Kestrel 1999 Rubicon Comp Full Suspension Bike

MSRP : $1900.00

Kestral Rubicon Comp

Submitted by Chris Crane a Racer from Cincinnati, Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Strengths:    good strength to weight ratio with long travel, very versatile, head turning looks

Weaknesses:    paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
The kestrel rubicon frame is one of the most versatile frames on the market with it's 4.75 inches of responsive xc travel to its full 8 inches of plush downhill travel. The monocock carbon fiber gives it the light weight of aluminum with the strength of steel. The rear shock has considerably less pogo than the unified rear triangle of the trek Y bikes, and the pluch long travel of the intense M1 (but will never compare to the M1 for strict downhill). I'd recommend this bike to any all around rider that's looking for performance from every aspect.

Favorite Trail:   ceasar creek

Purchased At:   www.thebikestore.com

Similar Products Used:   trek Y33, specialized groung control a1, intense M1 sl

Bike Setup:   full xtr, dual rear sid xc shocks, marzocchi xfly 100, kestrel bar, lp conposite bar ends (for xc use with one shock), kooka klyde stem, spinergy xyclone wheels, panaracer fire xc tires, race face lp crank and rings, speedplay frog ti pedals, easton ct2 seatpost, king headset, serfas kevlar ti saddle, ti skewers. 27 pounds total

Submitted by chuck d a Racer from walnut creek

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    PLUSH!

Weaknesses:    Flexy, cracks

Bottom Line:
Very plush-like the Armageddon- takes big hits very well-much more active w/the coil over than the air shocks with 4" sag. You can sit down over anything and steer w/rear wheel like a motocross bike. It's pretty flexy and I've cracked 6 different frames. They have a very good warranty policy though and built me a frame that's about 2 lbs heavier than normal-it took me a year and a half to crack it.It's a good race bike, as it sprints really well. When your weight is over the handle bars the rear end stiffens up noticably-sprints better than the Intense, dhi and Karpiel

Favorite Trail:   pauly creek@douwnievill

Similar Products Used:   Intense M1, idrive DH, Kona Stab Primo, Karpiel Armageddon,...

Bike Setup:   Two rear shocks-1 Risse Jupiter 5, 1 Fox Alps 5r. MonsterT 7", Hayes brakes, MRP...

Submitted by Carbon LORD a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2000

Strengths:    Infinate adjustability when set up with two rear SID's (99's installed). Large stable frame yet 24lbs with dual rear set-up. Excellent waranty replacement policies. Snaped top tube and Syncros Ti post. Both compinies covered everything, including shipping for free with a three day turnaround.

Weaknesses:    Alloy fittings (stock) snap easily, replaced with steel ones, works, heavier, oh well. All 8 pivots need to be maitinanced after every ride(what did I expect, I mean c'mon 8 of them and Im 190lbs), mainly tighten shock pivots, fiber washers installed, better, down to every two to three rides now and eliminated pivot slop. e-mail me if you have any problems with strange noises and tweaks. I have adjusted mine to death and rebuilt it from the frame up, three times with all different front and rear shocks as well as componentry.

Bottom Line:
It took me an entire year to build it up the first time. It was similar to now but had FOX Alps 5R's and different model HED/Ringle wheelset-up as well as forks changing from the Carbon FSX JUDY's to the Hannebrink Original with a little Manitou in between. I am 190lbs and find the light weight, massive travel, XC set-up is best for jumping and control. Been on just about them all (15+ shops in Chicago). I find this to suite my needs in a FS bike pretty damn right on. I ride mainly road and have many of the Kestrel models (5 different Kestrel's) but find that even if I were not such a loyal customer, upon testing a range of bikes with this one in the mix, I would go home with it in the end. Innovation, Originally, Material Workmanship. I can find no flaws with the end result. Chilis around!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere but the City

Similar Products Used:   FS from the ground up. I have found no other FS bike to compare.

Bike Setup:   1998 19" Black, White decals. HED Ringle Proto Ti Wheelset. SID XL, Black front, Dual 99 SID rear. Paul V's, Levers and Rear Derailure. XTR Carbon FD-e front derailure. Nytex Carbon Pro Cranks w/ Syncros 48/36/22 Rings. Old School 1995 XTR 11/32 Casette w/ first year alloy body. SACHS PC-91 Chain. XTR 8 speed rapid fire "pods". Syncros Ti post. Flite Kevlar saddle. Syncros Polished Hinged 130mm 0° stem. Kestrel Carbon Bars, LP Composites BE7 Ends, YETI grips, Speedmax Kevlar Tires Speedplay Ti "Frog" pedals and a GOD Damn BB UN-72 Tried tested and true for $15.

