Haro 1999 Extreme EX0 Full Suspension Bike

4.3/5 (30 Reviews)

1999 Haro Extreme EX0, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Alivio components, RST 281, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Matt W a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, VIctoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Strengths:    I bought this bike as the dum kid that just wanted a sick bike. Believe it or not iw as going to buy a mongoose *OMG*. But i saw this bike on special at a bike store from $1300 Australian (which is $741US) to $900 Australian (which is $513US). I only started to realise what a sick bike this was after about 4 months of riding when i realized that the parts that came stock standard on it are pretty good at that price point. So far i have only made a couple of changes. I changed the front forks to a bomber z5. these are mad forks and they came in the exact same red colour as my bike. I changed the crankset to the the Shimano Deore and i changed my cassette and chain because the ones that came standard on my bike got worn down......i changhed the tires cos the old ones were bald and changed my grips cos the old ones were worn down....hrrm....i think thats it. o and i want to put disc brakes on it. oh oh and i also but clipless on it.

Weaknesses:    The swingarm snapped and the stock forks are dodgy. and there are no discmounts but once u snap the swingarm and they give u a new one then that has a discmount.

Bottom Line:
This bikes is good apart from the part where i snapped my frame and had to walk for a while to get home. If u get one change the forks..

Favorite Trail:   hrrz....so many

Purchased At:   Bicycle Superstore

Similar Products Used:   ermm...a huffy???

Bike Setup:   Bomber Z5's. Deore chainrings and cranks, sunrace cassette...
Shimano 515 pedalz

Submitted by Haro Bloke a Weekend Warrior from Gold Coast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    1 Frame Design, 2 Colour, 3 Upgradability 4 looks, 5 Stock wheels and seat are OK

Weaknesses:    Stock components, esp forks. [except for wheels and seat]

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks due to the frame being upgradable. It is much better that original as I have added new parts, the bike has evolved into an excellent all round bike that I can XC, DH and FR all day. PLUS - it looks great. Black Swingarm, Black Forks, Black Bars, Blue Frame - a sweet Bad Ass Black and Blue Haro EX0

Favorite Trail:   Roller Coast Singles

Purchased At:   Ferry Rode Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS 2, Giant AC2,

Bike Setup:   99 Exo frame, 2000 swingarm powder coated black, 2001 Z5 Bombers, Cane Creek AD5 rear shock, Deore Hollowtech Cranks, "shorty' style stem, Profile Ultra FR riser bars, Specialise BG seat, DMR V8 pedals

Submitted by Josh Borg a Downhiller from Bountiful,Utah,USA.

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Great begginner bike,smooth ride handls up to 4 foot drops,lots of bumps hard,rocky,shi#* trails.Strong frame and swing arm.great rear shock.

Weaknesses:    Very crappy forks,to narrow of tires.needs better components.

Bottom Line:
For a begginner a great bike. Handeled most of my hard riding pretty good,but now im going to a diamond back xts2 which will be much better for me.They did build a great rear suspension set up,and great rear shock,But FORKS sucked.

Favorite Trail:   Old jeep trail.

Purchased At:   Pedersons

Similar Products Used:   none really.

Bike Setup:   Stock components.stock forks ect.

Submitted by david bloodworth a Weekend Warrior from herrin il usa

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    nice frame to build

Weaknesses:    everything but the frame...but...haro needs to get back to me about a replacement swingarm i've e-mailed them a couple times but haven't heard back this could be a weakness in the customer service department i will keep this in mind with my next MTB purchase...listening HARO ?.....

Bottom Line:
the bike is a blast for performance trail riding, i do all my own wrench work, when HARO gets back to me on my NEW swingarm i'll install it with roller bearings...listening HARO?... THE BIKE DOES KICK BUTOSKI!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   wiggs bike shop

Similar Products Used:   TREK's,RALEIGH's,FUGI's,GT's,ROSS's,NISHIKI's

Bike Setup:   current set up..SXR,STX,WTB,WILDGRIPPERlites,

Submitted by Rhea Ng a Racer from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap. Very cheap considering that its a full-suspension bike made by Haro. Luckily i got the yr 2000 swingarm. HAHA :Þ

Weaknesses:    Currently only one -> I hate the rear RST 22 shock. ****ing performance

Bottom Line:
Its definitely a good bike if u are lookin for something that is cheap and if you don't push it too hard, if not I tell you the stock setup SUCKS and I wanna mod it to be a downhill bike. I know in Singapore its hard to find any suitable terrain but no matter how much you upgrade GOONDUS [meaning idiots in indian] dont give a damn on what you upgrade.... Because there are very few pro bikers... This bike is definitely 4 the teen or adult that is lookin 4 a good frame at a bargain. UPGRADE!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bt. Timah [This place is in SG]

Similar Products Used:   GT, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Hey, I bought it just less than 2 weeks!

Submitted by Ezra Barnea a Cross Country Rider from Moshav Herev-Laet, ISRAEL

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Strengths:    Sets up entry level @ very cost effective budget for double suspension.

Weaknesses:    I fell on a product made on a weekend. It brings me to a repair shop every 2-3 weeks and I think by now, I had to replace most technical moving parts at least once.If it wasn't for the warranty, I would have invested an extra $750 on it.
The most serious in this series is the back fork that had a crack and had also to be replaced by the dealer at N/C.

Bottom Line:
I owe this bike my introduction to the world of off track mountain biking in all terrains.
If you can afford to invest more, avoid this model.

Favorite Trail:   Beith Oren Single Track

Purchased At:   Matzman

Bike Setup:   I have upgraded the back drailer to Deore LX

Submitted by Bruce McJannett from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2000

Strengths:    Good upgrade frame.

Weaknesses:    As previously discussed below

Bottom Line:
Mike, first thing to do is remove the IGUS bushings from both sides of the swingarm and clean everything in the swingarm and frame pivot area. Remove the allen head bolts from the swingarm which tighten against the bushings. If you used the bolts from the old swingarm for the new swingarm, replace these with longer ones from a bolt shop or hardware as this gives more thread into the metal of the swingarm. My old bolts were quite short.

Take your swingarm and frame to a bearing shop and have them measure the diameters of your swingarm bush location and the frames pivot area on both sides with a special measuring tool they will have. Check both sides on each in case there is wear, to ensure a correct fit.

I bought a sealed cartridge bearing for either side of the swingarm and these had a 14mm hole for the axle. I bought 2 needle bearings for the pivot and a sleeve which fitted inside the needle bearing.

When the 2 needle bearings where pushed into the pivot hole, it left approx a 1cm space between each so that they were flush with the outside of the pivot hole. I just cut a piece of pipe the same diameter of the needle bearing sleeve and placed it between the 2 needle bearings and sleeves so that you can tighten up the nuts on the axle and not push the swingarm up against the outside of the pivot area like happens with the bushing when you have to keep it tight.

I then purchased a lenth of 15mm steel rod and 2 14mm nuts & took it to an engineering shop and got them to measure the length of the axle (bolt width each side, out from the bearing in the swingarm) It had to be turned down to 14mm for correct sizing to the diameter of the bearings, and then measured so that there is enough rod to be threaded to tighten the swingarm up. I know this might sound complicated or confusing but it is a very simple procedure. If you don't understand what I have written, I will try to get a photo taken of it all pulled apart so that I can scan it onto the net.

Anyway, once you have bought everything, (all up cost for everything approx $30 US) just push the needle bearing and sleeve in one side, then place the pipe spacer inside of it and using a screwdriver or the like to locate it so that it is lined up with the 2nd needle bearing and sleeve. These were quite tight but could be pushed in by hand with no movemnet in the frame. Push the axle through the sleeves, making sure it goes through the pipe spacer as well and then put one of the cartridge bearings into the swingarm and lightly tighten the bolt on the swingarm.
Now, put the 2nd cartridge bearing into the swingarm on the opposite side and put on a nut on the outside of each bearing and slowly do up until the swingarm moves smoothly up and down in it's travel (disconnect your shock for this)without any sideways movement. Now tighten up the 2 allen head bolts on the swingarm and check for smooth movement. You may have to cut the nuts in half and the same amount of axle so that the chain can change from middle to large ring and give good clearance for your ankle bones. I just cut mine while they were still on the bike, saved a little weight also. I have used this setup for over 2 months now and I ride up to 4 times a week in very rough areas, and I have not had to touch anything yet.

This setup weighs a bit but gives you 2 sets of bearings for the swingarm to pivot on, and a very large axle = strength. Looked up a few quality bike sights, (eg Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Mountain Cycle) and they use axles around 7mm to 10mm diameter. The bearing specialist I went to believes that I will never wear out a bearing with this setup, so long as it is kept clean and lubed.

