J. 1999 P. Morgen Full Suspension Bike

J. P. Morgen

Submitted by Scott Willson a Racer from Madison, CT

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1999

Lots of travel (something like 3 inches in the front and 5 in the back).
Nice, stable ride at all speeds.
Feels light for a downhill-worthy bike.
Nobody else has bikes that look like this.

Feels soft if you try to handle out of the saddle.
Uniquely plush ride is pretty, well, unique.
Industrial styling.

Bottom Line:
This bike instantly made me a much better off-road rider. It's amazingly forgiving of harsh terrain, stupid lines, hard braking, and poor body positions.I'm not a full-suspension sort of guy at all. I've tried lots of them over the years, but always came away unimpressed and went back to riding old minimally-suspended mountain frames or my 'cross bike.This bike converted me, though. It's remarkably stable inching around tricky stuff and yet rock-solid at 40 mph, too. I've done all sort of stupid stuff -- bad lines, lousy balance, too fast through rough trails -- and this bike just takes it no problem. I used to get dropped by any half-decent off-road rider, and now the tables are turned. And I know I haven't gotten any better.This isn't a bike for everyone, though. It looks like nothing else out there. It's built by one guy, J.P. Morgen, a machinist in San Francisco. I think J.P. goes to the hadrware store to get letters to glue on to the frame. I think the bike looks cool, but if you want that snazzy Colnago-style paint job or get tired of people asking, 'what the h-ll kind of bike is that?' look elsewhere. I also don't know how this bike compares to others on, say, a long fire-road climb, as it weighs in at 26 lbs. But I've seen lots of people have good success with them in cross-country races, and J.P. used to drop me all the time going uphill.

less than 1 month