K2 1998 K2 Proflex 3000 Full Suspension Bike

4.36/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Anthony a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta GA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    solid frame with proven design. Strong suspension. Virtually indestructable.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy at 30.5 lbs.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the past 5 years. Have performed flawlessly throughout my travels in north GA, North Carolina, SO Cal., and Colorado. Used frequently on some of the most technically difficult trails in the U.S. with no problems. I just bought a Santa Cruz Bullit, but I'm not letting go of this indestructable bike that holds it's own on anything from technical hill climbs to horrific descents. Climbs better than my hard-tail. Recomended to anyone who wants a trouble-free bike. If I can't break it, not too many can.

Favorite Trail:   any technical downhill

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanch and Outpost. Various other bikes trading with friends

Bike Setup:   This is actually a K2 5000 with front and rear smart shocks, carbon fork and swingarm. LX, XT components

Submitted by Curt a Cross Country Rider from Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Strengths:    handles smoothly on turns and flies down the hills, bunny hops like crazy, got it really cheap used

Weaknesses:    damn rear brake cable keeps pissing me off, should have tucked it away somewhere rather than putting it right in the cranks way, stupid k2

Bottom Line:
Good price+ nice bike = one happy rider
But i know the reaer shock is gonna blow some time

Favorite Trail:   the one that make me go "oooooh"

Purchased At:   Some guy

Similar Products Used:   Uh, crappy beaters

Bike Setup:   everything stock cept pazzaz carbon fibre bar and nukeproof front hub, which give it a very light front end, all the big weight at the back keeps the tail down on the tricky spots, get the skins for the shocks too to avoid wreaking them, and a nice saddle for those long rides.

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Endicott, NY

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight for the price, strong frame, great front shock, fast on the smoother trails.

Weaknesses:    %$@#$ rear shock and slow K2 customer service

Bottom Line:
I really loved this bike. It has been thru a lot of riding and thrashing. I loved the stiffness of the suspension although there is noticeble flex in the rear (swingarm?). It climbs well on smooth trail and descends fair. I have had to set up the front and rear shocks pretty stiff to prevent bob. Consequently the bike is a rocket on smooth trails, and a handful in the technical stuff. I would still have the bike if it wasnt for the rear shock. I broke it twice. The first time the bolt acme loose that holds the rear part of the shock to the upper swingarm. The shock came loose , broke and wiped out the upper arm. Keep an eye on that bolt. The second break happened at low speed after loosing all dampening. Cause is unknown but I dont want a 3rd incident. It took about a month to get the shock rebuilt and the upper arm replaced the 2nd time.
Score: W/O shock problems 5 chillies, with 3...average=4

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Superv500, Cannondale Jekyll 900SL

Bike Setup:   Stock except for 800lb rear spring

Submitted by Kevin Thomson a Weekend Warrior from Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Strengths:    I really like the front suspension and turning capabilities. With the way it's set up, the fork comes down in front of the hub. I have taken some major hits on it, and bent the front fork quite a bit, that would destroy conventional suspension, but have kept riding this one just fine.

Weaknesses:    The rear suspension is made more for cross country comfort than for really rough riding, drops, and jumps. I have broken the rear spring twice, both times under warranty. Also, when it breaks, the rear stay jabs forward into the frame, putting a nice looking dent in it. The first time i broke it, it took nearly a year to get riding again, because it took so long for K2 to warranty it. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I finally had to physically go to the K2 plant to get them to do anything.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike except for the rear suspension. The problem has been taken care of in later models, so i would buy another bike from K2 just because i like the riding characteristics. As for their customer service, i never would have had to talk to them if it weren't for the suspension breaking, so if they fix that problem, i can just buy their bike and never talk to them again.

Favorite Trail:   Vashon Island K2 trails

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop (Vashon Island)

Bike Setup:   I have left it completely stock, only replacing the components that have worn out or broken.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Webster, NY

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Strengths:    Not too heavy, carbon rear does not flex AT ALL, climbs nice

Weaknesses:    Hmm. Well, no disc compatibility, and I bent the frame last year and had the WORST customer service experience EVER trying to deal with K2 to get a new one.

Bottom Line:
This has been a decent bike. I raced it all year and it worked well, I'll probably keep using it for racing. But I will get something with a stronger frame and more travel for everyday thrashing. The bike itself is fine, but I will never buy anything from K2 again just because of their customer service. I would probably give it 4 or 5 chillies if not for that.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Mtn Cycle, Cannondale, etc

Bike Setup:   Stripped the junk components that came on it, put on XTR, Raceface, blah blah the money's all gone...