It changed the handling and feel of my bike a lot more than I thought possible. The only movement I feel now is the rear of the swingarm flexing sideways a bit, and the bottom bracket area flexing a bit when crunching out of the saddle.

Hope all this made sense and is helpful to you. Have you seen any of the new model Haro's, as they have some kind of bearing fitted to them for 2001 models. There are obviously a number of configurations for putting bearings into the Haro, but I used my method because it was simple, easily replaced, could do it all myself except for the axle, and would never wear out.

mcj

Similar Products Used:   As Below

Bike Setup:   This is for Mike's info as the e-mail would not locate you.

Submitted by Bruce McJannett a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Strengths:    Strong and durable with new swing arm. Handles very well.
Worth upgrading as high as you want to go.

Weaknesses:    Old swingarm, pivot bushes.

Bottom Line:
AD 5 was the best upgrade so far. Just put in full bearings and axle for swingarm pivot, strong and smooth with no sideways movement any more. Slight weight gain but worth every gram. This has improved the handling of the bike more than I thought possible.
Would like a 4 inch travel fork next, Sid or Mega Air maybe.
The AD 5 has increased the rear travel to nearly 5 inches, only stopped by the swingarm braces hitting the seat tube if you run the shock too soft.

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   EXO Frame, new swingarm, AD 5 shock, Mozo Pro 3.5 with springs, Plasma Rear & shifters, XT Front, Time ATACs, Azonic ORC short stem, Titec Berserkr seat, Sun Rhino Lite rear with Maxxi Mobster, Mavic 517 SUP with Missile on front, Tektro XT type bracks.

tektro parallel

Submitted by david s a Racer from chapel hill nc

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2000

Strengths:    frame design-crotch clearance, fast handling

Weaknesses:    swingarm-corrected for 2000 mod. i believe i recieved the prototype it has no markings.

Bottom Line:
i bought a 98 mod.exo for $600 broke the swingarm it was replaced with the 2000 mod. with no questions in just a few days. i up graded to the moon and down to under 25lbs. now
i'm looking at the new 2001 xcs it will be even lighter.
the new swingarm is strong like bull. i have beat this bike for over 2 years and it still takes it like a timex. i've raced this thing and recommend it to anyone who wants a perfect do all bike.

Favorite Trail:   estes

Purchased At:   allstars

Similar Products Used:   fsr amp proflex

Bike Setup:   full xtr ct2bar raceface stem 858pedals odi-lock on grips canecreek ad10 rear shock thompson post flite seat bontrager racelite wheels lunarlite tubes specialized team dirt tires king headset 2000 rockshok xc 80

Submitted by Jayson Calder a Downhiller from Thunder Bay, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Strengths:    Great Design, Gusseted Tubing, Frame Clearance, Looks!!
Nut saving "v-bar"
Nice suspension feel

Weaknesses:    Creaky Squeeling Self-loosening suspension pivot
Broken Swingarm (no big deal, got a 00' 3 days later)

Bottom Line:
Great for free-riding or even xc, I have won plenty of xc races on it.
Lots of travel is nice they say this bike only has 4 inches but with the stock rst shock it is actually 4.75
with my upgraded cane creek it is 6 inches!!! FUN!!
Good value for this frame, awesome design plush and lush takes a phat beating. dh xc or just havin fun the haro rules!

Favorite Trail:   Grand Chasm

Bike Setup:   bought the frame only, set up for freeriding Noleen chubby fork, magura hydraulic's, xtr/xt Red rhyno lites cane creek ad 10 rear shock (SWEET AS HELL!!!!) Azonic/Race face stuff etc....

Submitted by J a Weekend Warrior from Oshawa Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Strengths:    I can't speak for the stock bike, I bought the frame only. This is an extremely affordable and capable F/S ride, frame only or complete. It climbs well with little or no bob if you're in the saddle, and well, some, if you're really cranking it out of the saddle. What do you expect without a lockout though? It's a small price to pay for the way it handles going downhill and the way it takes hits. It's at speed that the suspension really starts to work well. Bumps at speed that would have bounced me into who knows how bad a crash all but disappear.

Weaknesses:    It's a bit a bit of a pig in the weight department but not much more than other F/S bikes I've riden. Components are where the weight comes from so it all depends on your setup up, which brings me to... The RST 22 that came with the frame seems okay for now but I'm sure I'll upgrade it when it dies, read the reviews on the RST. The stock EXO as a complete bike looked like it has some cheap components in other words, upgrade like crazy with the fork being the first thing if you're serious. Oh yeah, the bottle cage mount it is a crappy place but they had to put it somewhere I suppose. Hello Camelback...

