K2 1999 Bike 1000 Full Suspension Bike

4.67/5 (24 Reviews)

1999 K2 Bike 1000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, K2 Smart Fork, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by JAKE61 a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    Rear suspension/shock.

Weaknesses:    Smart Fork 80mm-not enough travel. 100mm upgrade isn't great either but good enough.

Bottom Line:
Decent bike considering it's age. The front forks were the achilles heel-not enough travel. I couldn't keep up with the latest bikes/riders with the 10 year old bike but now with the 100mm fork and new BB7 brake upgrades.... Rear suspension is excellent, still. BB7's rock. A 150 bucks for upgrades-bike should be good to go another 10 years. Would buy a K-2 again but no need right now. I like smokin' the latest 3k$ bikes(unless the rider is much younger-but hey, I can still ride)! With a few upgrades, this bike still rocks! Brick reliable.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Gift from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Sick-Alivio groupo

Bike Setup:   Noleen rear shock, Manitou Splice Elite 2005-Upgrade. Avid BB7 160mm disc front-brake, Avid Speed dial 7 levers, SRAM Full Metal Jacket Cables, stock Avid V-brake Rear. Manitou Splice Elite fork, Specialized Pro tires, Bontrager Race Disc wheelset. Deore LX Groupo

Submitted by Joey Martin a Racer from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Strengths:    Everything really. It's got a smart front shock that give extra support when hitting something hard. The brakes are V brakes and are very grippy. It's got plenty of travel up front. the shifting is extremely fast. its very balanced when being carried. the rear shock design is a 1 pivot, incredible design. it takes the bump out of anything and doesnt wash out very much. very strong frame, ive had it for 8 years and raced it for 3. keep it tuned and it won't dissapoint!

Weaknesses:    it's got a few rattles but its 8 years old!

Bottom Line:
This thing is awsome, no doubt about it.

Favorite Trail:   any of them

Purchased At:   Goodly's bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Marin bolinas ridge hardtail. a P.O.S. from walmart. and a Motobecane 700 DS full suspension

Bike Setup:   full suspension

Submitted by Erik Ray a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Strengths:    Price. The other FS bikes were much more, with less quality comonents. All LX, solid rear suspension, proven proflex design. Avid Brakes.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, I'm used to my GT hardtail so this isn't a fair comparison. Tires (only 1.8's! - I read so many reviews that these were bad, so I immediately put on Panaracer Fire XC Pros.) Rims.

Bottom Line:
I was shopping for a quality full suspension bike and came across the K2 1000. For $699 it was a no brainer! I replaced the tires, stem & bars right away. I had to replace the wheels due to a bad jump I took last weekend. It wasn't so much the bikes fault as mine. I landed akward, on the side and taco'd the front rim. I suffered a concussion!

I replaced the wheels with Spinergy Spox, and have yet to try these out. Once I recover from my battle wounds I will! The bikes a little heavy, but it's a full suspension. The comfort riding down bumpy downhills is awesome. I don't even have a battery in the front Smart Fork, and it works really well. Very plush travel.

Down the road I'll upgrade the seatpost,& seat. That might save me some grams...? I'm happy I bought this bike, it was priced right with a proven full suspension/swingarm.

Favorite Trail:   Kenter Roller Coaster

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   GT Pantera, GT Zaskar

Bike Setup:   Easton Scandium Riser Bar/Easton Magnesium Stem/Spinergy Spox Wheelset

Submitted by Joe D. a Cross Country Rider from West Virginia

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2000

Strengths:    Aluminum, strong, solid, tough. Simple proven rear suspension design. GREAT bike for the price.....Rides like a dream. Still two water bottle mounts. I'm in love....

Weaknesses:    LX/Weinemann wheelset would not be my choice. Avid 1.0 brakes low end but OK for the price. Watch the spring weight on the rear shock

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet sweet FSR for technical XC riding. I compared it to carefully to Trek VXR, Specialized Enduro, and GT XCR lines. I prefer it to all three because of the dead-simple Proflex rear suspension design (proven 5 years). It works >. Formerly brutal hardtail rides are now pleasure cruises. My ride times have gone down 10% even though it is 2-3 pounds heavier than my Cannondale CADD3. Simpler and lighter than the GT. No annoying bob at all, provided you get the right rear spring (the NR-1 came 2 sizes too light for me -- check the Noleen manual and decrease their recommended weights by 10 pounds). Frame is disc ready, I will upgrade as it becomes important. Bought from bikesale.com as there are no K2 dealers within 100 miles. Bothell has been absolutely great. Buying an eBike is not for everyone, but I like to take care of my own gear and don't need a bikeshop to help (except shock, got that locally). If you are set to care for your own bike, you won't do wrong by Bothell.

The K2 is a > bike and economically priced. Some heavier components (bars, seatpost) but built to last

Favorite Trail:   Temple Mountain loop UT

Purchased At:   Bothell (Bikesale.com)

Similar Products Used:   GT XCR3000, Trek VRX300.

Bike Setup:   Swapped Smart Fork for Marzocchi Z3 Flylight 100 mm travel. Swapped LX shifters for 99 Grip Shift 9.0, standard grip. Coil rear shock, Noleen NR-1. Components LX except for Rear Derailleur and Avid 1.0 brakes. With swapped components, this is more comparable to the 99 Flying Monkey, am also listing a review there

Submitted by Nick Gee a Cross Country Rider from U.S.

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    The Frame and rear pivot arm. Also it handles well cross-country and off road. It also does well on the local bike trails. It also has plenty of travel.

Weaknesses:    The Smart Shock S~U~X. I had it less than a month and it went dead! It also needs a lot of adjustments, and the front derealur is in a very bad spot.

