K2 Bike 2000 EVO 2.0 Full Suspension Bike

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 29.75000 MSRP : $999.00

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST Gamma-EL, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by Alex a Downhiller from Union City

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2001

Strengths:    Very light for a dual suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    did not get any reply from K2 dealers when asking for a owner's manual.

Bottom Line:
Pretty strong bike. Very easy to climb due to the bike's very light weight. Cool color's BLUE YELLOW AND BLACK.

Favorite Trail:   SKEGG'S POINT

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   TREK and KHS

Bike Setup:   psylo Rockshox, Cane creek headset, azonic, kore alite, shimano xt and lx components and rhyno lite rims

Submitted by cueber a Weekend Warrior from san diego

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    the frame. inspires confidence. I've ridden it on some rocky d/h trails maybe 4 times now and I'm keeping up with my friend who has been riding for years.

Weaknesses:    rst fork and 8 speed cassette

Bottom Line:
I ride on the weekends but i think this bike is geat! The way it handles on the downhills i ride probably has me more confident in my abilities than i should be. it comes with some low end shimano components but except for the rst fork, they do the job. Plus upgrading the bike has gotten me more into the sport. If you can find one for cheap get it and pony up for some 01 mars forks, their good and cheap. I'd give it 5 flamin' poo's on value but i've seen similar bikes with better parts for less. i guess i really paid for the awesome frame.

Favorite Trail:   penasquitos canyon

Purchased At:   oshman's supersport

Bike Setup:   upgraded the fork to a 00 mars w/lock-out. went to deore lx r derailleur and 9 speed cassette

Submitted by Heath W a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Strengths:    Suspension travel, smoothness, overbuilt, plush ride.

Weaknesses:    Weight I guess

Bottom Line:
Much more plush than my FSR, but a little heavier. The rear suspension absorbs almost everything, and does not bob while climbing. So far, this is the best dually I've ridden. I'm very impressed with this frame. The geometry of the Way Big model fits me perfectly. This would make a great freeride machine, and can be converted to entry level downhill if you live near any. I use it mostly for XC and it does that great. Weight weenies won't like it, but with a full compliment of light gear you could make it respectable. But it is a big, beefy frame. Mine weighs 32# but is built for durability.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   trade from Marketplace

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR 99

Bike Setup:   I swapped my old FSR frame for this one, same gear though. Mostly LX grade components, Manitou fork, Race Face stem, Titecd post.

Submitted by T.Wrex a Cross Country Rider from Memphis,TN

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    nice and cushy; frame seems very stout (time will tell)

Weaknesses:    heavier than my hardtail (duh); slight pedal/suspension interaction at times (not problem, just noticeable every once in a while)

Bottom Line:
I only have 5-6 rides on this thing, but I'm in love; I know, my build does't even resemble the original spec, but the smooth travel of this frame is what I'm talkin about here; I have found a little suspension interaction with pedaling when the arm gets strongly depressed (pedaling through G-out) but this the only time I've seen anything negative so far

It's soooo nice to land hop-offs and small drops (this is Memphis, not North Shore; small means 1-2 feet)and not get my teeth rattled; I can't wait to take a trip over to AR and ride some trails with real downhills that used to pitch me all over; this bike is rolling confidence so far; I'll re-post after a couple of months to update

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek (Mem), Camp Rob (LR, AR)

Purchased At:   online; Icycles.com (frame), Wheelworld.com (build group)

Similar Products Used:   tested I-Drive, FSR Enduro, SC Superlite

Bike Setup:   Evo frame with build kit from '01 I-drive 2.0 (LX/XT/XTR mix, Psylo sl, synchros/sdg bits)

Submitted by Nelldogg a Weekend Warrior from Albany NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Strengths:    The rear suspension design is really good (only one moving joint that has no play in it) and has nice travel (4.7", haven't actually measured it). The NR2 rear shock is plush (even for a 260 lb guy like me). Climbs WAY better than I thought a full suspension ever would.

Weaknesses:    RST Gamma EL fork. It sucks. I hate it. I want to find the person who designed it and shove it right up his ass. I've read complaints of the NR2 leaking/exploding. If this happens to my fat ass, I'll be pissed, but apparently they have great service and will fix it.

Bottom Line:
I'm a beginner (the last time I was off-road was 1996 on a bike I got from a friend of mine for $25). I've only been off-road with this bike a few times, but it's been great. It doesn't have the XT/XTR components that everyone seems to have, but I'm not racing and I don't need that stuff. The bike feels great (except for the f^@%ink fork). I don't think this bike is in production anymore, but if you can get it for a good price ( < $750) and are willing to spend a bit more $$ to upgrade your forks, it's a great bike. It's worth the $759 I payed, but could use better forks, so I'm giving it 5 Chilis for value and 4 Chilis for overall.

Purchased At:   WheelWorks in Boston, MA

Similar Products Used:   None yet.

Bike Setup:   2000 K2 EVO 2.0 with a few little additions and I'm currently putting on a Monitou X-Vert Air fork.

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from Stamford, CT

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Strengths:    plush rear suspension, good weight distribution (not too heavy front or rear - makes for decent climbing)

Weaknesses:    Suspension bobs a little bit when pedaling

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as a freeride machine to compliment my racing hardtail - mt intenet is not to race, but to take on long rides and to ride during the New England winter season. Three months in and I can say I made the right decision. I was pleasantly surprised with the way it climbs - perhaps it is the riser bars I have on it, but the bikes geometry causes me to be pretty upright and in good climbing postion. The bike is super plush. There is a little bit of peddle inducing bobbing, butr I expected that and therefore have been able to ignore it - put it this way, it isn't that bad nor is it that energy-sapping. My next upgrade will be a new front fork - my current 1997 Judy XC has only 2.5 inches of travel and does not compliment the 5 inches I am capable of getting in the rear. I will go with a Psylo SL up front and will eventually add disc brakes.

If you are looking for a freeride bike that is big travel yet comfortable enough to talke on long rides, you will be happy with this bike

Favorite Trail:   Mianus River Park