Litespeed 1999 Tsali Full Suspension Bike

4.96/5 (23 Reviews)

1999 Litespeed Tsali, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by tsali tsali a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2000

Strengths:    Well what can i say this bike Smokes!!!!!!!! i have an awesome setup too and with this frame this is by far the best bike i have ever owned.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is that my rear suspension is not adjusted completely right and i need someone who knows litespeeds to help me out!!!!! please email me at ski2rule@aol.com if you can help me

Bottom Line:
well all i have to say is that this bike is bomb proof! I took it DHin, freeriding and even racing. I put some really strong components on it because i knew that for this price i would need a bike to be able to tackle everything.
Well even though the price was crazy i was able to buy this bike from a guy who barely used it and pretty much was his baby and he never used it. I changed it around for a XC racer to a Freeriding machine. Well trust me BUY THIS BIKE. Once you try it you will never go back to Aluminum.
Well Ride on and this bike deserves 300 chilis but i guess i can only give it 5

easton monkeylite and CT2
Marzocchi Z1 X-fly

Submitted by Chris Huskinson a Cross Country Rider from Rexburg, Idaho USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    Immaculate welds,very light for a "full suspension", stable at all speeds, FUN to ride!

Weaknesses:    Rear shock squeeked like the cat was in the dryer again.....seems the company failed to grease it properly (easy fix though!), decals chip

Bottom Line:
The first week I had the bike it was difficult to adjust to after riding hardtails my whole life. At first the ride seems a little "plush" until you get the feel of it and get everything dialed in. The bike excells on the decends and is rightfully stiff on the climbs. On tight twisty singletrack I've found I have to lower my center of gravity more than in the past to experience the damping ride, but worth it. The more I ride the more I enjoy it. Well worth every penny (a whole lot of 'em!) Weight is down to 22 pounds....those who should buy it? Those who enjoy the best there is and value a quality product.

Favorite Trail:   Adams Gulch in Sun Valley

Similar Products Used:   Klein, Trek

Bike Setup:   All XT with Rockshock SID SL, Rolf wheelset, Ritchy tires

Submitted by tim a Cross Country Rider from boulder co

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2000

Strengths:    Climbing, going hard, long ride comfort, weight...you name it

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
I reviewd this bike 11 months ago. Since then I raced it in an enduro event in Wyoming and have ridden it hard all over. I got a proper position setup thanks to Ron Keifel @ Wheat Ridge Cyclery. If you are riding a bike like this make sure you have your psoition dialed in cuz mine was not and now it is much better, more balanced, better climbing etc.

I love it. It feels like a road bike on my dirt road washboard route. It descends scary fast yet is very stable at speed. It climbs like crazy, accelerates very well.

There is no slop in the rear shock that I can feel while riding and no loss of climbing power.

The shock in the rear helps me keep a smooth pedal cadence as I blast over rocks and washboards or logs or dogs or curbs. Very nice. As an old roadie I sure appreciate this ability to keep my legs spinning in a smooth and efficient manner, especailly over a long enduro course or out on long training rides.

It sprints well too.

It is worth every penny that it costs!

I'm off my skis after an awesome fun year and back into my enduro training and it is so fun to go out and ride this thing.

Favorite Trail:   fraser valley

Similar Products Used:   A steel team marin. It's not that similar at all actually. Both are bikes I suppose

Bike Setup:   MavicCross Link wheels, XT/XTR, Chris King hs, grip shift

Submitted by Trace Stanger a Racer from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Strengths:    Ride, Strength, Looks

Weaknesses:    Paint tends to chip easy and decals are not the best.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to finally get on some dry off-road conditions before reviewing this bike. It flys! The frame is extremely stable at high speeds and turns like a snake in the hairpin switch backs. I kept changing out the rear spring until I found the one for me. I am 170 and went with the yellow (firm) setup and love the way it shaves off the hard hits and keeps you in the saddle. On my way home tonight from the canyons in SLC, UT hit 52 MPH and it was sooo solid. Five flaming podiums for this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Amasa Back, Moab

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M2

Bike Setup:   Polo Sport RLX Team Issue--Full XTR, Ti Syncros seat post, Selle Italia Team Saddle, Rock Shox SID Race, Mavic CrossMax wheels, Panaracer 2.1 XC Fire

Submitted by exotec a Cross-Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff B.B.

