Jamis 1999 Dakar Full Suspension Bike

4.11/5 (79 Reviews)

1999 Jamis Dakar Sport, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 381R, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Alex P from Hingham, MA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    The disc brakes were a pleasant surprise, as was the xtr rear derailler. The tires are good, but they aren't stock.

Weaknesses:    the fork is simply not very good. the rear shock works well but it is just plain fox float, not rlc or rl. The lx front derailer, however, is a never ending source of problems... sometimes it takes a couple minutes to switch, sometimes it just doesn't switch the gears at all and i switch the gear manually.

Bottom Line:
I had some trouble the with the chain and derailler hanger early on but no trouble since, even after downhilling with it at killingon. climbs as well as it should (and it should climb well). I was dee-lighted by the price for this all around great bike. Between 3 and 4 chilis overall, 5 chilis for value.

Favorite Trail:   Wompatuck state park

Purchased At:   the bike shop at killington, vt

Similar Products Used:   demoed trek fuel, g.f. sugar, cannondale jekyll

Bike Setup:   manitou x-vert fork, fox float shock, mavic rear rim, wtb front rim, kenda front tire, irc rear tire, titec seatpost, trans-x seatpost clamp, wtb speed disc xc front hub, shimano xt rear hub, syntace stem, syntace handlebar, wtb grips, hayes hydraulic disc brakes, aheadset headset, xtr rear derailer, lx front derailer, lx cranks, ???unknown flat pedals...unknown cassette???, sdg saddle, sram chain, shimano mega 9 components on all other drivetrain pieces.

Submitted by jeff Normand a Weekend Warrior from Orono, Maine

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    I dont even notice that the bike weighs 32 pounds, and I dont really care. This bike is a great buy.

Weaknesses:    #1 is the bushings, they wear out in a half, to a year
#2 is the formula disc brakes, there loud and they break easily, as ive noticed

Bottom Line:
This is one hell of a deal, buy this bike. Dont ride without brakes, I went off a 4 foot drop going to slow and I ended up in the emergency room with a chest contusion and a brused left kidney. It hurts like hell when you land head first into the ground, but ill be jumpin that drop off soon when I recover, and when my bike does to. :)

Favorite Trail:   heart attack hill

Purchased At:   out of uncle henrys

Similar Products Used:   this is my first full suspension

Bike Setup:   I replaced the front fork with marazochi bomber marathon s, and now new disc brakes

Submitted by huck fin a Cross Country Rider from Louisville

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap price. Durable frame. Steel baby, so forgiving and stable in the air. Decent components for money. Needs upgrades though.

Weaknesses:    For the price it's hard to complain about anything. I wish there was a replaceable rear d. hanger. No disc tabs.

Bottom Line:
For the price you will not find a much more durable, comfortable, versitle xc bike. I have upgraded everything except the frame. This bike took me from a beginner xc to a fairly decent xc/freerider. I ve done everything from 15 foot gap jumps, 4 foot drops to epic all day xc. It climbs well, decends well, jumps well. Everything. I plan on riding it till the wheels fall off.

Favorite Trail:   fort duff.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher sugar, specialized fsr.

Bike Setup:   Manitou xvert, xt components, titec cockpit, sun rims

Submitted by jim a Weekend Warrior from n.evansn.y.14112

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Strengths:    price weight reputation

Weaknesses:    sqweeky pivots

Bottom Line:
my 15" bike is a XC rockit this bike climbs better then any hardtail I have ever owned. It handles western N.Y. single track like it was made just for the north east woods. I just got back from mt. snow and it did ok on some really tough down hill stuff though it really is more cross country spacific.there was some really rocky and twisty xc trails there and the team really did better then well. I love this bike 5 flames..

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   eric cycle works Hburg-n.y.

Similar Products Used:   gt hard tail cannondal hardtail gt I drive

Bike Setup:   full xt 8 spd specialized stout wheels , woodman carbon post controltech stem hellbent 1" riseer bar

Submitted by ChefPaul a Cross Country Rider from Telluride Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Strengths:    Bike is a fairly light xc ride. This is not a free ride bike in any way shape or form, but does take to the long trail ride nicely.

Weaknesses:    Noisy BB and crank areas.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money. Must be vigilent about maintenance and not be jumping off of cars! Will treat you right on the long days ride.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive 2.0 Cannondale Jekyll 800 KHS fxt pro

Bike Setup:   Sram9.0, Avid mechanical, ManitouSXR, Strongarm2 cranks

Submitted by Fox a Weekend Warrior from Illinois

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2002

Strengths:    Ok XC bike. Handles very well in tight places. Very good value!

