Haro 1999 Extreme EX2 Full Suspension Bike

4.31/5 (13 Reviews)

1999 Haro Extreme EX2, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy C, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from Davao City

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Strengths:    moderately priced,proven suspension technology,
good looks, Good frame quality,, can be upgraded to the moon

Weaknesses:    some flex, bushings in the pivot instead of bearings

Bottom Line:
This bike fits my riding style; aggressive, fast, controlled. You dont need to change this frame if you want to upgrade. Just the components. The frame is a classic and if equipped with the right parts, it can compete with the latest frames out there. This frame is not for fatties though. If you're between 100-170 lbs then its ok.

Purchased At:   Cartimar

Similar Products Used:   klein, schwinn, gt

Bike Setup:   z1 fork, avid discs, xtr drivetrain, mavic517, american classic hubs, dt rev spokes, sid dual air shock, control tech post, azonic riser, 27lbs

Submitted by Jon Rouse a Cross Country Rider from Presque Isle, ME, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    Everything except rear swingarm and rear shock....

Weaknesses:    The rear swingarm cracked after the first few rides, but I called Haro and they sent my a 2001 rear swingarm for free and it arrived in 4 days. Thanx Haro!! The rear shock I have blown 4 times now, but RockShox came good for it and sent me a new one everytime something bad went wrong. Thanks Rockshox!!

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for anyone who wants to get into full suspension riding. I thought I would never have a bike like this my whole entire life and I must say this bike is a very smooth bike to ride and very strong. I would highly recommend buying this bike if anyone wants to have an enjoyable yet eye-catching ride!!

Favorite Trail:   Rooty and Technical Trails

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Enterprise

Similar Products Used:   None... First Full Suspension Bike ever rode.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT components, Mavic 517 Black Rims, Marzocchi Bomber Z.5, Shimano Alivio crank, DH Bars, Rockshox Super Deluxe rear shock, Shimano pedals w/ toeclips

Submitted by Alfred a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Strengths:    Sturdy and smooth ride over roots, small rocks, doesn't throw you over bike at first sign of impact...shocks dig and try to pull you through it. Shocks will launch you over logs, curbs, edges or whatever...I've pushed this bike to the max and its responded every time.

Weaknesses:    Broke the swing arm first time I took it to Austin. They replaced it with 2000 swing arm in one day. No problems since then. Grips are a little hard and will slide if your hands sweat..

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for someone who rides singletrack dirt wth roots/light terrain to downhill challenges...tighten the shock for better work ratio. For the price this bike gets you all the basics of a smooth ride on rugged terrain.

Favorite Trail:   Bandera, TX

Purchased At:   Oshman's

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Canondale...

Bike Setup:   Climbing bars, clipin pedals, new seat, new swing arm, higher grade suspension spring for stiffer ride.

Submitted by JR from Niagara Falls, NY

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Strengths:    Full suspension for under $1000.
Mostly quality parts.
Great handling.
Nifty colors.
Low top tube protects the "sweets".

Weaknesses:    Stock seat will make you impotent in a few days.
Rear tire gets loose easily and clogs very easily.
Poor water bottle placement.
Pain in the neck seat post.
Grips you can sand the rust off a ship with.

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing bike at an even more amazing price. It is usually bumpy and wet in the gorge and this bike flat out flys downhill. It needed some cable adjustments to get dialed in but it has been super since! I changed the seat to a gel one. I enjoy riding for more than a few minutes and with the stock seat my arse was killing me. I'm going to replace the rear tire soon because the stock tire clogs very easily and slips often. I've heard about the swing arm breaking but I haven't had any problems with mine. All of my gripes can easily (and cheaply) be fixed. Once you dial it in to the way you like you'll smile so much they'll be picking the flies out of your teeth. Super bike!

Favorite Trail:   Niagara Gorge

Purchased At:   Johnny's Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for a gel seat- much more comfortable and I switched to DX platform pedals.
Rear tire will have to go soon.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2000

Strengths:    Price, I got this bike on closeout for $700. Not bad components, tires, saddle ect.

