K2 1999 Bike Oz-M Full Suspension Bike

4.78/5 (27 Reviews)

1999 K2 Bike Oz-M, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Noleen Cross-Link Pro Carbon w/Smart Shock, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by TiM a Cross Country Rider from Kingsville, Md, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    Every thing! This bike will take a beating from any one! Yes, even from a 230lb 6ft.2in. rider doing 6 ft jumps on concrete!

Weaknesses:    So far I have only snapted the carbon seat post in half, but that was my falt, I am in the prosses to get easton to replace it.

Bottom Line:
All I have to say about this bike is good things, I wanted a top of-the-line bike, I was ready to put down the money, I did some research, Found this bike, and I am glad I did!
I suspeck I shall have this bike for quite a long time!

Get this bike if you want a bike that will take punishment, and you WILL get al lot of attention because this bike is a beauty! Also if any should breack have some money, because this is a top bike, so you must keep top bike parts on it.

Favorite Trail:   fast pase cross country with medium tech.s

Purchased At:   ebaY

Similar Products Used:   Pacific, and Diamondback X6

Bike Setup:   XTR, and race face componants, front fork is the same Smart fork on the Oz-X, much better then the crosslink I would say, the rest all stock parts(nice stock parts).

Submitted by Old Proflexer a Cross Country Rider from southern california

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    Carbon fiber components up front, main frame and swngarm can't be beat

Weaknesses:    Can't get them anymore

Bottom Line:
The best cross country frame ever built - including xlink fork that tracks like a bloodhound.

See my site for fun things to make for your K2 bikes and visit our tech forum for K2 / Proflex bikes:

Favorite Trail:   the one leading to my refridgerator

Purchased At:   Several different places

Similar Products Used:   Not much else out there like it -

Bike Setup:   Front and rear disc brakes (yes even on a carbon crosslink) XT, Bontrager, Koobi, misc. Shimano stuff

Submitted by Mr.Ed weirdo a Cross Country Rider from Carson Valley Nevada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    I seem to have a really hard time breaking it

Weaknesses:    A bit on the weighty side but I guess thats my build.

Bottom Line:
This bike seems like it will be around for quite a while. My sons will be riding it for years after I cripple myself on it. This baby can take abuse with a smile.
A rear lockout would be a nice touch, but you cant win them all. I just crank that shock down hard and it treats me well. Floats over jumps with ease. I wish I was a stronger rider to really see what it can take, but I know I aint gonna break it!!! Its quiet, smooth, and slick.
This frame will take care of ya right, put good parts on it as not to disgrace it and ride off in to the sunset...yahoo!!
Heres how ya do it....Get this frame, mix well with good parts.....enjoy!!!!!!!!!
Ya gotta ride it to know where I be comin from...
Bottom line....This frame is the Cats Ass!!!

Favorite Trail:   all the open ones

Purchased At:   ediscountbike

Similar Products Used:   First dual squishy. Otherwise pre-genesis fisher hardtail, Cannondale hardtail, G.T. hardtail, Specialized hardtail

Bike Setup:   Judy fork, Cane Creek deep V's, Next LP's, XT front, XTR rapid rise rear, Kore stem, Hyperlight bars, time pedals ( they rock!)....whatever... blah blah blah.......

Submitted by Tryad Vador a Weekend Warrior from Zion, Il 60099

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Strengths:    great looks, durability,smooth ride

Bottom Line:
I am a 260lb rider and this bike and the components I use have lasted 3 years without any problems,( I plan to switch my rims to the Spinergy xclones soon because my sin rims had finaly fall victem to warpage) I recomend this framset to anyone who is a heavy rider because this frame is bomb proof and I prove it. I have gone down some hefty trails and not one peep out of this thing, I dont plan on buying another bike ever. I already have a rebuild kit for the fork and the rear suspension. If you can find one buy it you wont regret it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   trek 9800 oclv

Bike Setup:   k2oz,rihno carbon cranks, lp bars+post tryico split rail saddle, sram 9.0sl breacks and shifters and rear derrailler, spin rims,wr composite stem, chrisi king head set, my bike is all carbon BAbY!!!!!

