Kona 1999 Stinky Dee-Lux Full Suspension Bike

4.42/5 (24 Reviews)

1999 Kona Stinky Dee-Lux, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore XT/XTR components, Marzocchi Jr. T, 5.0" travel fork

Submitted by J S a Downhiller from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Strengths:    Beautiful lines

Weaknesses:    Rear end

Bottom Line:
I have ridden and loved Kona bikes for 5 years, but I have broken every single frame I have ever owned.
The stinky rear swing arm has snapped at the weld 3 times in 5 months, each time it requires way to much hassle to replace. Especially since I live 10 miles from the KONA factory in Taiwan.
Love the bike but hate the service.
DO not buy this bike

Favorite Trail:   anything stoopid

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Azonic, Banshee, Brodie, Norco

Bike Setup:   Jr T's Fox shocks 3.0 front and back

Submitted by Dan McFetridge from Canton, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2003

Strengths:    Good front and rear suspension. Great for drops and jumps.

Weaknesses:    Weak rear triangle. Kona customer service.

Bottom Line:
Great overall bike for price. Great suspension, holds up well on big drops. Only bottoms out over 6-7 feet. Could use better rear trinagle, it seems to bend easily. Great if you are going to do drops and some big jumps. Great for step-ups(good preload capabilities).

Favorite Trail:   Huckleberry

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Orange MrO, Stinky, RM6

Bike Setup:   Hayes hydraulic, bombers, rear fox vanillas.

Submitted by Pete Austin a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Strengths:    All. Colour, ride, handling, rear shock and looks.

Weaknesses:    None that I have come across.

Bottom Line:
Bought as frame only in 2000 as it was reduced after snapping yet another frame. It was the break I needed (pardon the pun).This bike takes you to the zone and keeps you there. It was plush out of the box but with the BETD plates on the back(6.5") it eats every thing I have thrown at it including very large rock fields and 2m drops. BUY THE LONG TRAVEL PLATES THEY ARE VERY VERY GOOD. This frame set is ideal for 'freeridin'(what a silly term) and UK DH. Resssspect to our brothers and sisters who live in the States and mainland Europe where the DH courses are everything we dream of, buy a frame dedicated to largness. I don't think this frame could deal with that sort of riding. For my needs it rules the roost.

Favorite Trail:   pinch flat

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   proflex, FSR, Coyotte, Super 8.

Bike Setup:   Super T Pro 02, Hope Enduro 4 discs, XT stuff, assorted azonic, BETD long travel plates, Raceface XY & Good n Evil, an average chain device.

Submitted by Adam Hawker a Downhiller from Worcester...UK

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    Out of the box it seems awsome and the paintwork is out of this world.

Weaknesses:    READ ON FELLOW PEOPLE!!!

Bottom Line:
Right then...DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE!
1st:Snapped Rear Triangle (near weld on the driveside)
2nd:Blew the Shock
3rd:Cranks Rounded off
4th:Snapped Rear Triangle (same as before)
5th:Seat clamp fell apart
6th:Cracked the JrT's (no lies there,they did actually snap)
7th:Cracked the Downtube (behind the shock)
8th:Again cracked the Downtube

I went through 2 rear ends and 2 front ends on this frame in the space of 12months. Kona were terrible for replacing it...they sent the rear end from a Stinky to go onto the front end on my Stinky Dee-Lux and this took AGES.No rubbish each time the frame went it took about 2months to get it replaced which left me bikeless for a long time. The other parts that failed on it were replaced very quickly, espiecally from Marzocchi (all praise due). The bikes a complete sham and wont last you too long...i'm only a small guy weighing 9stone. STAY AWAY FROM KONA they need to get their act sorted!

Favorite Trail:   I just DUNNO!

Purchased At:   Maclaines Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Orange MrO - So much better

Bike Setup:   Hope Pro system on Bulbs with Sunn Doublewide Rims and Downhill chain device....otherwise as it comes!

Submitted by Matt Butler a Downhiller from London

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2000

Strengths:    Outstanding cornering, and fast acceleration, big hit capability, and stutter travel both out of this world, great fun and you can ride it all day.

Weaknesses:    Pivots just above chainstay's wear, but cheap to replace

Bottom Line:
Buy this frame, I race mine, and its never put a foot wrong. It eats up drops, but still stutters well. Haven't broken it yet, and everyone calls me a nutter. Standard brakes were a bit poor, should be discs as standard, but the hopes have totally transformed it. Forks are well suited to the frame, and the whole package feels nice and balanced, if a bit heavy. I am still running three rings at the front, but if you race lots, swop to a DH device. Cranks are great, even though I've been through three B/B's now, but other than that, Its GREAT BUY IT!

