Iron Horse 2001 Hollowpoint Full Suspension Bike

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Georgia

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Strengths:    Initial component spec.; Frame design.

Weaknesses:    None really -- swapped a few things out due to personal preference. Tires are probably not the best for the type of riding this bike is best suited for, but this is easily fixed and hasn't become enough of a problem to change them yet. Took a while to get the Hayes disk brakes to work properly, but once dialed in they are great.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike like others who have reviewed it here because of the killer deal and because I wanted a bike with a little more front and rear travel. At first, I was disappointed. The bike felt too tall and awkward and the cockpit felt cramped (I'm 5'10' and have a medium frame which is the size I usually ride). I swapped the stem for a 120mm X 5 degree rise Thompson and things clicked. This is an excellent trail bike. It is relatively heavy and I wouldn't recommend it for racing, but for several hour/all day rides where you will encounter many different riding conditions it is perfect. It climbs competently, if (for me anyway) slowly, descends flawlessly, and eats up gnarly, technical, single track.

The bike is pure fun and the price for what you get is unbelievable. I have a Trek Fuel 90 and it is also a great bike. The Iron Horse is definitely better equipped, a better value, and better in extremely technical situations and when going down. The Fuel is definitely more efficient, a better climber, and the only one of the two I'd consider for racing. They are really different bikes, but, if I had to have only one, I'd keep the Iron Horse. This is a five chili bike for value by any standard. Once I tinkered with the fit, I think it is a 5 chili bike overall as well.

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra; Trek Fuel 90, STP; Various hardtails

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Time Pedals and Thompson Stem.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Jones Beack

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    Timmy Teller sucks

Weaknesses:    Did I mention Timmy sucks

Bottom Line:
Timmy like most people from New Hampshire is an inbred loser. He obviously knows nothing about this bike or mountain biking at all. Maybe Timmy should actually ride a Hollowpoint before he reviews it, but then again, I don't think bike shops accept food stamps and government cheese as payment. Sorry Timmy, and tell your mom I'll be there at around 11:00 tonight and to please take a shower because she's been smelling pretty nasty lately.

Similar Products Used:   Timmy's mother. I ride her every night.

Submitted by Kevin Roll a Racer from Leadville, CO, US

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Strengths:    Style, Incredible decender, clibs well with the lockout, Overall component group is great!

Weaknesses:    None yet and hopefully never, rear derailure cracked around the mounting bolt, contacted SRAM and sent it away, we'll see what happens - should be warrantied....

Bottom Line:
This bike just flat out rocks, if you like all around mtn biking including going as fast as you want down just about any hill this bike is for you. I just did the Leadville Trail 100 this year and passed literally about 100 people just on the descents! NO KIDDING! It may weigh just a little more than other full suspension bikes but it's worth it if you like to have fun. The price is what sold me, with all the components provided this was a steal! Get one if you enjoy all around biking, gettting big air and love speed!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any in Moab

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR Ground Control, Hardtails that suck!

Bike Setup:   Manitou X-Vert air front fork, Hayes Hydraulic Disc brakes, Fox Vanilla RC rear shock, EA 50 seat post, SRAM half pipe shifters and derailures, Specialized racing xc tires, Sun Ringle wheels.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    Component spec
Hayes brakes
Rear suspension design (licensed from Specialized)
Balanced front and rear suspension
Good looking bike

Weaknesses:    There is something floating around in the frame
Front derailer (SRAM)is a pain to setup/adjust

Bottom Line:
For starters, the picture on top of this page is not the Hollowpoint and the specs are from last years.

I have to admit I was very sceptical of this bike when I saw it at Supergo for $1695 (I never mail order big stuff and I didn't know much about I-Horse). I started calling around and everyone that knew about Ironhorse recommended them highly. Well, so far this bike has not disappointed.

The component spec is perfect. I have built my last 3 bikes up from frames because I am very particular about components. I have not, nor do I have plans to touch anything on this bike. If something breaks I will replace it with the same parts it came with. In 10 years and 8 bikes I have never been this satisfied with the components on a bike (even when I've built them myself.

For the past two seasons I have been riding an IF Deluxe hardtail and I was sceptical about returning to FS. Once again Ironhorse got it right. They licensed the FSR setup from Specialized and threw Fox's best air shock in the middle of it. Brilliant. Net-net this thing climbs as well as my hardtail (a little heavier but better traction and less need to climb out of the saddle).

Probably the best thing I can say though is that this bike is a lot of fun. I love riding and anthing that makes it more enjoyable is worth having. This is a true trail bike. 27+lbs in a large with 4.5 in rear and 4 in front travel with the discs. Active suspension and an upright riding position. You can climb, drop off, jump or ride anything most riders will ever encounter (hardcore free ride/DH and xc racing excluded). Like I said its a trail bike.

The only question I have left is reliability. Only time will tell. It certainly has a tough act to follow in this department. My steel hardtail never needed any attention.

In summary, buy this bike. Whether its $2,000 + or for $1,695 you are getting a great deal on what appears to be a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Biz