Submitted by Bill W a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    best looking piece of work. it's different, rare, stiff built to last a long, long time

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
It is my mistress, period! Disc brakes are the cat's meow, too.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:    ediscount

Similar Products Used:   Pro~Flex 857, Specialized, Trek

Bike Setup:   Hammerhead, XT discs, Mavic x317's on Hugi hubs, black DB spokes and black brass nips. Mega-Air fork, Noleen nr2 w/MRP spring, Easton Monkey lite, XT/XTR, XT splined crank, King, Thompson stem, Race F post, superlite tubes, Panaracer tires and my trusty Bontrager fs10 saddle. Weighs a wee bit under 26 1/2

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from West Palm Beach, FL USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, Smooth, Aggressive Climber, Quiet, Tough as Nails. Looks slick too.

Weaknesses:    Not in production anymore.

Bottom Line:
The best bike I have ever owned or ridden and I hope it never breaks. Proflex/Girven was, in my opinion, the most innovative bike company on the market. When they combined the Noleen shocks they really shored up their weak link. K2 bought them and they continued to produce some great bikes that I suspect were already on the drawing table. For whatever reason, they did not sell well and every year you could find incredible deals on last years model. My first was the 856 Proflex with the Noleen shocks. Living in Florida, I only ride CC, so this was the perfect bike. The suspension was a little stiff but it was a good transition from hard tails. I still own that bike, but wanted to upgrade and bought a 5000 because I missed out on the 957. I rode the 5000 a for a short time and liked it but was not impressed with the construction or design. The quality control was gone. I started reading about the OZ and realized that I had to have one before it was too late. I bought my frame and front carbon forks for less than $600 and built it out with all my best parts. The bike weighs less than 24 lbs and is just awesome. Everything that everyone else said before me is absolutely true. I will not need to replace this for a long, long time. I just left K2's website and can not say that I am at all impressed with anything they are offering. It all looks like the same old stuff everyone else is selling. Word of advice, "If you can find one, grab it."

Purchased At:   eDiscountBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 856, K2 5000

Bike Setup:   Specialized Titanium BB, Titanium Rear Cog, Carbon CC Riser Bars, Kooka Cranks, Duigi Hubs, Gore cables, Altec Brake Levers, XTR brakes-derailers, carbon bar ends, Easton Carbon seatpost, Time Atac Pedals.

Submitted by Kitty Karlisle a Cross Country Rider from grapevine yexas

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    Its existance

Weaknesses:    what ?

Bottom Line:
bike kicks ass, FINALLY made it to the land of high gear,
where bike is planing & flying.....THIS FRAME &
OOOO LALALALAL LAAAAAAA..kick ass "EASTON SWING ARM" has
treated me right from the start. I jam this thing weekend & out and have NEVER had a problem with the frame setup. THIS THING IS AS STRONG AS STEEL. !!!!!!!!!!!! bike is totally reliable ,, I trust it with my life ...literally---
ONLY down fall id K2 --- no product support :( ----
O WELL --- the OZ kicks ass - this week & next --- IF u dont have 1 , u probably wont get 1 :) LOL - I have 4 total budshing & ring re-build kits ---- I will never buy a another frame --- it is that good.... PERIOD --- IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO LOVE A NON-HUMAN PRODUCT ,,,THIS IS IT....

Favorite Trail:   ROCKLEDGE

Purchased At:   not paid to advertise

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares .......period

Bike Setup:   real hub at rear, lp composit handlebars, mozo xmo fork
fsa "red" cranks , just 1 34 tooth alum and 20 tooth inner
stock noleen shock

Submitted by John from washington state

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, relatively light, looks cool, unique

Weaknesses:    no disk brake mounts.

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around bike which could only be made better with disk brake mounts and perhaps a little more rear wheel travel. The bike climbs pretty well and desends well also. The carbon fiber frame is stiff, relatively light, and strong (much stronger than it appears). Some appear to not like the weight but I think it is just right. I recommend the crosslink fork for the XC and tight single track rider. The fork is not well suited for heavy riders (like a me) or free riding. I recently went with the marzocchi Jr. T. In my opinion you will not find a better all around fork than this. It has raised the bike a little but hasn't cut down on climbing ability. The bike also desends much better with this fork. The crosslink didn't quite have enough travel for me but it is a good fork depending on the riding style. The bike climbs pretty well for an fs bike but I would like to see another 1" in the rear. I haven't had any problems with the bike in almost a year of riding. They may be hard to find since K2 doesn't make them any more. Bottom line- this is a great bike for someone who wants to do a little of everything. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, the bike is not a downhill bike or a true XC bike, but it is good enough in all of those areas to be an excellent overall bike. Get one if you have the chance.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   raleigh, cannondale, gt

