K2 Bike 2000 EVO 4.0 Full Suspension Bike

4.64/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 27.50000 MSRP : $1649.00

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Noleen Mega Air, 4.0" travel fork

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    The frame is tough, well designed. Light and fast

Weaknesses:    The stock Noleen NR-1 shock is a joke... No rebound control. I had to junk it!

Bottom Line:
I originally built this bike with a marzocchi Z1 alloy fork and the original noleen shock. This setup was OK for smooth trails. In technical sections the lack of rebound control on the rear shock made the bike difficult to control. Changing from a 105mm fork to the 130mm dirt jumper and from the noleen to the fox shock (added about 1.5" of rear travel) changed this bike into a dream machine. Very little noticeable pedal induced bob except on extreme climbs in technical sections.

This is definately is not a XC race bike, but now it is a fun bike to take out and ride the trails (climbs well for a single pivot full suspension, but not as well as the Gary Fisher Sugar). It is efficient on uphills and BOMBS the downhills. It is good through technical sections and creek crossings.

The poor performance of the noleen shock will be reflected in the value and overall rating.
Having to change out the shock really hurts the value of an otherwise good frame.

Favorite Trail:   Flagpole trail, VA

Purchased At:   SuperGo (frame only)

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3, Trek 6500, various other hardtails...

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III fork, Fox Racing Vanilla RC rear shock, Raceface prodigy DH cranks (Raceface Evolve FR bottom bracket), avid rear v-brake, avid mechanical front disc, SRAM 8.0 gripshift, XT front and rear derailers, XT disc hubs w/mavica rims, XT brake levers, and bontrager stem.

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Jamaica

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    frame is well made and looks daddy, weight is OK, simple and versatile design that is great for all round riding.Efficient rear suspension that can handle abuse.K2 warranty and service.Value.

Weaknesses:    frame only so can't comment on original specs other than Noleen rear shock, which is weak.Single pivot is not the best rear suspension design. Carbon swingarm is a bit of a waste of time- dropout debonds[see below], no disc mount[see below] and no lighter than alum swingarm.

Bottom Line:
I got the frame only from Supergo and i love it. Mine is set up for light freeride, all round stuff. Climbs well for a 30lb bike, handles tech stuff and is a dream downhill. So easy to pull up, do drops and bomb through rock gardens, bobs a little but not a problem, good for single pivot.Easy to maintain.It's a fun frame, not for wt weenies or xc/racer types.OK the weaknesses, debonding dropout is a hella easy fix with two part epoxy, but it shouldn't happen.Rear disc adaptors available at a cost or can be made [check out K2/proflex riders forum].K2 replaced my swingarm with a alum one with disc adaptor FOC and no hassle when my dropout debonded.Not on sale anymore but if considering this frame I would recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain Peak

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Dare,FSR

Bike Setup:   marzzochi Z1, fox van r rear, xt der/shift/hubs/ mustang rims, mutanoraptors,raceface riser,kore searpost,selle seat, hussevelt crank, gigapipe bb, avid mech discs.

Submitted by Peter Belitsos a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, Ma., U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Strengths:    Easton Aluminum frame and Easton carbon fiber swingarm provide excellent strength through anything I put it through. Geometry is right on for high speed descents, and out of the saddle climbs.

Weaknesses:    No rear disc brake set up is a bit of a downer, and the water bottle cage location is a bit difficult with a large bottle.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this bike was built exactly for my needs. I can ride all day in Boston, cruising and shredding the city, lock up the front and ride back to Winchester, unlock it and crush any downhill I find at Horn Pond Mtn. With 4.75 in. in rear, and 5in. up front the K2 is incredibly versitile in any element, just like me. Anyone looking for a bike that will let you conquer any obstacle you can find, and not hinder your fun on your search to find them, look no further.

Favorite Trail:   Horn Pond Mtn.