Favorite Trail:   Les Gets

Similar Products Used:   Orange MrO, Patriot, stinky, and 00 Dee-Lux

Bike Setup:   Hope Pro DH 4 Pots, Big un Hubs, Vanilla RC, fizzik saddle, kore stem etc etc

Submitted by Paul a Downhiller from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Strengths:    Fantastic out of the box and a year later I think I've got it dialed. Climbing may be slow, but she climbs, yes siree she sure does climb. After the pause that refreshes the Stinky loves a point and shoot offence.

Weaknesses:    It took a year, but I finally broke the rear triangle thingy. No Big Deal. Luckily I was in Vancouver and the "dudes" at the COVE might not be able to speak in complete sentences, but they had my bike fixed within 24 hours with (drumroll) no-charge! Should have come with disc brakes as standard (way back in 99 that is).

Bottom Line:
This bike is my friend. It seems to keep getting heavier as I add this and that, but my enjoyment level from riding is increasing exponentially. This bike lives in the Alps, but just spent 5 weeks touring BC with me - probably the best traveling companion you could have. If only you could teach a Kona a few of those circus tricks/yoga positions that are so handy for relieving stress after a hard ride. I spent a lot of money, and I'm still spending money, but it has been worth it. This bike has contributed to my quality of life - bottom line!

Similar Products Used:   RM6, Santa Cruz Bullit, Pipeline etc.

Bike Setup:   Fat Tires, Jr. T. BETD Rear Suspension enhancer (6.5 inches), HOPE Disc brakes

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2000

Strengths:    It is a nice Frame but...

Weaknesses:    Kona customer service

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that the stinky is a great frame, when in one piece. I broke mine after 3 months, and I don't weigh more than 165 lbs. My bike shop received the frame immediately and the Kona rep was even in the store at the time. Well here I am 4 weeks later and I hear the frame "just" got to Kona??! They aren't replacing the frame either, simply repairing the rear triangle. The welds were suspect to start with. They have it in front of them but they said they won't ship it for another week at least, then another two weeks for me to get it back. That'll be over a month without a bike for a guy who rode every day and planned to race and promote Kona bikes. I guess my bottom line is the bike is awesome, just don't break it!! I'm ordering a different frame and Kona has just lost a once loyal customer.

Favorite Trail:   Any Right Now

Similar Products Used:   As mentioned below

Bike Setup:   A box of parts

Submitted by Lewis Matheson a Downhiller from Morpeth, England

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    Quality, the warranty, classy.

Weaknesses:    Not very to fit an MRP chain guide to. Rear mech Hanger bent after one run a DH course.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Frame only, and as it was last years model it was being sold off cheap. The weekend after I got it I raced at the toughest, rockiest course in Innerleithen, here I crashed a lot and theres now five areas of the frame where the paint is missing-but at leasts its been run in. The back feels as if theres more than 5", but I will be getting BETD plates soon to take it to 6.5". It really is an awesome frame and it seems strong enough so far (10ft drops have acheived at the local quarry by me). If you've got the money you should buy one.

Favorite Trail:   Innerleithen

Bike Setup:   Big forks, Azonic Pyramid Bars, Steel Cranks, Tioga, Goldtec, Middleburn, Mavic, etc.

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from North Bay Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2000

Strengths:    Well when new the bike did feel really plush, the RC shock was nice. I have ridden the bike for about 2 months and it worked great. I did however snap the left rear chainstay right at the weld. We ride some drops, about 3-5 feet max, the bike wasn't even raced yet. The colour was wicked and the ride was very sweet. My hayes on the back may have stressed the weld but there is no way a bike that new should break, I only weigh 160lbs!!

Weaknesses:    Weak rear triangle??, just be careful. And the bushings at the back above the chainstays tend to wear and the plushness goes away, cheap to replace though.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, serious machine, not too heavy to climb with in my opinion. But.... watch those rear welds and replace the rear bushings at least every 6 months..

Favorite Trail:   Basic, Stupid

Similar Products Used:   Kona Manomano, 99 stinky, 00 stinky dee-lux, dudu, rocky pipeline, 4-banger.

Bike Setup:   Mr. T. fork, full hayes hydraulic, race face crank and bar, LX shifters, XT deraillers, Maxis tires, Rhyno lite in the rear and real hub in front.

Submitted by Chris Hanna a Downhiller from Foster City CA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    I love this bike. Its so Solid. But when its so strong it comes with a price, WEIGHT!!!!

Weaknesses:    W.E.I.G.H.T and the crappy xtr xt and all that shimano crap.
LONG LIVE SRAM!!

Bottom Line:
KONA BIKES RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF U LOVE GREEN GET IT !!! IF U DONT STILL GET IT!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Flume trail in Lake Tahoe

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, KHS,GT,Intense

Bike Setup:   I put sram stuff on. I love it!!!!!!I changed the rims cause i wiegh alot. I run mammoth rims. Havent bent yet!!!!

