Jamis 2000 Dakar Pro Full Suspension Bike

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 26.75000 MSRP : $1830.00

mountain bike, front & rear suspension

Submitted by Knobby a Racer from Georgai

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a one year update on my bike. It is the white Dakar Pro from 2000.

I have raced about 15 races on it including a 12hour. And trained hard on it for about a year. The bike handles great and I like the advantages it gives me. I have gotten the weight down to under 26 pounds with a SID SL,SPOX Wheels/and Eggbeater Pedals.

On the trail the bike is awesome. It lets you stay seated, it climbs awesome, and the geometry is perfect for XC racing. I love the control it gives me on the bumpy stuff, I can brake later and accelerate sooner.

The only issue I had was after about 10 months the rear end developed alot of slop, to the point that it could not hold the gear I put it in. I spent a lot of time trying to isolate the shifting problem and couldn't. However, I got my bushing kit replaced for 120 bucks, and it is like new.
So check your bushings often, make sure they are snug, loose ones wear faster. And if you ride hard, after about 10 months plan on replacing them.

Submitted by Jesse a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, Tn

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Strengths:    climbs great, lots of travel(well atleast for me)

Weaknesses:    seems to leak air, heavy but that is because of components i put on it

Bottom Line:
When I got this bike I didn't expect my uphill riding to get better but on steep technical spots with rock drop ledges it just grabs and goes. One problem that i'm having is that now that I have this frame my front RS Judy XC just seems pathetic(as well as really freakin heavy) One thing to be careful of is if you are just buying the frame to make sure you don't end up with a 30+ lb bike.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   mtbr.com classifieds

Similar Products Used:   tested santa cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   transplanted parts from GT backwoods when i bought the frame

Submitted by knobby a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent Suspension, Solid Frame expecially around BB. Raceable.

Weaknesses:    Dealer???? None to be found, but you can deal with Jamis directly.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sooo sweet, I used to have a 97 Dakar, never knew what I was missing, the improvement from the 97 frame to the 00 frame is remarkable. The suspension is vastly more active and firm under power making the bike much quicker. I've ridden a Sugar, but the short stiff travel (2.5 vs 3.5 on the Jamis) and the absense of bushings on the rear chain stays makes that bike more firm than I wanted. The Jamis sucks up the hits much better but still remains firm enough to be a cross country racer. My bike comes in at about 26.5 pounds which I will trim even more by upgrading tubeless rims/tires. The jamis has huge triangular downtube and nice beefy welds around the BB making even clydesdales like me (215) feel confident on the bike.

I think this bike can compete with any high end or custom FS XC racer. For the money, the Dakar Pro is absolutely the best deal going. It is a serious bike that is often overlooked because they have Jamis doesn't market as much and have figured out how to make thier bikes effeceintly and less expensively.

Also, you like to have a good feeling about the company when buying a bike. Let me assure you the makers of Jamis BIkes will treat you very good. I received my 2k frame for free as a replacement to a 97 frame that had problems with the bushings. Free of charge, no red tape, no RMA, they just asked me for my address and sent it. It doesn't get any better than that.

You can buy a Jamis and feel smart for doing it, you saved money, and you got an excellent bike that will last you forever and a company that will make sure it does.

Wow, this sounds like an ad.

Similar Products Used:   97 Jamis, Sugar, Mantra(phht),

Bike Setup:   2K 19" Dakar, Truvative Cranks, SID SL, Crosslink Wheels, 9sp XTw/ SRAM Attack Shifter. 26.5 lb.

Submitted by Pete from MASS

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2000

Strengths:    light, very little peddle bobbing, good components for the price, and the Bel Air SDG saddle (best seat I have ever sat on)

Weaknesses:    Manitou Mars C being recalled, not Jamis fault

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for climbing hills, the lightness and 9 speed gearing helps. Tires grip the trail well. It's my first time with a air shocks, love the adjustable Fox FloatR. I have ridden this bike fast and hard and it handles very well, but I have not ridden very technical stuff yet because of the front shock.

The front shock problem. Answer told me on very hard impacts the handle bar and front wheel may turn different directions. It is a easy fix, Answer is shipping me a plug that is hammered into the shock from the wheel side, this helps connect the fork to the frame.

My only complaint is with the Jamis bike dealer. He should have know about the Manitou Mars C recall and it should have been fixed before I recieved the bike. I informed him of the recall.

My overall rating is a 4 because of the dealer, it would have been a 5 otherwise.

Favorite Trail:   single track, never asphalt

Similar Products Used:   MongoosePro NX 8-1 (old bike, see 99 review), Suger 2 (demo)

Bike Setup:   All stock except all XT drivetrain (hate SRAM grip shifters), and added toothfairy.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL,

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2000

Strengths:    Very light, great handler. The frame hasn't loosened up at all and the fox float R takes abuse. The Mars C front shocks are great -- completely ajustable and light. The bike comes stock with the new Avid Mag brakes -- they are very light and stop on a dime.

Weaknesses:    Starting to notice a squeek in the frame. Some grease should do the trick. Very difficult to find a Jamis dealer in my area -- took 2 months to find order the bike. Once it was ordered it came in 4 days.

Bottom Line:
Great bike -- feel like I can take anything on at any speed. The frame works great -- once you dial it in, the climbs almost feel like a hardtail. The downhills are great and the fox float absorbs very well -- I have ridden it pretty hard and have not bottomed the shock out. Buy one check it out if you have the chance. I think this bike would be suitable for riders of a little higher caliber. It is so light (for a full suspension) that it can get away from you easily if your not used to the speed. On the steep climbs, you really have to be aware of your riding position over the seat to keep the grip and eliminate frame bounce. It takes a little getting used to but well worth the effort