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Bike Setup:   I've got my Evo set up with: XT rear der., XT 7 speed brake levers and shifter pods, Avid arch rival brakes, XT hubs with Mavic 221 rims. On the rear I,ve got Panaracer Fire Xc pro 2.0, on the front there's a Tioga downhill pro 2.1. Azonic shorty stem, Tomac Tenacious D bar, and Intense grips with ODI ends make up the controls. I sit on a Selle Italia Flite seat on a Ritchey alloy post. A 2002 Rock Shok Psylo SL sucks up the bumps, and I supply power with Truvativ Fire XC cranks and Shimano BB, SPD pedals, and a XTR cassette, and front der.

Submitted by Trail Bomber a Weekend Warrior from C-ville, VA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    Simple design, no bob, works great on everything

Weaknesses:    No adjustments on rear shock, no rear disc tab

Bottom Line:
Bottom line on this bike is that for a single pivot, it rides better than the hevily touted FSR. Honestly, the Speshy hasn't been ridden since I built my K2. This bike can do it all... its fast on the flats, no bobbing when climbing, and descends with ease. This bike can do it all... I ride anything from hardpack to rock gardens and this bike handles it.

Favorite Trail:   Second Mountain Trail

Purchased At:   ebay (frame only)

Similar Products Used:   2000 Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Race Face headset and cranks, XT drivetrain, XTR brakes, Tioga rims laced to Real hubs, IRC BackCountry rubbers,WTB saddle, Easton stem and bar, Titec carbon post, Manitou X-Vert

Submitted by Joe Rider a Weekend Warrior from Mudhole Ma.

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    Unique easton carbon swingarm, HUGE pivot bearing(BIGGER THAN SANTA CLAWZ)Easton ULTRA LITE tubing covered in the most beautiful copper matallic paint job you have ever seen, really nice welds(I used to weld aluminum for 8 years)fairly aggressive geometry, steers like its on rails, simplistic single pivot design is true beauty (ask Cannondale-SantaCruz-Iron Horse-Norco-EPX or any other major single pivot frame builder)at it's best!

Weaknesses:    Noleen??? Lets face it K2 is Pro Flex when it comes to bikes, when it comes to shocks and suspension, well lets just say that "Noleen" is why most do not take "K2" as a serious name in bikes, they would do themselves as a company a HUGE favor by contracting Risse to handle all suspension duties, smart shock-NR1-NR2-blah-blah-blah they are all garbage,this quality frame warrants a REAL shock not just in house K2-Noleen BS! K2-Risse???BUILD IT! THEY WILL SELL!!!!

Bottom Line:
Your reading this because you are looking for a full suspension frame, and that one you are looking at advertised in Mountain Bike Magazine in the SuperGo page has you thinking,,right???? Why is it so cheap?? Must be something wrong with it? So you look here to findout more about it,,YOU are smart, NO it is not REAR disc compatible and YES the shock is a disgrace, now you know, if you can live with rear V-brakes and have the extra $800 you didnt spend on the Santa Cruz single pivot and use $300 of it to put a real shock on it you save $500 (for some nice components) and have a MUCH better bike than the overrated Santa cruz, one bikeshop told me $1700 for a Santa Super Light FRAME and SHOCK alone, I LAUGHED IN HIS FACE! And I am still smiling, buy and upgrade Shock and you will be to! I give it 5 flamin chilis, for the price of an EASTON U/L FRAME full sus/ even needing the shock upgrade your still WAY AHEAD!

Favorite Trail:   Yours

Purchased At:   mag ad

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, Specialized, Diamond Back

Bike Setup:   DREAMY!! CT2 post and bar,XTR shft/drlr, Spinergy Xyclone ceramics, Archs/Flacks, Specialized Endro Pro/ PSYLO SL

Submitted by JON BRINCKMANN a Weekend Warrior from Monterrey, Nuevo León, México

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Strengths:    the bike has a clean design, very comfortable to pedal on almost any situation, the dual suspension design is very thougt out, they have really done they'r homework here.
-The Mega Air shock up front is VERY rigid, so it has the most precise steering under extreme situations (32 mm stanchions) its like riding a motorcycle.
-The rear shock is super plush, you can sit and pedal all the way.
-Very good overall component combination.
-Excelent K2 mag pedals, better even than Shimano 535 I must say.
-Best Bike money can buy.