Bike Setup:   XT everything, titec, marzocchi jr. T, mavic, panaracer

Submitted by Maia a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    frame rigidity, suspension plushness, overall equilibrium, nimbleness, climbing abillity, down hill abillity.....

Weaknesses:    uuuuuu, hhmmm, nope.

Bottom Line:
I had a dream..
A dream where my bike would climb like a goat ,
slalom through roots and rocks like a cat ,
descend faster then my shadow,
fly over jumps effortlessly ,
change direction like a shark,
carve corners like a lioness,
and do all this swiftly and silently like a ghost...
my dream is real, the OZm is mine.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   ediscountbike (frame&fork)

Similar Products Used:   Marin Pine Mountain, Pro-Flex 955

Bike Setup:   xtr rear derail/ xt front, Lx hollowtech cranks, onza h.o. pedals, control tech seat post and stem , magura HS33 brakes, mavic 217 rims with hope rear hub and white industries front hub, continental fighter tires, answer alumlite riser bars ,stx 8 speed shifters,sram 5.0 cassete, selle italia seat, fsa needle headset.

Submitted by Johny D. a Weekend Warrior from Hopewell Junction, NY

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    Good rear suspension, simple design to maintain. I've had two of the k2 5000 series frame and somehow this frame has a better feel to it. It feels more responsive to input, yet a smoother ride, the thermoplastic material is great.

Weaknesses:    weight, but it's still lighter than the evo frames.

Bottom Line:
A great riding frame, the best of any proflex or K2 I've had. This thermoplastic frame just has a better feel to it than the aluminum models. I would just wish it was in the 5 pound range as opposed to 6 pounds. Other than some blown shocks a few years ago very, I've been extremely satisfied with the K2 frames. The design is very simple, easy to maintain, and totally effective. Has anyone had any luck with air shocks on the rear of these things?

Favorite Trail:   Ninham Tower

Purchased At:   ediscount

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS, Specialized FSR, Cannondale SV, Proflex 856, 857, K2 4000/5000, K2 Razorback RS.

Bike Setup:   Large OZ frame, Noleen carbon fork with nr-2 or Psylo XC (4" setting), XT shifters/brake levers and 11/34 9 speed cogs, XTR v-brakes and rear derailleur, LX splined BB & 22/32/44 cranks, LX front derailleur, Nuke Proof Bomb Shell
/mavic 222 rims, Easton post, Titec hell bent xc bars, icon 110x5 stem, and bar ends.

Submitted by Joe Schmo from CT

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Weaknesses:    dude, it looks and rides as though it were put together with toothpicks. lame ride, lame look.

Bottom Line:
Get some a real carbon fiber frame-making process like trek had with it's OCLV y-bikes....at least there was some effort put into those things. and what is with these stupid in-house shocks??? bottom line, they blow, this bike blows, and K2 as a company blows. oh, and did I mention they also suck at making skis?

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Boulder

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Strengths:    suspension very active.
goos stiffness, smoothness in the suspension pivots.
good overall geometry

Weaknesses:    Rides 'heavier' than expected, but not terrible.
A little more bob than I'd like.
Steering dynamics affected by rear suspension (a little more than other brands)

Bottom Line:
Overall I'm pretty satisfied. After the Klein I wanted something a little more active...This Delivered in spades.

The pivot point could maybe use a little tweeking...a little bobbier that I'd like, but smooth out the pedal stroke and this is minimized. Doesn't climb quite as well as I'd hoped, but the DH sections and puzzles are fun.

A lockout on the rear may help

I don't really like the noleen front (from other experiences), so I opted for a judy. Personal pref though.

Cable routing OK. Use a rollamajig on this guy as the simple swingarm puts a cood bend at the Rear D.