Weaknesses:
nearest cable stop to rear D poor alignment with D

Bottom Line:
This is a dream frame. Riding this thing is simply dreamy. So if you are concerned about $$$$ don't buy it but if you do anyway don't base reviews on $$$$. This frame deserves all the chilli's availabe. Great climber, descender, and techie manueverablilty

Yep

yep it's set-up

Submitted by shreddr a Racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Strengths:
beautiful craftsmanship,

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I sold off my collection, dualies, hardtails, singlespeeds, you name it. THIS BIKE RULES!!!!! If Litespeed tops this one then there will be some very happy riders/racers out there. Check out the POLO race team, they are on Tsali's, I would give this thing 10 chilis if I could! Buy it, Ride it, Love it, Live it!!

allamuchy

tried everything, FS HT, and everything in between

SC92UL, Hayes Discs, Race Cranks & BB, Cross Max Discs, Litepseed stem, bars and post, WTB saddle, XTR der's

Submitted by Mike Alstatt a Racer from mesquite

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
down tube,quality welds,ride

Weaknesses:
decals sucked

Bottom Line:
this is a nicely made frame.great design ,great ride.feels awesome on fast trails with small bumps.the bb is stiff,most people will have no flex.I do get a little bb flex but I am a 230 pound monster.the stancion tube did wear off the titanium nitrite coating in only 4 months,Litespeed has been pretty good about remedying things.Overall very good.I did notice very small actual travel,only about 8 mm after sag.I have the very stiff set-up.Perfect bike when money is no object,and you are looking for a happy medium between ht and fs

Big Bend State Ranch

kona fs
dean steel

Marz atom bomb,magura brakes,race face crank,stem,seat post,white hubs,king headset, all other bikes are inferior to this one

Submitted by CHASM a Weekend Warrior from Belleville

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight at 23lbs, fast, stiff, with enough suspension to take the edge off.

Weaknesses:
Bike is great...cost to get it is HORRIFIC!!

Bottom Line:
Had Canondale SV2000. Liked rear susp for confort but suffered with weight and rear susp action in climbs. TSALI has it all....climbs like my old hardtails, enough rear susp to take the edge off rough trails, and likes to go really fast. Unfortunately, you have to pay the price to get it all. Nothing but smiles on every ride. Five Hot chili's for this one.

Merlin, Moots, Specialized, Trek

White Industries SC72UL, Kore Elite Stem and bar, XTR Brakes and Crank, Chris King, Racelites w/King Hubs, SRAM 9SL rear and XTR front derailleur, SP Frog pedals.

Submitted by TBONE a Cross-Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1999

Strengths:
Durability, weight, absorption/comfort, handling, styling, and the natural brush finish that looks hot with all colors

Weaknesses:
Decals not too durable (I had to find something)

Bottom Line:
This rig smokes!!! Be it uphill, downhill, technical or fire road. Easy to control, absorbs rough terain, and nuke proof.

Anything going up

Spec FSR, Merlin, Ibis

Full XTR, Chris King HS, Kore Elite seat/stem, Litespeed Bar, Cane Creek Rims/Hubs, Time Atac Carbons, RShox Sid SL

Submitted by Owl Hollow a Racer from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Strengths:
Solid bulid, Fine finishing, Feedback of a hardtail plushness of a Full sus.

Weaknesses:
Nil

Bottom Line:
This bike gives the impression of a hardtail. It does not produce the bobbing of a HT on out of saddle action and long straight climbs. Down hill trail absorbtion is fantastic. It is fast and aggressive!

