Haro 2000 Extreme EX2 Full Suspension Bike

Weight : 30.40000 MSRP : $1150.00

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

Submitted by IZ a Weekend Warrior from MD

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    the price

Weaknesses:    brakes are wack.. fork is weAK!.. rear shox sux..

Bottom Line:
the ex2 is a great bike for its price.. i picked it up cauz it was on sale at gallyans and i had just the right amount of money so i said what the hey.. the brakes really do suck and they were quickly replaced.. same story for the shock.. obviously this isnt a DH but after taking this down 2 ski slopes in upstate NY, the rear shock liquified and was replaced.. the front shock was still okay but eh replaced those too with a Duke Race. personally, i think the pivot design is kinda weak.. it does have a little bit too much body flex for my taste (not stiff enough). i think pretty soon im gonna need to hit the machine shop at my school and make some aluminum modifications to some of the parts on the frame.. especially the rear shock & pivot point.. ball bearings on the pivot point is a better idea instead of just a bolt rotating against aluminum. the ex2 is a good value for its price and its a great value for newbies. do expect to replace parts after a while though.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Gallyans

Similar Products Used:   whatever

Bike Setup:   this bike with a new CanCreek Cloud9 in the back, RockShox Duke Race in the front, Pannaracer tires and some other little things and Avid mechanicals

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Barton,NY, Tioga

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Strengths:    Strong,disc brakes,good components,plush ride.

Weaknesses:    Disc brakes,heavy

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite bike to ride. I've tried to lighten it up to compete in my local races, but it's just too heavy. With all the parts I've changed it still comes in a 31lbs. It is not a race bike! The discs suck, but at least it is set up for an upgrade. I have not had a problem with the rear shock like most other people. If you are looking for a all around bike to ride this one is is my favorite.

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale super vee, Cannondale killer vee, mongoose A60, Cannondale F1000

Bike Setup:   Easton seat post,light weight seat,flat bars,Judy sl,xt shifters, panaracer fire tires.

Submitted by Chris B. a Weekend Warrior from Rowland Hts.,CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Strengths:    Love the frame. The Disc brakes is why I have bought the bike in the first place, not to mention the cool orange and black paint job.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock , pedals, grips suck. front DR's need to be adjusted everytime you take off both wheels.

Bottom Line:
I am over 250 lbs and the darn thing is still in one piece. Took a BMX track @Elsinore (not opened yet) and had no problems with the jumps and hills and stuff. I thought I was dirt meat, but bike took it like a pro. Want to replace the shox, both. Disc brakes work good if you know how to adjust them properly. I would recommend this bike to anybody who wants to look cool as well as ride like there is no tomorrow. Descends are awesome, uphills take a little effort, but if you gear it right, no problem. NO pogo effect.

Similar Products Used:   FSR

Bike Setup:   BONE STOCK for now

Submitted by MC-MTBKER a Downhiller from COLO SPGS

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2000

Strengths:    GOOD ALL AROUND FREE RIDE BIKE.

Weaknesses:    THE REAR SHOCK, THE FRONT FORK AND THE DISC BRAKES, BUT FOR THE PRICE YOU WILL NOT GET A HI-END BIKE. ALLTHOUGH THIS BIKE DOES HAVE GREAT PROMESS!!

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A GREAT BIKE !!!! RUNNING THE SET UP THAT I LISTED ABOVE. WITH THE CANE CREEK REAR SHOCK I GET ALLMOST 5" OUT OF THE REAR. THE FRONT FORK WORKS GREAT ON THIS BIKE IT MATCHES THE BIKE REALLY WELL. WITH THE TUNABILITY OF THE SHOCKS THIS BIKE IS LIKE A LAZY BOY IT CLIMBS GOOD BUT BEENING A F/S BIKE IT DECENDS EVEN BETTER. BOTTEM LINE THIS BIKE IS A GREAT INVESTMENT, BECAUSE BONE STOCK YOU HAVE A BIKE WITH GREAT PROMESS

Favorite Trail:   CAPT. JACKS TRAIL

Purchased At:   LOCAL BIKE SHOP

Similar Products Used:   GARY FISHER (JOSHUA)

Bike Setup:   EX2 FRAME ,CANE CREEK AD-10 REAR SHOCK,RST DELTA 5" FRONT FORK , SHIMANO XT DISC BRAKES F+R ,MICHELIN WILD GRIPPER HOT-S . FULL XT DRIVE TRAIN. SPECIALIZED COMP SEAT .

