Jamis 1999 Dakar Sport Full Suspension Bike

4.15/5 (20 Reviews)

1999 Jamis Dakar Sport, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 381R, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by jeff Normand a Weekend Warrior from Orono, Maine

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    I dont even notice that the bike weighs 32 pounds, and I dont really care. This bike is a great buy.

Weaknesses:    #1 is the bushings, they wear out in a half, to a year
#2 is the formula disc brakes, there loud and they break easily, as ive noticed

Bottom Line:
This is one hell of a deal, buy this bike. Dont ride without brakes, I went off a 4 foot drop going to slow and I ended up in the emergency room with a chest contusion and a brused left kidney. It hurts like hell when you land head first into the ground, but ill be jumpin that drop off soon when I recover, and when my bike does to. :)

Favorite Trail:   heart attack hill

Purchased At:   out of uncle henrys

Similar Products Used:   this is my first full suspension

Bike Setup:   I replaced the front fork with marazochi bomber marathon s, and now new disc brakes

Submitted by huck fin a Cross Country Rider from Louisville

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap price. Durable frame. Steel baby, so forgiving and stable in the air. Decent components for money. Needs upgrades though.

Weaknesses:    For the price it's hard to complain about anything. I wish there was a replaceable rear d. hanger. No disc tabs.

Bottom Line:
For the price you will not find a much more durable, comfortable, versitle xc bike. I have upgraded everything except the frame. This bike took me from a beginner xc to a fairly decent xc/freerider. I ve done everything from 15 foot gap jumps, 4 foot drops to epic all day xc. It climbs well, decends well, jumps well. Everything. I plan on riding it till the wheels fall off.

Favorite Trail:   fort duff.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher sugar, specialized fsr.

Bike Setup:   Manitou xvert, xt components, titec cockpit, sun rims

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    has great rear shock and overall great frame, good deal for the money

Weaknesses:    no weakness this bike kicks

Bottom Line:
If your a type of rider who wants the best bike for the money go with Jamis. Great Bikes!!! Have rode this bike hard for 1 year and no problems

Favorite Trail:   Hunters Creek

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi, GT, and Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Marzoochi Z-3 fork and evrything else is shimono LX

Submitted by Adam symonds a Downhiller from wales

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Strengths:    soft suspension,great for quick single track,good for jumping

Weaknesses:    mine snapped on the rear triangle,bushings wear out and bike wobbles after this

Bottom Line:
good bike,not to be pushed to the limits of street,downhill
because of the weak frame as its only intended for xc mainly,horrible orange colour and crappy bushings,good rear shock though because its a fox vanilla,apart from that i sold mine for something better.

Favorite Trail:   cod y brenin

Purchased At:   plush cycles

Similar Products Used:   giant atx 980, gt lts

Bike Setup:   rst 461 dh,acor shorty stem,shimano stx-rc brakes,deore cranks,tioga tires,titec saddle

Submitted by Dave Retallic a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Strengths:    rides like a hardtail, great jump bike

Weaknesses:    weak wheels

Bottom Line:
this is such a sweet bike that you can do almost anything on it doesn't ride like a full sus more like a hard tail but tracks well and takes everything in its stride including some pretty stupid jumps i've attempted (one of which wrote off the back wheel but the frame seems fine)
good bike all round, something for everyone.

Favorite Trail:   farnham bmx track

Purchased At:   vail

Similar Products Used:   la la la

Bike Setup:   15" frame shorter stem, chain device, psylo xc set to max travel

Submitted by Owen a Weekend Warrior from Va Beach

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Strengths:    brakes and comfort - disc brakes @$549.00 US - TO GOOD TO BE TRUE

Weaknesses:    TOOK 2 1/2 WEEKS TO ARRIVE - BUT WAS SET UP WELL - RODE IT THAT DAY AND IT WAS SET UP PERFECTLY - GOOD JOB BLOWOUT

Bottom Line:
this is a real deal @549 us dollars delivered to the door- the bike is very comfy on downhills and really good at climbing - the 32 lbs is not noticeable to me. the gears so far have worked fine and gone up any hill that i could stay on the bike W/o it coming up and over - and that is just rider error - love the bike, less maintenance than the klein - imagine that - the folks at bicycleblowout were very professional in the setup and the shipping procedure - for the $$$$ couldn't pass it up - love it so will give 4 flamers - only because i'm not qualified to give 5'ers to anything yet - would give 5 to blowout bicycles for setup - i'm a 170 lb 5'8' 52 y.o.male that is not jumping like the kids, just mid level sgl track rides - love the comfort even on the street if that is all i can do that day (ride every day some where around 3 plus mi) and more most of the time

Favorite Trail:   any sgl trak

Purchased At:   www.blowoutbicycles.com

Similar Products Used:   KLEIN

Bike Setup:   STOCK - ALL THE WAY

Submitted by Brian Gray a Weekend Warrior from Orange, CA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Strengths:    Good components, good XC frame design and PRICE.