Fun ride...I'm satisfied for the price
-good down
-not as good up
-pretty fun

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch

Purchased At:   online - frame only

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra (98)
Jamis Dragon & Diablo
Other Proflex products

Bike Setup:   XT9
Magura rim
Crossmax wheels
Judy Long Travel

Submitted by Peter G a Weekend Warrior from Boston MA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Strengths:    Very tough frame, inexpensive *i got it crazy discounted @ ediscountbike.com, frame only for $500*

Weaknesses:    Noleen backshock is a lil heavy, but no worries, the rest of my components are very light

Bottom Line:
Very nice frame, very tough although it feels like it's going to snap because it's made of carbon fiber and whenever u drop it, it makes a sound like a hollow plastic bucket :) however great bike w/ my current setup, can't wait for the snow to melt so i can get back out there. i'm looking to replace that noleen but i have to admit it has some nice travel to it, just a lil heavy due to the coil. Have fun, ride hard

Favorite Trail:   Powerlines in Scottsdale, AZ

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Similar Products Used:   proflex 5000, gary fisher joshua F3

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT shifters, derailleurs, crank, hubs, mavic 517 rims w/ double butted spokes, RockShox 01 Psylo XC, XT rim brake in the back, Avid disc in the front, ritchey seatpost and saddle

Submitted by Mike Billett a Racer from Trollhattan, Sweden.

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2001

Strengths:    This bike was a warranty replacement for my broken Pro~Flex 957, I made a $700 cash adjustment to upgrade from a 5000 as I wanted a bike that would last forever... this will hopefully be the last bike I ever need to buy.
I run with Marzocchi Forks and a real mix of top end parts including Formula Disc brakes front and rear. I made my own design of rear disc brake adapter, taken from my original HammerHead design from the Pro~Flex 957.
These are easy to install and can be bought online at

The bike is the best I have ever ridden. Thanks Pro~Flex.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find...

Bottom Line:
I think I have said it already, the last bike I ever expect to buy.

I am one happy customer...... Pro~Flex finally got it right with this one.... and then axed the production..

If I had a million bucks, I'd buy a gross and give them to my buddies...

This is the perfect bike for anyone and everyone... beginners and pro's alike.

There is even a mailing list for enthusiasts... the 855heads find them at www.topica.com

Take it easy,

Hammer.

Link: My Web Page

Link: Rapid Downhill Innovations

Favorite Trail:   Long bumpy ones...

Purchased At:   Ultrasport UK

Similar Products Used:   I have had several Full suspension bikes over the years..

Bike Setup:   XTR (rapid-rise) gears, gore ride-on cables, WTB titanium saddle, Titanium Progressive 500/800 rear spring, good ol' Shimano M-535 pedals, X-Lite XC riser bars, Ritchey Stem and Seat post, ODI cuff link grips (awesome!), Marzocchi Bomber Z2 forks (custom valving), Mavic X317 Disc specific rims, Formula Carbon Hubs, DT spokes, self built wheels, Formula Open system disc brakes, truvativ cranks and rings 22-32-44 or 24-36-46 (depending on how I feel!) Specialized Team Control/Team Master tyres.

Submitted by charles c a Cross Country Rider from grapevine tx usa

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2000

Strengths:    indestructable

Weaknesses:    weight, but the bike i had before was a 23lb barracuda comp

Bottom Line:
I weigh 205 & 5'8", so bear this in mind, and bought just the frame. FRAME is indestructable, cannot be harmed. When I received it from the shipper & pulled it out of the crate, my first thought was "this thing is made of plastic , I will crush it in 1 day". THIS THING IS STRONG AS FREAKIN STEEL. The complete bike weighs around 26lbs, BUT Iam eyeing the NOLEEN N2 shock , and really want to toss it, BUT IT HAS NOT GIVEN ANY PROBLEMS.The bike will take anything thrown at it, I feel off a cliff and broke my rib cage, but the bike "I SWEAR TO GOD" did not even suffer a scratch LOL. The rear suspension is PLUSH, makeing my XMO feel like a rigid shock, I just wish the front felt like the rear. All in All, A GREAT PRODUCT !!!!!

Favorite Trail:   rockledge

Purchased At:   i dont get paid to advertise

Bike Setup:   mozo XMO fork, composite hanbar,lx & xt junk thrown on bike,