Submitted by Greg Neel a Weekend Warrior from Ashburn,Va

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Strengths:
Solid in the rough stuff
Mega plush

Weaknesses:
A pig to clime,heavy

Bottom Line:
lots of fun, remember to eat your wheaties befor you ride. I love this bike

Fredrick Watershed

2 Years

fox

Submitted by Bryn a Cross-Country Rider from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1999

Strengths:
Lots of travel
Sweet colors
Awsome Ride
Super Durable
Easton RAD tubes

Weaknesses:
Not many

Bottom Line:
I had no problems with this bike, I could get up on everything, lost a little bit of climbing power but it was well worth it, it takes spills wel!

Da Wolf

3 months

Santa Cruz Heckler

The Stinky with a gripshift ESP 9.0 derailler and shifters, Race face Cranks, Syncros Riser, Time pedals, Syncros Hardcore post, Geax tires

Submitted by Ben a Cross-Country Rider from Stowe VT

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1999

Strengths:
Looks, quality, design, durability, feel of ride, great cockpit layout, ability to live up to its intended purpose, Kona specs bikes in a manner that puts the expensive parts where they're needed most and the cheap ones where it doesnt really matter what's there--very well thought out.

Weaknesses:
weight (not a big deal), price (but worth every penny), little to no seatpost adjustability due to S-shaped seattube, Tioga tires (stock on factory spec'd bike) not the greatest for North Shore style riding....side knobs slip off wood.

Bottom Line:
This is possibly a premature review, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will like this bike better and better the more I ride it! Simply put, this bike SLAMS!!! It LOOKS awesome for starters. It's a little heavy, but that's because it's overbuilt (and hence, indestructible). Perfect if you're looking for a freeride that will withstand the shock of giant drops that would scare most skiers away and slammin' downhills that would leave a hardtail looking like a pretzel. I'm not using this thing to win Expert NORBA XC races so I couldn't give two sh*ts about the weight. And it's not THAT heavy. Most people gripe that it's expensive, but I find with this bike that you get what you pay for.....it's worth every cent. My only real bittch with this bike is the seattube thing. You can't have a high seat for climbing and lower it for DH's, it's pretty much one-choice seat height. Kinda sucks. What's important tho is how it rides. Well let me tell ya somethin, I didn't buy a bike like this cuz I'm some old guy with a bad back who wants a cushy ride on roots and cobbles. I bought it because the stuff I'm into riding demands nothing less. I ride things with this bike that would simply be too much to handle for most other bikes--giant wheelie drops, rock drops in steep descents, big rock-laden chutes, north shore style flowriding, etc. And this bike just bombs thru this kind of sh*t. Like even big logs....Screw bunnyhopping over em, just pull back on the bar, manual over it full speed, and let the rear suss gobble it up like it wasn't even there. I've ridden a number of bikes similar in design, and the only one that compares in the solidness of feel is the Turner (and maybe Rocky Mtn). This thing just feels like you're riding a tank, but in complete control the whole time. Awesome bike. Despite the few shortcomings (seatpost, price, weight), this bike still deserves every bit of 5 flamers.

Pink Starfish, Shark cruiser

less than 1 month

Rocky Mtn Pipeline, GT STS/LTS, Turner freeride, Specialized FSR, Intense XC

1999 1/2 Special edition Stinky Dee-Lux, factory spec except Magura Raceline D's instead of Avid Arch Rival 50's. Size 16 (I'm 5'10, 150lbs)

Submitted by Butch a Weekend Warrior from Noralk, CT

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1999

Strengths:
awesome feel

Weaknesses:
weight

Bottom Line:
I tried a demo at a MTB festival in VT.
I usually ride x-country, but with this bike did freeride stuff I did not think I'll ever try.. and with ease.. it just feels so confident on big drops and screaming downhills... I did have to push up though, but not too much... I was going to get an Intense Uzzi SL, but now I am seriously considering the Stinky.

CASE

tested or demo'ed only

not quite

demo bike/stock

Submitted by chaz a Cross-Country Rider from amherst

Date Reviewed: September 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
this bike awesome. Kona has sent out a demo truck around the country, and it came to my town today, so i was like, hell yeah! i'm gonna ride a stinky deelux baby! it goes uphill as well as any 30 lb bike does, and downhill it awesome. i was(notice the past tense) trying decide if i wanted to get a K2 animal, Specialized FSR big hit, or the stinky deelux, and i'm sold on the kona after riding all 3. i was riding things i never even considered ridable on this bike. it awesome! to top it off, kona is really cool to send out a demo truck. i'm lucky enough to have friends that had some of the other bikes i wanted, but once i have the loot, the smell will be sublime. right-o!

tested or demo'ed only