Weaknesses:    Weak Frame, and no customer support.

Bottom Line:
The Jamis Dakar Sport is a good beginner FS bike. For the price it comes with quality components. No complaints about the components. My complaint is that the frame has broken twice in the past year at the same location. The break occurs where the rear wheel hanger is attached to the rear triangle. The first frame was sent back to Jamis under warranty by the Bike Co.(They did not even sell me the bike!)since the bike shop that sold it to me went under. When the second frame broke, The Bike Co. could not send the frame back because they were no longer a authorized seller. So I ask Jamis for help. No responce... NONE! Now I am stuck with a broken frame. My advice, don't buy Jamis because they don't stand behind their product! Nuff said.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail in Orange County

Purchased At:   Irvine Bike Source (Out of Business)

Bike Setup:   LX drivetrain, no-name brakes and RST 381 Fork

Submitted by Mike from S.Florida

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2001

Strengths:    price, a great f/s climber, just-right-not-too-kush rear end, chromo strength....did I say price already?

Weaknesses:    potential pivot bushings replacement issues

Bottom Line:
Price mentioned above $200 was frame only.....

I was hesitant going with the Dakar after watching a riding buddy go through a few sets of bushings on the rear pivots. But, after I saw Jamis finally handle problem and step up to the plate, I was sold.

I was also hesitant to go with this model because of the chromo-frame & weight considerations. Let me tell you...this bike doesn't ride heavy AT ALL. I haven't had it officially weighed, but from public opinion(others I ride with who have 25lb santa cruz's, and Kona's) & with my personal set-up, mine is aroung 28-30lbs. (word of advice-change out the stock BB!). They are actually surprised at how light it actually turned out in the end product.

If you are coming off a hardtail like I did, you'll be really happy with it's climbing ability and overall handling. This thing climbs like an animal! I'm simply amazed!

As far as the "bob-factor". VERY minimal. In my opinion, it doesn't interfere with the normal charactaristics at all. VERY comfortable ride. I personally will be upgrading the rear shock soon though. I just want to have a little more control over the fine tuning of the rear. BTW, I'm about 190 lbs.

BUY IT IF:...(1)if you are on a budget, (2)Don't want to wait around for the xtra cash for a top-line f/s bike, (3)Want to live by oath "Steel is real" (4)Don't mind a little turn of the wrench every now & then, maybe even a visit to the local shop for replacement bushings. (5)weigh less than 190lbs.

DON'T BUY IT IF...(1)You are expecting a lightweight XC racer, (2)Want a maintenance-free rear suspension (3)carry your bike alot (4)you're a clydesdale class rider

Bottom line: for the price it's a deal you can't pass up, PLUS after witnessing the Jamis customer service in action, it even makes it an even better value for me. Time will only tell with the bushings issue. I just have to keep and eye on them and keep em torqued down properly. If it turns out to be a bomb in the end, heck I only spent $200 bucks on the frame. I move on.....

THANKS jensonusa.com!

Purchased At:   www.jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   none...this is my first owned f/s bike

Bike Setup:   All XT (shifters, ft&rr derailluers, BB, crankset, brakes), Avid levers, WTB-Ti saddle, MAvic 519's w/specialized stout sealed bearing hubs, 2001 JUDY SL, cane creek HS, Time pedals, Titec helbent bars.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford, MA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    This thing has got everything. Great Frame for the $$$. so far no complaints really. Its awesome for going off some big drops, absoloutley cannot do better for the money.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy on climbs. I used to have a hardtail, so maybe its just me but i belive it to be a little heavier. There's some creaking, but i think its just the cables.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome for the cash, im not saying its just a cheap bike to tide you over till you can get some more $$$ to buy a better frame. It is truly an awesome frame, it is very versitile in that it can go XC, DH or urban assault. Bottom Line BUY THIS F*CKIN FRAME!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Ashland State Park

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   None, i used to have a peice of deuce mongoose hardtail frame.

Bike Setup:   Rock shox Judy XC 2000 shock, cane creek levers, hell bent bar, *Jamis Frame*, bontrager mustang asym wheelset, xt brakes, salsa tres zonas seat, bontrager seatpost, icon crank, shimano dx pedals(also great), and lx shifters

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Hellertown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    Good value, nice style.

Weaknesses:    Too many pivots.

