX-E is a little weak, derailurers are weak too

Bottom Line:
This is a great starter bike for someone getting into the sport an doesn't want to upgrade the frame anytime soon.

That in mind, this is a great bike if you want to upgrade nearly everything else. The components are low end, which is ironic for a bike with such a great frame. If you're not going to do any hard riding in on this bike, you'll extend the time you have on the drive train. If you actually use this bike for what's it's intended you'll burn through the drive train and other components quickly.

When you do upgrade the components to "legitimate" grade, you'll find you have a great bike that performs at competition level.

What's particularly good is the rear suspension design. It isn't as good as FSR, but still works well for eliminating bob and chain slack on bumps.

Overall, this is a good entry-level full suspension bike for those looking to get into mountain biking. If you realize mountain biking is for you, then you’ll wear out the parts and upgrade to get a really sweet bike -- one like I have now.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Older Specialized hardtail, Elsworth AEON, GT I-Drive

Bike Setup:   Marin FS Frame, Marzocchi Marathon 100, Raceface Crankset/Stem, Sram 9.0/7.0, Mavic 221 Rims, Selle Italia

Submitted by Boodie Daher a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Strengths:    Beautiful design. Makes every stop to admire the design.Lots of room for upgrades.Light for a full suspension.Climbs like a hardtail. I like the fact that the frame is the same throughout the whole line up for the frame design. The only differences are the components. I like this because I have an awesome frame that is a 6061 monocoque aluminum frame. I can basically build the bike to my liking. Five year warranty on the frame and ten years on the bearings in the pivots. This is my third Marin, and I have always been happy with them.

Weaknesses:    IRC tires suck. Most components.

Bottom Line:
For someone looking for thier first F.S. I highly recommend this bike. The components aren't the greatest but the frame is a solid foundation to build on. It is light. I like the fact that it is so different than most of the bikes around here. Everyone I've seen rides Specialized, Rocky Mountain, or Norco.
You have got to ride it to understand. I think Marin is very under rated which is a good thing because if they were highly rated, then the price would be high too.

If you are in the market for a F.S then check out this bike. Like I said, this frame compared to the Mount Vision Pro is the same, the only difference is the components. Most companies change the frame design according to the amount of money they want for the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Goes

Purchased At:   Award Sports

Similar Products Used:   tried some Gt's, Specialized, Rocky Mountains and Norco's.

Bike Setup:   Manitou SX-E Forks, Fox Float in the rear. Shimano XT rear derailleur, Mavic 139 rims(very weak), everything else is Shimano or Alivio.