Klein 2001 Adept Comp Full Suspension Bike

4.59/5 (29 Reviews)

The Adept Comp is stiffer than other dual suspension short travel bikes, and offers better climbing and traction on steep ascents or descents. It is equipped with solid components and wheels that allow for smooth shifting, fast climbing, and improved performance.

Submitted by sbrdude1 a Cross Country Rider from Bakersfield, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    As others stated before me the paint job is beautiful. I weigh about 230 lbs but the frame still rides good, a bit softer than when I was 180 lbs. Great geometry for fast technical riding like single track and XC. Rolf Satellite wheels are pretty well designed. I only had to true them once in 10 years!

Weaknesses:    Horrible stock components!!! Dump the Manitou SX fork in the trash. Bontrager Race stem, seat post, and crankest are boat anchors! I bent my small chain ring on the front while shifting on a moderate fire road climb. Shimano Rapid Fire Shifting Pods never were that precise and stripped out pretty quickly. Cut your steer tube short because while you have plenty of rear traction on climbs the front can lift so stay away from riser bars as well.

Bottom Line:
After all of the upgrades I dumped into this it rides like a racing dream. I think after all the costs from upgrading and what I paid for this new I'm $3500 invested which isn't bad considering it's sub 26lbs and a large frame. The frame is worth its weight in gold because I've ridden this baby hard and took a couple of spills but only have minor scratches (for all the cats whining about scratches get a frame protection kit from www.crankskins.com) I still don't have any dents in the frame. Whenever I hit trails I get stopped because people always trip out on my bike due to it's age and the fact that it still kills 90% of the new frames on the market and looks better as well! The value was only 3 chilis because of all the crap stock components but got a 5 chili rating due to all of the upgrades and current ride quality. Next rig is a Specilized Stumpjumper S-Works Carbon.

Favorite Trail:   Cow Flats

Purchased At:   Action Sports

Similar Products Used:   First high end FS ride.

Bike Setup:   Easton XC-One wheels, Shimano XTR 11-32 cassette, WTB Velociraptor front and rear 2.1" tires, Avid BB7 mech disc breaks, Alligator Ares 160mm rotors, Easton EC90 flat bar, FSA OS-99 90mm stem, Shimano XT break/shifter, Shimano LX front DLR, Shimano XTR rear DLR, Forum E3 seat, FSA AL2014 seat post, RockShox SID Race 80mm fork, Fox Float 80mm rear shock, Truvative Noir 3.3 Team carbon crankest with GXP BB, Crank Brothers Candy beaters, Specialized lock on grips

Submitted by Jaffy a Racer from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    Originally i only bought the frame. First off the paint alone is beautiful, the frame is beyond light for full suspension, Very strong, but then again i only way 90lbs.

Weaknesses:    Their are only a few, well maybe only one, the paint gets monched, it chips very easy.

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike, Worth the money, but it needs new components and a new rim set. Worth it all. Gets alot of attention.

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Specialized StumpJumper LX, Sevencycles

Submitted by Bob Doust a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, California

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Strengths:    Great XC bike, Climbs like a dream, Stiff and solid,Excellent value and it looks hot!

Weaknesses:    Drive train and wheels leave much to be desired

Bottom Line:
This was my first full suspension bike and going from a Specialized hard tail to this, I noticed only improvements. This bike can climb better than my old hard tail, it is very light, considering the components and it can handle like a dream. Absolute delight to ride for XC conditions.

I would however like to upgrade the deralleurs to XTR and the wheels set to Mavics, but I don't think my level of riding at this point warrants the extra cash!

If you are looking for a good value XC ride with great handling and sexy looks, and if you would like it to carry the Klein name, you can not go wrong with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Los Gatos

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper, GF Sugar

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by rl a Weekend Warrior from san francisco

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2003

Strengths:    frame, paint job and weight

Weaknesses:    fork, tires, brakes

Bottom Line:
this bike rocks! love the paint too. climbing is where this bike shines. hardly noticed any bobbing. it almost rides like a hardtail. you can getaway with the stock set up, but for a more aggressive riding, some components has to go.
i had a shifting problems at the front but after calling klein for technical help they recommended swapping a 113x110 bb. since then. it shifts flawlessly.

Favorite Trail:   skeggs point

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   trek 8000, klein attitude

Bike Setup:   xtr/xt drivetrain, xtr brake/shifters, monkeeylite bar,ck headset, thompson stem, psyslo sl fork

Submitted by J.T. a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, weight, shocks, paint job.

Weaknesses:    Drivetrain, Seat clamp, tires.

