Marin 2000 Mount Vision Full Suspension Bike

• Ovation 6000 Series Aluminum Double Butted, Mega DT w/New Light Weight Alloy Swingarm
  • Manitou Mars C Fork w/80mm Travel
  • Fox Float R Rear Shock
  • Avid SD-25 Brakes
  • Mavic X-225 32 Hole Rims
  • IRC Notos XC Tires w/Kevlar Bead

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    It's the nuts! Everything!

Weaknesses:    Nothing...

Bottom Line:
    Got this as an ex-demo. It is just brilliant.

Purchased At:   Julies Cycles

Similar Products Used:   GT Bravado

Bike Setup:   As it came, but with a raceface XY seatpost...mmm

Submitted by Boo Littlewood from Reading

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Strengths:    Everything, light weight, components, folk & shock, looks, handling,

Weaknesses:    Me riding it badl

Bottom Line:
    Excellent piece of kit, good for XC long days, better than
    my old hardtail for freeriding. Well worth the money.

Climbs very well and digs in when its needed. Downhill its
    pure fun fun fun.

Covers ground very quickly (or is ot just new bike legs?)

Favorite Trail:   Corriearick Pass, Oxford ways

Purchased At:   Behind Bars,Abingdon, Oxford

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Gary Fisher Sugar, Scott

Bike Setup:   As sold - shocks set very fast on rebound - Keeps me riding quickly

Submitted by insanegman a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Light-weight! Adjustable rebound damping! Great frame design!

Weaknesses:    No disc brakes, not even disc hubs.

Bottom Line:
    I got this bike after riding a completely rigid bike for a long time. It took me a while to get used to it and after many endos I finally got the hang of it. This bike has made me a better rider because it begs to be pushed to the limit. This bike performs best when going fast. When going slow one needs to slow down the rebound damping on the suspension and hone their balance. I used to be a straight-up old-school XC rider but now I enjoy more of the freeride stuff simply because the bike likes it! This bike handles 5-foot drops with my 6' 180lb ass on it! I wouldn't mind a stiffer fork with more travel but that will have to be part of the joy of upgrading.
    To make a long story short - this is a great cross-country full-suspension bike, with some modifications it can be a good freeride bike as well. If you want to do truly hardcore freeriding (>6' drops) or major downhilling you probably want a bike with disc brakes, more travel and strength (and weight). But for most people this bike can take you past where you're willing to go.

Favorite Trail:   Bow Ridge - Lynn Woods

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR XC; Gary Fischer Sugars; various others that I can't remember right now.

Bike Setup:   SID XC 80mm up front. Tossed the straight bar for an Easton Monkeybar riser. Miss the bar-ends though. Tossed the skinny tires for Michelin Hot S 2.1's. Tacoed the rear rim so I replaced it with a Mavic F519 with straight-gauge spokes.

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Sheffield, Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    Very good climber, I was impessed the first time I rode this bike on a technical climb with the way the back wheel can get traction on any surface. Not too bad on the downs either. Nice & easy to maintain, pivot gave no trouble over a winter of horrible conditions, Fox shock works well, easy to service too.

Weaknesses:    Could do with four inchs of travel up front as well to even things out a bit. Try Pace Evos/Evo II's huge improvement!! Tyre clearance when removing wheel is poor but can get used to it.

Bottom Line:
    Absolutly bl**dy lovely!! best trail bike I've ever ridden. Comfy for long rides over rough ground. Could even be raced XC with lighter wheels. All XT kit works beautifully in all conditions, only problem is position of bottle mounts and carrying the thing, frame design prevents shouldering the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hope Valley, Peak District.

Purchased At:   Ozone Cycles, Sheffield

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V 1000 sl [1998]

Bike Setup:   90mm stem [origional is 120mm] & XC riser bar sharpen up the handling for single track and still let it climb nicely. Shimano SPD with cages for more support. Bigger tyres for winter!!

Submitted by david a Weekend Warrior from Essex England

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Strengths:    Great balance between climbing and smoothing out the downhills. Great over a particulary nasty down hill with tree roots crossing the descent. Climbs very well compared to a friends GT. Doesn't seem to sap the pedal effort as some FS bikes do. Brakes are good although they do go off in wet muddy conditions where a disc set up would be better.

Weaknesses:    Front brake rubs when climbing hard, probably flex in the forks.
    Stickers fall off.

Bottom Line:
    The best all round user friendly FS bike I have tried.
    Happy to be riden all day or just stunting around jumping things and crashing a lot.
    Hasn't broken yet and I am particularly heavy for this sport. Good for a beginner or pro alike.
    Very good deal to buy a year old bike paid £1200 for mine. Result!

Favorite Trail:   Danbury Common

Purchased At:   Charing Cross London

Similar Products Used:   First FS.

Bike Setup:   Standard with high rise down hill bars (6 foot 2" makes the standard a bit cramped).
    Rear shock pumped up hard due to weighing 211 pounds.

