Ibis 1999 Szazbo Full Suspension Bike

4.76/5 (34 Reviews)

1999 Ibis Szazbo, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.75" travel fork

Submitted by Dan Grzonka a Weekend Warrior from Bristol, England

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2010

Strengths:    A distinctive looking bike with a great ride. Ibis produce really nicely finished bikes with reassuring and predictable ride.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find in the UK

Bottom Line:
Loved it - one of my favourite bikes with a distinctive ride and interesting looks and style. I would love to buy another one.

Favorite Trail:   Leigh Woods

Purchased At:   Bike shop in Bristol

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz heckler superlight.

Bike Setup:   LX, Mavic rims, Rock Shox Judy SL o
forks.

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Black Canyon city az.

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Strengths:    Does everything right! Will wheelie over speed bumps like nothing is there. Climbs like a hardtail. Go anywhere and other riders have to check out my ride. Timeless.

Weaknesses:    I didnt get the Bowtie to match

Bottom Line:
I couldnt be happier if I were twins! I will never sell this one. If you get a chance to buy one, hang on to it!As for parts, call the boys and girls at Ibis, they will figure it out>>

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   From Dad

Similar Products Used:   All hardtails

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR Judy nukeproof hubs Sun rims

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    The Bike is solid. The frame design really allows for great cross country riding (with style along the way)

Weaknesses:    Since I started riding this bike, I forgot what that word means....

Bottom Line:
This bike is a work of art as well as an engineering marvel. I am about 160 lbs and this bike has held up to every 5' drop and 100 miler I have ever tossed at it. The bike has been EVERYWHERE with me and it has been turning heads because of the unusual frame design. I have not had to do anything with the bushings or deraileur hanger and that is the way it should be. I am going to retire the bike frame this year, but I am going to proudly hang it up in my room. I will build it up some day when I get the money to do so (I am in college). It was a pleasure to have this bike as my first full suspension bike. IBIS is back!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Giant ranier, Gary Fisher tassajara

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas RLC fork, Chris King headset, XT crank and BB, Chris King rear hub, avid mechanical brakes.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2007

Strengths:    Durability! Dependable do everything bike. Light weight for its time and being full suspension

Weaknesses:    No longer made.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike for more than 10 years commuting, downhilling, cross country, everything. Best all around bike ever owned!

Favorite Trail:   Ho Chi Mihn

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist 1995

Bike Setup:   Stock XT Rox Shox, Fox 4

Submitted by Paul Fradale a Weekend Warrior from Fukuoka, Japan

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    Light, smooth, rugged, unique: I smile every time I get on it.

Weaknesses:    Ibis went under so replacement bits are custom-only; when doing downhill runs the seat can only be lowered a bit.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike as my first FS after riding Ti hardtails. I bought the frame for $400 and swapped over what I could from my Litespeed, then got the rest of the parts over time. I use it every day to go to work and then hit the trails after work and on the weekends. The guys I ride with run DH rigs which I have tried. Fun downhill but you pay going up. The Szazbo is a feather compared to them. My only gripe is that the seat can not be lowered much, so when on a downhill run I wind up resting my chest on the seat and hanging my butt as far over the rear wheel as I can. Works, but fatigue sets in earlier than if I had a DH barcolounger. Great bike, really stands out, a blast to ride in many conditions. Tough, too.

Favorite Trail:   Kusenbu

Purchased At:   McCully Bike, Honolulu, HI

Bike Setup:   Alps rear, Z1 front, Crossmax XL, Avid mech. disc (had boss welded to swingarm) with Full Metal Jacket lines, XTR drivetrain, Hope Ti BB, Thompson post, Bontrager Crowbar, Raceface stem, Chris King headset, Niterider Blowtorch

Submitted by bud mauger a Cross Country Rider from west chester, pa usa

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    The ride is the Szazbo's greatest feature, makes easy work of rock gardens and log overs, tracks beautifully. Like me: "Just cause it's old does not mean it's ineffective."

Weaknesses:    A bit extra weight, one review said his weighs in a 24.5 lbs. I question that, mine is around 28.5 lbs. The weight of this bike is above normal by today's standards but not a major issue.

Bottom Line:
Szazbos don't come along too often, keep watching on Ebay or MTBR, if someone is foolish enough to sell then take advantage and purchase. I paid $750.00 for entire bike but changed quite a bit and spent another $1,500 on upgrades. I am not disappointed in the least. The frame was in beautiful condition and the Manitou Skareb matched the rear suspension just fine. I cannot say enough about Chris King hubs.

Who should buy? I am 61 years old and have been riding for 12 years. I ride with much younger guys and have no trouble keeping up with "most of them!" If you are looking for comfort and performance and like me love cross country then you "will not be disappointed" with this bike!

Have fun looking, there are several out there collecting dust!

Favorite Trail:   rim trail, tahoe, ca

Similar Products Used:   I have: 2004 Yeti 575, 2000 Ellsworth Truth, 2000 Ibis Ripley, 1996 Ibis Mojo, 1994 Bontrager Steel, 1996 Bontrager Ti, 2000 Airborne Black Widow and a 2001 Merlin Echo. I took the Ellsworth to CA. but could have easily taken the Szazbo, just did not want to risk doing any damage.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Skareb, Gravey built wheels with Chris King Hubs, Avid Mechanical Discs(I had disc tabs welded to rear triangle)works perfectly, XTR shifters and XT cranks.

Submitted by Scott Alguire a Cross Country Rider from Lompoc, CA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2004

Strengths:    Sweet Spot design is really sweet. Soft ride in the saddle and the bike indestructable.

Weaknesses:    Yes, Ibis went backrupt but John Castellano still love us and is making the parts.

Bottom Line:
This is the bike everyone imitated but no one could afford. 10 years after its birth, the frame is still ahead of the rest of the world for simplicity, strength, and comfort. These bikes are a work of art. Watch the classified and garage sales, someone may be selling one because it is not this years cool, new model. I love mine as much now as the day I rode it home.

Favorite Trail:   too many to name

Purchased At:   RTR Anchorage,AK

Similar Products Used:   Nothing can compare but I have ridden many
GT TREK Cannondale Yeti Rocky Mountain Specialized

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT, Manitou SX-Ti, WTB Laser beam with Momentum hubs, Sachs shifters, the only thing I have replaced is tires, brake pads and cables in 6 years and 8000 miles

Submitted by clyde curry a Weekend Warrior from dallas ,texas

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Strengths:    the alps shock,cross max rims,xtr components,
manitou mach 5 shock

Weaknesses:    no longer made,the rear deraileur hanger is irreplaceable for this year model

Bottom Line:
its a piece of kinetic scupture that works well cross
country or recreational use.although i ride out the saddle
most of the time,i can appreciate the comfort when i am
tired of standing.