Submitted by smc cantrell a Cross Country Rider from san diego california

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2000

Strengths:    looks handeling

Weaknesses:    have replaced alot af components allready rear shock went out.probably because of construction of swing arm out of wack or just a piss pore shock rear hub assembly makes a bunch of noise.since was brand new rear cables were rusted when brand new.seems too me the bike spent more time in the shop than ride time.

Bottom Line:
i like the bikes looks handeling. needs many more upgrades this bike seems too be very prissy but stong. have too clean and adjust just about every ride.

Favorite Trail:   pine vally mount laguna

Similar Products Used:   old mongoose that worked very well for an old clunker

Bike Setup:   judy rock frt. fox air rear upgraded frt disc cable rear disc hayes 8 inch rotor upgrade

Submitted by Kevin B. a Downhiller from Menlo Park

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Discs, weight, balanced geometry

Weaknesses:    mud capabilities, frame bolts

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line, this is a nice bike. Price and component type are what lead me to the EX2. Sporting dual suspension, full discs, rapid fire, clipless, and a cool frame design (i admit), this is a good bike for a beginner F/S'er like me. I do have a few complaints though.. When peddling uphill, my chain was skipping like crazy. This can be fixed by tightening the fram bolt just above the bottom bracket and checking the quick release in the rear. I have had no problems as of yet with the front caliper disc brakes, but the rear have been whacked. I work in a bike shop, so I have both the knowledge, means, and tools to do whatever is necessary for my bike. Desenfortunado, not everything can be fixed by me. This is why I'm getting a new rear disc brake. I'm having major problems with mud and crud in my rear housing and caliper, so I'm going to try a hayes hydraulic. With the cable in the rear, it is near impossible to lock up the rear wheel, which can be usefull when riding. Well, that's what I have to whine about. I am also thinking about upgrading to XTR just B-kuz. 2 more things.. my front deraliuer is not shifting into 1st gear because it's in contact with the drop tube, which I hope can be fixed by buying an XTR, but maybe I just need to fiddlw with the BB mount. And last but cosmetically not least, the paint job leaves much to be desired. After ~200 miles my cranks are no longer black, and there are several spots where the housing is rubbing against the paint and the paint is rubbed away. But don't let this deter you! I love this bike, and anybody who has more time than money should definitely consider this fine peice of machinery.

Favorite Trail:   CrazyPetes, 914

Similar Products Used:   MongoosePOS, FSR enduro Comp

Bike Setup:   stock + barends + getting a new rear Hayes hydraulic pretty soon

Submitted by Steve B. a Cross Country Rider from Commercial Point, OHIO USA

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent components for price. Suspension sucks up bumps/jolts well. Rock Shox Judy 100mm forks are great. Shimano LX components perform smoothly. Great brakes-disks front AND rear. Overall, good, stable frame geometry.

Weaknesses:    Well, uhh....not used to clipless pedals yet. Nothing has broken or tweaked, so there is not much to say. Have put about 150 miles of trail/jumping on it.

Bottom Line:
Overall, the bike handles nice, not too quick, not too sluggish handling. Suspension is better than any of the other FS I have ridden. Could be a little lighter, so I will probably upgrade later to some carbon fiber bars and seat post to shave a little weight. The Haro rear suspension does not rob much power at all, even uphill climps. Tires grip good all around (not the best, not the worst, but a good general tire for this and that). I have not bottomed out the forks on any landings yet. I REALLY like the dual disk brake setup. Overall, it is a wonderful bike for the money...even if it cost a little more. If you like to ride trails/downhills/street, I would definatly recommend this bike. I test rode probably 35 FS bikes in the $1000-$2000 range, and this one was my favorite. Plus, it comes in a wide range of sizes to fit almost any adult. With the curved top tube, it allows for more clearance, so a person can get a better fitting bike!

Favorite Trail:   Scioto River SR 23 and SR 752