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Strengths:    Light for full suspension, Stiff Cross-Link Fork, Rear suspension design virtually eliminates bobbing.

Weaknesses:    Noleen NR-2 susceptible to breaking under extreme conditions.

Bottom Line:
This is a strong, light full suspension bike with hard tail riding characteristics. If your using the correct spring rates for your body weight the suspension is there when you need it, and it's not when you don't want it. The steering is very sensitive, but you get used to it, and it will become an advantage as you progress in your riding ability. The rear suspension was designed for cross country riding, and not jumps or drop off's. I broke my rear NR-2 shock probably due to accumulated stress put on the shock's piston rod from doing dirt jumps, loading docks, and other urban terrain.

Purchased At:   BikeSport (Seattle)

Bike Setup:   19998 K2 Proflex 3000 + Club Roost Riser bar, Spring Rates changed to 150 front/200 rear (black), Rhyno Lite/XT wheelset.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Strengths:    I've ridden this bike for over 2 years now after a friend recommended that I try his before I bought a new dual suspension. One of the main reasons I bought this bike and still enjoy this ride, is the rear suspension does what it needs to without feeling like you are riding on a spring. It climbs and tracks up steep rooty trails great and still lets you take downhills and jumps without killing your back. It took a little getting used to the front fork(Noleen; Girvin)before you really handle the bike well. But once you get the hang of the setup it rides fantastic.

Weaknesses:    I've gone through one front shock and two rear shocks. First, the oil starts to leak, then the piston may break loose. K2 has been good about warrantying the shocks. It is just a hassle when they go out. If you don't keep the cheesey plastic covers on the top tube be prepared for a dented frame.

Bottom Line:
This bike rode well when I bought it over 2 years ago, and with a little clean-up and lube on the chain every week, I've put over 3000 miles on it, and it still rides great. When the mechanical parts wear out, buy lighter better parts and you will get this bike under 25 lbs and it will ride smoother and faster than before.

Favorite Trail:   Poor Farm

Bike Setup:   I've upgraded most of the components as they have worn out. XT shifters, derailuers & brakes, Bontrager rims with Atom Bomb hubs, RaceFace Next crank and rings.

Submitted by Nick Lehner a Cross Country Rider from Niskayuna, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2000

Strengths:    Screaming bargain i got on it, carbon swingarm and Noleen fork look sweet as all hell, good mix of components (with a few exceptions) like titec bar, XT rear, etc.. looks sweet.

Weaknesses:    STX-RC hubs, brakes (replaced the brakes w/ XTs). The bike is new for me, but my friend has one and cracked the seat down the middle, rear tire (1.9) could be a little wider...depends on the situation. The fork also sqeaks a little, but i think that it can be easily solved with some grease...just havent gotten around to it.

Bottom Line:
Sweet bike...i got its for $600 at bikesale.com...you couldnt find a bike of this caliber in any bike shop for under $1000. With a few upgrades, it can be a serious bike.

Favorite Trail:   Poop Loop

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden my friend's Pro-flex 656, and an FSR, but this is the first dually i've owned. I like it better than either of them.

Bike Setup:   Put on XT brakes, bikesale.com sent me free clipless pedals, so i am soon to get shoes and use them, maybe new tires and seat soon.

Submitted by Dominic Ferrante a Cross Country Rider from Boulder Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    This bike has been the most durable ride I have found yet. It rips over the big stuff and doesn't even sweat the small stuff.

Weaknesses:    none- only rider stamina. I wish I could keep up with the bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks!! The cross link suspention has provided the best ride I have found yet, over ANY trail!! I weigh over 200 lbs. and this set up fits me like a glove. I do get a lot of questions on the trail about the suspention. I only have great things to say about this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch / any ride in Fruita

Bike Setup:   I upgraded to XTR brakes and shifters. Mavic crossride fims. Geax tires and endless tuning.

Submitted by Jeremy Fletcher a Cross Country Rider from Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Strengths:    This bike is very fast... I enjoy the explosion out of the corners and its acceleration. The no-leens and carbon fibre frame looks really exotic... I like to be different. This bike also climbed really well and I felt that for a full suspension it was decently weighted.

