Iron Horse 2001 Hillbilly Full Suspension Bike

Submitted by Lonerider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2016

Strengths:    Cheep (mine was free, second hand), good riding position, not too heavy, can fit vbrakes or discs

Weaknesses:    Front fork is not great (mine was shot when I got it but I've heard even new they aren't good), grip shift (ewww).

Bottom Line:
I got this bike basically as a gift from a friend for free, so I give it a decent value rating -- duh! That said, I was able to upgrade it because I have a lot of spare parts and forks. If you had to buy the parts(or the bike) it might not be so great.

What you get is a good dual suspension bike for beginners, a y-type frame that is tried and true, if basic. The rear shock is tough enough to handle real offroading -- I've taken mine to several mountainbike parks in NJ and it;s handled fine on every singletrack I've tried, That said, I put one of my two old Judy forks on the front, changed out the stem, went to a flat bar and added bar ends. I then got a Specialized FSR SX so I haven't ridden the ironhorse in a while, but when I clean it back up it'll be my second dual sus bike. I'll probably go with newer tires, and lose the gripshift.

The ride position is great, more like a regular hardtail than many dual sus bikes, which have you sitting lower and the bars real high -- yeh that's great for downhill but this is really an xc type bike and it climbs like it. Yeh it's not light but it isn't a pig either.

The suspension as said is basic, but it works and works well. Though I've had no probs with rear air shocks, I've had air forks fail on me; a spring shock like the ironhorse has is simply more foolproof, less to go wrong.

As a side note, I've also ridden this ont he street in the snow, including some pretty bad blizzards, just to get out and see conditions, It handled very well at low speed even in several inches of powder. Not a recommended use but a nod to the stable geometry of the bike.

In short, this is a basic, dependable dual suspension mountainbike. It is worth upgrading the entry level parts and fork. If you can find one now (they are some years old), buy it and ride the heck out of it. It is a good introduction to full suspension and might be worth making into a real nice bike with better parts spec.

Lonerider

Favorite Trail:   Lewis-Morris, NJ; Watchung Reservation NJ (yeh we're back now)

Duration Product Used:   a little over 2 years (if i recall)

Purchased At:   The Bike Stand Scotc

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp, Specialized FSR SX (duak suspension); Airborne homebuilt singlespeed hardtail, specialized hardrock single speed conversion, no name yellow hardtail with 1x9 setup (devinci?) (front shocks only)

Etc.

Bike Setup:   stock frame, rear shock and drivetrain; newer seat, replacement pedals (platforms), Long(er) travel rock shox judy xc fork, shorter stem, flat handlebar, short bar ends

Submitted by Hugo Inkel a Weekend Warrior from Granby, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    The full suspension is great and makes it easier on your back. Looks good, lighter than it looks, 24 spd, solid frame, price $999.99 Canadian, RST rear shock is tough.

Weaknesses:    RST 321 CL front shock is average. It will be your first upgrade!!!

Bottom Line:
OverAll pretty good bike for beginners or advanced riders. Should buy the bike if low on budget, damn good looks on this bike and people will stare because of the that, light weight and handles pretty good.

Good for the OverAll weekend warrior, fun to upgrade on this bike -----> [new front shocks]

Favorite Trail:   Choinière gate

Purchased At:   Sport Expert

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp
Mongoose NX 8.5

Bike Setup:   FORK: RST 321 CL 100MM Travel
CRANK: SRAM 4.0
REAR SHOCK: RST 22A
HEADSET: WTB Competition
DERAILURES: SRAM 4.0 (24 SPEED)
BRAKES: V-brake
SHIFTER: Grip Shift SRAM 4.0 (24 SPEED)
RIM: Axis
TIRES: Front: KENDA Koyote (mud, sand ,road)
Rear: KENDA Koyote (mud, snow)
Bike is disk ready (front and rear)

Submitted by James B a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    I rode a weeks worth of some of Sedona's best trails and it held up great. Handled 3+ foot drops and some bmx style ramps that gained heights of 4-5 feet airs. The rst 22 held up over some tough stuff.

Weaknesses:    The front rst just is not big enough for big air. Not a good bike for an atv. More of a cross country bike stock. If you want to do the big stuff you will have to upgrade.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great deal for the price that I paid. It made my vacation in AZ an awesome experience and makes for a great full for a weekend warrior.

Favorite Trail:   Templeton in Sedona AZ

Purchased At:   bikeswholesale.com

Similar Products Used:   More comfortable than any hardtail cross country.

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock