Jamis 2000 Dakar Full Suspension Bike

4.3/5 (50 Reviews)
Weight : 26.75000 MSRP : $1830.00

mountain bike, front & rear suspension

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from British Coumbia

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    Great ride, very solid, long lasting components

Weaknesses:    Chain stay weak at horst link, however after 3 replacements I now have one that has been perfect for the last 2 1/5 years.

Bottom Line:
Excelent bike, very little maintenance, components last. I have riden this bike for 4 years and just replaced cassette & granny after 1000 hours, with 1 new chain per year. Hayes a little fussy, but after a few rides and slight adjustments, perfection. Susension is easy to dial in. Honestly I didn't think I'd have it this long, now I think I'll keep it, besides it knows the way to the trail head. Happy riding

Bike Setup:   Stock, except King headset, better tires & shimano SPD's

Submitted by Allan a Weekend Warrior from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2003

Strengths:    Light, quality components.

Weaknesses:    Twitchy steering, bad cable routing

Bottom Line:
My old Trek 800 rigid frame wasn't cutting it anymore. Big difference between Dakar Comp and Trek. I love it! Still getting used to touchy steering,(cheap Manitou shock causing this?), and had to zip tie a badly routed cable or two. Made it up a hill I'd never come close to making on my first try with Jamis. Quality makes a huge difference. Flying over roots and rough stuff is routine now without worrying about stacking. Look forward to learning to get the most out of this bike before I go even better.

Favorite Trail:   Hick Park

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   First "real" quality mountain bike. Still have Trek 800 Sport rigid.

Bike Setup:   All stock. Good stuff. Shimono Deore derailer and XT crankset, Titec stem, handle bars and seatpost, Tioga tires, WTB rims, parallax hubs

Submitted by Jim Kyryluk a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Everything!

Weaknesses:    Rear skewers, no locktite on small swingarm pivot.

Bottom Line:
Wicked ride right from the start! Love everything about the bike except for my rear hub slipping out under stress. Fixed with some Shimano LX skewers. Also the bolt from the small pivot behind the shock wiggled out and ovalized the cheap aluminum round thingy it was screwed into. Went to a welder guy I know and he cut me a piece of round steel and cut some threads into it. Put it together with blue loctite, hasn't come loose in a year. Sweet ride. Buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Ingolf

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   None, used to ride a Kona Fire Mountain hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Full XT XTR drivetrain, XTR v brakes, Monkey lite riser bar, Thompson post and stem, blah blah blah.

Submitted by kev karl a Racer from reno/tahoe

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Strengths:    Solid performer all around.

Weaknesses:    Same as others had noted. Rear skewer and rear bolts were coming loose. Easy remedy. Threw away stock SDG saddle.

Bottom Line:
Superior design and handling for the $$$, and not too heavy for xc riding. Potential is there to get yourself in trouble because the bike will absorb what you aim it at so you find yourself trying to play superman at greater speeds. Good thing for the one finger disc brake stoppies to bring your ego down to earth safely.

Favorite Trail:   tahoe's flume trail- nevada side

Purchased At:   backcountry-tahoe city

Bike Setup:   XT and XTR. Put XT chainrings on Hollowtech LX crank. Changed to a synthetic oils in fork and brakes. Mavic Cross-Link wheels

Submitted by Knobby a Racer from Georgai

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a one year update on my bike. It is the white Dakar Pro from 2000.

I have raced about 15 races on it including a 12hour. And trained hard on it for about a year. The bike handles great and I like the advantages it gives me. I have gotten the weight down to under 26 pounds with a SID SL,SPOX Wheels/and Eggbeater Pedals.

On the trail the bike is awesome. It lets you stay seated, it climbs awesome, and the geometry is perfect for XC racing. I love the control it gives me on the bumpy stuff, I can brake later and accelerate sooner.

The only issue I had was after about 10 months the rear end developed alot of slop, to the point that it could not hold the gear I put it in. I spent a lot of time trying to isolate the shifting problem and couldn't. However, I got my bushing kit replaced for 120 bucks, and it is like new.
So check your bushings often, make sure they are snug, loose ones wear faster. And if you ride hard, after about 10 months plan on replacing them.

Submitted by Jamie Crosby a Weekend Warrior from Manchester

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    Great all round bike. Climbs and descends really comfortably.

Weaknesses:    No real weaknesses to speak of, apart from the poor factory fitted Manitou SX-LT forks.