Weaknesses:    The frame is very weak! Bushings need I say more! BB noise

Bottom Line:
Ok XC bike is not made for alot of jumping. Very hard to make a sub 25 pound complete bike. Bushings suck ass!!!need sealed bearings. BB has a creaking noise that has just gotten worse over time.I love to jump my bikes and out of all I've owned this one is not for jumping but is an all around good trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   GT Aggressor,Cannondale Jakell,GT I-Drive 2.0

Bike Setup:   "99" Dakar Pro,All XT drive-train,Mavic 317 disc rims W/ XT hubes,Deore mech disc brakes,2.1 WTB velociraptor tires,Marzocchi X-fly 100 fork

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    has great rear shock and overall great frame, good deal for the money

Weaknesses:    no weakness this bike kicks

Bottom Line:
If your a type of rider who wants the best bike for the money go with Jamis. Great Bikes!!! Have rode this bike hard for 1 year and no problems

Favorite Trail:   Hunters Creek

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi, GT, and Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Marzoochi Z-3 fork and evrything else is shimono LX

Submitted by Richard T a Cross Country Rider from Cincinati

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2001

Strengths:    This bike has no induced bobbing probably because I took the coil shock off and put a cane creek ad12 on "great shock" The frame is also very rugged, I beat the piss out of it for a year and the only thing that happened was that I bent the rear hanger when I stick got caught in the wheel and pulled the derailer into it. This bike climbs like a friggin monkey and decends almost as well as my sugar. I managed to get the weight of this bike down to an impressive 23lbs, but at a cost. This is a great frame for the money. It handles very well, even with the coil shock. This bike also looks really good, especially with the Z1 X- Fly to compliment it.

Weaknesses:    Jamis customer support really sucks! I bent a rear hanger, I searched for a hanger at bike shops in 8 states. They all called Jamis and Jamis gave them a line of crap. It was nearly two months before I got a hanger. I think that jamis makes these as needed. Also, as someone else has mentioned, the bushing bolts do loosen. I put lock-tite on mine. This is a very nice bike, but the geomentry is not quite right for me. When I built this bike, I was hoping that it was going to be THE BIKE. It needs a lower center of gravity. There are also potential problems with chain suck. However, chainsuck normally is caused because the bike is not tuned or the rear shock is not properly tuned to your weight. A properly tuned bike and shock vertually eliminates chain suck. Just so I don't get critisized, chain suck can occur on big drops when the rear shock bottoms out.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is a great frame that could use a couple of minor improvements. Then again what doesn't. Like a new pair of pants, you've got to try it on before you really know that it fits. I let my friend ride this bike and it fits him much better than it does me. He loves this bike. I get a lot of compliments on this bike. It climbs as well as my suger, but does not decend as well. I would reccomend this frame for anyone that wants to put together a good bike that is capable of keeping up with the best. Once again, it climbs as well as my sugar2 and that in itself should say something about this bike

Purchased At:   jensonusa /frame only

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar

Bike Setup:   All XT, Sun Sub IV Rims, Shimano 868 pedals, Tompson Ti seat post, Tompson Ti handlebar, Titec Ti Stem, Stella Italia TI seat, Z1-X-Fly front fork, Cane creek AD12 rear shock. Panaracer Trailblaster tires. LP composite bar ends.

Submitted by Alastair White a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    Bought the 97 Team issue frame - loved the ride, kept blowing the shock, and eventually destroyed the rear triangle. Jamis replaced with 98 Pro, which has been a bomber, free-trail-ride bike since.

Weaknesses:    Bushings. Bushings. Bushings. Even with careful maintenance, the pivots have less than 1yr of freq riding before total uselessness.. However am replacing and await the return of Dakar!

Bottom Line:
My bike is fat.. XC/Trail/Freeride (if you gots da skills with 4") Jamis is pretty dope.. Can't wat to add a SC Bullitt to my 'stable'

P.S. - Iron horse hardtails are harsh! 20" 97 ARS with WB Judy SL 80mm, XTR 98 cranks & BB, Kore Elite 25deg/120mm Stem - u want it, email! Good shape, but Judys are noodle forks (spec 95!)