Trek 9800, Klein Mantra, Moots HT

Full xtr, Chris king Headset, Kore elite stem, Thospson elite seatpost, Selle italia flite saddle, time atac carbon paddles, Mavic crossmax, Rock shox Sid

Submitted by Robert a Cross-Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Plush ride, Climbing, Bomb proof frame

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
This bike is basically bombproof. It handles well on single trek and technicals. The pivotless rear provides for excellent absorbtion of trail blemishes. Excellent climber, handles like a har tail with more traction due to rear sus kicking in. Amazing two inch down tube makes this bike stifff enough for those hooked on HTs. Handles the downhills with full sus dexterity. Five stars fir this baby!

Gt, gary fisher

Grip shift 9..0, Xtr V brakes, Chris king, Kore elite stem, Selleitalia saddle, titec seat post, easton c2 handle bar, cook bros cranks, time atac carbon pedals, crossmax rims

Submitted by Tsali a Racer from tennessee

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Everything

Weaknesses:
nothing i can think of

Bottom Line:
My ovalised 2 inch down tubes gives me the stiffness i want. The pivotless 1 inchsuspension never, repeat never ever bottoms out. I am bomb proof. 6-4 tubing mixed with 3-2.5. Try to beat that for you titanium buffs. I give my self 5 stars

Tsali

anything litespeed

sid xc

Submitted by Bret a Cross-Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1999

Strengths:
Forgiving ride with no loss in power due to flex. Incredible handling on tight fast singletrack. just shoot and hammer!!

Weaknesses:
My inability to take the bike to the speeds that it wants to go!!
(But I'm working on that)

Bottom Line:
This bike talks Faster, Faster, Faster It encourages nothing but speed in every and any section of a trail. Money is nothing life is everything. This bike puts life in a new perspective. ride, ride some more, don't ever stop riding.

less than 1 month

Cannondale S-V, K2 HT ,Trek HT,

XTR,Judy SL w/Englund,

Submitted by youngspeed a Racer from california

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Strengths:
Plush ride, nice details, bombproof frame

Weaknesses:
Costs a bomb, and decals could be more hardy.

Bottom Line:
The tsali represents the ultimate in soft tails. Frame flex is forgiving due to its ovalized 2 inch down tube. An excellent climber with very reactive feel(properties of titanium). On the straight aways, wash boards, and downhills, rides with ultimate plushness. Lightere riders might find little flex in the coil springs though. This bike will never bottom out. Rides on rails and handles the technicals with pleasure. Have to give it 5 chilis!!!

bkt

less than 1 month

moots ybb, trek 8900, litespeed tellico, merlin echo.

rock shock sid xc

Submitted by Nathan Fong a Weekend Warrior from Cheraw, SC

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
Perfect blend between full suspension & front suspension.

Weaknesses:
zip, zero, nil, n/a, etc......

Bottom Line:
Being a short 5'-5 tall guy, trying to find a great full/soft-tail bike was almost impossible. All the bikes that stated that they were small were 16 or BIGGER - talk about not able to clear your privates. Most of the bikes I tried never felt right or ride correctly, some dumb salepersons even tried to convince me that the bike is right for me, YEA RIGHT! - - One day I tried the new Tsali. One word --- WOW!!!! I loved it the minute I slung my legs over the top tube. It felt right from the begining. Yea I know it is not as plush as a full suspension, but I feel that the rider needs some type of feedback from the trail. Anyways, the bike tracks true, the new downtube design & material makes flex almost non-exsistant. I just love the thing.
Plus with the stuff from my old bike (ol' Cannondal Delta V-700) the bike is just over 22 pounds. I mainly ride single track & fire roads, this is were this bike really shines over all other soft-tails and full-suspensions. I cannot wait until the next time I can take my bike out.
So until you hit a tree or a rock, happy MtB'ing.

everywhere

3 months

Moots, and almost every other type of full suspension.

Tsali w/ XT groupo & SID SL. Switched out the following items from my previous ride: Sweetwing cranks, Speedplay Frog pedals, Titec Ti-handlebars, & Synco Ti-Seatpost.