KHS 2000 Team ST Full Suspension Bike

4.69/5 (13 Reviews)

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 Super Fly fork

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Strengths:    Price, very well spec'd, light, strong....isnt that the best case scenerio when reviewing ANY trail bike?

Weaknesses:    Absolutely None after 4 years and over 10,000 miles of riding!

Bottom Line:
After all these years I am still in love with this bike. The low maintenence rear shock is just the ticket to take the edge off, while the zoke z2 up front is light, and soaks up everything an aggressive trail rider can throw at it. It rides like a steel hardtail on sedatives. It's very responsive, climbs well, descends like a champ and is more forgiving than I expected. Thank you KHS for making an affordable top of the line product that rides like a much more expensive bike. You have earned a loyal customer and I intend to purchase an 04 FR1500 very soon.

Favorite Trail:   tiger mountain

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   They arent really similar, but my previous bikes were a GT avalanche and before that a specialized rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock other than the following upgrades: Rhyno lite/xt disc wheelset(at 210lbs, I kept having to true the 317's), easton monkeylite carbon bars, ODI lock on grips, cane creek bar ends, Salsa QR seat post clamp, egg beater pedals.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Honduras

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Strengths:    Value. The XT disc brakes rock. When me and the gang go mudding, I have no problems with them gunking up or stopping. The other guys with the V's have a much harder time with them. The suspension I think is just right for all around use.

Weaknesses:    Welds on the Kore stem make clicking noises. Rear shock is very simplistic- gets dirty very easily and even when it is clean and lubed I can feel it binding through my seat. The Marzzochi X-fly 100 z2 fork has some lateral play - which annoyes me. The brake cables rub against the fork and frame - I used plastic wire insulators to solve that problem, but I still had to use zip ties to affix the cable to the frame. What have others done to secure the brake cables? The dorky down tube with it's Delta construction looks weak.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this bike is a tremendous value and it is a solid performer with decent components. It has it's flaws but nothing that a few upgrades couldn't take care of. This bike is ideal for the weekend warrior as well as XC racer.

Favorite Trail:   The TACAN - 12 mile ascent 4,500 ft.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930 singletrack

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by lk a Weekend Warrior from washington dc

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    Amazing all around deal.The steel frame is very supple , coupled with the rear shock and marzocchi z2 gives a very smooth ride over rough terrain .

Weaknesses:    Rear shock is a bit creaky untill you take it apart and lube it up .

Bottom Line:
Quite a fantastic deal , especially the 15" model which is a $100 cheaper still. The fork is really stiff , yet smooth over the bumps.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   xtr/xt , xt disc etc...

Submitted by Harry a Cross Country Rider from Brookline,MA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Strengths:    Fairly light and simple.
Very well built frame.
Incredibly cheap (must be employing fetuses in China)!

Weaknesses:    Creaky, primitive rear suspension.

Bottom Line:
1999-2000 Frame bought at Price point for $180-- totally unbeatable. I built this bike to be my beater but often end up riding this bike on the trails. This is an amazing frame for the price-- built with nice welds, incredibly light for a low-buck chrome-moly, and nice but fragile paint job (get a lizard skin chain stay protector). The soft-tail suspension does take the edge off hits but I have to say that it is really, really rudimentary. I can FEEL (not hear) it creak through the saddle when it compresses and it kicks back b/c it has no rebound damping. Also there is no disc brake mounts but no self-respecting person would put disc brakes on a frame that so cheap (except me). This frame is springy and absorbs shock well (the wonders of steel..) and tracks well. A beater bike that I am pretty proud to pound down the local trails-- imagine that!

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Bike Setup:   XT deraillers and crankset. Arch Rival 50 brakes. White industry wheels, MARS shock.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome components, responsive, tough, good climber, soft tail, excellent value

Weaknesses:    A little heavy at 26 pounds, would rather have time pedals.

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks a$$. I found an awesome deal at pricepoint.com. The components alone would run $2000. IT is smooth over the rough stuff thanks to one of the best xc forks available and the soft tail with almost 1" of travel. Keeps tires on the ground and climbs better than a hardtail in my opinion. It is quick and tough....and if you haven't been on a steel frame in a while, try it, it is much smoother. The disc brakes were broken in after about 10 miles, now they stop on a dime. Seem to take more punishment than hayes (especially the levers).

Upgrade the three LX components and the bike has no weaknesses. Just like another review, the rear dampener must be taken apart right away, lubed very well, and then covered. Two lizard skin headset covers work great. My rear shock was creaking...but after I took it apart it's like butta.

Don't pass up this bike. My racing improved dramatically, and it keeps getting better. I couldn't be happier. 5 flamin' chilis for this bad boy.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant nrs 1, Klien, Trek, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   stock: Marzocchi z2 x-fly, xt disc brakes, xtr reverse pull rear derailleur, xt crank and bottom bracket, etc...
Upgrade: xtr shifters, xt front derailleur, xt cassette

Submitted by Kevin Eng a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Strengths:    LIGHT, NO FLEX (except the softail), SEXY, GREAT HANDLING, I LOVE THE GRAPHICS, AND PRICE!!!