Weaknesses:    It does have a thing or two:
-If ridden fast over rugged terrain the chain slaps your beautiful Kevlar rear swingarm (ouch!), I corrected this by slipping a Tube (tire) over it (its difficult), cutting a hole for Brake boss, it look clean and protects very good, try it.
-The handlebars are only for begginers, they are too high and wide.
-The Mega Air is not very responsive over the small stuff, but I guess its okey for an Air/Air, 32mm stanchions, 3 lbs fork.

Bottom Line:
Its the best bike I've had, its built as if I had handpicked the components (exept handlebar), you'll get a lot for your dollars.
Its a bike that will go anywhere, go fast and never make you feel you got the wrong bike.
Even though others wish it had discs, trust me, you don't need those Lbs on this bike my friend, it stops on a dime.
K2 is a very good company, investing real time on their designs, they have excelent tech support (check their site).
Don't buy it if you're a Pro except as a play bike.
Thanks to TMS, excelent service.

Favorite Trail:   No Names around here!

Purchased At:   TMS Bike

Similar Products Used:   Owned: GT LTS (Fox Alps 4 rear) and Barracuda beginners bike.
Tried: Lots of different bikes.

Bike Setup:   Its still stock, I´ll be changing the handlebars for flat ones because I pedal uphill a lot.

Submitted by Jessie Carter a Weekend Warrior from Denver, Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Strengths:    Great suspension, simple proven design. Decent initial component set-up, making it an excellent value. Good looks to boot.

Weaknesses:    Though the rest of the components range from good to great the seat post and handle bars are genric (pig iron). The Panaracer Dusters suck in wet conditions, as indicated in another post. Wish it was possible to set-up rear disc mount on the swingarm.

Bottom Line:
I haven't taken a ride on my hardtail in months. I really like this bike. I would recomend the EVO 4.0 for for any trail rider who's looking for a comfortable, quick handling full-suspension bike at a reasonable cost.

Purchased At:   Bicycle World in Aurora, Colorado

Similar Products Used:   First full-suspension bike. Tested against Gary Fisher Joshua (Ha) and Gary Fisher Sugar 3 (Nice).

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Thomson Elite seat post, Selle Italia Flite seat (ripped the Tri-Matic in a crash), Easton Monkey Lite handle bars and IRC Mythos 1.9s.

Submitted by Tim from Lake Placid, NY

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    Great all around bike. You can use it for casual downhill, cross country, or dual slalom. I do a bit of all of these and it works great. Great componet selection.

Weaknesses:    About a week ago my SRAM 9.0 snapped of while just pedaling on flat ground. I guess that isn't the bikes falt though. The Panaracer Duster's are weak. I'm currently running Tioga Factory DH. Much better. The rims are a little weak for Downhill/Freeride type of riding. Also there are no disc brake mounts on the carbon fiber swing arm.

Bottom Line:
A great bike to buy if you can't afford a DH bike and a xc bike. It is one of the best bikes out there for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Whiteface Mt.

Similar Products Used:   K2 Beast; Gary Fisher Sugar

Bike Setup:   Stock, excepted for Tioga tires, WTB saddle, SRAM 9.0 SL rear derailleur. Going to upgrade to a more beffy wheel set, disc front, and an MRP chain guide.

Submitted by Gary Kendall a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Strengths:    Great Component setup. Plush, plush ride. Handles excellent downhill, through rocks and over jumps. Climbs like a goat. I believe the only limit that this bike has depends on the rider.

Weaknesses:    It's a really good climber, however, there feels like there is a little flexing going on steep climbs when you are really hammering it. It is not bad enough to worry about.

Bottom Line:
It is an awesome bike. I did my homework before I bought this bike. It rides great and at it's price, it had a way better component group than any of the other above mentioned bikes. It's pretty darn light, extremely rugged and it looks really cool too. The shocks both work really well. I have crashed several times on this bike (not the bike's fault!!) and I have never damaged anything except myself! It truly is an awesome bike!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali