K2 Bike 1999 3000 Full Suspension Bike

4.64/5 (14 Reviews)

k2 3000

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Telford Shropshire England

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Strengths:    Good suspension

Weaknesses:    batteries running out of power in the smart shock

Bottom Line:
good buy at the end of the day, its lasted me two years and I havnt had any problems, even after I landed full force, bottoming out the front forks and snapping the brake booster - its almost asa good as the first day I bought it!

Favorite Trail:   hills and lakes

Purchased At:   England

Similar Products Used:   proflex animal

Bike Setup:   XT group set, front GT hub, crow bar handle bars, everything else came as standard

Submitted by R Lemke a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    Takes hills great (up and down)! Gearing, weight proportion, traction, stiffness, etc combine for a great ride. I'm beating riding partners who spent twice as much for their bikes (Specialized, LiteSpeed).

Weaknesses:    SHIFTER - not a reliable performer. None, one, two gears, never know which when trying to attack that hill. Techs have adjusted it nearly weekly, but goes back to its old tricks after another ride or two. They tell me it's a matter of the proper adjustment, my question is why so frequently?
SMART FORK - Battery seems to last only about 5-10 hours.
FYI - A friend and I bought our 3000's on the same day, but his has been trouble-free.

Bottom Line:
This is a good beginner/intermediate all purpose MB for varied terrain (don't insult it and keep it on asphalt). Bottom line is I'm a better rider on this bike than I was on my (cheap) hard tail. I have more confidence and the bike makes up for my (frequent) errors in judgement. Wish I had gone with the mid-size rather than the large frame because my balance in the air sucks (leaning too much to reach the handlebars). The brakes are fine for what I encounter around Albuquerque, but not for what I've tried around San Diego. I paid $1200 for it, but that included a life time service plan (made money on this). At the time, it seemed like a big investment, now I'm planning to upgrade after I get a decent RB. A big thanks to Dave, Matt and the crew at Sportz Outdoors! They were really patient as my friend and I made numerous stops in their store before taking the plunge on a four-figure MB. This bike has opened up a whole new FUN world of fitness and challenge.

Favorite Trail:   Otero Canyon - any of 'em

Purchased At:   Sportz Outdoors

Similar Products Used:   None really. My previous MB was a Gary Fisher Tassajara (hard tail ~$250).

Bike Setup:   Factory, as far as I know. Came from Sportz Outdoors, Albuquerque, with the following setup: K2 Smartfork, Noleen rear shock/spring, LX/XT, clip in pedals, Avid Arch Rival 40 brakes, Sun Rims Sub IV, Panaracer Fire XCPro tires. Trashed the italian seat in my first month (busted off when the bike went down - rode it 5 miles with only the rack to sit on), put the cheapest seat I could find on it when they told me K2 doesn't cover these replacements.

Submitted by Bill Jordan a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Strengths:    Overall design and feel. Solid components all around for a low price.

Weaknesses:    Smart Fork, weight

Bottom Line:
I was not able to get this bike at quite as good of a deal as some of the others that have reviewed it but I still bought it for under $1000. I took the savings and put a SID XC on it before I even left the shop and now the bike handles and feels great. I have a Smart Fork on my K2 Zed X (hardtail) that I have not been impressed with.

Overall I am a big K2 fan. I think they give you a lot of bike for your money. The 3000 is fast and handles the downhills like a champ. I weigh over 200lbs and have had no problems with bobbing even during tough climbs. I would recomend this bike to anyone wanting a bomb proof FS XC and DH bike

Favorite Trail:   Catawba River Trail

Similar Products Used:   Sugar 2, FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock except SID XC fork and increased rear spring from a 500 to a 600.

Submitted by Wizard from Reseda, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
What a bike for the money! I bought the close-out and this is quite a bike for $799. I immediately swapped for a Sefas Exterminator series seat (which works like a magic for me), cut down the seat post and put Shimano dual pedals on.

The K2 rides nice for XC, however I wanted to achieve more of an upright position for trail rides so I have put on a shorter stem. I will have a rise bar installed later today or tomorrow.

It appears that the new 2000 EV0 3.0 is the exact same frame, with similar components (if memory serves me). I seem to remember that the crank set is different, as is the front shock, and they lowered the price -- however it's essentially the same bike. It is still basically LX/XT , Avid, with a Norleen 2 rear shock. I think K2 had problems selling the K2 3000 at the $1600 price point , hence the year end blow out. Everyone reviewing this bike bought the blowout, so that should tell us something! At $1299, the K2 3000 would have still been a great deal, and would have sold MUCH better originally. However, their mistake is our gain, and we all got to buy this bike at basically half price as a year-end clearance! I believe that K2 got smart and dropped the price on the new model. The EVO 3.0 at $1299 will still be a good bargain though.

If you get a chance to get the clearance deal on this bike -- TAKE IT! It is a really solid performer. If not, grind your local bike shop down on the EVO 3.0...

Submitted by Ghetto Ridah a Weekend Warrior from Glendale

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Strengths:    Just plain fun to ride. Components package: XT rear derailleur, LX front derailleur, LX BB, LX shifters, LX cranks, LX cassette, LX hubs, Sun SubIV rims, Avid AR40 brakes, Fire XC Pro tires, Titec bar/stem/ends, 85mm Smart Fork , 4.7" Noleen rear shock(both adjustable for preload and rebound), 7005 aluminum frame..., AND it doesn't bob when mashing at the pedals, AND it weighs ~28 lbs... all for $799 (closeout price).

Weaknesses:    Seat is a torture device. The frame fits my inseam with 3" of standover, but the seat tube is too long to adjust down for hairy descents. I had to trim 2.5 inches off to make it more versatile/adjustable for both XC high and quasi-DH low (true DH probably requires at least 6 inches cut off). The color: yellow?! I'm confused: 4.7 inches of rear travel, ~28 lbs., but outfitted with a flat bar, long stem, and bar ends as if it was a XC race bike?

Bottom Line:
Seeing a really rutted fireroad, I can't suppress the ear-to-ear grin that I get. Instead of avoiding bumps, roots, rocks, and ruts, I intentionally look for them to run over. Wow, that 2ft. drop was fun; let's do it again!

CONTROL = FUN.

This thing forces me to push my limits. Descending down a rutted fireroad, I look down at the bike computer that reads 25 mph. Then I think... I can go faster than this Try to have this much fun on any other bike costing $799.

A little note about the weight: You might cringe at the weight of ~28 lbs. (some others on this site claim 27 lbs.), but find me a full suspension bike at this price that weighs under 29 lbs.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dale a Weekend Warrior from Leander,TX

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Strengths:    Plush rear suspension, balanced feel, confidence inspiring.
Nice component package on a sturdy frame at a reasonable price. It always does what my 200 lbs tells it to.

Weaknesses:    Smart Fork seems a little sticky, but always works well when
rolling, haven't bottomed it yet. Lack of fork boots doesn't make sense on a dirt bike.

Bottom Line:
A great bike with some questionable parts choices. It is obviously designed as a freerider, so why a flat h-bar w/ends and the very flat-prone Fire XC Pro tires? All these things are cheap and easy to replace (and a matter of personal preference) so it is not a problem. Really like the simple but effective rear suspension design. It is a fine handling bike that must be recommended.

Favorite Trail:   City Park in Austin

Similar Products Used:   Marin B-17 (5 Chili's!!!!!)

Bike Setup:   Added Hell-Bent Riser, Odyssey Triple Trap pedals, Berserker DH Saddle, Kujo DH 2.25 Tires. Everything else is just fine the way it is.

Submitted by LP a Cross Country Rider from Roseville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2000

Strengths:    Plush ride, very responsive, climbs great, goes down even better!

Weaknesses:    It came set up with Avid Arch Rival brakes, they have no stopping power! That should be your first upgrade.

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around bike. I have been a hard tail purest/holdout until I rode this bike! I was always concerned with how well a full-suspension bike would climb and how much it would weight. This K2 is a great climber and it weights in at 27lbs. I know that is not the lightest bike on the market but it suits me just fine. In addition it feels as if the rear shock forces the back tire to stay on the ground on those grinding technical climbs. To make this bike even better I bought at www.bikesale.com for half the retail price (you have to like that).

I know I have only been riding this bike for a month, however I have been riding MTB for about 10 years. As soon as I pulled this bike out of the box and put it together along with some of the components of my hard tail I knew it was a quality bike.

In closing I would like to give special thanks to the guys at www.bikesale.com and www.webcyclery.com if you need bike or parts forget your LBS hit the net and you will find all you need and save a bundle.

Favorite Trail:   Dyke 8 (Folsom, CA)

Similar Products Used:   To many to mention, I tested just about every full-suspension bike I could get my hands on.

Bike Setup:   K2 3000 w/Smart Fork, Noleen NR-2 rear, Race Face crankset, STX/ST components.

Submitted by Christopher Caldwell a Cross Country Rider from Memphis, TN

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent frame with a very active ride. The frame is not too heavy and the components are all Shimano XT/LX, which provide good reliability. The smart fork is quite different and takes some getting use to, but the noleen rear shock is AwEsOmE!

Weaknesses:    One very small problem I have found is in the hair trigger rapid fire Deore gears, on the downhill they tend to be set off by the slightest touch, however, this can be adjusted and proves to be only annoying at times. No Biggie!

Bottom Line:
This bike has improved my riding skills hands down! The ride is very active and the bike responds well, no question that it is very well built and will be around for a long time, upgrades will be made in the future, but none in the near. Phil and the guys at bikesale.com kick !#$! I recommend anyone in the field for a full-suspension bike to give these guys a call and check out what they can do for you!

Favorite Trail:   Herb Parsons

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   K2 Smart Fork, Noleen rear shock, XT/LX components, Titec handlebar w/ends, Sun rims.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from california

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Strengths:    smooth shifting, shocks are smooth, great climbing and decending, very responsive, value($900 at bikesale.com)

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
quality bike, good all-around bike, fun to ride, shocks are fine and frame is good, good investment, not necessary to upgrade immediately and great for most riders, weight isn't a problem(28.1 lbs)

Similar Products Used:   fsr

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Joe Barrett a Cross Country Rider from Garden Grove, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    Smooth, plush, easy to maintain suspension.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
This bike gives you major bang for your buck. I picked it up for $799 at Supergo. I rode it a couple of times with the stock LX/XT setup with no problems. It rode crisp and smooth straight out of the shop. Upgraded the parts with XTR from my other rig. Rebuilt my Judy with Englund TA cartridges and put them on the K2, which created a much more balanced feel to the suspension. I did not like the K2 smart shock. Too gimmicky and too stiff. I love this bike. The suspension is smooth as butter and there's plenty of it. I would recommend this frame to anyone. I am 210 pounds and it's proven a solid ride. I've only had it for a month, but have logged over a hundred miles in this short time. The aluminum swingarm is a must, at least for someone of my build. I've heard negative things about the carbon fiber swingarms, including stories of them cracking in parking lot test rides. You'll notice a lot of shops blowing them out, for that very reason I suspect. The 3000 is a great free ride, and depending on your climbing abilities, a great x-country rig. My only complaint is the weight. Fairly hefty at 28lbs stock.

Favorite Trail:   Rock It (Aliso Woods); The Luge (Modjeska Canyon); Marshall Canyon

Similar Products Used:   GT RTS and LTS, Specialized FSR-XC.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR with 97 Rockshox Judy w/ Englund Total Air Cartridges.

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior from Pacific Palisades, CA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    Great price - under $800. Excellent geometry, smooth ride yet very responsive. Good suspension bike for large riders. great brakes for price range.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest bike around.

Bottom Line:
Good overall value - fun off the shelf bomber

Favorite Trail:   None yet, but I'm looking

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Clint a Weekend Warrior from Santa Monica, CA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2000

Strengths:
Great downhiller, good hillclimbing, very responsive bike.

Weaknesses:
Have not seen any, so far.

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of research on FS bikes. This bike comes with a good component package, excellent response and feel, and a great price. $799.00 from Supergo Bike Shop in Santa Monica. Thanks, Marcelo.

Any in the Santa Barbara Mtns.

less than 1 month

This is my first full suspension bike.

Stock set-up.

Submitted by Josh a Racer from Goffstown NH

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1999

Strengths:
light weight
responsive
fast

Weaknesses:
nr2 blew up after about 500 miles
stxrc

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike. I wasnt happy when my nr2 blew up, but since i got a new one ive had no problems. The nr2 has or had a defect where it unscrews it self while riding. The bike is fast and comfortable. Ive put a lot of miles on it since ive owned it and its been holding up great. Just routine maintance needed...chain, lube, adjustments, etc..
5 cacas for this great bike

race day seat
xt crank

Submitted by Shawn D a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff, reasonable weight, well built, easy to maintain (I think)

Weaknesses:
none (yet)

Bottom Line:
I built this bike up myself with my own parts, so I can't say anything about K2's spec parts. I have noticed that this frame is noticably stiffer than my previous DBR. The rear suspension also works much better than my DBR. I have noticed almost no pedal induced bobbing and the rear suspension is really supple. My V-Link was a nitemare to maintain. If the pivots were not taken apart, cleaned and lubed very frequently, it was a stiction machine. I think that with only one pivot on the K2, this shouldn't be as much as a problem. I haven't been able to put a lot of miles on the bike yet (about 150), so this is just my initial opinion but I would recommend this bike to anyone. SuperGo has smokin' deals on framesets right now.

Javelina DH

6 months

'97 DBR V-Link 3.0

K2 3000 frame and rear shock, 'Zoke Z1

little advice on purchase of a 1999 GT XCR 3000

Question is, should I buy a bike this old. I really like the look and feel of the bike. BUT, I am concerned about parts for a bike almost 15 years old. Would love to buy the bike and spend the cash I would save versus buying new, to fix it up. Should I just get something newer that parts would be ea ... Read More »

1999 Gt Xcr 3000?????

Hi there. Looking at this bike on craigslist as i need a new bike. I am 6' and 260lbs and loosing :). Would this be a good bike or am I too heavy for it? Also i know GT got bought out. Is this a good quality bike too. Owner is getting a full tune up today on it. Thanks all!Read More »

1999 Gt Xcr-3000????

1999 Cannondale Super V Raven 3000--10 years later.

Top of the line 1999 Cannondale Super V Raven 3000. :thumbsup: I kept the carbon fiber frame and graphics covered up with a $1 roll of plastic electrical tape over these last 10 years. Every two years or so I remove the tape and deep clean the bike. Got'ta protect that investment. It still loo ... Read More »

FREE Full Suspension Frame - 1999 K2 3000

Anyone want this? I'm moving and I do not need this. I took it apart to build a hardtail. It should be a great build for a beater or loaner full suspension bike if you have parts laying around. 1999 K2 Bike 3000 Medium Includes Shimano LX front derailleur and square taper BB. The rear shock ... Read More »