Bottom Line:
This bike is so comfortable to ride on bumpy tails and is an excellent climber. The Jamacian Gold paint job is hot. Biggest complaint is the shifting, the Bontragger front gears suck. The tires are weak also, they have very low tread and dont hold well on dry dirt, I've slid out numerous times. For Chain Reactions $999 deal though, I can't complain!

Favorite Trail:   El Corte de Madera Creek

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Bike Setup:   Stock with XT Shifter/Brake Pods, Salsa Seat Clamp.

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent Frame Build/attention to detail. Effective suspension design, very efficient.

Weaknesses:    No longer made, only made during 2001 and 2002 production runs.

Bottom Line:
If you're into technical singletrack riding and are looking for suspension to make you a more efficient rider, buy this bike. If you're looking for expert craftsmanship and attention to detail, buy this bike. I love mine, I just wish it fit, I bought sight unseen and it's a bit too small, so I have to look for a larger frame once I can find a new home for my medium frame. I bought the 2001 Adept Comp with the killer Jamaican Gold paint scheme, which is beautiful. Klein should have a patent on their paint process. Overall, a great handling bike that deserves to soldier on.

Similar Products Used:   FSR's, Sugars, etc.

Submitted by Will from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame build, attention to detail, efficient suspension design, excellent paint, excellent welds, excellent climber, excellent handling!

Weaknesses:    Klein stopped making this bike to make room in their lineup for the Palomino. Pity, for the Fuel and Sugar handle completely different from an Adept.

Bottom Line:
This is a singletrack lover's dream ride. Perfect travel and suspension design for efficient climbing, all-day comfort, and very minimal bob - hardly any when hammering. A great XC full-sus racer as well. Tracks and corners like a Porsche (or what I imagine a Porsche tracks and corners like!). I bought from the MTBR classifieds and it's too small for me, it's a medium and I need a large. If you're interested please send me an e-mail. Oh, and how I love that Jamaican Gold paint scheme!

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    Great Frame, great paint job (but chips easily), nicely balanced. Good value at year end sale price.

Weaknesses:    Ralph wheels

Bottom Line:
Overall, the bike is a delight to ride. All of the monkey motion is beneficial, no wasted effort.

Some of the components are cheesy, but can be upgraded.

I though my Bontrager Privateer was resilient and a delight to ride, but after riding the Klein the Bontrager feels harsh.

THe big bummer is the Ralph wheels--so far I have broken 3 spokes on the rear wheel. The last time, after the bike shop had tightened all the spokes, the rim displaced so far laterally by the broken spoke that it rubbed the frame, so I had to carry the bike 3 miles back to the car. I had taken a vacation day, so I would have been really bummed if I hadn't had a spare rear wheel in the car (something I highly recommend).

I would give is 5 chiles for overall rating, except for the wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Wheatridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Privateer something or other

Bike Setup:   Stock, except brakes replace with Avid, seat replaced with WTB before 1st ride, tires replaced with Fire XC, added riser handlebar

Submitted by Oregondann a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    Stiffness, weight, build, paint

Weaknesses:    off the shelf components

Bottom Line:
Shouldn't be suprised with the bike, because it's a Klien. Looking beyond the name and good looks of any of the adept frames, this bike is amazing. It responds to rider movement unlike any bike you will ride. Its very light, if not the lightest short travel FS out there.
For any serious off road riding, the components must go. The upgrades for the comp make it a better value in the long run than the Pro. This is a bike that I will hold on to for a long, long time!

Purchased At:   River City Bicyles

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer

Bike Setup:   Going for super lite...Monkely lite SL 3/4" rise, Ritchey WCS, Thomson, Flite...XTR on the way!!

Submitted by Ben Rix a Racer from Edmonton Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff and light

Weaknesses:    Fork, tires.

Bottom Line:
With a few upgrades, this bike is simply unbeatable, if you race this is your weapon of choice, Climbs like a mountain goat on speed. After riding this bike I will never race on a hardtail again. I have no complaints about the wheels, they seem a little flexy but I have not had to true them at all and I ride hard. Oh ya it's stiff, and it's a klein.

I will compare this bike with an Ellsworth tuth, and it's as good if not better, and for half the price. Buy this bike if you are a racer, or if you just want a bike that shreds single track like no other.

Favorite Trail:   All good tight technical singletrack.

Purchased At:   Redbike

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F-700, kona manomano.

Bike Setup:   9.0 brakes and levers 9.0 shifters and rear deraileur xt front. Rockshox judy sl 100. Syncros ti BB and syncros crankset. Panaracer trailblaster tires (the best) still stock wheel set.