Weaknesses:    The bikes forks folded on me riding a steep hill. My derailler tore off when a stick got in my chain. This caused a crash which resulted in a broken chain stay... so much for the cool carbon fibre. This bike is weak... anyone doing more than a log or a rock better stay away.

Bottom Line:
Though I love the way this bike performed in race like conditions I cannot love this bike. It has cost me a freaking fortune... a good 900 canadian for new forks (Manitou double clamps which I never did get to try... Judy's were a standby)... now a good 150 for the new derailler... and a freaking 500 - 1000 for a new full suspension frame. It may have been a great looking bike but I could have bought three bikes for the cost of keeping it on the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Ridge... Rise and Shine

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive, Kona Stinky, and Kona Pahoehoe.

Bike Setup:   Crowbar risers, stock components, a judy XC after my nice "folding" episode, syncros seat post, and ODI locking grips.

Submitted by Josh from Goffstown NH

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    Light, strong, fast, suspension

Weaknesses:    some cheap components, but they have taken one hell of a beaten

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great bike. It is fast and light, some of the people complain about the wieght, but it comes with cr18 rims and stxrc hubs. WIth that on my bike mine ways 26lbs. I just purchased laserbeam rims and momentum hubs. That should take some more wieght off of it. I have raced a full season with this bike, and put on countless training miles on it(i would guess over 2000). Bottom Line: Its a great bike, get it.

Favorite Trail:   Heart attack hill

Similar Products Used:   all of them

Bike Setup:   xtr shifters, xt crank, the rest stock

Submitted by BOB a Cross Country Rider from CHARLOTTE, NC

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2000

Strengths:    PRICE, NICE FORK, BIKE CLIMBS WELL AFTER A FEW ADJUSTMENTS,TAKES A GOOD BEATING

Weaknesses:    I WEIGH ABOUT 220 LBS, IT HAS ALITTLE LATERIAL MOVEMENT, BUT NOT BAD.

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE, WOULD TELL FRIENDS ABOUT IT. DOES REQUIRE ALITTE WORK TO GET IT RIGHT. ALITTLE HEAVY, BUT NEW RIMS AND TIRES WHEN THEY WEAR OUT WILL GET IT DONE . 5 1/2 CLILIS BECAUSE OF PRICE AND QUALITY.

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   CHANGED TO AVID 50 BRAKES, GRIP SHIFT PLASMA, AND CHANGED THE SPRINGS TO 700LBS ON BACK AND AROUND 500 ON FRONT , ELIMINATED THE BOBBING WHILE CLIMBING, IT IS A SMOOTH RIDE NOW. IMPROVED MY CONFIDENCE ALOT KNOWING I CAN DESCEND ALOT FASTER NOW.. ALSO HAD TO CHANGE STEM, TO SUIT ME

Submitted by Kyle Baillargeon a Cross Country Rider from Cumberland, RI US of A

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Strengths:    This bike rules. It can handle everything i throw at it. The Noleen Crosslink elite front shock rules. Easy adjustment. The rear shock is very nice. Nice and stiff so that your don't bounce on little stuff. Also it takes the bumps away too. I love it. Also the Carbon Fiber swing arm is so lite and it gives it the carbon look that just makes the bike. I have the white frame with the red front shock and red springs.

Weaknesses:    Its a little heavy but not that bad considering that i have a 20.5 inch frame.

Bottom Line:
I love it. Actually i ordered it online at http//:www.bikesale.com Very nice deal. I paid $624 plus shipping. I sugest u check it out. It came in right on time and came fully assembled. Thanks www.bikesale.com

Favorite Trail:   Tower Hill

Similar Products Used:   Well my last bike was an old aluminum Trek 7000 with 97 rock shox judy xc. It was tired.

Bike Setup:   Noleen Crosslink Elite front shock. Noleen NR-2 rear. Aluminum frame. Carbon fiber swing arm.

Submitted by Steve Hamlin a Cross-Country Rider from Millington, MI

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Strengths:
Great climber, Noleen Crosslink Elite linkage fork,

Weaknesses:
Can't move seat post up and down much.

Bottom Line:
Great cross-coultry bike. I bought the bike for 699 at Bennetts and have upgraded the shifters, brakes, and put a new seat on it. very smooth. The suspension setup is great, 3 to 5 foot drops no problem. Descent for racing, could be a little li\ghter, mines 27 lbs, with stx hubs and cr18 rims, so a new wheel set could take off some weight. Overall, its a real good bike for the money so I give it 5 stars.

Pinkney, Poto