Weaknesses:    Swing Arm, this thing sucks I keep waiting for it to break because I know it will. I've already tightened everything up once because this thing has a bad design.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy this bike, I just wish Haro would just recall the swing arm instead of making us wait till it breaks. With the 2000 arm I think this would be a really fun bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creak

Bike Setup:   Stock except bar "bike needs straight bar"

Submitted by Michael Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Weare, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2000

Strengths:    I love how soft a ride it gives, climbs hills extremely well, also does good on road and on snow and ice

Weaknesses:    drink holder is too low and broke when I went over a rock

Bottom Line:
I love the bike and am glad I got it, even my friends who I have let try it love it right off

Favorite Trail:   Clough State Park (so far)

Bike Setup:   Standard w/ changed seat for comfort and bar ends for easier climbing

Submitted by cory wagner a Weekend Warrior from mission beach, ca

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2000

Strengths:    I ride this bike 25 miles as a daily commuter and love it.
This bike will get you through whatever you can find, downtown street, x-country dirt, and downhillin'.
Also haro has great factory support with any problems.

Weaknesses:    Rear swingarm broke, but a new stronger one sent to me right away.
front derailer moves and cause shifting difficulty.

Bottom Line:
Haro rules - Get one if you like to fly!!!!

Favorite Trail:   nobel canyon

Similar Products Used:   Nothing that compares to this bike

Bike Setup:   I added a nightrider DP 12, and a different seat, and the bike was ready

Submitted by Superman a Racer from College Station, TX

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1999

Strengths:
With a little extra componetry this bike does very well.

Weaknesses:
I have broken the frame once and the swingarm 3 times.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this FS bike is great once you can dial it in. I race XC with it but will soon go to a hardtail. This bike is probably the best multi-purpose bike I have ever riden. The company has alway kept up there warranty on it so the breakage was only a minor setback. They sent me the 2000 swingarm. I have nearly swithed all the componets out for more race worthy additions such as flat bars and a Chris King wheelset.

Lake Bryan

1 Year

Submitted by Drew a Cross-Country Rider from Greensburg, PA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1999

Strengths:
It floats over stuff and goes exactly where you want it to. It climbs well too.

Weaknesses:
A little heavy, but you won't notice.

Bottom Line:
An excellent bike at an even better price.

Santa Cruz Heckler

Changed from XT shifter/brake combo to SRAM Plasma shifters and SRAM 7.0 levers.

Submitted by Dan a Cross-Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1999

Strengths:
fire roads
climbs pretty well

Weaknesses:
rear swing arm broke! I heard this happend to about 10 other riders here in Israel- all non aggresive XC riders.It is a pitty because the extreme in a well sprcked affordable full sus' bike .

Bottom Line:
nice bike to ride but I didn't expect the swingarm to brake so soon , I hope for 2000 Haro replaces the thing ! if the rear swing arm didn't break i'd giveit 4 stars.

3 months

super V's klein Mantara (but coudn't afford them!)

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from Tockholes, UK

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Strengths:
Plently of travel both back and front that absorb most, if not all, trail conditions.

Weaknesses:
I've had a little problem with the front mech failing to change down consistantly.

Bottom Line:
This is just a great bike for both serious off-roading or gentle pottering. With the the added stopping power of disc brakes this bike gives the rider (me) more confidence to try stuff they (me) would have given a miss before.

GT3000
Marin Rock Springs

Upgraded rear to take disc brakes. Disc brakes fitted both front and rear.

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from Mansfield, OH

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1999

Strengths:
This bike is tight, an absolute blast to ride
it is solid as a rock, climbs like a goat(need to
stay in saddle as long as possible) and floats over
the roughest terrain. Like they claim in Mountain bike action,
this bike is the best for 1000 and under, you wont be
dissappointed!

Weaknesses:
little heavy, 9 sp needs
a rollamig to keep chain tight

Bottom Line:
Rock solid performance, reasonable price.
Youll always have a grin on your face with this bike!

Hueston Woods

Trek y3

Submitted by Pete Demos/Haro Bikes a downhiller from CA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Mountain Bike Action did a test review of the Haro Extreme EX2 in the October 1998 issue. Here is a bit of what they had to say....this bike leaves nothing to be desired except a place to ride. It's a winner!This is a true trail bike for $1000. It turns at the push of a button, yet it's a joy to hammer at fire road velocity. Besides all that, it looks really spiffy.