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike and I would recomend it to my friends. It is a nice cross-country bike and off road bike. I really love this bike. I try to ride my bike at least 4,500 miles a year,so I needed a good bike.This is the one.It may not be a pro bike,bt is a darn good start up bike. Maybe even a novice bike.I have this trail near my house desighned for Hummers, needless to say it was HARD!The bike handled great. I did loose one of my front brake pads [it fell right off]. Oh well. I will give this bike a good review.

Favorite Trail:   Rail Trail

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shock Indy

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by Andrew Lesslie a Weekend Warrior from Neuchatel, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I wrote the first review on thsi bike just over a year ago- it's right at the bottom of this section.

Since then I've put in over 12,000 off road kilometers on the bike, yep about 30k a day, every day for 14 months.

So how has it been?

The 'Smart fork' went Dumb fairly early on in life and eventually K2 changed it for the Noleen Mega Air, which was nice! The Mega Air is an awesome fork, extremely tuneable and very light- a definite improvement, so thanks to K2.

Other than that the reliability and durability of the bike has been truly excellent. It's not in the K2 range any more, but the nearest equivalent is the Evo2.

I've had to have the rims re-trued every couple of months (this is normal, don't mark any bike down for this if you ride it hard), so I'm about to replace the wheels with Mavic 521s and go for the Hope Open hub & disk set-up while I'm at it- I've been through sooo many sets of those XT style brake pads!!

I've replaced the cables a couple of times. The cable runs (gear & brake) over the bottom bracket catch water- K2, please take note and re-route them with no 'low spot' so they drain OK.

Oh- and a new chain. Not broken, just worn.

Mostly I run this bike in foolin' about mode, with kujos, bmx pedals, riser bar, short stem, saddle back & low, suspension soft- you get the picture.

But I've also a couple of times converted to semi slicks, flat bars, stubbies, short stem, saddle up and forward, suspension set hard and XC raced it- and it rips at that too, the Evo frame is really light and responsive.

The bike's up to it, even if I can't get into that spirtual, climbing trance that the real XC guys describe. But they don't get to that, high speed, down hill 'empty mind' state where there's just no brain capacity left to do anything other than aim the bike down the trail and set up the line to negotiate the next turn / drop / rider in front or whatever.

So, bottom line- an excellent bike, the best I've ever owned and enjoyed, very versatile and it hasn't broken the bank to run it either.

Thanks to K2 for making it and to Frenetic Bikes, my local dealer for their excellent after sales service and great advice on keeping it running sweet.

Favorite Trail:   Jura and Alps

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Strengths:    Almost everything.

Weaknesses:    The Noleen Smart fork has gone wrong twice with my friends, could use Xtr component group, tires suck.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike loved it my friend owns one it works beautifully. The noleen smart fork downright sux it keeps getting screwed up i suggest setting it up with a marzocchi bomber z1 x-fly. Get one!

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Bike Setup:   Carbon fiber cranks, handlebars, seatpost, xtr rear derailleur/brakes, Xtr chainrings/cog, Panaracer tires.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2000

Strengths:    Love the colours! I bought this 2nd hand but almost new. Some awsome upgrades and at half the price

Weaknesses:    The weight is a factor, but provides stability downhill. Had big problems with the smart fork. Once wet, it won't work. Also bottom bracket squeeks no matter how I fix it.

Bottom Line:
Not light enough to race, especially compared to hard tails, but an awsome, forgiving, solid bike that brings so much fun when riding.

Favorite Trail:   Rapaki

Similar Products Used:   Used to have a hart tail giant, Trek Y-11 and KHS.

Bike Setup:   Raceface bars, headset, cranks and bottom bracket and Rolf Dolmite rims.

Submitted by MaryLou Ramirez a Weekend Warrior from Live Oak, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Strengths:    Smart Fork suspension and overall frame design as well as gear components are very durable. I have had only minor adjustments on components.

Weaknesses:    Sedona tires were not up to standard with the quality of bike itself. Seat was very uncomfortable. The paint job is not as durable as expected considering the punishment the bike takes on various Florida trails.

Bottom Line:
This blue beastie is one sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   Big Shoals, Little Shoals and Camp Branch

Similar Products Used:   I spent 3 months testing several different brands, finally dwindled down to a choice between the K2 flying monkey and the 1000 model. For the price and quality of components, I chose the 1000.

Bike Setup:   The only changes made were in the pedals, swapped out those on bike for the odyssey tripletraps, the seat and tires, opting for a more rugged (sand friendly) Continental "competition pros".

Submitted by Dan Irby a Weekend Warrior from Syracuse NY

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Strengths:    Main pivot, simple design, Smart Fork

Weaknesses:    For the price I paid (600.00 new) there are none.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a wonderful piece. It works much better than the older proflex bikes. Although a bit heavy, I really love this bike.

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 756 for the last 3 years

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Strengths:    handles well, nice component pkg for the money, smart fork

Weaknesses:    smart fork, wide bars, tires, terrible paint job, practically rub it off with fingers.

Bottom Line:
Smart shock dumb after 1 month, do not get it wet!! The good thing, K2 will fix it for free, the bad thing, have to send it to Washington, NO Riding :( That said, I like the way it rides much better than the trek, better frame geometry, a lot stiffer, great climber, jumper ect...
Will be a great bike when the stock components wear out and I replace them with high end parts. Shed some of the weight too. I rode a Trek OCLV hardtail prior so it feels like a tank. I'll add to this after I get the fork fixed; turn around time, reliability ect... Supposed to be an awesome fork, remains to be seen!!!
Aside from the lousy paint, I really like this bike. Checked out a lot of others, GT3000 being very similar. Great for a first full suspension, or a bike you plan to keep long enough to upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   Bellview (Ocala)