Favorite Trail:   Van Cortlandt tread loop

Purchased At:   Bike Junkie, Bethpage NY

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element, Specialised FSR-Enduro

Bike Setup:   Black Elite 80/100 fork, XTR 95 Cranks & BB W/ FSA 36T bash ring, 98 XTR Derailleurs, Brakes, Shift/Brake levers. 517/14g/Ringle SDB F, Rhyno Lyte/14g/Ringle SD8 R, Azonic flats, Answer Hyperlite bars, Azonic 75mm Shorty stem, Cane Creek headset, SDG 7000 Seat, generic chromoly post (keep destroying alum), FSA Brake booster (R), Panaracer Fire DH Pro 2.3 tires

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Los Gatos C.A

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Strengths:    good trail bike

Weaknesses:    SERVICE and bushings

Bottom Line:
THis bike is ok but not enough travel
THE SERVICE sucks jamis is a horrible company i would never buy from them again
a bushing fell out and they couldnt order one and no one replied to my messages

Similar Products Used:   alot

Bike Setup:   free-ride

Submitted by Adam symonds a Downhiller from wales

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Strengths:    soft suspension,great for quick single track,good for jumping

Weaknesses:    mine snapped on the rear triangle,bushings wear out and bike wobbles after this

Bottom Line:
good bike,not to be pushed to the limits of street,downhill
because of the weak frame as its only intended for xc mainly,horrible orange colour and crappy bushings,good rear shock though because its a fox vanilla,apart from that i sold mine for something better.

Favorite Trail:   cod y brenin

Purchased At:   plush cycles

Similar Products Used:   giant atx 980, gt lts

Bike Setup:   rst 461 dh,acor shorty stem,shimano stx-rc brakes,deore cranks,tioga tires,titec saddle

Submitted by Dave Retallic a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Strengths:    rides like a hardtail, great jump bike

Weaknesses:    weak wheels

Bottom Line:
this is such a sweet bike that you can do almost anything on it doesn't ride like a full sus more like a hard tail but tracks well and takes everything in its stride including some pretty stupid jumps i've attempted (one of which wrote off the back wheel but the frame seems fine)
good bike all round, something for everyone.

Favorite Trail:   farnham bmx track

Purchased At:   vail

Similar Products Used:   la la la

Bike Setup:   15" frame shorter stem, chain device, psylo xc set to max travel

Submitted by Owen a Weekend Warrior from Va Beach

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Strengths:    brakes and comfort - disc brakes @$549.00 US - TO GOOD TO BE TRUE

Weaknesses:    TOOK 2 1/2 WEEKS TO ARRIVE - BUT WAS SET UP WELL - RODE IT THAT DAY AND IT WAS SET UP PERFECTLY - GOOD JOB BLOWOUT

Bottom Line:
this is a real deal @549 us dollars delivered to the door- the bike is very comfy on downhills and really good at climbing - the 32 lbs is not noticeable to me. the gears so far have worked fine and gone up any hill that i could stay on the bike W/o it coming up and over - and that is just rider error - love the bike, less maintenance than the klein - imagine that - the folks at bicycleblowout were very professional in the setup and the shipping procedure - for the $$$$ couldn't pass it up - love it so will give 4 flamers - only because i'm not qualified to give 5'ers to anything yet - would give 5 to blowout bicycles for setup - i'm a 170 lb 5'8' 52 y.o.male that is not jumping like the kids, just mid level sgl track rides - love the comfort even on the street if that is all i can do that day (ride every day some where around 3 plus mi) and more most of the time

Favorite Trail:   any sgl trak

Purchased At:   www.blowoutbicycles.com

Similar Products Used:   KLEIN

Bike Setup:   STOCK - ALL THE WAY

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Strengths:    Beefy, Overbuilt, Strong Frame
Good Handling

Weaknesses:    Pivots--do not stand the test of time

Bottom Line:
I have beaten on this bike like King Kong. I am a Clydesdale and when I ride light, where I ride, I pound equipment. (NEVER, EVER loan me your bike.) I am surprised by how the frame has held up. This bike has taken a serious beating over rocky, steep, nasty terrain several days a week. I have been merciless. The whole drive train has been replaced--twice. I am on my third wheelset. Not one complaint about the frame except this--the chainstay pivots above the dropouts have a tendency to loosen over time. Watch them like a hawk. I blew out one, the other keeps loosening up. LBS has been a big help keeping that together, then again, they ought to considering all the parts I'm buying. Buy if you are looking for a great low end value that will outlast all it's parts. Don't buy if you are looking for a top end racer.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Elbow, Mount Diablo