Weaknesses:    None that I know of

Bottom Line:
WICKED deal for this bike (bought the frame only and had all the parts bought b4 hand). Thank you Scott at KHS for hooking me up with this sweet deal. I've taken it out on the trails and LOVING IT. I appreciate the 3/4-1" of extra travel in the rear end, it takes the edge of some of the little bumps on the trail. I recommend this bike for anyone that wants the light weight of a hartail but with some forgiveness in the rear. If anyone is thinking of buying a Ti softail... FORGET IT!!!!, save your hard earned money and buy a KHS TEAM SOFT TAIL!! Much better on the wallet!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything FREE

Purchased At:   KHS Canada

Similar Products Used:   GT Tequesta (LX,XT,Judy XC), Wheeler 7900 (XT,Judy XC)

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Psylo SL, Race Face real seal headset/Turbine crank/system stem/bottom bracket, XTR levers/brakes, XT pods/rear deraileur/wheel set, lx front, Thompson seat post, easton monkey bar, and specialized BG seat (PHEW!!! ha ha)

Submitted by tom a Cross Country Rider from canberra, australia

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2001

Strengths:    steel, handling, value for money

Weaknesses:    ordinary tyres, no v brake option, ghost shifting (see below)

Bottom Line:
In a world dominated by aluminium it's nice to see a cool but affordable steel bike being proudly promoted by a big company - and you happily ride Taiwanese in this country given the absurd prices we are charged for framesets made in the US. I got my st after riding full suspension for a few years; the softtail is definitely NOT full suspension, more like an enhanced level of compliancy. As for the issue of weight, I kind of like the feeling that my bike will last more than one season.

I only have two real problems:

1) why no conventional brake mount option on the frame? I love the XT discs but I'm not a huge brake fiend and would prefer the lower weight of vees;

2) unless the rear mech has just been perfectly dialled in, I get some ghost shifting on fast, bumpy singletrack. Anybody else noticed this? It drives me a little crazy given the otherwise great performance. Could it be caused by flex from the soft tail action?

If not for these, this bike would pretty well rate a five.

Submitted by Max a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    All around INCREDIBLE deal. A race quality bike for entry level price. No lateral flex. Climbs and descends with firm ease. Light and wrought with quality components.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock does not get alot of travel (about 3/4 inch)
Rear Shock gets messed up easily... need to cover it and lube it.

Bottom Line:
2000 2000 KHS Team ST Soft Red/White

Components Price

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   See the bottom line

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Strengths:    Light, rigid, amazing component group, good looking, nice cockpit, great fork, can't find a cheap part on it. XT disc brakes, Z2 X-Fly fork.

Weaknesses:    I know it's a soft tail, but at 145lbs it may as well be a hard tail. Needs more adjustability in the rear.

Bottom Line:
A great looking, riding and handling bike at an awesome price (the wheels, brakes, and fork alone would cost nearly what I paid) with a component group that makes it essentially race-ready. Not a beginner's bike, definitely not for those looking for a plush tail.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, NC

Purchased At:   Price Point (GO Gilbert and Tony)

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Homegrown hard tail

Bike Setup:   XTR rder, LX fder, Mar. Z2 X-fly Fork, XT disc brakes, LX shifter pods, Mavic 317/XT wheelset, XT Hollowtech crankset, mostly Kore Lite odds and ends, added bontrager short bar ends. Clipless pedals are Power Tools????

Submitted by Scott V a Cross Country Rider from Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent frame for the money...

Bottom Line:
Built up this bike dirt cheap, buying the '99 frame from PricePoint, and a component package from Wheelworld, (along with a few components purchased locally and a few from my old hardtail). I have used Will's advice of using a suspension seatpost. I took the rockshox suspension seatpost off of my old hardtail, and it feels great. I am a cross-country rider in Hawaii... this bike (with the SID 100) is serving me nicely!

Favorite Trail:   Kaunala Trail

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   XT, XTR, SID 100, Mavic 221's, Syncros, Titet saddle, Koski brakes, Tioga tires, Rockshox suspension seatpost...

Submitted by JP a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Strengths:    Top components, value for the buck, steel frame, and some really bad ass looks!

Weaknesses:    Looks so good, don't want to get it dirty!

Bottom Line:
As a newbie to the sport, I got one heck of a deal from Universal Cycles (check them out universalcycles.com) I searched all my local stores and no one could match their prices!

The bike is awesome! Light, sturdy, great looks to boot!

The components that come stock are amazing. I could have only dreamed of getting a bike with these top components before. The Marzocchi air fork is easy to adjust, feels great on the trail, and the rear elastomer soaks up the bumps really well. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs, and the bike feels firm under me. I've tried all sorts of high end demos and never really liked the way they felt. I thought I was really going to do some damage to those more exotic bikes- Trek, Schwinn etc. This KHS Team ST will be with me for a long time to come!

Favorite Trail:   Still Searching!

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   XT Hydraulic Brakes, XTR Rear Derailleur, Marzocchi Z2 Fork, XT Crank, etc. (Whatever the 2000 model came with.)

Submitted by Daniel Yap a Weekend Warrior from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2000

Strengths:    The bike is well speced with great parts. Really nothing that needs improving on.. for now at least. Until the next chi chi upgrade fever comes along.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy. The weight seems to come from the back so it must be the rear damper unit. Also the LX front shifter lacks the quickness in shifts from the smaller to bigger rings. It is a really long throw. The very abrasive XT disc brake hoses rub on the frame. Lastly the decals are low quality and will probably peel off soon... a clear coat should have been considered.

Bottom Line:
Love it so far. The bike feels stiff and accelerates well. However, the rear softail suspension does not seem to soak up the bumbs as well as I had hoped. My old Litespeed felt more complient somehow. So don't really know if the added weight of having the damper unit is actually worth it... will let you know.

The Xfly front fork is excellent. No bobbing under acceleration and soaks up the bigger bumbs well. However, air forks will always loose out on the buttery smoothness of the spring and oil damped systems.

The XT disc brakes still have not bedded in yet so, I cannot really comment on the stopping power. But I believe it will be good.... till next time!

Been shopping around for a long time for a new bike and I think the team ST is one of the best speced bike I had come across! So...

5 flaming chilli popiahs for value!
4 as an overall rating