Submitted by Psycho Tie a Cross Country Rider from Abbotsford, B.C.

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Strengths:    I find it an excellent frame for both technical cross country and serpentine downhill. The year shock mechanism soaks up everything allowing the rider to go faster with less effort and greater control. There's no side to side wash in the frame either.

Weaknesses:    The paint finish. It doesn't take much to wear the frame down to the carbon. Plus, in keeping with all FS frames, upkeep is a must. You gotta keep those bolts tight and greased.

Bottom Line:
I once borrowed a Rubicon Comp for a 2 hour ride. I loved it so much that I bought a frame for myself and spent the next two years building it up. As a hard core cross country hider who likes his speed, this frame takes all I can give. I've had, and still have, other bikes- all nice ones. But the Kestrel Rubicon Comp is by far the best of them all. I still have the GT STS and use it for riding around the neighborhood with my kids. The Kestrel, though expensive in Canada, is well worth the investment. The suspension is always there and seldom noticed while riding, it's enough to take the bite out of the bump and still keep the wheel on the ground, allowing me to remain in control. I have a lot of history with the Emergency Room, but none since I started with the Kestrel. I've gone way faster and much farther, and all of it without the need for treatment.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere on the Sunshine Coast

Similar Products Used:   GT STS Team Issue, GT RTS-1

Bike Setup:   Kooka-BB,crankset,middle&granny rings,stem,levers,post;
Shimano-XTR V-brakes,XTR cassette,XTR Rear D/R, XTR chain &
747 pedals;Gore-Tex brake & gear cables;RST MozoPro 3.5"
fork;SDG S2000 Ti saddle;Club Roost DH bar;Sachs shifters;
TNT Titanium Suspension Hubs;Sun Zero Degree rims; Wheelsmith butted spokes & alloy nipples;Alloy guide &
tension pulleys;the tires vary with the seasons.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Alameda, CA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, unique design, carbon fiber frame.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily, pricey, wish they had more choices in colors (mine is bright yellow)

Bottom Line:
I have the Rubicon SX, which is the same frame design as the Rubicon Comp, but a little beefier construction. I put this bike together as my winter project (started in Sept 99) and just finished it up. Took it for a shakedown ride on Saturday around Alameda, thru some water and mud and on some trails around Bay Farm. I'm used to a hardtail (Cannondale F400) so the plushness of this bike seemed strange to me. After riding it all day, I was diggin it BIGTIME. On Sunday, a buddy of mine and I went to Juaquin Miller Park in Oakland and did some more serious riding. The rear soaks up the bumps beautifully. This bike is PLUSH! Yes, I spent about 5K on this rig, but it's the sweetest ride ever

Favorite Trail:   Stevens Creek Trail

Bike Setup:   Dual rear SIDs, Marzocchi Atom 80 fork, raceface turbine cranks and chainrings, ESP 9.0, Syncros stem, riser bar, seatpost
and QRs on Spinergy Spox wheelset, Magura HS33 raceline brakes. Check it out: http://members.xoom.com/Tdac7 then click on MTN BIKE

Submitted by The Wad a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2000

Strengths:
Super Plush, Fast, corners great, stiff, little pedal feedback if any

Weaknesses:
A little on the heavy side, but this is nice for cornering and hammering downhill

Bottom Line:
This bike is the dope, I've never been so happy in all of my riding life, THis bike is so sweet, it's a little pricy but for the fine bike junky, there is nothing finer. And check this out, when i'm feeling really burly, I throw on a second rear shock for 8 of travel and brave the burliest of trails. Thank you Kestrel!

University to Gray Whale to Wilder

2 Years

GT's Piece of crap, Specialized FS-Garbage, Trek Y-Crap

XT/XTR, SL, Mavic 517, Syncros post, kore stem, 747's

Submitted by Frank Stigter a Cross-Country Rider from Markham, Ont., Canada

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Strengths:
ride like a caddy

Weaknesses:
wearing out of the joints

Bottom Line:
This bike has been ridden for two years now and really has given me no problems, other than you have to keep the joints greased. Also you must replace the bearing in the swing arm annually. the bike does ride like a caddy and is very quick straight line. For technical stuff it is a little on the long side, but this is to be expected in a longer bike

durham forest