Bottom Line:
Great value for money. The bike has a better and much plusher feel than much more expensive bikes i have tried. Some componentry does leave a little to be desired, however with a few tweaks it rides great. Would have been better with a better rear shock. Although the Fox Float does its just quite adequately a lock out would be an advantage.

People looking for a comfortable all-day ride crossed with a bike that can be easily played with (moderate freeride), this is the one.

Favorite Trail:   Guisborough Forest

Purchased At:   Niel Walton Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialised FSR Elite; DDG Godfather

Bike Setup:   Mainly stock. XT rear mech and shifter and SID 100 fork upgrades

Submitted by Boogs a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Strengths:    Fox Float is pretty good, i like the longer stem, fork is okay, but needs dampening and needs to somehow get rid of the 1 inch sag (The Manitou SX-LT), umm components are decent

Weaknesses:    Seatpost sucks, replace it right away, it bent very easily. drivetrain could have been better

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for the money, the setup of the rear shock hardly steals any of your pedal power because of its location setup. All in all, its a great bike that I like to call a Cross country bike Gone Freeride (sort of, except with a little less suspension travel)

Favorite Trail:   Quarry

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V, Kona Bear

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Peter Miscio a Weekend Warrior from Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    Although it weighs in at 31.75 lbs. it still feels light. Fox Vanilla was set up perfectly, Rock Shox Judy TT work fine, never bottom out, Formula QR front and rear disc breaks, great tires, Shimano Deore...should I go on? Oh yeah, it looks awsome!

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I could see are the standard pedals that come with strapped toe clips.

Bottom Line:
Anyone who has something negative to say about this bike or that it's not worth the money should have their heads examined. Name one bike with name brand parts like this bike at this price! That's all I need to say.

Favorite Trail:   Mont Tremblant

Purchased At:   Cupolo Sports

Bike Setup:   Bike was set up perfectly for my body and weight.

Submitted by Booch a Downhiller from Upstate New York

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Strengths:    The bike just flat out rips. For the price and the components you can't go wrong. I got a hell of a deal on the price but even if you didn't its still worth every penny.

Weaknesses:    I had the same small problems that others have written in about.....the rear scewer came loose and i have had a few screws in the linkage back out on me. With any upgrade in scewer and some locktight, problem solved.

Bottom Line:
Once you go to disk brakes there is no going back. The few little problems i had were easily solved. I have ridden a schwinn 4-banger with almost identicle components which cost easily $500 more than the Jamis. This bike can handle anything you point it at. I just wish there was a Jamis dealer closer to my new residence.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Gore Mtn.

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn 4-banger, Gary Fisher Sugar 3

Bike Setup:   All factory except the new rear scewer

Submitted by Bijan Yeganegi a Racer from Irvine CA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Good suspention system

Weaknesses:    Weak Linkage. Bushings are badly designed. Welds are not Inspected Correctly. Horrible Tubing. Bad Paint (Yellow ended up to be a light orange and only 1 layer thick).

Bottom Line:
PIECE OF CRAP! Jamis did notinspect their Welds. Right Before a race, on a practice run, a endo'd into the back of a jump and Snapped the Headube off at the Welding. Inside the Tubing was nasty black dirty welds. This was the Smallest Jump and softest landing. My Old Tazer would have just gone OTB. The worst part? No Point for that round of the race... no frame for 4 weeks and Jamis will only send me the same frame back. Now i have to ride the new frame knowing it will brake AND.... here is the Kicker... i Broke my frame right infront of Joe Lansing of Team Profile and April Lawyer (GOD SHE IS HOT!) of Team Maxxis/Intense. Dont buy this frame unless you are doing Snail's pace XC Riding. Email me with any questions or to see pictures.

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear Slalom

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   S-Works Slalom, Intense Tazer, Storm Team DS

Bike Setup:   Psylo SL, Mr. Dirt 36T-40T Chain Guide, DeeMax Wheels, Gremica System 8's Azonic Bars/Stem. XTR Shifter/Cables/Housing/Rear Der., Easton Carbon Seat Post Titec Berzerker DH Seat, AC Holeshot Chainring. $

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Calgary Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    basicly everything, its a rare bike i have yet to see another one around. climbs great for the weight. my 19 incher works well for anything, racing, XC, mild downhill. great bike

Weaknesses:    the fork is crap i wish i could have traded it in when i bought the bike. i hate the fork it leaks oil, it bottoms out super easy and it flexes badly. the seat and seat post are also bad, they bent horribly after 1 crash.