Bottom Line:
I raved the bike for its nice feel and excellent climbing, but I do not like the multitude of pivots and bushings. I am a very aggressive 235 pounder that went through three sets of rear brass bushings and another set of main bushings. The rear of the Horst design pivot has a bolt with a bushing that will last no more than two rides for me. The bolt pushes into the bushing and suddenly there is a clunking and looseness in the rear. I am currently trying to have someone make me harder bushings that will last longer. If you are a heavier, more aggressive rider who likes the North East with all its rocks, don't get this one. Too much maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Snake

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   None, First FS. Only hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Mars. XT/LX mainly. Except rear freehub. XT/LX kept blowing up. I am riding a Acera (low-end) until it blows (lasts much longer than XT/LX).

Submitted by Ed Bateson a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    Good price, good all round parts.

Weaknesses:    The rear swing-arm snapped on one tube near the disc brake after no serious strain, so i had to get a new one. Appart from that it is a really good bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike goes well on all terrain, it was probably my fault that mine snapped. It is also really easy to set up for your own type of riding

Favorite Trail:   Nantmawr quarry

Purchased At:   Local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Circuit dual frame

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox 2001 forks, Formula mechanical Disc's, Fox Vanilla rear shock, Shimano gears/shifters, Mavic D321 on hope bulbs

Submitted by Ken Sechler a Cross Country Rider from Frederick, MD

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    Low price, great in technical terrain and at speed. No-bob climbing.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy

Bottom Line:
This review is for the frame only. I got this bike on closeout from Jenson USA and built it with some "leftover" components that were taking up space.

This bike isn't for racing it is for fun. It climbs much better than a bike this heavy should. The steering is just a tad slower than I prefer probably because of the weight, but not too bad.

I'm a sport racer and kind of a hardtail snob so I was prepared to be disappointed with this bike. The fact is, though, that I was able to hop on this bike and go. I ride my usual technical trails and clean log crossings and rock gardens with ease. Climbs are a little slower and descents a little faster.

For the price it is hard to beat this bike. Don't expect a featherweight cross-country bike. This bike is a durable every-day type machine. I call mine "the tank" and I think that about sums it up.

Favorite Trail:   Frederick Watershed -blue trail

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   None - This is my first FS bike

Bike Setup:   RST Rear shock, '97 Manitou FS fork, 7spd XT drivetrain, mavic 221's, LX V-brakes

Submitted by Michael Cramer a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2000

Strengths:    Low price, you get a lot of bike for your money with Jamis.

Weaknesses:    My bike tends to need a lot of TLC. No failures yet, it just needs to be cleaned, lubed and adjusted just right for it to function properly. Maybe just my bike, maybe just me. I don't know as I'm new to this sport.

Bottom Line:
I got my bike used from ebay and it's actually a 98' model but it had never been set up. Not sure of the history of this model but the current sport model is steel and mine is alluminum so I don't have the weight problem everyone else complains of. The disc brakes on the current model don't help in the weight department either. Great bike for the money, I love it. I think the frame design is top notch. I also love the fact that I still haven't seen another Jamis on any of the trails I ride.

Favorite Trail:   All Michigan Singletrack

Bike Setup:   Stock except for racing saddle, clipless pedals and bar ends.

Submitted by Chris Edwards a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Strengths:    well! if i was to list all of it's srengths this page would not fit on your computer! SUPERB !this is the only word to describe this bike!

Weaknesses:    must leave blanc, it has non!

Bottom Line:
IT'S SIMPLY THE BEST! A great first full sus bike. and the double butted frame is really light and manouverable!

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares to it. It's just too good!

Bike Setup:   I left it as it was, no room for improvement!

Submitted by Ed from Flagstaff AZ

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Strengths:    great suspension design no bobbing pretty much always active
very stable and predictable, great for heavyweights, not for climbers, makes a cool slalom bike

Weaknesses:    Weight Weight Weight.32-33lbs! A little too much for serious altitude climbing but you get what you pay for. if it had a little more travel (4.5") this would be a dream bike

Bottom Line:
really cool bike for the bucks. totally pedals almost like a hardtail and is just fun. way heavy though, you probably shouldn't buy this bike if you live in Colorado if you dont mind lugging at least 32 lbs this bike rules. If they would increase the travel Jamis would have a sweet freerider but 3" is a little short for all this weight. Also you wouldn't think the steel would break but mine did and its been two months and not a word from Jamis. I have had absolutely NO CUSTOMER SERVICE and the shop even says they have a problem with every bike they get from Jamis. So bad I almost wont get another Jamis even though they have great bikes. go figure

Favorite Trail:   Elden system