Submitted by Cam Whiting a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Strengths:    Well balanced, thoughtfully spec'd, climbs brilliantly. Makes a newcomer to mountain biking feel right at home.

Bottom Line:
    Coming from a road racing background, my technical skills are still not as good as I would like, but I don't make my expert riding friends wait too long at the bottom of the trail. This bike could potentially make very technical tracks possible for an average rider, if set up correctly from the beginning. The pivot placement seems to strike a great balance for climbing (very little bob) and fast, knarly descents. Stock running gear is more than sufficient. I would recommend the Mt Vision for anyone who wants maximum fun for their hard-earned dollar.

Favorite Trail:   Still too many to try...

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Many road bikes (sorry)

Bike Setup:   Stock with Roox riser bars and Keywin D/H pedals

Submitted by Matt Savage a Cross Country Rider from Northampton UK

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2000

Strengths:    Very light weight. Smooth and plush. Drop dead gorgeous looks!!!!

Weaknesses:    IRC Notos Tyres, Tight clearance on fork.

Bottom Line:
    I've had this bike now for 6-7 months and it's now seen the best that the UK conditions can throw at it, so I think it's reasonable to give an initial verdict on it.

Wow!

Before buying this I'd been riding a 98 GT Backwoods that I'd specc'd up to a good standard (XT, Mavics, Manitou Fork). It was a good bike but after a long day in the saddle you knew about it! Time to take the FS plunge then. Of all the bike I looked at it came down to a choice of 3; The Marin, The Sub 5 or The Stumpy. There was very little to choose between the 3 but going on the principle that 3/4 of the bikers in my club ride Marins I knew they must be doing something OK!

What a differance. I was no longer wheezing away at the back after a 30 miler through the Northamptonshire bogs. Cycling was an effortless joy. Anything greater than 1 inch was being bunny hopped. Rocky downhills were being taken at speed considered suicidal before. Control was perfectly balanced thanks to two smooth, fluid shocks, braking was sharp thanks to the ever excellent Avids, shifting was perfect as should be expected from a complete XT drivtrain.
    A fantastic bike, with only 2 minor gripes....

1. IRC tyres.... Everyone in our club who uses IRC tyres flats every ride. Michelin, Contis, Geax never a problem. This may be conicidence but in the 2 years I had the GT I flatted once, I flatted twice in the first month of using IRC.

2. There is very little clearance between the tyres and brake pads when removing the tyres which must damage the tyre. This are easy to solve... Fit a Pace fork at the dealer or fit a Hope 2 pot disc at the front.

Favorite Trail:   Peak District or Avebury

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes Daventry

Similar Products Used:   Looked at Specialised Stumpt FSR XC, Orange Sub 5, Orange MrXC also briefly looked at Trek VRX 300, Cannondale V500

Bike Setup:   As standard except for Orange Kevlar saddle, Cobtinental Traction Pro tyres (with the smashing Jaffa orangy bit in the middle!)

Submitted by Jeff Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, Illinoois, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Strengths:    No clear-coat over the decals--it's a stealthy polished aluminum dream machine. XT drive train. SID XC. Weight (around 25lb). Climbs like a, how should we say, raped ape. Descends like a pillow-lined roller coaster. Rides like a Cadillac without the slop. Handles great stock, even better with riser bars. I could go on!

Weaknesses:    Well, cost? But any full susser with all XT costs at least this much. Oh, I remember! No disc-brake ready XT hubs. I was a little disappointed about that one. Flat bar maybe. And the INTEGRATED shifters and brake levers. Come on Shimano, or maybe come on Marin for choosing that route, since separates were available.

Bottom Line:
    Damn. Every time I ride this thing I fall more deeply for it. I don't have any problems with bobbing, but I have a pretty efficient (round) stroke as it is. It might move a little more than the linkage bikes if one is a push-only pedaler.

The lack of disc-compatible hubs on a bike of this price and caliber was the only bummer. Now I have to do the new wheel dance--mucho money. Good thing the V-brakes work well.

I'd never had any Rock Shox until now--only Manitou. Initially I was bummed about the re-spec to the SID XC. That is until I rode it. It flexes a bit, but then I'm 180 lbs. After the break-in period I rarely have to add air. I was worried for the first month or so because I had to add 10-15 lbs every few days. The same goes for the Fox Vanilla R. IRC Notos tires are great. The wheels are pretty light and durable.

The frame rocks. Pretty much flex-free. No hassle in terms of maintenance. Great suspension. Looks like a silver praying mantis.

The 2001s are even lighter with the new monocoque design--saw 'em at Interbike this year. Stunning.

This bike should get WAY more press. Everyone I knows who tries mine wants it, NOW!