Bottom Line:
it would get a 5 except for the manitou SX LT fork. also i've had problems with the titec seat post and the sdg bel-air seat. other then that its a great bike

Purchased At:   single track cycle

Bike Setup:   stock except for a sun rhyno rear rim and specialized Mt. Baldy pro rear tyre.

Submitted by robsta mobsta a Weekend Warrior from solco,ca

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    Burly, solid feel in the roots and rocks.
Suspension feels plush.
Steel sucks up the vibrations.

Weaknesses:    Stem sucks.
The fork is a bit on the flexy side.

Bottom Line:
This bike feels good to mob on the S-track, climbs good, somewhat slow in the climbs(Prob. the human factor). No bobbing. The susp. feels solid and sucks up the terrain that would otherwise slow you down. People dog on the brakes (MG-1 Formula's) in the Disc brake rev. section, but if you spend the time to dial in the adjustment they seem to work well with the stock pads. I do plan on replacing the stem with a 90mm 0 deg rise kalloy, adding BP-Stealth Carbon Risers and a BP-Stealth Carbon seat post. This should reduce the 32.5 Lbs a small amount. Bike seems pretty responsive and holds a line through the rough stuff.
For now I will give it a five chili rating because it's a fun bike that seems rather forgiving and doesn't require too much work to keep where you want it. I recommend for anyone who wants a bike that is fun to ride and doesn't want to break the bank. Not North Shore material but it will get you through most terrain within the resonable mechanical limits of the parts spec. If I have any future problems I will repost.

Favorite Trail:   rockville park

Purchased At:   secret shop

Similar Products Used:   Sim. to FS, but more solid.

Bike Setup:   STOCK 2000.5 Sport, for now.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Vestal, NY

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Strengths:    Strong frame, decent fork, Fox Float

Weaknesses:    Titec seatpost

Bottom Line:
As a trail bike, or even a beginner XC racer (which i am). I have ridden this bike very hard and have not had any problems, except for the Titec seatpost, which i bent terribly in 2 months. This bike is really worth the money and i would have probobly bought it for $1500 if i had to.

Favorite Trail:   Brickyard

Similar Products Used:   Dakar Sport, Cannondale F2000sl

Bike Setup:   Stock except for XT shifters, tires, grips, barends, thompson seatpost

Submitted by Jesse a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, Tn

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Strengths:    climbs great, lots of travel(well atleast for me)

Weaknesses:    seems to leak air, heavy but that is because of components i put on it

Bottom Line:
When I got this bike I didn't expect my uphill riding to get better but on steep technical spots with rock drop ledges it just grabs and goes. One problem that i'm having is that now that I have this frame my front RS Judy XC just seems pathetic(as well as really freakin heavy) One thing to be careful of is if you are just buying the frame to make sure you don't end up with a 30+ lb bike.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   mtbr.com classifieds

Similar Products Used:   tested santa cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   transplanted parts from GT backwoods when i bought the frame

Submitted by Patrick Brady a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    Plenty to Say Here: Excellent cockpit angle/ride angle (it's comfortable). The bike shifts through the XTR and LX derailleurs quickly and the rapidfire shifters make it similar to blasting a few rounds out of my .22 Marlin semiauto. With the Hayes hydraulics, I can come a 30-foot stop at 20mph with just my middle fingers squeezing the levers. The bike handles like a dream with the wide Titec Hell-Bent bars (I had mine narrowed for tree-riding). The whole Dakar Expert package in general is awesome: stunning team blue/team yellow frame, yellow Hutchinson Alligators, yellow-ringed WTB grips, and the oh-so-comfortable SDG Comp Bel-Air saddle in a very flattering team blue/team yellow color scheme; in other words, LOOK AT ME! This bike climbs, downhills, and stuns onlookers like no other bike for the money.

Weaknesses:    None (really)

Bottom Line:
If you shop around like I did prior to buying this rig, you probably won't find anything even close to this mean-machine for under $2,000, and even then, it may or may not have Hayes disk brakes (which are a great feature, trust me). The only other bike out there that compares is the Giant XTC NRS with dual Hayes; I believe it retails for $1800. When I got my Dakar Expert out of the dealership and rode it the 1 point some-odd miles home, I thought to myself: "Dang! How'd I get a bike this !@#&^*$ sweet for fifteen hundred dollars?" If you're serious about riding and want to spend big money one a "freeride" (isn't all riding freeriding?) full suspension bicycle with the stopping power of a BMW motorcycle, you have to check out the Jamis Dakar Expert.

Favorite Trail:   Compression (Kincaid Park, AK)

Purchased At:   The Motorcycle Shop