Submitted by Daniel Kim a Cross Country Rider from York, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2002

Strengths:    Precision handling, great climbing, great frame

Weaknesses:    Wheels and tires, drivetrain, fron fork

Bottom Line:
Hmmm... what can I say? This is a beautiful looking bike and rides like a dream going downhill. My problems with bike are that the front fork feels a bit soft and yet doesn't handle the smaller bumps that well. In addition, both the front and back wheel are slightly bent even after a few rides. I'm about 5' 11" and 165lbs, so I don't think it's asking too much to have the wheels remain true. In addition, shifting is a little rough which may be partly the fault of the bikeshop that set up the bike, but I have to play with that a little yet. My biggest gripe are the tires. On more than one occasion, while rolling over a log or root, the back tire has slid out to the side completely, dumping me off the front of the bike. Even on dry rocks, the rear wheel tends to slip when going uphill. For the price these bikes retail for, a better set of tires would certainly be appreciated.

With all the griping I've done, the question remains, would I buy this bike again? Definitely! It rides well as long as you don't roll over anything remotely smooth. I suspect changing out the tires would lead to better traction. Everything that comes stock can be upgraded when you have a little more cash. The frame is what I bought this for and it certainly is worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge/Lake Redman

Purchased At:   Not so local shop in Philly

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 80, my old Bontrager Privateer S

Bike Setup:   Stock, but planning to add Avid Disc Brakes

Submitted by Rich Erickson a Weekend Warrior from Hayward, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, frame, frame. Not only is it just plain gorgeous, it seems (as an XL)to fit a big guy well (6'4, 240 lbs.) Value is good if the bike can be found on the leftover shelf for less than $1300. Full suspension bike that climbs very well and gives good feedback for weight placement as you stand on steep climbs. Rolf Satellite wheelset has taken mild abuse so far and performed well. LX rear derailleur performs well.

Weaknesses:    Not sure yet whether to blame the Bontrager crankset or the LX front derailleur/shifter for some poor shifting from small to medium front sprocket. Original tires are semi-street in appearance, not appropriate for any mud/gravel/loosepack.

Bottom Line:
Clydesdales take note: this bike in XL will fit you well, and the Rolf Satellites (so far) have held up to the challenge of mild trail riding/crossing/jumping with 240 lbs. of rider. The front fork, however, is too soft; I doubt anyone over 170 lbs. would find it appropriate. There's some upgrading of components in almost any buyer's future here... unmodified, the bike would only satisfy a very mild fire road rider... but they'd be very happy.

Favorite Trail:   The Plunge

Purchased At:   Livermore Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   First FS bike... prior was Gary Fisher Rangitoto hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock so far with small stuff added. Manitou SX springs upgraded to firmest.

Submitted by Jonathan Moss a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    The frame is incredible solid for being a relatively very light full suspension. Rides like a dream never dipping too much in the back during heavy climbs or hard pedaling. I looked around for a while and the only one that really came close to this was the Fisher Sugar 2. I like this one more and I got a great deal. You will love this bike.

Weaknesses:    Stock compenents leave a lot to be desired. The plan was to get the frame and upgrade over time.

Bottom Line:
If you don't have a lot of cash and want to get a top of the line bike that can grow with you go Klein. Frame is great. Over time you can spend the extra cash here and there and eventually reach the potential of this phat frame. Recommend it highly.

Similar Products Used:   Trialed Gary Fisher Sugar 2 (sweet), Cannondale Scalpel 1000 (sweet), Trek Fuel (terrible), Ellsworth Truth (pricey).

Bike Setup:   Stock frame, 2002 Rock Shox SID SL fork, XT Crankset, XTR cassette, XT Brake levers and Shifter pod combo, XTR V-Brakes, XTR Rear derailleur, XT front derailleur, Thomson Elite seatpost and stem, Easton Monkeylite Carbon Lo-rise Bar, OTI Lock-On Yeti Grips, Hutchinson Python Gold Kevlar Tires, Shimano BB, Stock saddle, Stock wheels, Stock Pedals.

Submitted by E a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    Light, stiff & responsive frame, klein reputation.

Weaknesses:    Components for price.

Bottom Line:
This bike really takes the edge off. I was looking for a little cushion, as I am getting older and do not like the jackhammer feel as much as I used to. I did not want or need anything with barcalounger comfort, that would suffer on the climbs. This bike climbs with great aplumb. I can't wait to take it out to the high counrty this summer to really test it. I will post later on that. I also chose this frame because I do not like to mess with a bunch of settings, with this I just pump it up and go. This is my third Klein and first full suspension bike,I chose a medium frame to mimic the lightening quickness of my old 89' Pinnicle, I feel that I have achieved this with the parts I have added. It is more like the Adept Pro, but at half the cost and over a pound lighter at 23.3 lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado trail