Bottom Line:
Killer bang for the buck. Buy the frame only if you can and ask the store to put the 2000 swingarm on it (it's either now or later from what I hear). Then build whatever you want around it. I don't care how many pounds heavier it is than my hardtail uphill or cross country, it's worth it. I ride pretty hard and so far I haven't felt it bottom out over drops and airs, even with the cheap RST 22 it came with. There's something about that whole unified rear triangle thing I find, I dunno, sketchy, as in 'that will probably break...' whereas this is a nice simple suspension setup, the 2000 swingarm looks burly as hell compared to the 99, the angled top tube gives you lots of clearance and best of all, it's just as flickable in the air as my hardtail. Five big-ass chili's. Buy whatever you want but if you want a capable F/S frame that can take a pounding ride and still go cross country don't let the cheap price fool you, with a decent setup the EXO can be an great bike.

Favorite Trail:   the ones I haven't riden yet

Purchased At:   Bike-Zone

Similar Products Used:   GT I-drive, Mongoose NX something, Proflex/K2, Gary Fisher Joshua

Bike Setup:   Girvin Cross-Link Elite, Mavic wheels, STX RC (which works fine for me the hell with xtr...) and a bunch of other stuff mostly from my hardtail which I happily say goodbye to.

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Livermore, CA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Strengths:    Price....It was a gift for me, but the fact that it was an in expensive investment allowed me the confidence to go out and tear it up without worrying about the cash equation. Also, the fact that it is a rather beefy, heavy frame allowed me to attempt and improve the dynamics of my riding. The overall weight of the bike, although possibly a weakness uphill, allows for a forgiving ride when pointed down. Tracks well throught the rough and absorbs hits without complaint.

Weaknesses:    The rear swing arm. I broke it at least twice in my first 6 to 8 months, but it was replaced with the 2000 swingarm which increased the overall rigidity of the bike and improved on the downhill stability. The original swingarm allowed for a mushy sway side to side. If this is a problem, get Haro to sell or send the new swingarm (completely retro able) to solve the problem.

Bottom Line:
After two years and some on the bike, it has had its problems. I am a 265-275 pound rider, and am fairly aggressive. Any heavy weight or heavy footed riders will find this to be a bike capable of withstanding your demands. Smaller riders might find the weight a bit tiresome, although the added heft will increase the speed down the hill and keep the bike planted that much better. And when I mean it holds up well, with the speed and drops I go, it takes the crunch when we land like an elephant. The bike has held up to the pressure, for the most part now for the duration of a couple years and a few thousand miles. I ride both trail and street for over 100 miles a week on my Haro. The original swingarm was small by any standard, and recently I have disloged the bottom of the frame (bottom bracket) and tore the whole assembly off the bike. Not bad after two years. The bike has proven itself to be able to take the BIGGEST of beatings, at speed on an unforgiving trails every week. Built to withstand the rigors of hard riding, she isn't exactly the lighest thing around, but this is not really across country bike. Read here more downhillish but rides to the top. Strong legs and lungs are needed to get to the top. The hardest thing to find, however, is a great Haro dealer of which Alan's Family Bike in Oceanside or Bicycle! Alameda out past the Oakland Airport have been great. Once you talk with a dealer that works with Haro well, everything else is fixable. Haro is actually getting the frame I need into my dealer so I can repair and still have he bike I love. As I wait for the front triangle from a 2000 year I know that it is worth the time to have this bike back in action. I will let you know how my new Haro works soon.

Favorite Trail:   china camp

Bike Setup:   Almost all of the bike has changed due to wear. '00Judy SL forks set to 100mm, Sun Mammoth Rims, Velociraptor 2.1 tires, Coda front cranks, Shimano XT rear derail, 8 spd. Shimano gears, 9spd Shimano chain, Gripshifts, XTR Brakes, Gorilla brake booster (rear only) Mountian Speed springs all around, oversize bar ends. GT Platform pedals with Powerstraps

Submitted by scott a Downhiller from shreveport la

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Strengths:    don't really know what came on it stock. I only bought the frame. it was nice while it lasted

Weaknesses:    the frame broke on the pivot point going off a curb

Bottom Line:
the frame broke on a weld and i had had the frame for more than a year so the company would not replace it. the frame worked well with the rear shock thet I had.

Favorite Trail:   mc carthy alaska