KHS 2001 FXT Comp Full Suspension Bike

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, ACT, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    Relatively light for a dualie. The bomber forks are excellent.
You are instantly twice as sexy when you sit on this bike.

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel spokes - found the cheap stock spokes that come with the bike are too weak on the rear wheel. First spoke break get it respoked with better ones.
Rear brakes were problematic on some bikes. Apparently KHS funded a free brake upgrade deal for those having trouble with stock brakes.
Girlfriend gets jealous of all the attention you attract.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike - you won't regret getting one, especially if you get the quad piston grimeca brakes.
I use the bike for everything - long road rides, commuting to work every day, riding single track in the forest, and lots of uphill riding (don't get put off by people telling you dualies are no good for uphill riding - I do lots and it doesn't detract at all).
Beware of how sexy you will become... I have heard of marriages breaking up after getting one of these bikes.

Similar Products Used:   Riding a bit on friends' bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for upgraded brakes (for free) to quad piston grimeca hydraulic disk brakes (much better than the ones that originally came with the bike).

Submitted by Lil' JayJay a Weekend Warrior from B-more

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    I stole this bike last year from my local bike shop. It accelerates like nobodies business. I can get away from the cops like whoa.

Weaknesses:    Misses a shift sometimes when I'm trying to evade the po-po. Bright yellow paint doesn't help when i'm trying to sneek into the half-way house past curfew. No passenger seat for my lil' chicadeez. Hops like a biatch when you slam on the back brake due to it's bustedass stock shock son.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike. I'll steal another one if iget the chance. Bottom line is that this bike is a major baby-mama magnet son.

Favorite Trail:   Long alley outside my section 8 house

Purchased At:   KHS

Similar Products Used:   I've stolen so many bikes i can't keep track. If you need something just e-mail me.

Bike Setup:   Ghettofied to the maximum. Aluminum foil on the spokes (bling bling). Chrome handguards when i'm sliding down those tiny dark alleys.

Submitted by Jim Lathom a Weekend Warrior from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    Price
Looks

Weaknesses:    Rear shock
Front Shock
Weight
Brakes

Bottom Line:
This bike is all show and no go. It looked great: FSR style rear suspension, Marzocci (sp) Z1 fork, disc brakes, ect, but it rode like a Huffy. The rear shock would hardly move when pumped up and then sagged a like a 70 year old stripper when run low. Had the same problem with the Z1 fork. Could never find a pressure that worked. The Grimeca disks were weak and dragged. I promptly sold it on Ebay and went back to my tried and true Proflex.

Purchased At:   swap

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 857

Bike Setup:   Stock except clipless pedals

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, OH USA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent full suspension set up. Great price. Other than minor inconveniences related to brake set up mentioned below I have had no problems. Climbs great and I only notice the added weight of full sus when I have to hike it (thankfully this is uncommon)

Weaknesses:    I changed from the Grimeca hydraulic discs to Avid mechanical discs mainly because I found the Avid's much easier to adjust in field (I routinely remove my front wheel to place bike in SUV to take to trails).

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money for cross country rider looking to upgrade to full suspension and disc brakes (both of which I have found I miss when I switch back to my XT hard tail). If you can get your bike shop to swap out the hydraulics for mechanical discs you may find it an easier transition from V's in terms of maintenaince. The full suspension is great and the weight mainly is noticed is putting the bike in the car or on the rack.

Favorite Trail:   Cave Run Lake Area

Purchased At:   Goin Mobile Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I also have a KHS steel hard tail with XT components that I like quite a bit. I tested Cannondale, GT full sus bikes on road

Bike Setup:   I upgraded to XT front and rear derailers (but noticed no problems with the ones that came with the bike). I switched out the disc brakes for mechanical discs as described for less hassle.

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2001

Strengths:    the frame has held up to everything so far. the forks are super nice. good componentry on the bike. handels downhills very good. for a full suspension bike it goes up hill pretty good too.

Weaknesses:    the rear shock. if there's one thing wrong with the bike it's the rear shock. in one day i blew out the shock and bent the rear rim. the peadles are way to skinny too.
also the people who are behind this product are not the most talented in returning phone messages. my rear shock has been blown out for a few weeks and i just recently got a hold of the guy at KHS.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line on this bike is it is real light and everything works very well, except the rear shock. if u do buy this bike put a better rear shock on it.

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   my bike came with marzocchi z5 forks wich i love. i also run xt rapid fire shifters and wider platform peadles.

Submitted by Shane Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane,QLD,Australia

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    Very comfortable ride with great suspension setup for the weekend warrior. Rides and handles like a dream. Easy to get used to. All componants are easy maintence.

Weaknesses:    None at this stage.

Bottom Line:
If you have to make a choice, make the right one and buy one. You will not regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Cootha

Purchased At:   AstroBIKE

Similar Products Used:   I used a Merida Dominator, but it just does not compare.

Bike Setup:   4" of front and rear travel, disk brakes and very light.

Submitted by Geordie a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    Value!! You get a FS/XC bike ( 4" front and back ) hydraulic disk brakes and a decent component package for under $1500.00 bucks. Anything else in this class was at least $300.00 buck more. I use this bike for everything from communting to freeriding. If you can only afford one bike, this is a good choice. It has taken all the abuse I have handed it no problems at all.

Weaknesses:    I have found the grimeca system 1 hydraulic disk brakes a little labour intensive. I've had to bleed my front brakes a couple of times. This is usually after a day of serious down hill fun.

Bottom Line:
If you are a weekend warrior and love blasting down some single track, free riding or cross country, and you want a full suspension bike but you are on a budget, this bike offers a lot of bang for your buck.

Favorite Trail:   Barrier Lake ( Jewel )

Purchased At:   Single Track Cycle