Favorite Trail:   Mr.. Toad's Wild Ride

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Rapid Transit (Chicago)

Similar Products Used:   FSR-XC. Rocky Mountain Spice. ProFlex / K2

Bike Setup:   All stock except for the Bontrager Rizer bars. They ain't Monkey lites, but they were $22.

Submitted by Alexander Repenning a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    Well designed frame, and suspension. Almost perfect quality/price components

Weaknesses:    trivial issues: stickers come off, water bottle mount: only one and badly positioned: reduces stand-over clearance significantly (you will need some water backpack deal)

Bottom Line:
    Fantastic bike: rigid frame, great suspension, great components => all you need for some great XC riding. Marin has done a great job in finding some of the best components for the money.

Despite plush 4" of travel in the back I have not noticed ANY bobbing. There is no need for lockout on this bike.

Front suspension: the 2000 model comes now with SID XC 00 which feel better than the Mars (also I heard about some serious problems of the Mars fork). However, the SID is about $250!! cheaper than the Mars. No need to complain about the fork but these savings should be passed onto the buyer. I did get a discount.

Another snag which has more todo with RockShox than Marin. The XC fork can be adjusted (a lot of work) to 80mm but seems to be set to 63mm per default. hmmmm... anybody sharing this experience?

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, Trek V?400, Scott Octane

Bike Setup:   re-speced: RS SID XC 00

Submitted by James Wilson a Downhiller from Santa Barbara CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    Stocked with an XT drive train and Manitou Mars-C forks, weight (it's barely heavier than my hardtail), climbs like a goat, descends like a dream and just all-around handles great

Weaknesses:    Would have preferred a coil over oil shock due to the gnarliness of the local trails, but the stock one seems to be working fine.

Bottom Line:
    I shopped and compared just about every other bike I could in this price range (I got it for a little under $2200 out the door) and came back to my original choice. I can't for the life of me figure out why Marin doesn't get more press. A full suspension bike with 80mm of front travel and 4+ in the rear at a weight of under 25 pounds? Sounds too good to be true, but it isn't.

Let's just put it this way - I took this bad boy out for it's virgin run on a trail that had just literally blew up my hard tail. There's a 45 minute climb up a fire road to get to the steep, super rocky single track downhill section. My bike climbed great, with no absolutely noticable loss of power from the shock. Once at the top, not only did I cruise down the trail faster and smoother than ever before, I made it through the one spot that I always a little trouble with like is wasn't even there. It was almost too easy (famous last words). This bike made me a better rider the first time on it.

Shop around but if you're serious about riding and having a ton of fun while doing it then this bike is the one. Well worth the investment.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel Trail

Similar Products Used:   Marin Nail Trail, Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock everything except pedals (put Shimano DX on it) and tires (put some Ritchey ZMax 2.1 for better traction on the loose dirt around here)

Submitted by Tom Fioretti a Weekend Warrior from Frederick,Md.,USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    Easy set-up, Full XT, Great climber, Stand-over height, Price, Simple design, low maintenance, Plush fork (Mars C)

Weaknesses:    Swoopy steering, Cable routing, VP pedals, Tires (IRC Notos supplied just didn't hold the trail)

Bottom Line:
    Love this bike. Excellent traction on climbs, easy to control on downhill. Took a while to get used to the steering. Bike wants to turn harder/faster. Once I got used to this I can take sections faster than before. For the price, full XT, handling, and a suspension that delivers on the promise, you can't beat this bike. If you are considering a FS bike, try lots of different bikes but buy this one.

Favorite Trail:   Gambril or Shaefer

Similar Products Used:   Trek VRX, Sugar 2

Bike Setup:   Stock except Time pedals and Wildgrippers

Submitted by Dan Mullaney a Weekend Warrior from Alamogordo, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    Good weight for a full suspension, no immediate need to upgrade spec'ed components. Had a SID XC substituted by Marin for the Mars C due to Mars problems?

Weaknesses:    Cruddy cable routing, seems like alot of FS bikes have this
    problem around the shock.

Bottom Line:
    Maybe its the wider bar, maybe my unfamiliarity with a full
    suspension, maybe my SID isn't set up quite right, etc. but
    this bike is a handful to turn at slow speed.

On the plus side it feels like I'm gliding along, it climbs great, descents are faster.

In short I already love this bike, I've even named it ...
    Mo-Mo-Ma! The name says it all!

Favorite Trail:   Chutes & Ladders, Fruita CO

Similar Products Used:   '88 DB Ascent (rigid),'90 Stumpjumper (rigid), '98 Nail Trial Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Factory substituted SID XC & Race face air alloy riser (my sub)

Submitted by don johnson a Cross Country Rider from novato ca. usa

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2000

Strengths:    simple frame design, light weight, stand over height, active suspension

Weaknesses:    too many decals,easy to remove on a hot day.

Bottom Line:
    great cross country bike, light weight 24.5 lbs. ACTIVE SIMPLE SUSPENSION THAT WORKS

Favorite Trail:   china camp